FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Fish scaled Viscaria???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish scaled Viscaria???
    Posted: 07/03/2015 at 4:25pm
Is it really worth paying extra for a fish scale wood design viscaria???

Does it play better than the simple one?

Anybody has experience with the two types and can compare the performance please???

Here is a link:

http://ttnpp.com/store/home/818-butterfly-viscaria--7.html#/weight-91_92g

BTW is viscaria faster than TBS if two blades have same weight?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 9:28am
Any help guys???
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 9:31am
Why dont u buy one to try and you will know? If it doesn't interest you, why bother finding out about its characteristics.
Just buy!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 9:34am
Maybe because I don't have money to buy two just to TEST/Compare them, so better to ask if anybody has already done this.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 9:41am
Quote Wood surface with fish scale pattern are the best in quality. Less than 10% of the blades are having this wood pattern.

Are they serious?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 9:42am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Quote Wood surface with fish scale pattern are the best in quality. Less than 10% of the blades are having this wood pattern.

Are they serious?

That was also my question/concern lol
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 10:09am
Okay okay...... let me break it down for you.....
Scaly koto differs from average koto in terms of feel. Just like how light colored limba feels different from dark and dense one. The grain determines the feeling most of the time.

Scaly kotos are generally harder than the non-scaly ones. In my opinion too stiff and hard to give me the dwell i require in blades. Some players like it,some players dont. Collectors love it.
Why is it more expensive is probably becos its not something u see everyday...

I have specially bought scaly koto viscaria or tb series blades just to collect. Gameplay wise i myself prefer non scaly.
Some people may doubt my theory abt scaly koto. But well, not everyone here has the same feel.

Edited by proSpin - 07/04/2015 at 10:10am
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 1:07pm
somebody told me once that scales have to do with which part of the tree the wood comes from… suppose to be better but who knows
The chinese people loves the scaled blades…
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by proSpin proSpin wrote:

Okay okay...... let me break it down for you.....
Scaly koto differs from average koto in terms of feel. Just like how light colored limba feels different from dark and dense one. The grain determines the feeling most of the time.

Scaly kotos are generally harder than the non-scaly ones. In my opinion too stiff and hard to give me the dwell i require in blades. Some players like it,some players dont. Collectors love it.
Why is it more expensive is probably becos its not something u see everyday...

I have specially bought scaly koto viscaria or tb series blades just to collect. Gameplay wise i myself prefer non scaly.
Some people may doubt my theory abt scaly koto. But well, not everyone here has the same feel.

Thanks for breaking it down, stiffer means more speed correct?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

somebody told me once that scales have to do with which part of the tree the wood comes from… suppose to be better but who knows
The chinese people loves the scaled blades…

Yeah that's what my perception is as well, but can anyone other than "prospin" confirm how it differs in playing?
OldSchool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OldSchool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

You get fish scale pattern if the wood gets quartersawn, so no it's not a better piece of wood.

This discussion was just up over at, TT Daily http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?10800-Fish-scales-pattern-Viscaria

Edited by OldSchool - 07/04/2015 at 4:57pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 5:01pm
My best one ever has that appearance but my second best one did not.  I have owned a bunch of these.  I don't think it's altogether reliable.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 5:16pm
Wouldn't hurt to get it as it's only $10 more expensive :P
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 7:06pm
Yes, for just 10 bucks more I would personally go for the fish scale.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 7:12pm
One thing I found is that the one that has the fish scale is impossible to get splinter.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 7:21pm
I would not bother... chances are most of us could not feel the difference, and even if we could, how do we know which one we'd like better?
We've had discussions here on other ariations between blades already, and we know that there are many other variables that give the blade different properties apart from appearance differences in the outer ply, so I would not pay extra for something that someone claims is 'better'.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 10:31pm

my stand is fishscale only if u like it.

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 10:37pm
Just get a sanwei king of blue arylate carbon nd call it a day. You will be glad that you bought it.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 11:05pm
lol fish scale is probably better, but I don't think anybody on this forum can feel the difference haha...
I'd still say go for it though, simply because it's only 10 dollars more...
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 11:54pm
Th "fish scale" is the product of Quarter sawn wood.  That means that if you were to look at the end grain, the grain would be perpendicular to the surface.  Quarter sawn wood normally won't warp or cup.

True "quarter sawn" wood would be cut from a tree like spokes from a wheel.  That would waste a amount of wood.  SO the way it is cut in the real world is you cut the tree into 4 quarters (so you have 4 pie shape pieces if you look at the end of the tree.  How one would saw a board off one flat, then turn the log and saw a board off the the other flat..  You keep switching back an forth from one flat then the other.  The first board cut from each "quarter" (flat) is the best and widest boards.  In other other words you get 8 prine quarter sawn boards out of a tree.  These boards will also be a hardest and most dense wood from that log.  In addition, they will normally quarter saw the thickest part of the log, because there is so much "loss" to narrow wood when quarter sawing a long.  The base of a tree is the most dense wood in the tree.  So those quarter sawn boards are the most dense in the whole tree!

You actually don't have to go to the trouble of quarter sawing a log to get quarter sawn wood.  If you are flat sawing wood, when you get close to the center line of the tree you are getting quarter sawn wood (on each side of center)

All that said, I believe the big paddle making companies use quarter sawn wood in their more expensive blades.  Most outer plys are made from quarter sawn wood. 

All that said, remember that fish scale is only the outer ply.  Thats about 1/40 of an inch!  
Ratt "ghost" (OS kiri, balsa, kiri) innova UL/ Tibhar Grass D.tecs
Ratt "mouse" (mahogany, 3- kiri, mahogany) T05/ giant dragon talon
Tibhar Furious/ juic 999/ Tibhar Grass D.Tecs
Ross Leidy custom
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 6:21am

I would not bother... chances are most of us could not feel the difference, and even if we could, how do we know which one we'd like better?
We've had discussions here on other ariations between blades already, and we know that there are many other variables that give the blade different properties apart from appearance differences in the outer ply, so I would not pay extra for something that someone claims is 'better'.

I can definitely feel the difference between my best two Viscarias and the other four that I currently have (and I have owned a lot of others over the years, having played mostly with Viscaria for about ten years now, including two incredible ones that were stolen).  There is a lot that goes into any blade, and the question is how much does the orientation of the grain on the top ply matter to what you get?  Or in other words, is the fish scale top ply the main reason why one blade feels better than another?  I do not think it  it is the only thing that matters (obviously weight matters a lot), but I think it might be part of what makes some blades special.  The problem is that even though I have owned a lot of Viscarias, my own personal sample size is not big enough to say how important the outer ply orientation is.  Maybe Dean would know more, he seems to own 90% of the vintage Viscarias on the planet. LOL

Anyway I would pay 10 bucks extra to get one like that.  I think it might be worth the risk.

By the way, I am glad some of the other posters explained what causes some blades to look like that.

One other thing.  I have never owned a bad Viscaria.  The question I am talking about is how good?  It is like comparing different years of a Gevrey Chambertin (a very famous Burgundy wine).  IMHO, there is never a bad one.  Just great ones and really good ones.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

My best one ever has that appearance but my second best one did not.  I have owned a bunch of these.  I don't think it's altogether reliable.

Baal what are the weights of your best and second best Viscarias??? Are they in flared handle?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 7:27am

I can definitely feel the difference between my best two Viscarias and the other four that I currently have (and I have owned a lot of others over the years, having played mostly with Viscaria for about ten years now, including two incredible ones that were stolen).  There is a lot that goes into any blade, and the question is how much does the orientation of the grain on the top ply matter to what you get?  Or in other words, is the fish scale top ply the main reason why one blade feels better than another?  I do not think it  it is the only thing that matters (obviously weight matters a lot), but I think it might be part of what makes some blades special.  The problem is that even though I have owned a lot of Viscarias, my own personal sample size is not big enough to say how important the outer ply orientation is.  Maybe Dean would know more, he seems to own 90% of the vintage Viscarias on the planet. LOL

Anyway I would pay 10 bucks extra to get one like that.  I think it might be worth the risk.

By the way, I am glad some of the other posters explained what causes some blades to look like that.

One other thing.  I have never owned a bad Viscaria.  The question I am talking about is how good?  It is like comparing different years of a Gevrey Chambertin (a very famous Burgundy wine).  IMHO, there is never a bad one.  Just great ones and really good ones.

Baal thanks for sharing your experiences in detail and it's a shame your stuff keeps getting stolen, any chance someone is keeping an eye out for your goodies Cry

From where do you order your Viscarias and what weights were your best ones???
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 8:00am
If fish scale Viscaria is the best, then ZJK and FZD would have it.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 8:02am
All this dogged questioning over a choice that will do no more than add 25 pts to your game at best.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 8:18am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

All this dogged questioning over a choice that will do no more than add 25 pts to your game at best.

I really need these 25 pts Embarrassed
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 8:19am
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

Baal what are the weights of your best and second best Viscarias??? Are they in flared handle?

Flared, both my current favorites are 91 g. All of the great ones I have owned have been between 88 and 92.  Personally I don't like the new lighter ones as much.  Actually, I only had blades stolen one time (my whole bag disappeared), but it had three absolutely fantastic blades in it.  Traumatic.  I spent a bunch of money trying to find replacements that were as good, finally succeeded.

As to NL's comment, it is true, it is true that this is a really arcane discussion about minutiae and it is doubtful that in time I play any different with any of these particular blades, but people do have a preference.  Musicians do the same thing.

As for the comment that if fish scale blades were so good, then ZJK and others would use it etc. etc., I have never seen a picture of one of their blades without the rubber on it, so for all I know that is that  they use.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 8:23am

Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

Flared, both my current favorites are 91 g. All of the great ones I have owned have been between 88 and 92.  Personally I don't like the new lighter ones as much.  Actually, I only had blades stolen one time (my whole bag disappeared), but it had three absolutely fantastic blades in it.  Traumatic.  I spent a bunch of money trying to find replacements that were as good, finally succeeded.

As to NL's comment, it is true, it is true that this is a really arcane discussion about minutiae and it is doubtful that in time I play any different with any of these particular blades, but people do have a preference.  Musicians do the same thing.

As for the comment that if fish scale blades were so good, then ZJK and others would use it etc. etc., I have never seen a picture of one of their blades without the rubber on it, so for all I know that is that  they use.

Took the words right out of my mouth :)

Where did you purchase your best Viscarias from Baal?

I'm planning to order it from TTNP, are they reliable in terms of quality and delivery times?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 8:26am
Everyone has a preference. Whether it is arrived at by obsessing over things that hardly matter as opposed to falling in love with something for tacit reasons is the issue at hand. In the end, OP will love the blade even though it is clearly not what suits his game. Anyone who spends so much time buying a blade has no time to do the real work of playing good table tennis.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 8:39am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Everyone has a preference. Whether it is arrived at by obsessing over things that hardly matter as opposed to falling in love with something for tacit reasons is the issue at hand. In the end, OP will love the blade even though it is clearly not what suits his game. Anyone who spends so much time buying a blade has no time to do the real work of playing good table tennis.

No disrespect but since you are one of the most active forum members here should I assume the same for you?

And according to you which blade would suit my style NL?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic