9 [45.00%]
8 [40.00%]
3 [15.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yinhe Big Dipper poll
    Posted: 04/23/2015 at 1:35am
wondering if i should get BD. i'm currently using T05 as my primary fh but still miss H3N

Edited by kurokami - 04/23/2015 at 4:26pm
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Sponsored Links

RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 2:38am
I like it, although I'm currently using Battle II as I find it a little more versatile.

Already a huge thread on Big Dipper as well:

If you like H3N, I think I've read that it's more similar to Battle II than it is Dipper.  Dipper would be like a toned down, 80% T05.  So if you're looking for something like that, then give Dipper a try.

Edited by RyKnocks - 04/23/2015 at 2:46am
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 2:52am
Battle II could be your choice

There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 6:30am
Big Dipper 38 deg is much harder now than when I first used it.  I'm investigating more stable alternatives as I can't let my forehand live or die with Yinhe quality control standards.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 7:16am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Big Dipper 38 deg is much harder now than when I first used it.  I'm investigating more stable alternatives as I can't let my forehand live or die with Yinhe quality control standards.

I don't blame ya...

Lack of consistency is my biggest gripe with Chinese "value" rubbers...

Especially when we need repeatable, memorable and consistent strokes...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 7:51am
I was using BD and Battle2 FH/BH both in black on a viscaria on Tuesday night to test. It was my lighter one, too. I can definitely say I was wrong about BD being slow after getting them on the same blade together. I think I might have had a bad glue job the first time I played with it, because after i reglued it, things were NOT the same. 

BD is probably like, on the route back to H3 from tenergy. It's a little fast to have the full benefits of H3 over the table. There's a very slight empty feeling to the sponge. So it has a little less linearity that Hurricane, and a little more than tenergy IMO. Keep in mind I played the 39, compared to the more popular 38, so the 38 is probably even a little faster passively. 

Battle 2 is a lot closer to H3. It's surprisingly fast when you dig into it. Really slow when you don't. Great linearity. I could use this if H3 didn't exist, because it's not just tacky but has good grab. Side note- I've gotta say that in the years since I went away from 729 stuff, their newer sheets are all a nice jump in quality. I was looking at a sheet of origin, and was surprised as well by how nice that was too. 

The thing I don't like as much about BD is the feeling of how it grabs the ball. There's something sort of artificial about it. Artificial isn't the greatest word to describe the feeling, but it's the best thing I could think of. DHS and Tenergy both have a feeling that I haven't found in many rubbers for catching the ball. If it were me, I'd just go back to H3 because you know just as well as anyone why it's great. BUT, BD is 20 bucks. It's just worth trying and if you don't like it, sell it or give it away. It's still a great rubber, and it's popular for obvious reasons when playing with it. But I'm so used to Hurricane that it's really hard for me to make a full switch. I've been using it for like 5 or 6 years now. 

I do have to give it a lot more time though. I am playing a tournament this weekend, so after that I'll throw it on a normal set up and play it for a while to re-evaluate. 

Edited by beeray1 - 04/23/2015 at 7:53am
roypnoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roypnoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 9:46am
Originally posted by RyKnocks RyKnocks wrote:

I like it, although I'm currently using Battle II as I find it a little more versatile.

If you like H3N, I think I've read that it's more similar to Battle II than it is Dipper.  Dipper would be like a toned down, 80% T05.  So if you're looking for something like that, then give Dipper a try.

RyKnocks,

Does BII better control than BD?  How about generating spins on serves?
S2 | Virtuoso | M3
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 10:51am
I was going to stay with BD but I tried BII and like it better. The ball comes off the rubber better. I would hit a number of short serves into the net with BD that would go over with BII (reverse pendulum in particular). I have better control with BII. I feel I can put the ball where I want. I also think BII is faster. BD probably rips underspin better. I wonder if my BD sheet was/has lost its innate boosting.

Neither BII or BD are tenergy substitutes. I do think BI is much closer to tenergy 05, but it is not the same.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 11:41am
Those net moments some people experience with bd didnt exist in moon pro. I guess bd pro will havebetter quality control.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2015 at 11:55am
sorry, meant to put this in the other thread and now I can't delete it.

on the hardness of sponge, the first batch I got was soft.  The second was hard (probably 40 repackaged.)

But the third batch was pretty soft again.  I think they probably were just scrapping to meet demand.  Hopefully they will be able to iron that out.

That said, I don't use it either.  I can serve 99% as spinny with illumina, and the third ball is much easier to hit without the tack.

Edited by cole_ely - 04/23/2015 at 11:59am
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
RyKnocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyKnocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2015 at 6:16am
Originally posted by roypnoy roypnoy wrote:

Originally posted by RyKnocks RyKnocks wrote:

RyKnocks,

Does BII better control than BD?  How about generating spins on serves?

When I play with BII I feel like I have more confidence in my shots. I can feel the rubber grabbing the ball better than BD, and in turn it makes me feel like I can put the ball wherever I want. It's not as fast as BD, but a lore more of my shots land inside the table since using BII.

For serves, serving a dead or short ball with BII is a lot easier. I feel that the spin is better with BII as well.

They're both really good options for the money, but for my FH, I prefer BII.
BTY Viscaria: FH Black Battle II / BH Red 802-40 2.0mm

Galaxy W-6: FH: FH/BH Yinhe Big Dipper 38*
Hautamaeki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hautamaeki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2015 at 8:20am
I'm using a 2º Big dipper, now...this time the rubber 38º is faster, and springier...nothing similar with the first one I got, the 1st was , more like a boostd chinses rubber....I still like it, but, I dont know if the next time I will have a similar one or a different one...I use it in a Infinity blade.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2015 at 12:10am
I tried Battle II - way too Chinese for me.  Lots of good oil, grip, throw and spin, but I just didn't get the same catapult that I got from the old Big Dipper, which as an Euro-Jap rubber guy I definitely preferred.  I could definitely use B2, but right now, since I am trying to rehabilitate my forehand with rubbers like MX-S and I would probably use Big Dipper if forced to choose, I will have to pass.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic