Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

question of talent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Tassie, you mentioning learning, but the ability to learn can in itself be a talent.
What? How on earth did you come up with this? What possible evidence do you have to support this theory?

By this measure, everything is a talent. "I often hit my thumb with the hammer." That must be a talent. "I've never had a car accident." That must be a talent. "That girl smiled at me." That must be a talent.

Just because a person can do something doesn't make it a talent. There are reasons why things are the way they are - common sense, practical, rational, scientific reasons. And if we don't know the reason for something at the moment, doesn't mean that we won't at some point in the future. It's called science, not magic.
Sponsored Links

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 5:57pm
From Merriam-Webster:

Full Definition of TALENT

a :  any of several ancient units of weight
b :  a unit of value equal to the value of a talent of gold or silver
archaic :  a characteristic feature, aptitude, or disposition of a person or animal
:  the natural endowments of a person
a :  a special often athletic, creative, or artistic aptitude
b :  general intelligence or mental power :  ability
:  a person of talent or a group of persons of talent in a field or activity
tal·ent·ed
\-lən-təd\ adjective
tal·ent·less
\-lənt-ləs\ adjective
See talent defined for English-language learners
See talent defined for kids

Examples of TALENT

1. a singer with an enormous amount of talent
  2. I have no musical talent.
  3. Her artistic talent has been obvious ever since she was a child.
  4. They sang a duet in the talent show .
  5. She has a job that makes the most of her talents.
  6. His experience, skills, and talents make him perfectly suited for the job.
  7. There are many good players on the team, but she's a special talent.
  8. The company has hired some expensive legal talent for the trial.
  9. The team has recruited some of the best talent around.
  10. The company is doing a talent search to find the right person for the job.

Origin of TALENT

Middle English, from Old English talente, from Latin talenta, plural of talentum unit of weight or money, from Greek talanton pan of a scale, weight; akin to Greek tlēnai to bear; in senses 2–5, from the parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14–30 — more at tolerate
First Known Use: before 12th century

Related to TALENT

Synonyms
aptitude, bent, endowment, faculty, flair, genius, gift, head, knack
See Synonym Discussion at gift

Rhymes with TALENT

Browse

Next Word in the Dictionary: talent scoutPrevious Word in the Dictionary: taleisimAll Words Near: talent

Hmmm... I rather believe someone from the backwoods of Tasmania to tell me what the word talent really means.  ROTFLMAO!

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 6:20pm
Talent - Strangely, the more quality training you get, the more talented you get. If you had followed the life and efforts of someone you consider talented then it would be very obvious why they are considered talented. 

It is just a word used by the the less able as an excuse for not being at the level of a superior opponent. - If there is some superhuman force that keeps us all from getting as good as them then we can sleep easier end hold our heads up higher than believing that they just worked a whole lot harder and believed in themselves a whole lot more than us.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by JKC JKC wrote:

It is just a word used by the the less able as an excuse for not being at the level of a superior opponent. - If there is some superhuman force that keeps us all from getting as good as them then we can sleep easier end hold our heads up higher than believing that they just worked a whole lot harder and believed in themselves a whole lot more than us.

Or just a word avoided like the plague by those too jealous or blind to see what's really going on...some people are indeed more talented than others, by any definition of the word "talent" that ever existed.

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 6:27pm
Talent can always be explained away.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 6:33pm

Talent can always be explained away.

Then you don't know truly talented people. Of course there is an explanation in principle, but this is very different from saying that we truly understand.

Edited by NextLevel - 05/12/2015 at 6:34pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 6:34pm
I know people who others would consider talented.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 6:37pm

I know people who others would consider talented.

So by definition they are.  What's there to argue?

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 6:41pm
People who want to blame others for their own failures will always find a way. 

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 6:42pm
Not 'God Given', but earned.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 6:45pm

The official definition of the word says otherwise.

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 6:46pm
If I was a top player and had earned my place through hard work, I would find the term talent quite insulting and dismissive of my efforts.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 6:50pm
Why should you, as the meaning of the word "talent" also covers earned skills? 
Many English words carry more than one meaning anyway.  To "succeed" can mean two very different things, for instance. 

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 7:03pm
It is not the definition most people understand.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 7:12pm

It is not the definition most people understand.

To the contrary. People who want to succeed understand perfectly that they need to work hard to achieve greatness, regardless of their mental and physical attributes, or what other idiots told them otherwise. This realization/self-awareness is also covered under the definition of talent.

geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 7:15pm
Talent means that one has skills, but it implies that those skills are more advanced then their peers.  It is a relative judgement in comparison with others.  It is a qualitative measure, not quantitative.

It doesn't necessarily imply where those advanced skills originated, i.e. whether they were innate rather than developed through hard work.  If someone excels in an activity relative to their peers, we say They are talented, or They have talent.

Again it is just a comparison in relation to a group of people.  You might say someone is talented within the context of one group of people, but not necessarily talented in the context of a different group.  It just means You have good potential, or You excel amongst your peers, or You demonstrate advanced skill in your group.

Why are people getting wrapped around the axle on this?  Sheesh!
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 7:52pm

so tell me, how do you earn a sense of taste so acute you can tell how tea was prepared? Or 20/7 vision?

Edited by NextLevel - 05/12/2015 at 7:53pm
Cybershape Carbon
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

Talent means that one has skills, but it implies that those skills are more advanced then their peers.  It is a relative judgement in comparison with others.  It is a qualitative measure, not quantitative.

It doesn't necessarily imply where those advanced skills originated, i.e. whether they were innate rather than developed through hard work.  If someone excels in an activity relative to their peers, we say They are talented, or They have talent.

Again it is just a comparison in relation to a group of people.  You might say someone is talented within the context of one group of people, but not necessarily talented in the context of a different group.  It just means You have good potential, or You excel amongst your peers, or You demonstrate advanced skill in your group.

FZD is an obvious example of this definition of talent.  A lot of chinese 16 year olds go to table tennis sports schools.  Only one is a top world player.  Maybe he is more talented than the rest.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 11:39pm

This discussion has become a lot more stimulating than the highly hyped recent Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.  And I don't even have to shell out $40,000 for a ringside seat to watch the action.  

Nature vs. nurture.  Genetics vs. grit.  Talent vs. tenacity.  A bare knuckle brawl with no end in sight.  

One more time, Mozart baby!
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Tassie, you mentioning learning, but the ability to learn can in itself be a talent.
What? How on earth did you come up with this? What possible evidence do you have to support this theory?

By this measure, everything is a talent. "I often hit my thumb with the hammer." That must be a talent. "I've never had a car accident." That must be a talent. "That girl smiled at me." That must be a talent.

Just because a person can do something doesn't make it a talent. There are reasons why things are the way they are - common sense, practical, rational, scientific reasons. And if we don't know the reason for something at the moment, doesn't mean that we won't at some point in the future. It's called science, not magic.

tassie, no need to act dumb, you know as Well as I that for it to be counter as a talent, it needs to be above average.
if me and a buddy both start practicing a new stroke, at the same time, and at the end of the session, he is able to perform it and Im not, then he is more talented then I am at that.

JKC, none says that its all about talent to go to the top, of course hard work is needed as well, but not everyone who puts in hard work reached the top. Im Fairly confident that you are better then a lot of players who have worked harder then you and that there are players better then you, who have worked less for it.
The holy grail
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 2:31am
Yes, that's my interpretation of 'talent' as well. There is nothing stopping anyone from reaching a certain level (by putting in enough effort), but the one with talent will simply get there quicker or with less effort.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 8:35am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Yes, that's my interpretation of 'talent' as well. There is nothing stopping anyone from reaching a certain level (by putting in enough effort), but the one with talent will simply get there quicker or with less effort.

Or be able to reach levels others would not reach even if they worked as hard.
Cybershape Carbon
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 9:52am

if me and a buddy both start practicing a new stroke, at the same time, and at the end of the session, he is able to perform it and Im not, then he is more talented then I am at that.

No, it doesn't necessarily mean that he is more "talented".   Here is one possible reasons why:
People might have different "learning/performance curves" - e.g. some people might learn very quickly initially, but plateau or max out at lower levels, while others initially acquire skills at slower pace but might continue to improve beyond the levels of the "quicker learners", and frequently have longer skill retention. 
For example, I acquire new physical skills relatively slowly, initially, but after certain amount of practice, I tend to have a "breakthrough periods" when the new skills improve very rapidly (it finally clicks) which allows me to catch up with quicker learners, or even overcome them.

So, if you observe me early during the learning process you might conclude that I have less "talent" than my peers, but you opinion might change if you wait a little longer.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 10:17am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

FZD is an obvious example of this definition of talent.  A lot of chinese 16 year olds go to table tennis sports schools.  Only one is a top world player.  Maybe he is more talented than the rest.

a 7 year old https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=32&v=vtogkDmUeBU

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 10:58am
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

For example, I acquire new physical skills relatively slowly, initially, but after certain amount of practice, I tend to have a "breakthrough periods" when the new skills improve very rapidly (it finally clicks) which allows me to catch up with quicker learners, or even overcome them.

It still fits the definition of talent per Merriam-Webster.

I don't understand why some people keep arguing that the word "talent" must be defined within a very narrow range that fits their personal taste, when it's perfectly clear that it can be used in more than one way, just like tens of thousands of other English words, e.g. to succeed in table tennis or to succeed Obama as the next US president; to sound nice when singing or to sound the depth of your mental aptitude; to table (remove) a proposal for consideration (as used in the U.S.) or to table (introduce) a proposal for consideration (UK).  Just let it go man.

Edited by roundrobin - 05/13/2015 at 11:07am

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 11:38am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

So I looked at this kid and think that kid has talent. 
Others in this thread would look at it say all kids can do that with a lot of training. I don't think so. 

Edited by jrscatman - 05/13/2015 at 11:41am
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Others in this thread would look at it say all kids can do that with a lot of training. I don't think so. 

Great balls of fire!!  That is one vicious little dude.  At age 7 I couldn't even keep my Buster Browns tied.  Wa!

The next Ma Long a dozen years from now?
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Great balls of fire!!  That is one vicious little dude.  At age 7 I couldn't even keep my Buster Browns tied.  Wa!
See Berndt, instead of fiddling with your Buster Brown's at 7, you should have been training....probably been a world champion!
The kid's amazing - especially that net shot at the end - loved his reaction! Can't teach that!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 1:42pm

Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

See Berndt, instead of fiddling with your Buster Brown's at 7, you should have been training....probably been a world champion!
The kid's amazing - especially that net shot at the end - loved his reaction! Can't teach that!
what is more interesting is the video link  at the end showing the kid playing when he was in dippers!!!

Edited by tom - 05/13/2015 at 1:42pm
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

It still fits the definition of talent per Merriam-Webster.

I don't understand why some people keep arguing that the word "talent" must be defined within a very narrow range that fits their personal taste, when it's perfectly clear that it can be used in more than one way, just like tens of thousands of other English words, e.g. to succeed in table tennis or to succeed Obama as the next US president; to sound nice when singing or to sound the depth of your mental aptitude; to table (remove) a proposal for consideration (as used in the U.S.) or to table (introduce) a proposal for consideration (UK).  Just let it go man.

@roundrobin - The answer to your question is simple - I focus on the definition of talent as natural, inborn, aptitude because that was the definition implied by OP and the poster to whom I responded.

Btw, I'm puzzled by you statement "Just let it go man".  Can you explain what you mean?

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic