FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Missing is Part of Good Table Tennis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missing is Part of Good Table Tennis
    Posted: 05/18/2015 at 6:15am
My coach often says that missing is part of the game.  I would like to discuss briefly the importance of this statement in the context of practice, match play and overall improvement.  Experienced players tend to understand what I am talking about but newer players developing better strokes as well as players who do not record their matches/practice to get an objective view of their experience may find my comments helpful.  Hopefully, this will help some people who do not have the time to reflect on how important "missing" is in both the learning and competitive process.    It is important to trust the learning process and understand that both successes and mistakes inform it, especially in practice.  Most learning adults tend to overvalue the successes and devalue/undervalue the mistakes.  In reality, a full understanding is built by embracing the mistakes as well especially if they are made in the framework of good technique.

When learning new strokes, many inexperienced players like to focus on their success rate at getting the ball on the table.  This leads to their playing weak shots and never getting better.  They should focus one shadowing the stroke correctly, especially the proper usage of the whole arm and the shoulder (and possibly body and legs), and letting the technique just express itself at the table slowly at and at a comfortable pace in a learning environment.  Slow multiball, using a robot, or receiving extremely precise and slow blocks help.

While the stroke will not come out correct initially, at least three things happen - the first is that the brain is continually adapting and understanding the stroke because it knows the desired outcome.  This is not a conscious process, but it is always happening.  The fact that it is happening should not be ignored just because one is not conscious of it.  The second is that there are physical connections being made, muscles being developed etc. to support the correct stroke.  This is part of the adaptive process, but while the idea of adapting taking time might not click with every player, the fact that muscles need be built should.  Finally, as the arm mechanics are correct and the shoulder mechanics are also taken into account to avoid injury, other elements can be built on them once control has been established to get more power.  But make no mistake, this all takes time.  The third is that by processing both the successes and the mistakes, the stroke is being better and better calibrated.

The above explains why a player's overall game becomes more advanced over time if he tries to learn the correct stroke, even if at the beginning, he is worse off than players who try to get the ball on the table.  As long as he is fit enough to support the technique he is learning (and most people are fit enough to support arm and shoulder mechanics, but even more advanced mechanics with body and knee usage follows the same general principles), the resources that the body diverts to adapting to the stroke will improve and the co-ordination will increase.  This co-ordination enables you to build other elements of the stroke and make them more powerful as well.

I have been lucky to learn a lot recently from Brett Clarke.  One experience I shared with him was watching him teach a student to loop backspin with his backhand.  Brett simply taught the student how to loop topspin with excellent technique over a period of time.  Then without instruction, he told the student to switch the robot to backspin and let the student loop with the same stroke.  After about 4 sets of 30 balls (1 minute per set), over a space of about 15 minutes or less, the student started having a good success rate at looping backspin without any instruction whatsoever.  However, when the student was told to loop topspin, the student began to loop those balls off the table.  Brett explained that he had done this a few times, and that it challenged the way most of us think we learn good technique.  He said that ideally, once one has mastered correct looping technique, all practice should be done with multiple spins, especially in multiball, to force the brain to read and adjust the stroke once one has good looping technique on either side.  According to Brett, a high level loop is largely the same stroke with a few changes to adapt to different spins.  So for the student to master looping, all the student had to do was practice against different spins and that all practice, once an advanced stroke is developed, should ultimately mix in different spins at some point to prevent the brain from fixating on looping one kind of spin.

This is one reason why players who complain about looping backspin should play choppers, or players who complain about playing pips should play more pips players.  The reason they can't do so well is that they have likely avoided those players, when they should be facing those players more often or at least putting some of those spins in their practice.  The best practice would be to play a twiddler who would enable them to practice against inverted and pips or backspin and topspin in a single rally so they can master and adjust to both ball simultaneously!  Initially, they would make lots of mistakes, but if they are patient and have a good training partner, they will eventually come out of the process much better.  It takes a relaxed and confident person to allow the mistakes to occur so that the brain can calibrate the stroke from them.  I have started to incorporate such practice into my training and just one session produced remarkable gains.  If you can't find a good practice partner, multiball is more than sufficient.

This process of experience being key is not just important in practice - it is also critical in matches.  On the whole, reading spin is the most difficult part of this game, but just as important and difficult is adjusting one's reactions to it quickly. One of the most underestimated abilities of the mind is the ability to adapt during the course of a match.

In general, players all adapt to serves better as the match goes on.  This happens quite straightforwardly during a match whether a player is aware of it or not, with or without serve return instruction!  Therefore, if you are a good server, do not expect on your serve advantage to remain at the same level throughout the match, and if you are struggling with serve return, expect your returns to get better as the match progresses, even if not to your satisfaction.

Unfortunately, there are players who struggle with returning serves who do not trust this process and let it aid their play.  They let their frustration with missing serves and misreading spin affect their confidence and strategic process and fail to keep the other parts of their game consistent.  There is a frustration that should come with losing points, but one should not compound it by adding pressure that makes you play worse.  I used to be one of these players, but nowadays, I just let it go.  Usually, I miss the serves of better players and what I have discovered watching my videos is that I almost always return the serves better as the match gets deeper, whether I am focusing on doing so or not.  The improved returning may not help me win the match, but against players who I am competing more reasonably with, or who are closer to me in rating but have better serves, it relieves me of feeling like I have to play 10 times better on my own serve.  As long as I am ready to fight for 5 games, I have time to figure it out.

Even in rallies, many of us are taught that we should loop backspin like this or topspin like that or no spin like this - the verbal information is great, but there is no substitute for just exposing your brain to the spins and letting your stroke adjust. During a match, everyone does not produce the same level of backspin and topspin.  Most of the best players keep their shots safe by playing as high on the ball  as possible with great racket head speed.  However, when your shots are not going in, you need to be able to adjust your contact point on the ball or swing trajectory, depending on what is happening.    If you realize this and you expose yourself to different spins in practice, the process will happen naturally.  This is one of the dangers of using a robot.  If you do use one, be sure to find ways of varying the spin setting, such as letting the ball bounce into the table like a serve to slow down the speed and spin on some shots, or practicing against backspin and topspin of various levels in the same session.

In summary, your brain is learning, whether you realize it or not.  Do not be afraid to miss the ball in practice, and as long as you trust your strokes, don't be afraid to miss in matches either.   Over time, you will adjust better, whether you feel like it or not - however, not realizing it will cause anxiety that may very well destroy the process.  Aid it by letting it happen and concentrating in a relaxed but focused manner that will enable the process to function at its best.  Accept the misses as part of the learning process and track your error rates.  You will be surprised at how often you improve without noticing!
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 11:41am
Cybershape Carbon
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 11:55am
Thanks NL. Very sensible insights.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 1:27pm
NL, you are becoming quite a philosopherSmile.
I agree with almost everything you say.
Re robots, one way to get different spins or rate of spin and placement is to load the robot with all sorts of balls. Mine has balls that were some of the first 40mm balls plus some cheap Chinese stuff and modern decent Butterfly. In one session the balls will fall in at least a dinner plate sized area expanding to about an 18" diameter. I am always having to adjust. I have a box of around 100 DHS balls if I want to be more precise, but I've never bothered.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

NL, you are becoming quite a philosopherSmile.
I agree with almost everything you say.
Re robots, one way to get different spins or rate of spin and placement is to load the robot with all sorts of balls. Mine has balls that were some of the first 40mm balls plus some cheap Chinese stuff and modern decent Butterfly. In one session the balls will fall in at least a dinner plate sized area expanding to about an 18" diameter. I am always having to adjust. I have a box of around 100 DHS balls if I want to be more precise, but I've never bothered.

1+ this of mixing balls in your robot. It works very well. Either that or my robot has randomness built in (prakktismate)   Wink
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 4:41pm
NextLevel - ...

Yup, I agree 100%. Playing safe stagnates...

Whistler snowboarding moto "If you ain't fallin, you ain't learning"...

Also, that video is an absolute gem... Proper Wow! Some real NextLevel #%$*.

I feel empowered to take the random concept to my training sessions to improve my game play... Thanks!
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 4:44pm
Learning or relearning should never stop
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
diedona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 5:01pm
Great text! I see myself often in the group that is afraid to miss the table.

Missing is a great opportunity to learn, but when you found yourself not knowing what to do to correct the movement... It's kinda of a hell.

I relate this topic a lot with the corrections of my forehand stroke. Missing, learning, developing and having fun!
Xiom Aria - ST
Xiom Vega Europe 2mm (bh & fh)
Brett Clarke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 6:12pm
NextLevel,

Great thread! And not because you've mentioned me or whatever.

I'm going to make a video in the LTT series with the exact lesson you mentioned (it's recorded) to demonstrate how you can learn to loop off backspin in a few minutes without instruction, providing your technique is uncapped.

When I teach 10 year old kids (with good technique) to loop off backspin, I just randomly change the multiball to backspin without mentioning it. Their brain makes the necessary adaptions without discussion or instruction. It normally takes about 1 minutes before balls stop going into the net. They aren't "smart" enough to ask the wrong questions, so natural learning takes place. I resist the temptation to be a great coach by instructing to "spin it higher" or whatever.

It a little harder with adults for a few reasons. They want answers to questions such as:
- should I use my legs more?
- should I open the bat/paddle face?
- do I finish higher?
The list is never-ending and it all leads to tension and mechanical looking strokes. Suddenly the bicep and triceps are engaged simultaneously (I've called this conflicting muscular tension elsewhere) which leads to deadlock.

The difference between looping off topspin and backspin is probably a change of bat/paddle angle at some stage during the stroke. Let the brain work all that out as you enjoy failing for a few minutes. Then you can start alternating between backspin and topspin and give your brain a whole new experience, without your ego mind.

Cheers,
Brett

Table Tennis Videos by Brett Clarke
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Brett Clarke Brett Clarke wrote:

NextLevel,

I'm going to make a video in the LTT series with the exact lesson you mentioned (it's recorded) to demonstrate how you can learn to loop off backspin in a few minutes without instruction, providing your technique is uncapped.

When I teach 10 year old kids (with good technique) to loop off backspin, I just randomly change the multiball to backspin without mentioning it. Their brain makes the necessary adaptions without discussion or instruction. It normally takes about 1 minutes before balls stop going into the net. They aren't "smart" enough to ask the wrong questions, so natural learning takes place. I resist the temptation to be a great coach by instructing to "spin it higher" or whatever.

It a little harder with adults for a few reasons. They want answers to questions such as:
- do I finish higher?
The list is never-ending and it all leads to tension and mechanical looking strokes. Suddenly the bicep and triceps are engaged simultaneously (I've called this conflicting muscular tension elsewhere) which leads to deadlock.

The difference between looping off topspin and backspin is probably a change of bat/paddle angle at some stage during the stroke. Let the brain work all that out as you enjoy failing for a few minutes. Then you can start alternating between backspin and topspin and give your brain a whole new experience, without your ego mind.

Cheers,
Brett

You're alive!!!  Good to see you.  I had my first session looping backspin and topspin in the same session in a longer rally and it had such an effect on my forehand understanding that I felt compelled to write something about it.  A friend complained about his repeatedly looping what he thought was backspin off the table because his paddle was often too open and he lifted too much etc. so I had to show him that looping backspin is not about what he thinks it is.  

And then we had diedona posting his videos and I initally felt that he was too afraid to miss as part of learning, though I see he has made some amazing progress as well...
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

NextLevel - ...

Yup, I agree 100%. Playing safe stagnates...

Whistler snowboarding moto "If you ain't fallin, you ain't learning"...

Also, that video is an absolute gem... Proper Wow! Some real NextLevel #%$*.

I feel empowered to take the random concept to my training sessions to improve my game play... Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words - I had my first session alternating looping backspin and topspin in the same rally (not just open on backspin then topspin after, but the chopper can either chop or loop at his own choice) and I think it really helped a lot in my understanding of the stroke.  So I recommend it to anyone who doesn't like a particular spin etc. or just thinks that his reaction time is bad.

The video was posted on Larry Hodges blog this morning - I watched it, felt it was in line with the theme of the post so I posted it here.
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

NextLevel,

- do I finish higher?

Cheers,
Brett

You're alive!!!  Good to see you.  I had my first session looping backspin and topspin in the same session in a longer rally and it had such an effect on my forehand understanding that I felt compelled to write something about it.  A friend complained about his repeatedly looping what he thought was backspin off the table because his paddle was often too open and he lifted too much etc. so I had to show him that looping backspin is not about what he thinks it is.  

And then we had diedona posting his videos and I initally felt that he was too afraid to miss as part of learning, though I see he has made some amazing progress as well...

Yeah Dude, I'm alive. I'm in Kiribati (google it) with the worst internet access ever! It's like 10 minutes to open a webpage. I'm on Skype though, so you guys can catch me there if you guys want to kick stuff around. I have 2 more days here and then I'm back to internet heaven in Fiji.

Cheers, Brett
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 7:09pm

- do I finish higher?

Table tennis needs to be zen.  As soon as you start putting your mind in various places it all goes to crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

- do I finish higher?

Table tennis needs to be zen.  As soon as you start putting your mind in various places it all goes to crap.

Very true Baal, When the mind is busy with instruction, horrible things start to happen. 

The problem is when you have terrible or capped technique which won't allow you to progress. In the martial arts, they advocate slowing right down to learn the techniques and then using zen principals to perform at high speed. In TT, adults often start at relatively high speed without learning what timing really is (perfect coordination of backswing and stroke) and seriously lack understanding of technique.

My only concern with this thread is adults may take it a step further and think that technique doesn't matter. Technique matters.
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 8:56pm
I remember reading an article by one of the Chinese coaches, and he was criticizing countries that emphasize consistency above all else e.g. hit 100 or 200 loops / counters / whatever on the table without missing (Japan was one country mentioned).

He basically said that if you hit that many in a row on the table, you aren't going for enough. I once trained with a guy who had a good WR, and I think what prevented him getting even higher was a lack of power. I don't think it's any coincidence that his emphasis in training was getting as many balls in a row on the table as possible during drills.

Edited by ttTurkey - 05/18/2015 at 8:57pm
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2015 at 12:44am
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

I remember reading an article by one of the Chinese coaches, and he was criticizing countries that emphasize consistency above all else e.g. hit 100 or 200 loops / counters / whatever on the table without missing (Japan was one country mentioned).

He basically said that if you hit that many in a row on the table, you aren't going for enough. I once trained with a guy who had a good WR, and I think what prevented him getting even higher was a lack of power. I don't think it's any coincidence that his emphasis in training was getting as many balls in a row on the table as possible during drills.

Yeah that was one of my thoughts also, great post. I once saw kenji matsudaira performing near to 100 or maybe more hard FH topspins with fast pace, but it was a regular "fast" pace for a pro. 

All of japan national members can do that also and you can see them struggling to perform an effective loop, chinese loopers are far more effective than japanese. Mizutani for example didnt develop much as expected making me wandering wtf are his coaches doing with him ? why arent they teaching/forcing him through specific practice sessions to stay closer to the table, 95 % of his loops are mid distance loops with good speed but its not enough to counter a top chinese looper.

The europeans with efficient power loops close to the table are only 3...maze boll and dima, I would add samsonov also but his game is more "smart placement play" a perfect all round player

I think many coaches miss the big picture and thats one of the reasons that prause rosskopf and amizic are so successfull
my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2015 at 1:15am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

- do I finish higher?

Yup thats the 1st thing coaches should say to players when they first enter the training hall. Forget everything have fun, and focus on the damn ball, enjoy the game dont think at all and look at that little white thingy spinning.

After a long abscence from TT (11 years I think) I had to spend 3 more years of constant worrying and thinking and changing my practice drills every 1 month, or worse experimenting constantly with new equipment or "different" strokes.  Some of these experiments made my technique better yes, but 3 years its just too much and the info I have earned was not worth it at all when I look back.

Eventually and after lots of talks/practices with coaches and teammates I finally "remembered" my old explosive and fluent strokes which felt incredibly good but I was like "gee 3 years and I was missing the most important thing => calm mind, relaxed body and just go for it, look at the ball and play on auto pilot"

As a young kid, as most aspects of life, things are simpler and I think thats one of the reasons that kids learn "faster" than adults. They dont think/question too much. 

thumbs up to nextlevel for the excellent video on motor learning skills. I was always wandering/trying how the hell can I improve training routines that are similar to match play.

my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2015 at 4:41pm
You can go for putaway power, and probably should, if you are (a) young, (b) physically fit, (c) mobile, (d) have access to high level coaching, state of the art equipment, and plenty of time to practice, and (e) aren't terribly worried about injuring yourself.

Otherwise, it is better IMO to be a consistent player with a relaxed mind, relaxed body, relatively good technique relative to the amount of time you can spare to practice, and rely on spin and placement, not sheer power, to win points.  At the level we mortals play, stroking a fh or bh as though you were a member of the CNT is going to result in a lot more unforced errors than winners.  A table tennis ball, after all, does not care how a point is won.
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic