FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

hardbat vs ox long pips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hardbat vs ox long pips
    Posted: 07/06/2015 at 4:02pm
Hi I was wondering if someone tried to play short pips no sponge against pushblockers who use long pips ox(especially tibhar grass dtecs). I have sometimes problems against these pushblockers and I wonder what happens if I would use a hardbat and just push and flat hit every ball back to them. How would the long pips react to this?
Sponsored Links

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2015 at 4:15pm
You will get lots of quick no-spin balls back at you all over the table.  If you are fast enough you will have lots of opportunities to smash from both fh and bh.  If you are slow, you will pop lots of soft balls back to him as he moves you around.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2015 at 4:43pm
Skyline, take a one month vacation to Korea and play in ANY club there. Over 1/2 the women O40/O50 use such a bat with D-Techs on OX on BH. You give 'em a loose ball and they will FH skull drug crush it on you. No one uses a hard bat there. You try to do that and play without spin, they will still eat you alive. A LOT of them practice a full hour a day hitting to each other using only the OX LP. By the time one year goes by, they are expert at how to handle a no-spin ball and how to hit it about as hard as you can hit it and still land it safe deep 99% landing rate.

You got a lot of ways to get a predictable ball you want to powerloop or spin really heavy. Speed and spin are your friends vs this crowd and a hard bat doesn't really give you those.

I'm not saying it is impossible, there are two gents a Boston TTC who use hardbats almost exclusively and can handle your ave Div 1 female OX LPplayer, but it is because they are both O2000 players they could do it, skill and class would show.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2015 at 11:05pm
(BH-Man)   No one uses a hard bat there. You try to do that and play without spin, they will still eat you alive.  (presumably the 1/2 of the O40/O50 women at your club in (South) Korea who use OX D-Techs on their backhand side)

(BH-Man again)  Speed and spin are your friends vs this crowd and a hard bat doesn't really give you those.

One of the most arduous tasks those of us who play with hard rubber rackets undertake is to debunk the myth that a blade covered with hard rubber is incapable of imparting spin.  Topspin and underspin are both types of spin, and a hard rubber racket in capable hands is quite capable of imparting both of those types of spin.  It is also possible, and a frequently successful tactic against a player who uses OX long pips on one side of his/her racket mainly to block while standing close to the table, to hit through that player incorporating considerably more speed than said player is likely to be able to impart.  I have on occasion done this, and much more illustrious hard rubber masters such as the late Mr. Reisman could utterly discombobulate an OX long pipper's game, by angle pushing short off the side of the table and then crushing the subsequent weak and wobbly return.  

Sidespin in hard rubber play has been understood since at least the mid-1930s, but dismissed in instruction books of that time and throughout the 1940s for two main reasons:  (a) if used while serving it could be successfully returned by a capable player to an opponent's middle or to his/her backhand, and (b) if used during the employment of topspin drives or chops it tended to play havoc with what might otherwise have been a clean stroke.

Modern hardbat players who derive their games from sponge play can and do incorporate various types of sidespin/topspin, sidespin/underspin, no spin, and reverse sidespin services. The Isle of Man's Scott Johnson, however, chooses instead to use straightforward mostly underspin forehand and backhand services and sports a classical game with an excellent forehand and backhand push coupled with a decisive forehand and backhand drive.  He can also countertopspin topspins and push pushes, while France's Jean-Michel Carquin, given his druthers, would just as soon whomp the ball off either wing.  He can also murder chop.  Ask Joo Se Hyuk.

Edited by berndt_mann - 07/07/2015 at 12:20am
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2015 at 11:32pm
I waz talkin' 'bout HEAVY Spin, but ask heavy Spin what I mean :D
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 10:59am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I waz talkin' 'bout HEAVY Spin, but ask heavy Spin what I mean :D

http://www.britishpathe.com/search/query/table+tennis+victor+barna

If you enjoy serious spin (and who doesn't?) check out Victor Barna's underspin/sidespin services in his brief 1946 instructional film.  Not quite Ma Lin, but perfectly legal for the times.  Barna was 35 years old when this film clip was made.

Edited by berndt_mann - 07/07/2015 at 11:07am
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 6:10pm
I've wondered the same thing. I think it would work pretty well. They strive off your spin and speed so if you are hitting with a hardbat they wouldn't have much to work with. To beat pushblocker with a hb all you would have to do is be steady and place the ball well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic