Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A fast Donic Applegren Allplay?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A fast Donic Applegren Allplay?
    Posted: 05/05/2015 at 4:51pm
I'm looking for a faster "version" of the Donic Applegren Allplay but with the same great feel, soft touch and control. Do you guys have any recommendations?

thanks!
Sponsored Links

Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 7:35pm
OSP Virtuoso Off- (I have no clue about composition etc but the feeling is very similar, but Virtuoso is a bit faster and has more power away from the table - in my opinion it also facilitates more spin with the Adidas P7 and other similar rubbers)
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2015 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

I'm looking for a faster "version" of the Donic Applegren Allplay but with the same great feel, soft touch and control. Do you guys have any recommendations?

thanks!

Look for a heavy one... there is always variation amongst a batch, and the heavy ones (over 90g) would give you exactly what you're after.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 2:40pm
how is the Nittaku Violin in comparison?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 4:04pm
I played with the Donic and the Virtuoso side by side, so I can tell you that Virtuoso is really what you are looking for - marginal upgrade in speed and a lot better away from the table... same control... amazing blade
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Tyler45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2015 at 4:54pm
I've always wondered about this too. Wouldn't the expert be a nearer match. I find the allplay great at distance as well with a good catapult and have read that the expert also has that second gear. (Ps I visit the osp site at least once per week to dream, but can't afford one yet ;) lol

But i do miss a bit of pace when emergency blocking with the allplay.
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2015 at 12:43am
just placed an order for the Virtuoso. The Adidas P7 is probably a little too quick for me.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2015 at 12:41am
Great that you chose the Virtuoso - you will not be disappointed - the Extra is not bad, but it is too close to the allplay to be considered an upgrade - it's more of a substitute with better quality.

The Virtuoso is a real upgrade, but control will not be an issue - what rubbers do you intend on using with it?
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2015 at 2:58am
I'm going to try Donic blufire jp03 on FH in 1.8mm and Tibhar Genius Sound 1.8mm on BH
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2015 at 1:24pm
So first feedback after getting it in and playing for about 2 hours:

Feel: It definitly feels a little less "soft" to me compared with the Applegren Allplay. The Virtuoso has plenty of touch and plenty of feel but i guess the best description would be that the blade feels "thinner". Has plenty of dwell time but works well on chops and short-short too.

Control: I guess the Bluefire JP03 just doesn't have enough control for me or rather, its too fast for my taste. I liked the Nimbus Soft better and will probably switch to a slightly harder sponge on the FH.
The blade itself is equally controllable to the Donic. I've ordered a Razka 7 and a Vega Europe to test on FH.

Speed: Definitely faster than the Allplay but certainly not an comparable to the Liu Shiwen or the TB ALC that I have - which is a good thing! It plays like and Off- or All+ i would say. Still a level that I would easily recommend to even new players.

Finish/Quality: I mean...it's perfect. The best finish/quality i've ever seen on a TT blade. Almost a piece of art.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2015 at 9:05pm
I'm really glad you're enjoying the Virtuoso! If you want soft, not so fast - very controllable good spin and great performance rubbers - try Friendship Aurora! I bought them for a club mate and her game improved considerably, because now she can spin aggressively and also attack with good speed, and keep the ball homing in onto the table. 

Another Rubber that goes very well with Virtuoso is Aurus / soft / sound - sound being the softest.

I think these type of rubbers will be even better for you from the impression I get.... 

Surely you will like them because they are just excellent rubbers and superb value for money.

Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

So first feedback after getting it in and playing for about 2 hours:

Feel: It definitly feels a little less "soft" to me compared with the Applegren Allplay. The Virtuoso has plenty of touch and plenty of feel but i guess the best description would be that the blade feels "thinner". Has plenty of dwell time but works well on chops and short-short too.

Control: I guess the Bluefire JP03 just doesn't have enough control for me or rather, its too fast for my taste. I liked the Nimbus Soft better and will probably switch to a slightly harder sponge on the FH.
The blade itself is equally controllable to the Donic. I've ordered a Razka 7 and a Vega Europe to test on FH.

Speed: Definitely faster than the Allplay but certainly not an comparable to the Liu Shiwen or the TB ALC that I have - which is a good thing! It plays like and Off- or All+ i would say. Still a level that I would easily recommend to even new players.

Finish/Quality: I mean...it's perfect. The best finish/quality i've ever seen on a TT blade. Almost a piece of art.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2015 at 10:22pm
the Aurus seems to be at about the same speed level as the JP03 thou?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2015 at 10:28pm
Well, the thing with the Aurus is - it's very very controllable...in fact to me it is the most similar rubber to a lightly glued Sriver... almost identical. If you do get an Aurus - I think Aurus Soft could be a good choice - but sound is even softer if you like soft rubbers.

The Aurus can be fast when you hit hard  (as Virtuoso is faster than Allplay), but its ok because Aurus is very controllable - you will like it. 

Aurora you'd like too :)
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2015 at 2:17am
just ordered Airoc S, Aurus Soft, Acuda S3 and Andro Rasant PS - let the testing begin ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic