Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help aerial become..OVER USATT9000!!![or 2000+ :)]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Help aerial become..OVER USATT9000!!![or 2000+ :)]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 12:57am
Thanks BH-man. Snivy and I have started doing multi-ball in his man-cave. 

Will be sure to obey the speed limits with goals in mind and then ramp it up when the rhythm is there.

Edited by aerial - 04/18/2015 at 1:27am
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 3:04am
aerial,

No one gets to 2000 in a day.  The most important thing is to avoid capping your game seriously with technique you will have to rebuild on the way there and while my computer is working better now and I can see some of the flaws, there is a lot of good stuff there.    I would say that you need to be a bit more focused on how you intend to pose your opponents problems in the first 5 points and then in the rally.  Consistency like I said is good, but you have to pose your opponents problems while being consistent either by robbing them of time or placing the ball in uncomfortable spots or giving them balls they have to make a significant effort to respin etc.  Just rallying with players puts your strokes up against theirs and if you don't have strokes that pose problems, then people will rally with you without problems.  You are no longer 1200 - you need to start causing issues.

Read General Specific's post the most carefully because he has actually played you.  When someone has played you, their insights are often the most helpful because they know how they got their points.  If you close that out, then other problems will emerge on a higher level and that is how we get better as adults who don't train everyday.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 5:41pm
I am not saying you have to go MACHO MAN offensive overpowering to get "There". Certainly one can make the magic 2000 with a game based on control and placement... Just look at area ace Ray Mack. He doesn't really hit for power, but he doesn't miss much, you dont really hit through him, he can counter off the bounce or from table, he understands zones, has great control, moves opponents, reads spin well, understands the game.... I could go on.

Still, I agree with NL that you should a few ways to pressure your opponent. if it is with great placement and deception... great. The way you are developing, it should be with an opening loop and a follow up shot. Your rally play isnt pressuring anyone, it is taking advantage of opponents' inconsistency. You will get away with that less and less as you get better yourself and better opponents.

Another thing that you will get better at as you get better is the ability to see the ball and read spin well. That counts for a LOT.

Edited by BH-Man - 04/18/2015 at 5:54pm
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 10:12pm
I only watched the match with the 2 timeout big-FH kid.  You were killing him with a serve behind his BH side.  I think you used it twice in the first set and he didn't even touch either one.  Then you went away from that for a long time, and when you tried it again in set three you missed the serve.  Then late in the fifth you killed him with it again.  He was standing right on the center line, so you probably could have served that until he either figured out a way to beat you on it, or moved his starting position which would make him less comfortable and open up his forehand side.   

I can't comment on your technique, it's better than mine.  But if you have something that is winning for you every time, you should run with it until your opponent makes you stop.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

I only watched the match with the 2 timeout big-FH kid.  You were killing him with a serve behind his BH side.  I think you used it twice in the first set and he didn't even touch either one.  Then you went away from that for a long time, and when you tried it again in set three you missed the serve.  Then late in the fifth you killed him with it again.  He was standing right on the center line, so you probably could have served that until he either figured out a way to beat you on it, or moved his starting position which would make him less comfortable and open up his forehand side.   

I can't comment on your technique, it's better than mine.  But if you have something that is winning for you every time, you should run with it until your opponent makes you stop.

And then note what he is giving up by stopping it and see if you can take advantage of that as well.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2015 at 6:42am
BTW, change to a classic popular rubber (and blade) and stick with it.   Changing equipment just slows down your ability to learn with what you use as every new rubber and blade requires you to make adjustments when the goal is to play unconsciously.    
Cybershape Carbon
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2015 at 10:01pm
biggest problem i see is his fh is too slow. his shot is good quality but he can only do it winding up and a slower ball. bc that kid's fh was very standard. if you thought it was good, it's because yours is too slow so you feel pressured by the speed. 
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 1:44am
why wouldn't you take the 9000 rubbish so people can understand
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 2:14am
Aerial, you certainly generate lots of pace easily off your FH and I like your reverse pendulum serve in particular. It's subtle and aced a lot of your opponents who expected the ball to break in the opposite direction.

My comment is similar to what GS had to say, perhaps in a slightly different way: when you go for a hard forehand topspin, it looks like you commit 100% mentally and physically. When you play a touch or rally shot, sometimes it looks like you are not fully engaged.

The footwork in to the table and recovery playing the short push on your FH is as important as the footwork when running around your BH to play the big forehand loop-kill. If you get the right foot under the table playing the short push and your head closer to the ball, your control will be better, the opponent's next shot will be more constrained etc. and the rally will be played more on your terms.
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 10:16am
Aerial, I like your overall game, but see a couple things that are really holding you back.  I'd say footwork is number one and forehand stroke is number two.  I think better footwork would help your forehand stroke, but there are some other issues.  I'm not going to discuss tactics or equipment!

Footwork Notes:
You have pretty good balance and step in pretty well for pushes, and short game shots in general.  But you don't quickly step back into a ready position afterwards - or do it only rarely.  Watch top players (General Specific does this ok too) and note how much energy and power they put into stepping in then stepping back out.  Watch how they serve, then VERY QUICKLY move into a balanced, weight forward ready position.  Watch how quickly and powerfully they step too, or move back to take the ball in their "sweet spot".

I saw too many backhands missed, hit weakly, or basically chickened out on due to simply not getting into position.  I'm talking about routine balls just a bit to your left.  A more powerful move left - ending in a balance, weight on the front of you feet position in front of the ball - would massively help your backhand. (Your stroke isn't bad when you are in position and get the timing right.)

You also hit a lot of "routine" forehands with your feet in the wrong, or in "not quite right" place.  I'd like to see more power and focus used in getting to the ball and into position.  From a good balanced position, even so-so strokes can be quite effective.  I think it would be good for you to focus on hitting more forehands with your right foot "more" behind (farther from the table) your left.  Many of yours are very square - some even look like your left foot is back (this could be a camera angle thing).

Forehand stroke:
You don't seem to use your legs much.  Often you don't use them at all.  I saw lots of instances where - for no real reason - both your knees flexed (down) while stroking.  Your whole body drops during some strokes.  If you want to generate power, you need to plant your left foot and drive forward with it (with your body rotating).  Your weight should transfer from at least mostly on right foot at the end of your backswing to mostly on left foot at the finish.  

I really think that more focus and effort put into footwork will help a ton.  Combine that with using your legs more, and your forehand should become a weapon!

bes

aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 8:38pm
Thanks for all the help everybody!

I have since privatized these videos, worrying my opponents did not give consent for people to watch them play.

I have a lot to chew on thanks to all the feedback.

I'll update this thread with my next round of videos from my next tournament, to show the progress of my "poor man's coaching program" haha
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic