FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

More fake Tenergy on Ebay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More fake Tenergy on Ebay
    Posted: 05/29/2015 at 4:01pm
Don't buy Tenergy (or any Butterfly products) on Ebay!!!!!!

The other day a noob at my club showed up with a new setup he bought on ebay... Fake Tenergy 05 on the FH and fake Bryce Speed FX on the backhand. I don't know if the blade was fake or not, because it was a Primorac 2000 (made-in-China to begin with). I knew the Tenergy was fake from 15-20 feet away. LOL The graphics on the Bryce looked a little more real, but the rubber sheen was all wrong.

I will ask him about the seller/ebay posting and post it here for fun.

Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 4:24pm
I sent messages to the sellers and EBay before.  They really don't care.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Don't buy Tenergy (or any Butterfly products) on Ebay!!!!!!

The other day a noob at my club showed up with a new setup he bought on ebay... Fake Tenergy 05 on the FH and fake Bryce Speed FX on the backhand. I don't know if the blade was fake or not, because it was a Primorac 2000 (made-in-China to begin with). I knew the Tenergy was fake from 15-20 feet away. LOL The graphics on the Bryce looked a little more real, but the rubber sheen was all wrong.

I will ask him about the seller/ebay posting and post it here for fun.

how much did he paid for the setup, 60$?
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 9:34pm
A few questions for those of you who bought your fake Tenergy on EBay:

Does the fake Tenergy come in as many varieties as the real Tenergy?

Did you have to modify your technique to take advantage of everything the fake Tenergy had to offer?

Did you pay as much for your fake Tenergy on EBay as you would if you bought if from a TT outlet or Butterfly online?

Does the fake Tenergy play as well as the real Tenergy?

And finally, the most important question of all:  if you didn't know the fake Tenergy was fake, did you become as good a player as you would have become had you used real Tenergy (in other words, the placebo effect)?
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2015 at 11:33pm
As far as I can see there are fake Tenergy of all versions except 25FX, 64FX and 80FX.

They are more like a mid-hard non-tacky Chinese rubber under $10. They are still playable but far from the real thing.

There are $3 yellow sponge crap to $8 red sponge less crap around. Sellers can play dumb and pretend to be innocence and charge $50+ for a fake so there is no rules behind how much they are making. Rule of thumb is that if one is below normal retail, even by just 10% one should be cautious.

No way a fake can play like the real thing, not even close. Comparable to cheapest 729 at best I would say.

reppina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reppina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2015 at 10:43am
I understand some people are skeptical of buying from eBay because of fakes, etc but keep in mind that you are ALWAYS protected by eBay and PayPal's buyer protection. Therefore if you do get something fake you can always report it to them and get a refund. So, there is no real reason not to check out the stuff on eBay and buy them (other than the fact that it may be a bit inconvenient) because who knows you may happen to get a massive bargain on otherwise expensive equipment!
Xiom Diva
FH: Adidas P7
BH: Tibhar Genius Sound
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2015 at 11:20am
Originally posted by reppina reppina wrote:

I understand some people are skeptical of buying from eBay because of fakes, etc but keep in mind that you are ALWAYS protected by eBay and PayPal's buyer protection. Therefore if you do get something fake you can always report it to them and get a refund. So, there is no real reason not to check out the stuff on eBay and buy them (other than the fact that it may be a bit inconvenient) because who knows you may happen to get a massive bargain on otherwise expensive equipment!

You have to be able to prove that it's fake so unless one knows how to distinguish a fake, it's best to stick with reputable vendors.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2015 at 11:38am
Originally posted by reppina reppina wrote:

I don't understand any way for a seller to offer a "massive bargain" without selling fakes.  If too good to be true, it is.
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2015 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I don't understand any way for a seller to offer a "massive bargain" without selling fakes.  If too good to be true, it is.

What's scary is that some of the vendors have started selling fakes for a small discount, ~$10-$12 less than the real ones.  And people are buying!  Those are the folks expecting the genuine product.  At least with the massive discount, you pretty much expect a fake.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
reppina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reppina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 7:50am
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

You have to be able to prove that it's fake so unless one knows how to distinguish a fake, it's best to stick with reputable vendors.
This pretty much covers it!

Edited by reppina - 05/31/2015 at 7:54am
Xiom Diva
reppina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reppina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I completely agree with you but I have bought legitimate Tenergy for 20% less than retail price on eBay so sometimes you can pick up good deals. All I am saying is that there is no reason not to try it out as you are protected.
Xiom Diva
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 1:46pm
"All I am saying is that there is no reason not to try it out as you are protected."

Plenty of reason not to buy on ebay. It's not worth my time and effort to have to check the rubber on arrival and dispute the sale with a seller in China for the chance at saving $13.

I plan to buy a sheet of Tenergy soon and I will pay $68 from paddle palace to get it from a reputable dealer with great service.

I took a look at ebay, the first 3 listings all are fake according to Butterfly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Butterfly-Table-Tennis-Ping-Pong-Rubber-Tenergy-05-FX-Red-2-1mm-Free-Shipping-/261859518030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf80b264e

Look at the pictures, according to Butterfly, if the rubber has a protective sheet, it is fake ($52.99)

Same for this one at $54.99, protective sheet = fake

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Butterfly-Table-Tennis-Ping-Pong-Rubber-Tenergy-05-FX-Red-2-1mm-Free-Shipping-/261859518030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf80b264e

The third listing has a protective sheet and no seam on the packaging = 2 fake giveaways

It's not worth my time to even search for product on ebay with legit pictures because the seller could also take pictures of real Tenergy and send you a fake.
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 2:10pm
Is there fake Tenegys out there that almost looks exactly the same as real ones? I mean can an expert always tell if it's the real deal? 
reppina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reppina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

"All I am saying is that there is no reason not to try it out as you are protected."

Plenty of reason not to buy on ebay. It's not worth my time and effort to have to check the rubber on arrival and dispute the sale with a seller in China for the chance at saving $13.

I plan to buy a sheet of Tenergy soon and I will pay $68 from paddle palace to get it from a reputable dealer with great service.

I took a look at ebay, the first 3 listings all are fake according to Butterfly:

Look at the pictures, according to Butterfly, if the rubber has a protective sheet, it is fake ($52.99)

Same for this one at $54.99, protective sheet = fake

The third listing has a protective sheet and no seam on the packaging = 2 fake giveaways

It's not worth my time to even search for product on ebay with legit pictures because the seller could also take pictures of real Tenergy and send you a fake.

Hmm.. well I have just searched eBay now and the first three results are all genuine Tenergy and cheaper than the retail price here (probably because I live in the UK). Regardless, you can normally also tell by the feedback of the seller - if it is 99.5-100% positive, you can expect to be buying genuine Tenergy.

Edited by reppina - 05/31/2015 at 2:43pm
Xiom Diva
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 3:46pm

Fake, seller has 99.1% positive feedback. High positive ratings can be deceiving.

Seller has 200+ items for sale, almost all is non TT related and under $10. A handful of Tenergy is all the TT stuff for sale.

This is typical, sell lots of cheap stuff to get a good rating, then stick it to customers on the expensive products. Lots of happy customers who bought $2 stickers.

Buyer feedback on the seller:
"BUYER BEWARE! All of the table tennis rubbers this seller sells are counterfeit!"
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 11:10pm
I suspect many of the sellers don't even know they're selling fakes. A lot of them would not know the first thing about equipment... they just buy & sell whatever is profitable.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2015 at 3:32pm
The fake Tenergy that I saw last week was really really crappy. I'm not talking about a clone that you can barely tell the difference and plays similar... The red top sheet was very translucent like Jello, and you could easily see the pips. I know for a fact that real Tenergy is spinny even on crappy blades, and this rubber was dead feeling, with hardly any spin. It felt worse than a $15 premade.

I have a feeling that when someone bought these rubbers to sell on ebay they know they are counterfeits. Either they bought them from a shady source in China, in which case they have to know they are fake, or they bought them unknowingly from another person who bought them from a shady source, in which case they have to know they are probably fake, especially since they don't resell them for the same "low price".

ebay is not a place to buy table tennis equipment. Especially if you are trying to save a buck. Be warned.

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2015 at 3:37pm
I've contacted ebay numerous times when i spot sellers selling fake Butterfly blades, but it seems that ebay rarely takes any action against them.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2015 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

ebay is not a place to buy table tennis equipment. Especially if you are trying to save a buck. Be warned.

Depends on what you buy and from whom... The cheap Chinese stuff are mostly genuine.
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2015 at 12:30pm
i BOUGHT A fake premade paddle DHS on ebay before. Its bad.
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2015 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

I've contacted ebay numerous times when i spot sellers selling fake Butterfly blades, but it seems that ebay rarely takes any action against them.

1. Ebay takes action if Butterfly pursues legal measures with Ebay and the seller. Example: Butterfly sends a trademark or copyright infringement letter to Ebay. Then Ebay will take off the listing. Then the seller must prove he is selling a genuine original product by sending proof of purchases and other evidence. I suspect Most counterfeiter & non authorized sellers cannot prove there case. I suspect Butterfly does not have a army of lawyers trolling ebay.

2. Ebay does takes action if a customer has purchased the fake item and makes a resolution claim(within 30 days of purchase) with Ebay. Ebay wont take off a listing but will advise the buyer and seller to come to a agreement.

Ebay does not take action unless necessary. Ebay makes 10% off every purchase whether its fake or not. Paypal make another 2 to 3%(Ebay owns paypal)...

So buyers beware and make careful buying decisions. 

I sell on Ebay too, so i hate all the counterfeiters. Censored

Edited by 42andbackpains - 06/02/2015 at 5:13pm
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic