Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blade/Rubber Discussion (in-depth)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade/Rubber Discussion (in-depth)
    Posted: 05/05/2015 at 12:20pm
I found this particularly interesting article:

Now you may ask: why is this article interesting to me? Besides the very very long length of the article, it gives opinions/thoughts on several issues that question even the most veteran equipment pros in this forum such as:

1) From the Nexy Kanaph thread started by BH-man:

Originally posted by aroonkl aroonkl wrote:

Manufactures spend time and effort to hollow out the handles.
You spend more time and effort to add weight and fill them in.

What benefit do they try to achieve?
What benefit do you try to get? ....... You use heavy rubbers and the blade feel too head heavy?
(Just curious. No offense.)

2) My own personal question to someone else at my club that did not get answered:
Why do pros (and others from gluing guides that I've read on this forum) recommend cutting 1-2mm more on the rubber than the actual size of the blade? The common answer is that rubber shrinks but the article provides another explanation.

3) Controversially: What should beginners use for their blade/rubbers? His answer may surprise you.

4) Analysis of blades - plies?, carbon/composite?, sound?, and combination with rubbers.

Disclaimer: I did not write this article but I definitely believe it is worth a read. I actually skimmed it the first time and read the conclusion, but I went back and read the whole damn thing afterwards. While everyone may or may not agree with what the author writes, I love how he gives explanations to his thoughts.

Edited by Chicobo - 05/06/2015 at 5:30pm
Sponsored Links

Da Baobei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Baobei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 2:19pm
Great in depth article, thanks for sharing.

Although I couldn't find the answer to 2) you mentioned
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Da Baobei Da Baobei wrote:

Great in depth article, thanks for sharing.

Although I couldn't find the answer to 2) you mentioned

On the very last paragraph of Section 2 (roughly halfway down the article):

"As an interesting side note, there was a time when it popular to cut your rubber which a rather large overhang on its sides and the grip. These were called wings or flippers. This artificially made the blade/rubber combination more flexible ( ruler comparison: case 2 becomes case 1 )  and the blade vibrated noticeable more. As a self test, the next time you cut a rubber glue the complete quadratic rubber sheet to the blade and bounce the ball a few times while holding your blade in your hand. It will vibrate heavily."
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 8:22pm
Interesting read for plywood blades,  I did download Audacity and recorded the sounds of all the various blades I had laying around, and learned quickly the relationship between sound and vibrations.  Great feedback.  
OldSchool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 6:44am
Good stuff, thanks. I can relate to what he says about how soft, medium and hard sponges react at different racket speed. I used to play with Acuds S2 and it was great on the soft spiny shots but was plain bad when you wanted to power loop.

Edited by OldSchool - 05/06/2015 at 6:49am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 2:02pm
I think everyone should understand concepts, principles, and how to apply them, the article is good reading and should cause people to think and question.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 3:42pm
Thanks for the link.

If anything I learned the difference between low quality and high quality blades and what to look out for.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 1:06pm

text4109

text4047

text4035

text4023

Sorry about this post made a bit of an error copying this section onto another file...

Edited by lineup32 - 05/07/2015 at 7:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic