Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do the Chinese top players use H3???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

[QUOTE=unstopabl3
This coming from someone who wants us to believe that the Pros don't have access to better equipment and that they don't boost to get an edge over others???
don't make stuff up, I just said you solved it, you are just saying what is happening, and what has been happening for decades, nothing new here

Wa.  Say it isn't so.  Not only have the pros used better equipment than the rest of us, they've speed glued, boosted, tuned, and otherwise souped up already ridiculously souped up rubbers for decades?  I can't believe that.  I don't want to believe that.  

And this is nothing new?

You wonder:  how could the pros have possibly played this decades long souped up, turbocharged, formula one speedster of a sport with equipment inaccessible to mere mortals without some whistleblower reporting this sort of thing to the ITTF? 

Something ought to be done.  Before it's too late.  Hmm.  Maybe it is already too late, and it has probably been too late for decades.

Edited by berndt_mann - 06/29/2015 at 5:53pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Sponsored Links

unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I just like to see the real quotes and not guesses, but you go ahead and boost your blue sponge something and buy your made to order viscaria and you pick the heavy tenergy that allows you to spin better, you use the same chair that they use, you get Mikes Nikes and jump a metre high
and in two years you will telling others to just practice

My job is TT, I have a shop, Im a ITTF coach, National selector, I see and talk about these things on a daily basis, I like to know what pro's do, I have customers buying the black sheet out of the cheap 729 twinpack because it has a blue sponge, we all want to play better, 

but at the end of the day having the same gear is 1 thing, then who knows and knowing what they use ,what sponge, what thickness, when they use it , how often, how many coats, how many days do they leave before using, do they have more than 1 blade, when do they discard rubber, who does it for them, how do players not get caught, those are the questions someone should ask a pro?

Maybe you should tell us all these things then to end the mystery :P
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2015 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

It makes you wonder, is the national/provincial hurricane that much better than commercial?

...Which leads to a whole new set of questions, such as why certain players are allowed to have access to special equipment that no one else can use. Surely this defeats the fairness of table tennis.

The H3 Provincial and National ARE a lot better... and we ALL have access to the better version through Nittaku H3 Pro.... but people seem to want better at the price of H3 commercial... 

Nittaku select the highest quality, most dynamic sheets orange sponge has to offer...boosted properly with 2 layers of Falco Long - it's a medium soft (YES medium soft as Adidas P7) sheet of dynamic rubber that keeps giving the harder you hit without loss of control.....

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 4:39am
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

As the title asks, why do they still use the H3 on their FH even though there are rubbers like Tenergy out there?

Is it because nothing beats H3 for a FH rubber, or is it because they are so accustomed to using the H3 since an early age that they don't want to switch, or is it because they must use a DHS rubber as it being their sponsor???

Thanks in advance!

Having tried a boosted national h3 blue sponge, I believe the correct answer is: nothing beats that rubber for fh.  But do not make the mistake to think it is something similar to H3 neo commercial. It is much softer, and more reactive with more catapult.  It is much more similar to m1 turbo than to h3 neo commercial. even speed-glued h3 commercial is much harder and slower.

And yes, the Chinese boost to the extreme. Of course they do. Just look at their topsheets. Their rubbers are unusable otherwise. (and even so, they never become faster than t05 anyway).

Edited by seguso - 06/30/2015 at 4:48am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 8:51am
Hello Guys, 
I have played with Tenergy, ESN rubberrs, then with chinese rubbers, Hurricane 3, Jappanes rubber from Tibhar (Nianmor), YinHe rubbers, lately with Evolution MX-P, so I thing You  are mistaken with "fast" and "Jumpy (springy)" rubber. Hurricane 3, even Neo version is not slow rubber. If you moove like hell (like chinese do) you will find ESN and Tenergy rubbers slower. They are faster only when you hit the ball without spin, becouse of the tack.

Edited by BaiMile - 06/30/2015 at 8:52am
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 10:28am
Contrary to popular belief, you cannot boost a chinese rubber "to the extreme." Doing that will actually make the topsheet lose its tackiness, and the rubber becomes unstable. You can boost it for sure, but overboosting is definitely possible. CNT members usually play with 40 degree hardness (because only they can handle that hardness), and top-tier players like Ma Long and Zhang Jike use 41 degrees. I'll repeat what I said: chinese players insist on using hurricane because the arc produced is harder to return when compared to arcs produced by euro/jap tensor rubbers. More spin can also be generated from hurricane. 
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 3:34pm
Caz the H3 they use is the fricking Nat version. That piece of sheet of rubber costs $120+. 

Tell them to use the $15 commercial H3, they will tell you to **** off.
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

Caz the H3 they use is the fricking Nat version. That piece of sheet of rubber costs $120+. 

The fricking Nat version costs $120+ per sheet?  Holy Zhuang Ze Dong.  I sure hope the members of the Chinese National Team don't have to pay for their rubbers themselves. Ermm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

The fricking Nat version costs $120+ per sheet?  Holy Zhuang Ze Dong.  I sure hope the members of the Chinese National Team don't have to pay for their rubbers themselves. Ermm

they are given a set amount of rubbers per quarter by da governor err government. lol some CNT members sell brand new and/or old ones. Im not saying who.
FS:

tack_and_grip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tack_and_grip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

I'll repeat what I said: chinese players insist on using hurricane because the arc produced is harder to return when compared to arcs produced by euro/jap tensor rubbers. More spin can also be generated from hurricane. 

+1

Tacky rubber can produce higher spin/speed ratio given proper technique

Edited by tack_and_grip - 07/01/2015 at 12:49am
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2015 at 9:47pm
the CNT members are all given a certain number of rubbers each month. If you're a main player, eg. Fan Zhendong, you get 40 national hurricanes a month to choose from. Yes, they can tell the difference of quality among NATIONAL hurricanes. 
ahsq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 3:54pm

the CNT members are all given a certain number of rubbers each month. If you're a main player, eg. Fan Zhendong, you get 40 national hurricanes a month to choose from. Yes, they can tell the difference of quality among NATIONAL hurricanes. 

Cry envy.
FS:

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 4:12pm
The corollary to this question does ANY european/japanese or korean (who did not begin training in China/Taiwan or Hong Kong) use H3 national at the highest level? If not (and I doubt it) then one can be pretty sure that:
1. H3 national is not as great as some of you believe
2. It has to do with how one begins their career not the rubber

I do not believe for a second that european players could not get the best H3 available if it helped their game. 
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 11:09pm
Vanjr, the europeans ARE UNABLE to get the best H3 available. People like Feng Tianwei can only get provincial hurricane...you need to understand how the system works lol. The tenergy that we can buy, is also not the ones that the japanese team/chinese team use. The japanese team gets the best tenergies, and the Chinese team gets the second-best tenergies. The public then gets the rest. 

most pros do not switch to hurricane if they started out using euro/jap rubbers because the technique change is too drastic. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 11:41pm
I love all these stories. They make it sound like having the best Hurricane makes you a better player.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 2:04am

the CNT members are all given a certain number of rubbers each month. If you're a main player, eg. Fan Zhendong, you get 40 national hurricanes a month to choose from. Yes, they can tell the difference of quality among NATIONAL hurricanes. <mytubeelement id="myTubeRelayElementToTab" ="relayPrefs" =""loadBundle":true"></mytubeelement>

You touch the sponge of a natversion and the texture is diferent
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 11:08am

Vanjr, the europeans ARE UNABLE to get the best H3 available. People like Feng Tianwei can only get provincial hurricane...you need to understand how the system works lol. The tenergy that we can buy, is also not the ones that the japanese team/chinese team use. The japanese team gets the best tenergies, and the Chinese team gets the second-best tenergies. The public then gets the rest. 

most pros do not switch to hurricane if they started out using euro/jap rubbers because the technique change is too drastic. 

I cannot believe that DHS would not sell top grade H3 to any top players or clubs so that they could increase their market share. Think how much more crappy commercial H3 they could sell if all the top players used H3? I am sure they could amp up production. 

I would agree with you that I may not get the top stuff. But DHS is as capitalist as any other big corporation out there. They are there to make money (just want it in RMB I guess:) 
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 11:18am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I love all these stories. They make it sound like having the best Hurricane makes you a better player.

Many people equate "best" with "most expensive". That's basically it.
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 11:34am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I cannot believe that DHS would not sell top grade H3 to any top players or clubs so that they could increase their market share. Think how much more crappy commercial H3 they could sell if all the top players used H3? I am sure they could amp up production. 

I would agree with you that I may not get the top stuff. But DHS is as capitalist as any other big corporation out there. They are there to make money (just want it in RMB I guess:) 

you don't understand china lol. anything involving govt control will have an inordinate amount of regulation for IP and domestic trade secrets, incl. national h3. i didn't know until recently speaking to native chinese that though it's much more lax now, they're restricted from moving their primary residence without a permit change LOL. i wonder what they did for jobs if they couldn't find one local. it seems ridiculous to us, but that's an example of controls and authority chn govt has.

in any case, you can wait for CNT to change to another rubber set. then they'll start selling what they're using now. 
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 11:57am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

The corollary to this question does ANY european/japanese or korean (who did not begin training in China/Taiwan or Hong Kong) use H3 national at the highest level? If not (and I doubt it) then one can be pretty sure that:

2. It has to do with how one begins their career not the rubber

I am sure these things are true.  I am basing my opinion on the level that I have seen some people play -- such as former province team members who are still pretty good but not necessarily real serious anymore.  These are people who certainly would not have access to the "best top secret" H3 people here talk about (which I assume people here are correct when they say it is a real thing).  This is because they were never good enough in China to get the good stuff (although they are really good by US standards) and because of course they now live in the US.  Most people trained and accustomed to Japanese and European rubbers would find the Hurricane can get here pretty unplayable (I know I do but I am not alone) and yet some of these very well trained Chinese guys (one person I have specifically in mind) with absolutely perfect modern Chinese technique love the stuff.  This guy (former Fujian province junior team, now a student at the university where I teach, still around 2400 although he rarely plays) also absolutely hated Tenergy when I gave him  a sheet.  It was almost impossible for him to keep his ridiculously powerful forehand on the table.  For awhile we were playing quite a bit.  His opinion was that it was what you get used to when you start.

My opinion is also based on what happened when a top player here in the US on the advice of a Chinese coach briefly attempted to switch to Hurricane.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Yeah.  Some people do equate it with what the CNT do/use.  Just because the World Champ is using it, it has to be the best.
Cybershape Carbon
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 12:26pm
When i first went to China in my late teens and through my early twenties. Which is about 20 plus years ago, native chinese needed special passes to move from province to province. Many of times the passes were attained through bribes and who you know. While us tourist could get through as long as we have our approved travel visas. China was very restrictive to there residents, but today most of the time people can move freely. Like any country, they have there issues with corruption and bribery.
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 1:01pm

Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Yeah.  Some people do equate it with what the CNT do/use.  Just because the World Champ is using it, it has to be the best.

The inference is that the world champion would himself try to find the best equipment, and being a professional player, would have every incentive to get the biggest advantage he could on his competitors. Thus, whatever is used by the best players, is likely the best (for them). However, the important thing to remember is that they play a certain way to maximize their effectiveness according to their equipment. The extent that you play like a pro player is the extent that their equipment is appropriate for you.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 3:40pm
Thanks, Argothman. I get the logic. Unfortunately, being a CNT wannabe doesn't make you play like a CNT player. But I guess there are worse things on which to waste your time and money.

Moreover, there is a conservatism built into professional sports equipment at the highest level in all sports. Innovations that help play tend to comefrom the lower ranks more often than not and take years to get to the higher levels. Of course, figuring out which innovation will get there is next to impossible. But that also applies to the player who made it there. Copying him is risky if you don't ha r his ability. I love this sport because playing at a fairly high level doesn't require you to play exactly like a top player.
Cybershape Carbon
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 5:28pm
I agree. While away from the table I enjoy obsessing over professional players' equipment and technique, but when I actually play and train I don't copy them, I play my own style and I practice in a normal way. I think being able to separate your TT obsession from your TT training is important if you want to improve and play well, no amount of copying will make you like the pros.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 5:04am
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Alas, alack, woe is me, well-a-day, oh the humanity and hot mercy Martha Argothman, the fairness of table tennis has taken quite a shellacking over nearly the past six and one half decades.  I believe I know why, but I'm reluctant to say so any more on table tennis forums for fear of the rhetorical pastings I know I'm gonna take from Tenergy terrorists, Hurricane heroes, and Big Dipper demons.  Not to mention Tin Arc tuners and Bluefire boosters.

I may, like Sgt. Hulka, just be getting too old for this sort of s**t.
ClapClapClap
The Older I get, The better I was.
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 5:18am

It's not that sponsored players get the best tenergy, they usually get their choice of weight of each rubber.All tenergy is the same (there's no pro version), just the weight is different per sheet just like blades are. Heavier rubbers are a little harder. 

Edited by Tk5 - 07/12/2015 at 5:22am
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 5:53am
there is a pro version of Tenergy. it even has a different laser marking on the sponge.

DHS already has a HUGE market in China. In fact, 95% (i swear to god) of chinese AMATEUR players play Hurricane and 99% of pro players in China play hurricane. 

The "national" versions are the rubbers that are cut closest to the center of the big sheet of rubber made in the factories. But the "national" versions are only what the average players in the CNT use. What people like Ma Long use are custom made hurricanes, which are rubbers made specifically to what the player wants. For eg, Liu Shiwen's hurricane is a little different from Ding Ning's. Liu's hurricane is more elastic, while Ding's is slightly tackier. It's all based on the style (this info I got from an inside source here in China). But yes, the world champ IS using the best quality hurricane. 

DHS won't give other players the top-notch hurricanes because they want chinese players to win lol...shouldn't this be obvious haha
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 6:12am

there is a pro version of Tenergy. it even has a different laser marking on the sponge.

DHS already has a HUGE market in China. In fact, 95% (i swear to god) of chinese AMATEUR players play Hurricane and 99% of pro players in China play hurricane. 

The "national" versions are the rubbers that are cut closest to the center of the big sheet of rubber made in the factories. But the "national" versions are only what the average players in the CNT use. What people like Ma Long use are custom made hurricanes, which are rubbers made specifically to what the player wants. For eg, Liu Shiwen's hurricane is a little different from Ding Ning's. Liu's hurricane is more elastic, while Ding's is slightly tackier. It's all based on the style (this info I got from an inside source here in China). But yes, the world champ IS using the best quality hurricane. 

DHS won't give other players the top-notch hurricanes because they want chinese players to win lol...shouldn't this be obvious haha

Evidence?
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 9:35am
of what?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic