Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

question of talent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 6:02pm
Andy,
Again, you have completely avoided answering the key question of whether she has "talent" for painting or not if your doubts are unsubstantiated.  You and Tassie simply speculated that she's put in enough hours of secret training to achieve what she did without an iota of evidence.  Rather than focusing on some florid nonsense from the writer of her website, or the integrity of all "media personalities" involved, answer the key question. 

Edited by roundrobin - 04/30/2015 at 6:17pm
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Sponsored Links

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

Three prominent groups I see:

Group 1:  This pretty common group consists of very experienced players who have barely improved in the last XX years.  None of them EVER seek coaching.  None of them EVER practice.  They come to the club, then start playing matches - usually with a small subset of like-minded, similar level players.  These players never change their strokes, improve their footwork, practice serves, or even pay attention to why they might have won or lost a point, game, or match.  They just play.  Most of them actually play at a pretty good level - but it is essentially the same level they were playing a decade ago.  They also have a great time and enjoy TT immensely!

Group 2:  This group is made up of players that do get training, but still struggle.  Most appear at clubs after playing with horrible technique (no training) for MANY years.  They have DEEPLY ingrained flaws in technique, footwork, positioning, and tactics (what worked in their garage doesn't work so well in the club).  They also generally prefer to play (almost) all the time rather than practice.  Some have pretty impressive skills regardless of technical flaws (oddities?).  These players generally improve faster than the above group, but rarely improve as quickly as they wand.  Some of them improve quite a bit and fairly quickly though!

Group 3:  This group is composed of players who REALLY work on their games.  Even among this group, some players really do pick things up much quicker than others, and some pretty clearly have more potential than others.  But with that being said, a lot of that potential is due to their practice habits.  The most successful of this group have a (relatively unusual) willingness to seek advice and coaching, do what is needed to fix flaws, learn new skills, and implement them (regardless of initial outcome) in matches.  They generally are more prone to seriously and honestly ponder why they lose or win - rather than making excuses for losses and spraining their arm patting themselves on the back for wins.  They set goals regularly, e.g. I want to be able to beat Player A by summer and would like to be able to compete with player B by fall.  They daydream about new serves, new ways to handle troublesome serves, or tactical improvements - rather than how awesome it would be to get the same blade and rubber as some top 10 player.

I'm not saying that ANYONE can reach an elite level in TT.  Very, very few will ever make the US top 100, much less the ITTF top 100 (or 1000!).  Elite level TT takes some special skills for sure, but it also requires a LOT of hard work.  I'm convinced that anyone willing to put in the work can improve pretty steadily - and likely up to a pretty strong level.

bes

Agree with this, the groups are well defined. I play with many people aged around 18-30 who fall into Group 2/Group 3 hybrids, in the sense that they HAD flaws in the past, but now train a lot at the local university centre, where they always think about how to improve and always want to improve their game.

I probably fall into Group 1/Group 3, my level has improved, but also dipped, without a (very) noticeable improvement in the past 2 years. Probably because of my large frame -> sub-par footwork!
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2015 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

Someone was asking about Liu Guoliang's view on talent, so Ill post this here, which was discussed in another thread:

Apologies if this was already posted, as I'm reading super fast before work today.

LGL: I think there are 3 persons who have the best feel for backhand. One is Wang Hao, the other is Ovtcharov, and another is Zhang Jike. These 3 persons, with respect to just the backhand, the most well-rounded is Wang Hao. The one with the most threatening backhand is Ovtcharov. [...]

If we disregard Wang Hao, then Ovtcharov. Ovtcharov definitely has a better feel for the backhand than our Zhang Jike.

YY: It's purer.

LGL: Yes. We have the deepest impression of him while watching a video playback of him against Zhang Jike in an Olympic match. Zhang Jike and Ma Long could only shake their heads and say, "This backhand is too strong."

YY: Do you think he trained for that or is he just gifted?

LGL: He's gifted. It's impossible to train to that.

... and , of course, we should fully trust LGL, word by word.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 12:52am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Andy,
Again, you have completely avoided answering the key question of whether she has "talent" for painting or not if your doubts are unsubstantiated.  You and Tassie simply speculated that she's put in enough hours of secret training to achieve what she did without an iota of evidence.  Rather than focusing on some florid nonsense from the writer of her website, or the integrity of all "media personalities" involved, answer the key question. 
I am very happy to go on record as saying that she is a very skilled artist. Feel free to quote me on that.

But, there is nothing in her work that cannot be explained apart from passion, encouragement and hard work. There is no magic "woo", as Andy so eloquently puts it. And no, I'm not saying that anyone can pick up a brush and achieve the same results. Akiane is special - special in exactly the same way as anyone who devotes their life to their art is special. She is most definitely not special because of the mumbo jumbo.

Btw, aren't you pleased I'm trying to open my mind?
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 1:03am

I'm going to go out on a very flimsy limb here and say LGL is away with the fairies. Ovtchaorv's backhand is trained. The video evidence is there for all to see. The fact that his backhand is stronger than ZJK and ML simply indicates that he has found something they haven't, and it may even be something as simple as desire - perhaps the big O loves his backhand and therefore dedicates more attention to it. One thing is for sure: he wasn't born with that backhand.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 1:15am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

I'm going to go out on a very flimsy limb here and say LGL is away with the fairies. Ovtchaorv's backhand is trained. The video evidence is there for all to see. The fact that his backhand is stronger than ZJK and ML simply indicates that he has found something they haven't, and it may even be something as simple as desire - perhaps the big O loves his backhand and therefore dedicates more attention to it. One thing is for sure: he wasn't born with that backhand.

LGL said there's something more to Dima's bh than just training.  That's his opinion, but at least try to understand it first, before posting nonsense.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 1:16am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Someone was asking about Liu Guoliang's view on talent, so Ill post this here, which was discussed in another thread:

Apologies if this was already posted, as I'm reading super fast before work today.

LGL: I think there are 3 persons who have the best feel for backhand. One is Wang Hao, the other is Ovtcharov, and another is Zhang Jike. These 3 persons, with respect to just the backhand, the most well-rounded is Wang Hao. The one with the most threatening backhand is Ovtcharov. [...]

If we disregard Wang Hao, then Ovtcharov. Ovtcharov definitely has a better feel for the backhand than our Zhang Jike.

YY: It's purer.

LGL: Yes. We have the deepest impression of him while watching a video playback of him against Zhang Jike in an Olympic match. Zhang Jike and Ma Long could only shake their heads and say, "This backhand is too strong."

... and , of course, we should fully trust LGL, word by word.

No, Ringer is simply supporting my point that LGL believes in talent for table tennis, nothing more, nothing less.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

I am very happy to go on record as saying that she is a very skilled artist. Feel free to quote me on that.

But, there is nothing in her work that cannot be explained apart from passion, encouragement and hard work. There is no magic "woo", as Andy so eloquently puts it. And no, I'm not saying that anyone can pick up a brush and achieve the same results. Akiane is special - special in exactly the same way as anyone who devotes their life to their art is special. She is most definitely not special because of the mumbo jumbo.

Tassie, she's special because she's a freak of nature, the same as Einstein and Hawking....something developed in her brain at young age that far exceeded that of normal kids.  Not everyone can be special in this sense, not even close.  The same kind of physiological anomaly probably happened with Mozart, Beethoven, Tiger Woods, Usain Bolt and Michael Jordan.  Most people are simply average, just as 2600-2700 are the average levels of table tennis professionals around the world.  However, Waldner, WLQ, ZJK and LGL are irrefutably special.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 3:28am

Andy,

In all my years of reading words which are placed in near vicinity to each other, I've never seen "unsubstantiated" and "doubts" used like that.  I think it's telling of how you think, which is very different to me.  I've seen "unsubstantiated" and "claims" used together a lot more.

In evaluating the integrity of Akiane's claims, it's all admissible.  She is skilled, but I don't have much to go on about how those skills came to be apart from the website, which is chock full of total nonsense.  She has a marketing campaign, a whole commercial identity.  The mystical secret sauce helps her to sell stuff.  It's reasonable to suspect the motivation behind the whole Akiane movement.  You make the claim that something special is involved, but offer no evidence.  In fact, the claim you make is of the unknowable "special brain" type, which is very hard to prove at this stage without scanning her head and being able to interpret the results.  I'm pretty sure you don't have her brain scans on file, so this is simply your guess at this point.  I could just as easily say that her talent was sent down from moon pixies one night, and you can't prove that this didn't happen.  You must present evidence to support YOUR claim, or the only reasonable position to take is doubt.

She has skills, and MY guess is that she is similar to many child prodigy cases where she was exposed to painting at a very early age, took to it (for whatever reason) and then sunk many hours of practice in.  After a few years of that, she's massively more skilled than her peers of the same age due to practice.  There are a lot of cases of this type - motivated parents have started their children down a path of intensive training at an unusually early age.  The Williams sisters.  Tiger Woods.  Mozart.  All had parents with singular goals in mind - to shape their children into something amazing.  Now don't get me wrong, there may be physical, genetic advantages which match up well to their individual pastimes (the Williams sisters are the obvious examples due to their size), but their "talent" is simply their early start and intensive training.

History shows that child prodigy cases like this tend to look a lot less mysterious when you actually get down to the nuts and bolts of what actually happened to the child.  There isn't enough information about Akiane to make a definitive decision in her case IMO, but based on historical accounts of other similar child prodigies I'll consider her another highly trained early starter until evidence of magical intervention (as her website claims) or a special brain (as you claim) is presented.

RR - you want to believe, and don't need evidence.  I don't want to be deceived, and demand evidence.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 3:56am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

She has skills, and MY guess is that she is similar to many child prodigy cases where she was exposed to painting at a very early age, took to it (for whatever reason) and then sunk many hours of practice in.  After a few years of that, she's massively more skilled than her peers of the same age due to practice.  There are a lot of cases of this type - motivated parents have started their children down a path of intensive training at an unusually early age.  The Williams sisters.  Tiger Woods.  Mozart.  All had parents with singular goals in mind - to shape their children into something amazing.  Now don't get me wrong, there may be physical, genetic advantages which match up well to their individual pastimes (the Williams sisters are the obvious examples due to their size), but their "talent" is simply their early start and intensive training.

History shows that child prodigy cases like this tend to look a lot less mysterious when you actually get down to the nuts and bolts of what actually happened to the child.  There isn't enough information about Akiane to make a definitive decision in her case IMO, but based on historical accounts of other similar child prodigies I'll consider her another highly trained early starter until evidence of magical intervention (as her website claims) or a special brain (as you claim) is presented.

Your claim that all the examples you provided above are mostly simply due to early training is total hogwash.  You have zero proof of it, yet you keep insisting it's the main (if not the only) reason of their astounding success.  Moreover, since you admitted that the Williams sisters did have some superior genetic components that contributed to their overwhelming success in tennis, your position is therefore indefensible.   I am done with this "conversation".

Edited by roundrobin - 05/01/2015 at 4:20am

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 4:17am
RR - these examples all had unusually early starts and unusually intensive training.  That's a fact.  You say they have special brains, but you seem to have no evidence of that.  I'd accept special brains if you could prove it.  Not sure why you don't accept early/intensive as an alternative option when it's the only one of the two which has any factual evidence.  It must be a mystery.

Good luck!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 4:31am

RR - these examples all had unusually early starts and unusually intensive training.  That's a fact.  You say they have special brains, but you seem to have no evidence of that.  I'd accept special brains if you could prove it.  Not sure why you don't accept early/intensive as an alternative option when it's the only one of the two which has any factual evidence.  It must be a mystery.

Good luck!

Where's the proof that Akiane got early start and unusually intensive training Andy?  She started drawing with a pencil without being taught, then she started to paint and far exceeded what was capable by any six year old.  You choose to believe what you want to believe.  Also you seems to be utterly ignorant of what's going on in the rest of the world, particularly in Asia.  There are literally millions of kids in China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc. who are subject to the earliest "intensive" training possible with no expense spared to become the next Einstein, Mozart, Akaine, or many known sport stars, but how many of them made it?  Millions of Asian parents want fame and fortune through their kids and they are willing to invest as much time and money as possible to make it happen!

The Williams sisters grew up in Compton, a few miles from my neighborhood without access to any professional training at all.  Their father was their only coach and he was only an amateur.  With just their father coaching they managed to crush all competition at their age brackets.  Please get off your high horse and learn the facts first.

Also, I did not say all these artists and athletes are special simply due to their unique brain.  I said they have genetic makeups/manifectations that clearly exceeded those of the average people.

Edited by roundrobin - 05/01/2015 at 4:51am

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 4:55am

The Williams sisters grew up in Compton, a few miles from my neighborhood without access to any professional training at all.
Here's the Williams magic woo:

Quote Serena Williams was born in Saginaw, Michigan, on September 26, 1981, but she and her sister were raised in the economically depressed and often violence-riddled Los Angeles suburb of Compton. Her father, Richard Williams, ran a private security firm, and her mother, Oracene (who often uses the name Brandy), was a nurse. A fan of televised tennis, Richard Williams dreamed of the opportunities that might await his offspring-to-be: “I went to my wife and said, ‘Let’s have kids and make them tennis players,’” he told Newsweek.

In 1991 Richard Williams, who managed and coached both Serena and Venus, made the first of several unorthodox moves in regard to his daughters’ career: he decided that they should enter no more tournaments on the national junior circuit…  Serena and Venus were sent to the Florida tennis academy of teaching pro Ric Macci, who had also worked with teenage standouts Jennifer Capriati and Mary Pierce

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Serena_Williams.aspx 

Quote It’s been well documented that Richard Williams began training his progenies when they were four years old. But Williams told CTV’s Canada AM on Friday, that his grand plan for rearing would-be world champions began before their births, when he drafted a 78-page manifesto outlining how his daughters would reach the top of the tennis world.

http://canadaam.ctvnews.ca/williams-patriarch-s-parenting-tips-for-success-be-rough-tough-strong-1.2091557

Quote When the children were young, the family moved to Compton, California, where Serena started playing tennis at the age of three.  Her father home-schooled Serena and her sister Venus and to this day, Serena Williams was and remains coached by both her parents.  Williams's family moved from Compton to West Palm Beach, FL when she was nine so that she could attend the tennis academy of Rick Macci, who would provide additional coaching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serena_Williams

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 5:01am
Tassie, if you think only the Williams sisters had a dad that planned on making their daughters who they are today, then I have a bridge to sell you LOL.  There are countless parents with the same plan and even better execution, but could not remotely achieve what they did.  For example, do you have an idea how many Asian parents invested all their time and money to emulate Tiger Woods' career for their kids?  The ignorance of people who argue talent does not exist is astounding.
The Williams sisters crushed the competition with just their big-mouth dad's coaching.  He's a well-known jerk in our area ever since his daughters dominated their age groups locally.  They didn't get any real coaching until later than most kids who are serious at tennis!  His dad was a quack who got lucky.  As to his manifesto and his revelation that he plotted his daughters world domination he's full of it.

Edited by roundrobin - 05/01/2015 at 8:41am

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 5:07am

Where's the proof that Akiane got early start and unusually intensive training Andy?  She started painting with a pencil without being taught.  You choose to believe what you want to believe.  Also you seems to be utterly ignorant of what's going on in the rest of the world, particularly in Asia.  There are literally millions of kids in China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc. who are subject to the earliest "intensive" training possible with no expense spared to become the next Einstein, Mozart, Akaine, or many known sport stars, but how many of them made it?  Millions of Asian parents want fame and fortune through their kids and they are willing to invest as much time and money as possible to make it happen!

The Williams sisters grew up in Compton, a few miles from my neighborhood without access to any professional training at all.  His father was their only coach and he was only an amateur.  With just their father coaching they managed to crush all competition at their age brackets.  Please get off your high horse and learn the facts first.

Also, I did not say all these artists and athletes are special simply due to their unique brain.  I said they have genetic makeups/manifectations that clearly exceeded those of the average people.

I am sceptical of anything Akiane-related RR. She's a skilled individual wrapped up in spiritualism and commercialised into a sellable product. I can't believe you can read her website and not be suspicious.

As for the Williams - it's well documented that they had a very unusual training program. Sure, Richard wasn't a recognised coach, but he imposed a highly intensive routine for the sisters which concentrated on repetition and technique. Venus herself has said "He's really a great coach. He's very innovative. He always has a new technique, new ideas", so she places some value on his coaching abilities even if you don't. When the sisters were 12 and 11 they relocated and used a pro coach. This is not a "normal" childhood.

But of course, they have some obvious genetic advantages based on their size, which confers an advantage when playing a game like tennis. I'm not denying that. But I don't call their size a talent, I call it size. I don't call their technique and skill a talent - I see it as the end product of tens of thousands of hours of practice. And I don't see their prodigy status as at all interesting because they had the opportunity and motivation to get started early and stick with it. Nothing magical here.

I'll say it again - "talent" is just a word which gets used when you don't know the detail of what has actually happened. It's a shorthand. I only have an issue with it when it takes on a mythical life of its own, and then it becomes an imaginary wall people feel they can't climb over. You say Akiane has some voodoo brain but offer no evidence, so I guess in your world other kids should just give up early if they find the going tough because they don't have the voodoo brain.

I don't deny genetic advantages, so please don't misstate my position. But if you can't demonstrate a causal link with evidence between one thing and another, then you're just howling at the moon. The Williams sisters being tall is an obvious advantage for Tennis, but you're a world away from using that to prove Akiane's miracle brain. Akiane is actually the kind of example which particularly grinds my gears because they are packaging and selling the myth of special prodigal talent. It looks like an enterprise designed to separate people from their cash.

With you bringing up the Williams and Tiger Woods, I suspect we are actually quite close in outlook on the whole thing. The difference is what can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The Williams and Tiger all had early/intensive training with enthusiastic parents who had existing passion in the sport they were pursuing. For both cases height is a factor, which is obvious and fair enough. But to go to the next step and talk about sparks and special brains is just pseudoscience.

I would also like you to bear in mind that I'm not intractable on any subject - I just need compelling evidence. For example, I've got the book suggested by NL, and I'll be sinking some time into it when I can.

As for the pretty wild claims about what's going on in Asia, I'm happy that you've got an excellent case study of millions of Asian families lines up for publication, and I can't wait to read it in a peer-reviewed journal somewhere. Or is that just mostly guesswork from you?

I thought you'd given up and gone away?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 5:13am

The ignorance of people who argue talent does not exist is astounding.

The very term "talent" is ignorance, and the worst kind - willfull ignorance. It just describes what hasn't been discovered in real practical terms yet.

You keep talking about all those millions of families in Asia, so why don't you do something constructive and do a study to help them out? Why do so many fail? Why do so few succeed? Instead of just saying "talent" and levitating around the room, why don't you go and find out WHY?

But you don't need to put the effort in, do you? You've already decided that "talent" is the real, known reason behind that, despite not actually articulating what "talent" is actually manifesting as in each case.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 5:14am
As for the pretty wild claims about what's going on in Asia, I'm happy that you've got an excellent case study of millions of Asian families lines up for publication, and I can't wait to read it in a peer-reviewed journal somewhere. Or is that just mostly guesswork from you?

Why do you think in your mind that anything Asians do must be published somewhere in English so you can "peer-review" it Andy?  The world has changed.  Why don't you learn Mandarin so you can keep up with it?  Too hard?  The world in English is shrinking by the minute.

*BTW I don't make wild claims.  Just because something you don't know exists it means they don't, or that I must prove it to you.  It's utterly ridiculous.  Your ignorance is simply unbelievable.

Edited by roundrobin - 05/01/2015 at 8:39am

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 5:23am

Why do you think in your mind that anything Asians do must be published somewhere in English so you can "peer-review" it Andy?  The world has changed.  Why don't you learn Mandarin so you can keep up with it?  Too hard?  The world in English in shrinking by the minute.

Well, that's a strange response.  I had thought you wanted to make a case for the mysterious Asian talent woo and to back up what you said.  But I guess it was hot air, and it's my fault that I'm just not aware of all the foreign evidence which my ignorance keeps me from.  Wow.

Publication in a peer-reviewed journal carries a lot of weight when proving a point, in any language.  Give me a mandarin paper if you want, I don't mind.  You've made this into some weird cultural standoff for some reason.  But all you've actually done is made a baseless claim about millions of people, and now I have to learn Mandarin to grasp the evidence?  I don't think so RR.

Let's have some case studies of Asian families who applied similar approaches to the Williams family and we can see how things ended up so different.  That probably feels like actually doing something productive instead of hand-waving generalisations though, so don't put yourself out if you don't want to.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 5:28am

*BTW I don't make wild claims.  Just because something you don't know exists it means they don't, or that I must prove it to you.  It's utterly ridiculous.  Your ignorance is simply unbelievable.

Unfortunately, these are the demands of a reasonable, rational person.  You make the claim, you provide some sort of evidence.  The burden is on you.

For example, did you know that millions of British people grow wings and fly around during a full moon?  It's amazing.  I don't expect you to appreciate this because of the cultural barrier I have suddenly decided exists for the purposes of protecting my ridiculous claim from scrutiny.  But it happens, and if you don't accept it then you are ignorant.  Wow, the ignorance of people these days!  Can you believe the ignorance!  No one simply believes anything I say any more.

All you're doing is deflecting.  The claim of "millions" of Asians is an opportunity for you to actually dig into the data and find out what's going on, and then present some findings.  At this stage, I don't find an offhand, imprecise comment compelling evidence to support YOUR idea of talent.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 5:30am
As I said before Andy, I am not interested in educating anyone or prove anything, because this is the freakin' internet.  It's a complete waste of time.  If you want to verify what I've said, do it on your own or simply keep dismissing them as pure hot air.  Your choice.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 5:33am

As I said before Andy, I am not interested in educating anyone or prove anything, because this is the freakin' internet.  It's a complete waste of time.  If you want to verify what I've said, do it on your own or simply keep dismissing them as pure hot air.  Your choice.

Oh, OK.  Well this was a bit pointless then, eh?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 9:19am
The bullsh*t that Mozart, the Williams sisters, Michael Jordan, Usain Bolt, Tiger Woods, Einstein, Hawking, Akiane or the like have all had countless early training is spewed by those "talent-is-not-needed apologists" such as Syed etc.  In the case of Mozart there's never an actual documentation of this fact, nor on the Williams sisters except by their big mouth dad after they became famous, and by for-money motivational writers with their own agenda.  The fact is the Williams sisters grew up around my neighborhood, and they never received any professional coaching until much later than most child prodigies!  Akiane never received any professional instruction, nor had devoted 10,000 hours of "deliberate practice" before the age of SIX either!  Stop spewing such unsubstantiated bullsh*t to support your own agenda Andy.

BTW I've followed the development of Akiane for almost ten years.  The marketing packaging of her success that you focused on and despised so much came much later.  She was already world-famous without "the" website.  LOL

Edited by roundrobin - 05/01/2015 at 10:02am

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 9:38am
Wooo.  You sound particularly well-adjusted at the moment RR.  Do you need a hug?

It sounds like you don't particularly value the coaching that the Williams sisters received before they got to the stage of using a pro level coach.  This is despite the sisters themselves going on record to discuss how valuable it was, and how unusual it was, and so on.  I think you undervalue this to support your own agenda, but I would never be so crass as to call it bullsh*t.  It's just a difference of opinion.

The main problem I have is your alternative proposition is....what?  I want to know and understand what talent actually is, behind the casual label.  You just want to call it "talent", some sort of nebulous, unknowable thing which can't be measured or understood but definitely exists.

So, what was is that separated the Williams sisters from the rest, in your opinion?  And if you just say "talent", then you must acknowledge the nature of your circular argument.  Talent exists because of the Williams sisters.  What makes the Williams sisters so unique is their talent.  And round and round you go.  Of course, if you are prepared to dig down and actually work out what that mysterious talent means to the Williams sisters in the real world, then you lift the veil on the mystery of "talent" and define it in physical, testable, repeatable terms, and that is where things become useful and better defined than just woooooooo talent woooooooo spooky.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 9:44am
You just hate the word "talent" Andy but you do accept variations in genetic make up and its manifestation in different individuals.  What is talent then?  It's you who's completely confused.  In Asia "talent" is called "God's Gift".  Do you like this term better?  LOL 

Also I strongly suggest that you completely disregard anything you "read" about the Williams sisters because you don't know the half of it.  Around my neck of woods they are local celebrities and I know perhaps a million times more about them than you ever could.

Edited by roundrobin - 05/01/2015 at 9:57am

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 10:06am
Roundrobin,

There is no difference between saying you ate not talented enough to do it and you can't do it. That is Andy's point. People abuse the word talent all the time. It's one thing to say that your heart condition makes you unlikely to be a world class athlete and its another thing to say you lack the talent to be a world class athlete. The factors that go into developing talent are often significant. What is unclear is how you predict that someone has talent. People say all kinds of rubbish about talent that they have no justification for. You sound like someone who might use the word as an excuse not to educate someone. In a case you might be right, but you need to have more evidence than the person cannot do it. Pointing out some achievements that the person has at an age when other people similarly exposed failed is one way of doing this, but just saying that the person is talented is an after the fact claim.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 10:18am

You just hate the word "talent" Andy but you do accept variations in genetic make up and its manifestation in different individuals.  What is talent then?  It's you who's completely confused.  In all parts of Asia "talent" is called "God's Gift".  Do you like this term better?  LOL 

Also I strongly suggest that you completely disregard anything you "read" about the Williams sisters because you don't know the half of it.  Around my neck of woods they are local celebrities and I know perhaps a million times more about them than you ever could.

"God's gift" is even worse, as you can probably guess.  For that to carry any weight you'd need to prove the existence of the God first.  Yuk.

Anyway, your argument from personal experience.  Maybe you're right about the Williams sisters.  I don't know a lot about how reliable a source you are, but you sure do sound confident.  At this point, you are a faceless forum guy on the other side of the world, and I have to weigh that up against all the other quotes and facts from reasonably reputable journalists.  You might have the inside track.  You should write a book and blow the lid off the whole conspiracy!  Some corroborating interviews with close personal friends of the sisters, etc.  But you're up against a lot of other information already available to those who look.  They all could be wrong, and you could be right, but it's a hard sell at this point.

Anyway, I'm asking you what talent is.  You're evading the question.  If it wasn't the Williams sister's early start and rigorous training which gave them the edge, what was it?

I have already told you what I think it is earlier in this thread.  It's the label we attach to people who have skills beyond what you would usually expect to see, but cannot explain in real terms.  It's the hand waving we do when we can't be bothered to do proper research.  I don't so much hate the word itself (it would be a bit irrational to hate a word - it's just a collection of letters), but how the idea that talent is some sort of immutable, indescribable, "you'll know it when you see it", magical property of people.  This myth does two things - discourages further research ("they're just talented, that's all"), and places an imaginary stumbling block which discourages development in beginners where they misinterpret initial failure for some kind of total inherent inability.

So, for the first thing - research discouragement.  There is a danger in catch-all terms like talent that we start by saying that someone is talented at swimming because they are tall with big feet.  Now I think this is slightly off, because a tall bigfoot would still drown without some training, so these attributes are more like competitive advantages, but I can see where the label would come from in this case.  I wouldn't say "they were born to be a swimmer", for example.  It's a shorthand to speed up a description about the swimmer, rather than going into more detail.  However the detail is available for all to see.  But then we move to art (picking a subject close to your heart, it would seem), where the "talent" becomes more mysterious and difficult to put your finger on.  You state that they have abnormal brains, but I struggle to see the actual evidence of the brain abnormality, so the most I can say about this is that it's a guess by you.  You have leaped from obvious physical advantages in a game situation (height/feet/swimming) to a general "it must be something, not sure what, probably the brain, yeah that's it, there's the talent right there".  But correlation is not causation, and all that.  But maybe you feel like you've figured it out, and we don't really need to look any further into Akiane and what makes her special.  Instead I say it remains unknown and we should try to figure it out.  There might be some amazing insight available if we could be bothered.

And for the second, well that's more obvious.  By making "talent" some kind of end-product, impossible to judge or evaluate in more detailed terms, the concept becomes binary in some minds.  You either have it, or you don't.  How can people not give up in the face of an uphill battle if the general noise coming from society is that some mystical thing lives inside of you which you can't change and you may as well forget about it.  You end up with "some people can do math, and some cannot", which is an incredibly discouraging message to send out.  If fundamental rules like this are going to be applied, the least the rule-setters can do is demonstrate what's going on.  Provide evidence.  Demonstrate a causal link from something, somewhere to the maths ability.  But we don't get that, we just get the circular argument you have given.  Maths talent is that thing the maths people have.  The proof is that the maths people exist and have the talent. 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 10:21am
I have a good case study right here in my house, if you'll play along.

My daughter is 4 years old, but she is an excellent swimmer.  Really good.  Can do endless lengths of the pool with good freestyle technique and is currently learning with a group of 6-7 year olds, who are also good but are just her equal, and she is noticeably better than the boys in her group (for some reason).  Her instructors say that she's one of the youngest students they've ever seen to get to this stage.

Would you call her talented, or would you like to ask me more questions about her background?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 10:36am

I have a good case study right here in my house, if you'll play along.

My daughter is 4 years old, but she is an excellent swimmer.  Really good.  Can do endless lengths of the pool with good freestyle technique and is currently learning with a group of 6-7 year olds, who are also good but are just her equal, and she is noticeably better than the boys in her group (for some reason).  Her instructors say that she's one of the youngest students they've ever seen to get to this stage.

Would you call her talented, or would you like to ask me more questions about her background?

I would ask questions (about the peer group especially), sure, but I think that is clearly talent as the only thing I know that almost always easily distinguishes talented people is precocity vs the right peer group.  Everything else is much harder to usefully understand, which is why teachers of lots of learners tend to be reasonably good at identifying talent at the level they teach.

As for artists being talented, there are things that we know happen in some of their brains (like higher than average neural connections of more senses to each other) that are above average.  Called synaesthesia or something like that.  

In general, I agree with you.  On the other hand, some people aren't realistic about the changes of age and their genetic limitations (you've also expressed that as well).   But it's all largely probabilistic in our current knowledge base. 

Edited by NextLevel - 05/01/2015 at 10:37am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 11:09am

You state that they have abnormal brains, but I struggle to see the actual evidence of the brain abnormality, so the most I can say about this is that it's a guess by you.  

I would be curious to know your thoughts on people like Daniel Tammet and others with synasthesia.  

Quote Tammet has been "studied repeatedly"[11] by researchers in Britain and the United States, and has been the subject of several peer-reviewed scientific papers.[12] Professor Allan Snyder at the Australian National University has said of Tammet: "Savants can't usually tell us how they do what they do. It just comes to them. Daniel can describe what he sees in his head. That's why he's exciting. He could be the 'Rosetta Stone'."[9]

In his mind, he says, each positive integer up to 10,000 has its own unique shape, colour, texture and feel. He has described his visual image of 289 as particularly ugly, 333 as particularly attractive, and pi, though not an integer, as beautiful. The number 6 apparently has no distinct image yet what he describes as an almost small nothingness, opposite to the number 9 which he calls large, towering, and quite intimidating.[13][14] In his memoir, Tammet states experiencing a synaesthetic and emotional response for numbers and words.[15] 

Edited by Ringer84 - 05/01/2015 at 11:20am
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2015 at 11:26am
Well, since you (sort of) asked, I'll give you some background.

My wife is tall, and tallness runs in her family on her father's side.  He's a big man.  She and her brother got some of that action with above-average height and foot size.  They were both highly competitive swimmers right through to university age (my wife still holds several university records, nearly 20 years ago now).  But then they stopped for a variety of reasons.

Our daughter is tall, with big feet for her age.  In that peer group she's of equal size really and is often mistaken for a 6-7 year old in general.

The combination of my wife's past (enthusiasm to teach my daughter, knowledge of the training she went through) and my daughter's 95% percentile height has allowed us to sink a lot of time into her development, in a non-competitive kind of way.  Just the fact that she could touch the floor of the pool well before other 4 year olds was a huge bonus, because she could safely and confidently learn to swim without armbands or floats, which unlocked a lot of training early.  This is quite a big advantage.

So is she just a talented swimmer?  Touched by the gods of the pool?  

I hesitate to call this stuff "talent", because being tall or big footed isn't a latent "ability" as such to me.  In this case they are surely enablers to get things moving earlier than you might expect, and if later on in life she wanted to swim for a club or whatever then they will provide an advantage at the sharp end.  But at this stage, her skill is down to my wife and her instructor's dedication, and the physical development side is just something which allowed us to start early.

Later on, at a higher level, you might say she has a talent, but I would say she's tall and has big feet.  Maybe we would both be right, but the key would be to be able to go into detail as to why she was talented.  I wouldn't be happy if you said she was talented and your attitude was that this was the only reason why she is doing well, but I'm sure you wouldn't do that, because it's more complicated than black and white.

If we then move this type of thinking over to TT, what do we get?  With swimming, there are obvious physical factors.  With TT we have a whole heap of interacting, overlapping stuff which might help development, or might not, and no easy way of untangling the mess.  At the pro level we have a big variation in height and arm length.  We have vast differences in levels of aggression. There is a wide spectrum.  So in the absence of definites, we return to the general "something is going on, let's call it talent" as if that would carry the same sense of validity as the swimmer.  You are seeing something, but what is it?  And if you can't get close to defining what it is, how can you then decide who has and who has not got the sparkly magic?  How does LGL do it?

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

In general, I agree with you.  On the other hand, some people aren't realistic about the changes of age and their genetic limitations (you've also expressed that as well).   But it's all largely probabilistic in our current knowledge base. 

And this is probably it.  You take 50 people, whittle them down to 20 as best you can.  Accept you will likely make mistakes somewhere in that selection, but have confidence that the system you push them into will lift them up and level them off in some way, and you might get 10 good specimens out of the meat grinder, 4 incredible ones, 1 alien.

But to just chalk that up to "talent" and then stop is to miss a trick.  What led to the 10, the 4, the 1?  Can we find out what factors are at work, can they be spotted earlier, can selection be improved?  You have to dig in to the reality - the physical stuff - to continue to expand knowledge.

LGL's comment on Dima's backhand is a strange one to me.  IMO, Dima's BH could easily be trained into someone given enough time and motivation.  I'm not sure why you would want to do that to a junior, but it could be done.  Perhaps it was more tongue-in-cheek - "you'd have to have talent to use a mad backhand like that and be successful".  Probably not.  But again, if you dig down into the history of Dima's BH development, you would most likely discover something interesting about how it came to be, and why he stuck with it.  I doubt that he flew out of his mother's womb, grabbed a stethoscope from a nearby table and started doing weird BH motions with it in the delivery room.  I think LGL is using the word lazily here - in the absence of real knowledge of Dima's BH, or time to discuss the things that we know, we can just call it talent for the purposes of this one-line quote.  This is part of the problem which irks me, but I don't have LGL here to ask him about it.  Call it talent if you want, but don't let that stop you from pulling it to pieces, seeing where the moving parts are and what makes it tick, take the useful stuff for yourself, and understand more than you did before. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic