FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Critique form - FH loop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Clarence247 Clarence247 wrote:

if you are rotating the whole body equally you are just hopping from one position to another - SPIN and CONTROL suffer as you do not have this elastic kinetic energy

Again, this is your opinion and by no means an established fact.  The science behind rotational power and momentum is very complicated and that's why even the most highly respected golf coaches in the world cannot seem to come to any definite conclusion.  Bubba Watson, who was the longest hitter on the 2014 PGA golf tour at about 320 yards a drive, and he would not subscribe to your theory of restricted hip turn to generate power:

Most of this is all over my head and I don't want to keep debating this with you because I already feel bad about hijacking the guys thread.  This topic pales in comparison to more important things like timing, a relaxed arm, proper arm movement, etc. anyways.

Edited by Ringer84 - 07/05/2015 at 11:03pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
Sponsored Links

TTHamme View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHamme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2015 at 7:00am
Conclusion:
the video posted doesn't really address the problems I feel when spinning with FH.
I will try filiming a practice game against a better player to show what I mean

Things learnt:
-> relax arm more (it's possible I kinda froze because of the camera but certainly not to a large extent)
-> get elbow a bit further away from body
-> stretch arm more prior to hitting the ball
-> don't hop when playing the shot
When I think about it this last thing could be my main problem. Bodyweight goes up (and back) instead of forward. This is why when spinning in combination with "fast" (relative of course) movement my right leg is "burning" while my left isn't.

Anyway: thank you very much for this detailed information! 
It's nice to talk with other people about table tennis in such depth.

@Ringer84: You didn't hijack this thread Smile. All you did was discuss one of the suggestions already stated.

Oh, I just noticed I posted this in the wrong subsection of the forum. Can a mod move the thread please?

Edited by TTHamme - 07/06/2015 at 9:52am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2015 at 9:04am
Don't know the quality of the robot you are using but reducing the spin (and speed, depending on the robot) would have helped as well - it's hard to tell the quality of the spin contact when looping heavy topspin.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2015 at 4:11pm
(Baal)   An offensive oriented player just needs to hit more shots in a row than the next guy.  

So for that matter does a defensively oriented player.  This, for reasons too numerous to mention, is not as attractive an option as it once was.  
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2015 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by TTHamme TTHamme wrote:

Hi,
I play table tennis for about 20 yrs now (29 yrs old).

Seriously? You look younger than 29 Sleepy
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by TTHamme TTHamme wrote:

What I would like to achieve is more spin under pressure.
If someone plays fast I have a lot of difficulties producing a spinny loop. When there is more time to prepare for the shot (e.g. when opp pushes long or serve drifts long) it's easier.

OK, but why do you want that?  Spin is a means to an end, but speed kills.  Also, if the ball if coming at you with pace, it will spend less time on your blade and you will usually impart less spin. An offensive oriented player just needs to hit more shots in a row than the next guy. 

The other thing of course is from as close to the table as you are playing in that video, except for a third ball when you may be attacking underspin,  you are just not going to be achieving or needing that much spin -- ever.  That shouldn't even be the goal if you are looping from that close in.  From there especially, speed kills.  It would be more helpful if you showed some video of when you  are looping off topspin from farther back, a circumstance when spin matters more.

Are you defining what it means to win a point? Or do you really think that is what table tennis is, who can hit the most shots in a row? Maybe true at the OPs level but at the higher levels if that is your mindset you won't be hitting more shots in a row than too many players. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 3:16pm
For Christ's sake, why focus on a sentence apart from the whole post?
Cybershape Carbon
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I think your fh is very similar to Primorac's; it is technically sound and from there you can vary as much as you want. 

I see the forearm snap so the comment about the 90 degrees angle toward the whole stroke do not apply imo; or at least it should be taken as a compliment toward a very lean and consistent technique.

Your fh is a great foundation if not the greatest and from it you really can evolve lethal shots.

I recommend you do not try to change anything from that fh; instead keep it as your home fh to which you always come back and from which you can slowly evolve the following: sometimes send the elbow a bit away from the body for a kill, focusing on the shoulder throw and the forearm snap; do it sometimes only and come back to your natural fh; gradually you will control that new fh with the elbow further away and it will be your new home fh.

Your goal is to get your elbow a 1/2 foot further, have a straighter arm in the back swing, use more shoulder throw - thanks to your great upper body rotation already in place - while being still able to snap the forearm before contact; that last piece is important so you do not get too far away from your actual home fh --> you do not want to break anything!!!

One last thing: if I had to criticize your actual home fh the only thing I would immediately recommend: RELAX AND LET IT GO. The idea behind that recommendation is that you could achieve more spin and speed with the same energy input by relaxing and being smoother along the stroke. I see a bit of stiffness in your technique and it can exponentially eat up energy; that means a bit of relaxation can have tremendous immediate results so it is worth thinking about it. 

Thank you for sharing and keep up with the good work. 

And that is how you stay at 1800 forever or whatever the OPs level is. That fh is 1850 tops. I sense the OP wants to improve and become as good as he can get. If you think he can reach his maximum potential with that fh you are surely mistaken. 

You need to always be looking to make adjustments, always tinkering with your shots to make them better. I don't care if you are number one in the world. I guarantee Ma Long isn't going to training everyday thinking "hmm my fh is good enough, I'll just keep it the same and not make any changes".  

I don't mean to be bashing other peoples advice. I think a lot of good thoughts have out on this thread and many people have given the OP solid advice for improving his fh. However, I don't want bad advice to outweigh the good. The quote highlighted in this post and my last post goes against everything I have learned as a player.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 3:22pm
Again, criticizing someone without reading the whole post. In fact, fatt was trying to be a good kind coach, something all of us could learn from, including the person who didn't read fatt's full post carefully and see that he made changes!
Cybershape Carbon
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Tk5 Tk5 wrote:

You need to always be looking to make adjustments, always tinkering with your shots to make them better. I don't care if you are number one in the world. I guarantee Ma Long isn't going to training everyday thinking "hmm my fh is good enough, I'll just keep it the same and not make any changes".  

Are you the same guy who told Bruce Lee to shorten his punch to half inch Smile.

Edited by mhnh007 - 07/07/2015 at 3:33pm
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Again, criticizing someone without reading the whole post. In fact, fatt was trying to be a good kind coach, something all of us could learn from, including the person who didn't read fatt's full post carefully and see that he made changes!

No I read it. He suggested him adding other shots to his game and keeping that shot in the video the same just with different variations. I'm not criticizing anyone. Am I not allowed to point out things I disagree with?

Edited by Tk5 - 07/07/2015 at 3:36pm
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 3:35pm

Umm why not. It stuck out to me and I wanted the poster to elaborate on what he meant by it.
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 3:45pm

No I read it. He suggested him adding other shots to his game and keeping that shot in the video the same just with different variations. I'm not criticizing anyone. Am I not allowed to point out things I disagree with?
brutal changes are too frustrating; I like evolution through small changes; small steps; what I really meant is after what you quoted from me:

do it sometimes only and come back to your natural fh; gradually you will control that new fh with the elbow further away and it will be your new home fh.

Relying on an existing solid forehand while exploring new solutions is the way to go; revolutions are sometimes necessary but they hurt too bad; in the op's case, there is already some solid orthodox technique in place and from there small changes are preferable.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree improvements should be a step by step process. It is definitely something to build off of as a foundation.
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 3:54pm

And Nextlevel I like what you said about being a "good kind coach", it certainly opens up future discussion. Maybe that is not my style. In my experience the good coaches that actually care about you just focus on what you do poorly. They are not patting you on the back or complimenting you. Of course when you are able to make the adjustments they are suggesting, they say good to let you know that you have done so successfully. The other day a German coach at the academy I train at told me my reverse serve and my fast serve down the line are ok. I took that as a huge compliment. Of course I am sure even for these coaches it depends on the player. If you are the type that needs gratification to keep you going maybe they do so.

Edited by Tk5 - 07/07/2015 at 4:02pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 3:59pm

Umm why not. It stuck out to me and I wanted the poster to elaborate on what he meant by it.

Sure but there is plenty of elaboration in the rest of his post.  His view is that speed is more important than spin and that if you can hit a shot that your opponent cannot return, that is more important than hitting a spinny consistent shot given the distance from which the shot is being taken and the nature of the incoming ball.  Therefore, he is not saying "rally to keep the ball on the table" - he is saying "hit a good shot so that it is unlikely to be returned".  He also said that if the OP is playing further off the table, then he would like to see more spin.

Cybershape Carbon
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 4:13pm

Sure but there is plenty of elaboration in the rest of his post.  His view is that speed is more important than spin and that if you can hit a shot that your opponent cannot return, that is more important than hitting a spinny consistent shot given the distance from which the shot is being taken and the nature of the incoming ball.  Therefore, he is not saying "rally to keep the ball on the table" - he is saying "hit a good shot so that it is unlikely to be returned".  He also said that if the OP is playing further off the table, then he would like to see more spin.

Well that wasn't made clear to me by his post. But speed is not more important than spin. Spin, placement, and variation all outweigh speed. There are so many 2300-2550 players that can rip that crap out of the ball. That doesn't make them elite or even competitive at the world level.

Edited by Tk5 - 07/07/2015 at 4:14pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 4:15pm

And Nextlevel I like what you said about being a "good kind coach", it certainly opens up future discussion. Maybe that is not my style. In my experience the good coaches that actually care about you just focus on what you do poorly. They are not patting you on the back or complimenting you. Of course when you are able to make the adjustments they are suggesting, they say good to let you know that you have done so successfully. The other day a German coach at the academy I train at told me my reverse serve and my fast serve down the line are ok. I took that as a huge compliment. Of course I am sure even for these coaches it depends on the player. If you are the type that needs gratification to keep you going maybe they do so.

My biggest problem with many of these threads is how people post without showing their own technique. Maybe if you posted your own technique, then we could understand why you are being harsh. I really believe from personal experience that those who put themselves out to be criticized are brave. I also in the case of fatt, Baal, APW46 and a few others know the level of the critic so I can read their statement in that context.

Sometimes, when we are too aggressive in engaging people who we have not gotten familiar with, we can drive away some of the good critics and players who want to contribute more. Or you may not encourage players to post their own video. So please be kind in general. If you want us to take your harsh comments, post yourself and welcome harsh comments so we can see that your rule is truly golden.
Cybershape Carbon
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 4:26pm

My biggest problem with many of these threads is how people post without showing their own technique. Maybe if you posted your own technique, then we could understand why you are being harsh. I really believe from personal experience that those who put themselves out to be criticized are brave. I also in the case of fatt, Baal, APW46 and a few others know the level of the critic so I can read their statement in that context.

Sometimes, when we are too aggressive in engaging people who we have not gotten familiar with, we can drive away some of the good critics and players who want to contribute more. Or you may not encourage players to post their own video. So please be kind in general. If you want us to take your harsh comments, post yourself and welcome harsh comments so we can see that your rule is truly golden.

I don't agree with that. I am a private person. I have no interests in putting videos out on the web. I don't think I was not being kind. I was hoping to help the individual and add to the forum. However, if you or anyone else really wants to see a video of my technique, you can send me a PM and I will gladly send you back an unlisted youtube video of myself training (given that you will keep the video and information private). I'm a decent player in the US my rating is just over 2300 and my highest rating is right under 2350, although I feel I am playing at a higher level now after my training. My goal is to be a top player in the US so I have a long ways to go in terms of improvement. 

I don't think you should have to post your name or video for you to be taken seriously. You should be evaluated by the content of your posts. Given we know who you are do you think you are in a position to be acting the way you do? A serious question because from my limited time on this forum it does seem like you think you are the resident expert. And btw the aggressive manner in which you have acted towards me makes me not want to contribute to this forum. 

Edited by Tk5 - 07/07/2015 at 4:40pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 5:21pm

I don't agree with that. I am a private person. I have no interests in putting videos out on the web. I don't think I was not being kind. I was hoping to help the individual and add to the forum. However, if you or anyone else really wants to see a video of my technique, you can send me a PM and I will gladly send you back an unlisted youtube video of myself training (given that you will keep the video and information private). I'm a decent player in the US my rating is just over 2300 and my highest rating is right under 2350, although I feel I am playing at a higher level now after my training. My goal is to be a top player in the US so I have a long ways to go in terms of improvement. 

I don't think you should have to post your name or video for you to be taken seriously. You should be evaluated by the content of your posts. Given we know who you are do you think you are in a position to be acting the way you do? A serious question because from my limited time on this forum it does seem like you think you are the resident expert. And btw the aggressive manner in which you have acted towards me makes me not want to contribute to this forum. 

I post a lot and play a lot in North America, and yes, the fact that people know who I am places checks and constraints on what I do - they know my level so they can ignore me when I am saying nonsense.

At the very least, thanks for sharing your level so that people can evaluate your comments in that context because it helps.  If you know the level and background of the poster, it helps you put comments in the right context.  There is nothing wrong with being private other than that it places a bigger burden on you to treat other posters carefully since no one can call your bluff on anything you write and your criticism cannot be placed in proper context unless you provide accurate information about yourself otherwise.

The main reason I post is that many of the people who post here tend to be people who picked up the game as adults and never had formal training as children.  So many of them want to understand how they can improve their games despite not having had formal training, or despite having damaged knees etc.  That's where I contribute my experiences having worked at this game as an adult and not having played any serious table tennis as a child.  It's very different coming into this game as an adult vs. having had lots of training as a child.  Very often, unless a high-level player has trained a competent adult, he tends to minimize the challenges that adults face in getting better.

I personally do not find my aggression level any different from yours and if you want to criticize people who are making comments, go ahead.  It just helps to have an idea of where you are coming from.  My apologies for any discomfort caused.  BTW, some people here would love to have an 1850 forehand.  Just saying.
Cybershape Carbon
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 5:46pm

I post a lot and play a lot in North America, and yes, the fact that people know who I am places checks and constraints on what I do - they know my level so they can ignore me when I am saying nonsense.

At the very least, thanks for sharing your level so that people can evaluate your comments in that context because it helps.  If you know the level and background of the poster, it helps you put comments in the right context.  There is nothing wrong with being private other than that it places a bigger burden on you to treat other posters carefully since no one can call your bluff on anything you write and your criticism cannot be placed in proper context unless you provide accurate information about yourself otherwise.

The main reason I post is that many of the people who post here tend to be people who picked up the game as adults and never had formal training as children.  So many of them want to understand how they can improve their games despite not having had formal training, or despite having damaged knees etc.  That's where I contribute my experiences having worked at this game as an adult and not having played any serious table tennis as a child.  It's very different coming into this game as an adult vs. having had lots of training as a child.  Very often, unless a high-level player has trained a competent adult, he tends to minimize the challenges that adults face in getting better.

I personally do not find my aggression level any different from yours and if you want to criticize people who are making comments, go ahead.  It just helps to have an idea of where you are coming from.  My apologies for any discomfort caused.  BTW, some people here would love to have an 1850 forehand.  Just saying.

Who do you think I criticized? I disagreed with a section of advice that two people gave and then explained why. Do you see that as criticism? People can have their own opinion. The point of these forums is to encourage debate and discussion in a respectful manner. I  may have been opinionated but I don't think I have been disrespectful to anyone. And when I said he had an 1850 fh tops, it wasn't meant as criticism, or as a compliment. I said that because that's what I think.

Edited by Tk5 - 07/07/2015 at 6:33pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 11:14pm
In both cases, both people had extended posts that detailed their fuller thinking which placed those points in context.  It seemed a bit weird to ignore that fuller thinking and to interpret specific points by taking them as standalone phrases, which is what it seemed you were doing.  When one says a forehand is 1850 at best, it helps to know what level their forehand is or what level the forehands they have coached are (I am barely 2000, btw) .  In clubs I play at, the people who make such statements range from perceptive state champs or successful coaches to 1600 players who have never successfully taught someone to loop before.

I think if you have dealt with 1300-level engineers who like to pretend that their supposed understanding of physics qualifies them to speak intelligently about TT technique they do not possess, you will understand where I am coming from.  You are not one of them but it helps to be sure.  But I am done playing Voltron.  Baal will respond if he so chooses.  Cheers.
Cybershape Carbon
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2015 at 3:02am
The first post that line stuck out to me so I commented on it. I didn't really know what he was trying to say so I asked for clarification too. After re-reading it and you paraphrasing it I totally disagree with what he is saying and I offered an explanation above. 

The second post I didn't take out of context either. He told the OP to not change anything with his fh and keep it as his "home base" and to instead and different variations which is something I completely disagree with. The OP should change a lot of things with his fh. He then posted again and said that he meant to say that the OP should make improvements step by step. That makes sense to me.
TTHamme View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHamme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 3:54am
Last Wednesday I had a really good training.
Played for 30 mins with a sparring partner practicing my loop from wide FH and middle table. Special attention was paid to more stretch of the elbow before contact.

Now my shoulder and triceps are pretty sore.
I guess I never really used them before in table tennis.

One step at a time... First tournament in 2 weeks.

Edited by TTHamme - 07/10/2015 at 3:54am
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2015 at 5:03pm

I don't think you should have to post your name or video for you to be taken seriously. You should be evaluated by the content of your posts.

Indeed ! the charlatans are quickly spotted that way.
The Older I get, The better I was.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 2:14am
Oh, by the way, medical advice should be evaluated not by demonstrating it has worked on one's health or the health of those someone has treated. It should be evaluated based on what has been written.

Sorry, but that is patently ridiculous. People who feel strongly about dispensing advice should at least give evidence of their rating or success - maybe videotape goes too far but it is better than anything else. Someone asking for advice is putting themselves in the position of a patient and they should at least Know the doctor's qualification. It doesn't guarantee accurate diagnosis or treatment but it is far better than the alternatives, which include having players who have never taught others or themselves how to loop giving to all kinds of intelligent sounding advice that never gets to the heart of the matter.
Cybershape Carbon
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 4:56am

Oh, by the way, medical advice should be evaluated not by demonstrating it has worked on one's health or the health of those someone has treated. It should be evaluated based on what has been written.

Sorry, but that is patently ridiculous. People who feel strongly about dispensing advice should at least give evidence of their rating or success - maybe videotape goes too far but it is better than anything else. Someone asking for advice is putting themselves in the position of a patient and they should at least Know the doctor's qualification. It doesn't guarantee accurate diagnosis or treatment but it is far better than the alternatives, which include having players who have never taught others or themselves how to loop giving to all kinds of intelligent sounding advice that never gets to the heart of the matter.

Your analogy of giving medical advice to posting on a critique thread of an online table tennis forum is "patently ridiculous". Sorry, I didn't know you have to post your table tennis rating before being allowed to state your opinion on this thread. Clap But now I have, so hopefully all is forgiven.

Edited by Tk5 - 07/12/2015 at 5:01am
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 6:34am
I thought it looked pretty good! It's the classic European FH with the locked forearm. You probably trained quite well with it. You have pretty good weight transfer and hip rotation and pretty good footwork which leads to good movement and consistency. Now for more power, there are a few things you can add to your loop to spice it up. 

Timing: Try to contact the ball a bit earlier and more in front of your body, especially against topspin. You can think of your racket being angled forward when you hit the ball (although it doesn't actually happen!). 

Wrist: You need to drop your wrist further in order to relax it more. This will allow you to generate more spin. Also, less slap hitting and a lot more brushing would also do wonders for your power. Loops loaded with spin are extremely difficult to deal with. 

Elbow snap: Basically relax and let your elbow straighten, then snap forward when you hit the ball. This will make your stroke more fluid and powerful. 

Use of your shoulder: This is a huge source of power, but albeit may lead to shoulder injuries without strength training. I learnt it from Zhang Jike who really abuses this source of power to the max (which is probably why he has this shoulder cuff injury now!). Basically during your backswing, you move your shoulder blade backwards (your elbow will be tucked near your right middle back, kinda like doing dumbbell rows) and let it explode forward during your swing. With this you can generate huge amounts of additional power without affecting your recovery time much. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 8:02am

Your analogy of giving medical advice to posting on a critique thread of an online table tennis forum is "patently ridiculous". Sorry, I didn't know you have to post your table tennis rating before being allowed to state your opinion on this thread. Clap But now I have, so hopefully all is forgiven.

Fine, I give up. I will just let you police the ridiculous posts. You break seamless balls so that's a high level right there ;).
Cybershape Carbon
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 12:28pm
You guys do realise that the OP, having played Belgian 2/1 league, is minimum 2150 and more than likely >2250.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2015 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

You guys do realise that the OP, having played Belgian 2/1 league, is minimum 2150 and more than likely >2250.

I also read that bit SmileSmileSmileSmile...... did wonder if everyone else did.

"In Belgium you have a "super" division followed by first and second
league nationwide. I played second league for 10 years and first league
for 1 year"

The OP prob holds a decent C ranking or maybe higher which makes him a pretty handy player.

Guessing there are a few match videos around for us to get a better idea of OP's play.

Edited by ghostzen - 07/12/2015 at 6:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic