Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

New Rubber Advice for 40+ Ball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rubber Advice for 40+ Ball
    Posted: 03/24/2015 at 5:11pm
Hello All,

So I just pulled the trigger on a new BTY Viscaria (I've always wanted this blade), but since I broke the bank a little on the blade, I'll need to opt for some cheaper rubber for now.  I haven't played with the new 40+ plastic ball yet, but I plan on ordering a pack with these new rubber.  So with that said, I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices:

Forehand:
Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
DHS H3 Neo (Will break in/boost with paraffin oil before playing)

Backhand:
DHS TG3 (Maybe boosted?  I haven't read too much about boosting this rubber)
Moon Speed

Can anyone comment on which I should go for?  I picked the Yinhe rubbers because they're supposedly made with the new ball in mind.  I put the DHS rubbers in there because I played them on a friends blade and liked them (though they weren't boosted), but I haven't read much about how they play with the new ball.

Also, I haven't read much about boosting any of these Yinhe rubbers either.  I did read that the 38* is coming in a little harder than the initial batch.  Would it be worth it to break them in with some paraffin?

If you can suggest other cheaper rubbers for FH and BH then I'd appreciate that as well.  My current setup is in my sig for reference.

Edited by RyKnocks - 03/24/2015 at 5:11pm
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
Sponsored Links

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 5:28pm
For starters, I would advise to either boost with something made to boost or not boost at all. Paraffin oil will yield super inconsistent results through the cycle of its effect, and your rubber is never the same after that. It will play differently almost every time you go to use it. I will never touch the stuff again, and I gave it a good run. If you have luck with it, then by all means. But I'd always say try a rubber out of the package and give it a good chance before going there. 

Big Dipper is getting some really strong reviews. I would start with that because you don't need to boost it. If you are thinking chinese rubber on the backhand, why not just go with the Big dipper there too? I'm pretty sure NextLevel uses that on both sides so he's good to ask. 

TG3 isn't all that different to H3 really. My friend gave me a sheet and boosted it up for me for my bday, and i had to make zero adjustments to playing with it. That's the only reason I'm using it instead of the usual H3. 

either way, with most chinese rubber you have to give it a good deal of time to break in no matter what, so I would say do that before trying the boost. 
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

TG3 isn't all that different to H3 really. My friend gave me a sheet and boosted it up for me for my bday, and i had to make zero adjustments to playing with it. That's the only reason I'm using it instead of the usual H3. 

Are you talking about H3 or H3N?  Also, what boosters would you recommend if not paraffin?  I read that most boosters on the market are 90%+ paraffin anyway.  Any thoughts on that?

RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 5:39pm
@beeray1

I also see that you're using the Viscaria blade.  Can you comment on how it performs with the new plastic ball?  I'm curious since I just purchased it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic