Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubber Cement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubber Cement
    Posted: 07/04/2015 at 12:20am
Sorry if this is old topic, but I tried the search engine and I cannot find the one I am looking for.
My Butterfly Clean Chack is just finished so I have to change it. I bought Elmer's Rubber Cement, and I read a thread describing how to use it to get the maximum benefit (this is a long time ago), but I cannot find the thread.
Please tell me how to use it, do I put one layer on the rubber and one layer on the blade (or more layers?), then can I just put it together or do I have to wait until it is completely dry.
Thanks
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Sponsored Links

LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 12:41am
I would recommend adding a small amount of thinner to the rubber cement. Then apply it to both the rubber and the blade. Wait at least 30 minutes for it to dry, and up to a couple of hours before mounting.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 1:35am
What do you mean by maximum benefit?  Are you trying to use it as speed glue?

If so, to get maximum benefit cut it with lighter fluid, say 25 percent.  Of course it's not legal but neither is fresh rubber cement.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 7:04am
What I mean is to make the rubber stick properly to the blade but will not cause splinter when I change the rubber. I do not have the intention to get the speed glue effect. What happen if I just use the Elmer's rubber cement as it is without diluting it ? Can I just put one layer on the rubber, one layer on the blade and put it together right away or should I wait until it is dry ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 10:32am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

What I mean is to make the rubber stick properly to the blade but will not cause splinter when I change the rubber. I do not have the intention to get the speed glue effect. What happen if I just use the Elmer's rubber cement as it is without diluting it ? Can I just put one layer on the rubber, one layer on the blade and put it together right away or should I wait until it is dry ?

You don't have to wait. 5 minutes is okay for both rubber and blade.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Note: the quickest it is to dry, the more VOC in your mix!!!  so...wait a long time if you do not want any speed glue effect. I recommend you let your rubbers and blade sit overnight after you applied that king of glue on them (one light coat on the blade, 3 light coats on the sponge waiting 10 minutes between coats in the mix detailed below).

Not really.  The quicker it is to dry the more volatile the solvent in your glue is.  Heptane is pretty volatile and goes away fairly quickly.  The solvents used in speed glues were generally less volatile and the speed glue effect would tend to last longer.  The longer lasting speed glues used even less volatile solvents.

I agree with the suggestion to use Bestine glue and thinner.  That's the rubber cement I use when I use rubber cement.

Edited by wturber - 07/05/2015 at 10:19pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2015 at 10:32pm
I use Elmers straight from the bottle. One coat on rubber and blade. I use the brush in the cap, then go over it with the same type of small sponge I use for water based glue. This yields a nice smooth, thin layer.

The glue dries in a 5 minutes or so.

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2015 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

I use Elmers straight from the bottle. One coat on rubber and blade. I use the brush in the cap, then go over it with the same type of small sponge I use for water based glue. This yields a nice smooth, thin layer.

The glue dries in a 5 minutes or so.

I use the rubber cement straight from the bottle as well. I wait couple hrs before mounting though. 
BTW, the speed of a fresh assembly blade / rubber is faster than normal. The effect lasts for couple days LOLLOLLOLLOL
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2015 at 8:12pm

Many whelmers sink the ship (Br.)
    Many physicians have killed the king (Br.)
    Too many cooks spoil the broth (Am., Br.)
    Too many fingers (hands) spoil the pie (Am.)
    Too many hands in the pot make poor soup (Am.)
    Two captains will wreck a ship (Am.)
    Where every man is master, the world goes to wrack (Am., Br.)
    With seven nurses a child will get injured without an eye (Rus.)

Edited by igorponger - 07/06/2015 at 8:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic