Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Turn your white plastic balls orange.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turn your white plastic balls orange.
    Posted: 05/17/2015 at 1:12am

Playing with plastic balls in a pure white room is irritating. You'd think at least DHS would be selling orange plastic by now since they had the two tone balls. Thinking of easy ways to change the color while we wait and wait on manufacturers. We don't want the playing properties altered, tables marked up, or rubbers streaked.

My thoughts...highlighters, permanent markers, etc. might rub off or make the ball slick. Worth a shot if I had any. Dyes, RIT maybe but it seems like these plastics might require special dye, dyes might need heat or solvents that alter play.

First ill attempt, not pure orange, but not pure white either...covered with orange crayon extremely thick, then rubbed it down with hot water and a paper towel until no more orange came off.  Still a bit worried about it marking stuff up so I just keep rubbing.  Seems mostly stained or just an extremely light wax coat that doesn't seem like it'll affect play.

Try your ideas and post them!

Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
Sponsored Links

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2015 at 1:26am
Too much time in your hands haha!

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2015 at 2:30am
Originally posted by eonblue eonblue wrote:

Playing with plastic balls in a pure
white room is irritating. You'd think at least DHS would be
selling orange plastic by now since they had the two tone balls. Thinking of easy ways to change the color while we wait and wait on
manufacturers. We don't want the playing properties altered, tables marked up, or rubbers streaked.

My thoughts...highlighters, permanent
markers, etc. might rub off or make the ball slick. Worth a shot if
I had any. Dyes, RIT maybe but it seems like these plastics might require
special dye, dyes might need heat or solvents that alter play.

First ill attempt, not pure orange, but not pure white either...covered with orange crayon extremely thick, then rubbed it down with hot water and a paper towel until no more orange came off.  Still a bit worried about it marking stuff up so I just keep rubbing.  Seems mostly stained or just an extremely light wax coat that doesn't seem like it'll affect play. Try your ideas and post them!

Highlighter should work the best without any playing change.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2015 at 5:33pm
To me the best thing about the plastic ball has been the loss of the orange ball!
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2015 at 8:54pm
highlighters adds weight, my Grand Daughter coloured "a" table tennis ball black and the bounce is alot lower than normal
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 7:43am
Yup, that was me. Maybe I'll give it a go with a poly ball and rit dye since everyone at the club prefers orange. Plastic should take well to the dye. Just have to make sure not to melt the ball. Too pricey for much trial and error. 
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 11:12am
I tried a yellow sharpie highlighter I had around the house.  It didn't seem to dry and wiped off really easy back to pure white.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2015 at 3:05pm
I was thinking of PAAS easter egg dye.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2015 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I was thinking of PAAS easter egg dye.

Ha!  Real funny since half of them are shaped that way.

I think the ticket might be dip-n-glow plastic bait dye (unscented of course).  It's what they use in disc golf to get the neon colors.  I have a bass pro shop close so hopefully they will have it.  Some type of mild solvent with plain old food coloring might be worth a try.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 7:45am
If anyone has any cheap poly balls (maybe the ipong) they would like to find the melting point of, that would be helpful. Or you could donate some to me for the experiment. Wink Basically, I'd put one in a pot of water and slowly raise the temperature carefully eyeing a candy thermometer. If they can handle a simmer, that is kinda crucial to getting the rit dye to due more than just a light tint.

I'd like to then buy a pack of the xushaofa and do a decent job. Assuming the balls can take the temperature, the rit dye definitely will not fade or come off on the table. 
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 11:55pm
dip-n-glow did an awesome job coloring the ball but melted it and ruined the bounce.  ingredients include acetone. diluting 8/1 with water still ruined the bounce.
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2015 at 12:30am
get a day job waste of time and chemicals
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2015 at 8:11pm
Hmm... interesting. So, if post-molding coloring was possible, why would the makers of these balls not do that? If such process would add to the price, that would be only minimally. Or the properties of this plastic are such that permanent coloring does not work well? I am guessing they (the manufacturers) are probably working on this.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2015 at 2:42pm
I have inside information that the ittf is considering a rule change such that all walls and barriers must be colored an approved orange.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2015 at 1:56am
Neon yellow, new method.  Not perfect but I think I can see it better in my basement.  It's super bright in person.

Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2015 at 2:45am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2015 at 7:24am
Nice job
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2015 at 12:04am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

http://www.pingpongballs.net/

BE HAPPY !!

igorbot,

these aren't 40+ balls, nor is it known what the quality is, since they produce the balls themselves
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2015 at 1:03am

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Neon yellow, new method.  Not perfect but I think I can see it better in my basement.  It's super bright in person.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>

Yellow .. should be approved as an optional color allowed by the ITTF ..
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2015 at 11:47am
Alcohol based inks will work and are fairly permanent.  Sharpies and most inkjet inks are alcohol
based.  To get a uniform finish, you can turn your sharpie into an airbrush, by blowing a narrow
stream of air past the tip.  (Secure the ball when you do this.)
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2015 at 12:16pm

Neon yellow, new method.  Not perfect but I think I can see it better in my basement.  It's super bright in person.

Digging the yellow colored one. Whats the new method? Details please. Thanks
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic