Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

slower but consistent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: slower but consistent
    Posted: 07/22/2015 at 3:41pm
knees are in poor shape, but I can still manage some consistency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycZFo1ViW3I
The Older I get, The better I was.
Sponsored Links

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 5:23am
Yes, that is exactly why I use it, combined with the T05 it gives me long dwell and a nice high arcing trajectory.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 1:49pm
Looking super solid Andy. Hope the knees get a little easier soon.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 3:06pm
Compliments to the feeder also. It's not easy keeping the ball placement as precise as that.
BTW, young Fred copied his style from you, maybe?
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 3:17pm
Very nice, that is my ultimate goal to keep hitting the ball smoothly to one spot using BH/FH with good rhythm and consistency. Very impressive. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 4:47pm
Good use of the eyes. I wish I tracked the ball that well. Gave me something to focus on today!
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 5:54pm
You play like a tank... no seriously.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

come on! It's not because he's old, fat and slow that you can insult him like that...i you should know better and show more diplomacy

As we age, virtually all of us become fatter and slower.  I am no longer the golden retriever I once was in my early twenties dressing out at 130 lbs. with a 27" waist.  Should you live long enough, SmackDAT, and not get struck by lightning or squashed by a meteor, this will happen to you too. Cry

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

come on! It's not because he's old, fat and slow that you can insult him like that...i you should know better and show more diplomacy

As we age, virtually all of us become fatter and slower.  I am no longer the golden retriever I once was in my early twenties dressing out at 130 lbs. with a 27" waist.  Should you live long enough, SmackDAT, and not get struck by lightning or squashed by a meteor, this will happen to you too. Cry

Yes, we  do tend to.  But a fair bit of this is choice. I'm currently 170 but was 140 -145 as a young man. I could drop ten pounds pretty easily if I put my mind to it.  And Wiggy could drop some poundage as well if he wanted to.  It would help his game and his knees.  The real question is whether or not it is worth it.

The simply fact is that even a bit heavy and with bad knees, I'd bet Wiggy outplays the vast majority of players on this forum and played well enough years ago that he has no real chance of ever playing his best or close to it again.  Players like me who never played that well when we were younger can still look forward to playing our best in the future.  So motivations differ.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 9:14pm
What is apw's rating?
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2015 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

What is apw's rating?

Now, it's hard to say. But I have seen videos of him play at around USATT 2300-2400.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2015 at 6:05am
My ETTA ranking is just outside the top 100 men, something that I am extremely proud of given my age of 52. As I get older I find that I play with less pressure and a clear head. Jay is spot on with his comments, I can't possibly play to past standards, so the enthusiasm to improve diminishes. I still love competing though.
jimkrid23 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimkrid23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2015 at 5:58pm
Wow you don't make mistakes. Very high level table tennis; 2400+ is my guess. 

With love and respect, 

JKridty

Edited by jimkrid23 - 07/26/2015 at 6:16pm
Tk5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2015 at 6:06pm
Looking good APW! You still got it. I played number 29 in England recently and his level is probably 2350-2450.

Edited by Tk5 - 07/26/2015 at 6:10pm
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2015 at 6:36pm
Can we see a match video?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2015 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Tk5 Tk5 wrote:

Looking good APW! You still got it. I played number 29 in England recently and his level is probably 2350-2450.

Interesting. Do you know how many active members there are in England? I wonder what the dropoff is between 29-100 and how it compares in the USA.
jimkrid23 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimkrid23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2015 at 6:49pm
Very heavy topspins APW is creating. I'm going to try that sicknasty wrist action when I am slinging around my T5000 tomorrow. 

Kridty Beatz

Edited by jimkrid23 - 07/26/2015 at 6:59pm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 6:20am
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

Interesting. Do you know how many active members there are in England? I wonder what the dropoff is between 29-100 and how it compares in the USA.
 There are around 25000 registered players in England, but unlike USATT, not all events/competitions are in the ranking scheme. I recently had a win against the English no1 at over 50's, but my highest win in the Men's ranking was 46 last season. My Highest ever win in terms of ranking was 13 ( an up and coming Paul Drinkhall) and I had a handful of other top 20 wins. From what I have learned off the forums, the English top 100 and USATT top 100 are comparable, with debatably the English having a less pronounced tail off.
 I am very proud that I have been in and around the English top 100 for 20 years in succession.

BTW guys, I am not really spinning the ball in that clip, just counter hitting, although my set up does give be a high arc due to its high throw properties. A short clip of a more aggressive topspin drive is here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2IZipdQuNE
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 9:27am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

There are around 25000 registered players in England, but unlike USATT, not all events/competitions are in the ranking scheme. I recently had a win against the English no1 at over 50's, but my highest win in the Men's ranking was 46 last season. My Highest ever win in terms of ranking was 13 ( an up and coming Paul Drinkhall) and I had a handful of other top 20 wins. From what I have learned off the forums, the English top 100 and USATT top 100 are comparable, with debatably the English having a less pronounced tail off.
 I am very proud that I have been in and around the English top 100 for 20 years in succession.

BTW guys, I am not really spinning the ball in that clip, just counter hitting, although my set up does give be a high arc due to its high throw properties. A short clip of a more aggressive topspin drive is here;

That video was sick.... so smooth, consistent, spinny and powerful! I bet most members here would kill to have strokes like that Tongue 

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 9:41am

Wow that is amazing. I would kill to say that I beat Paul Drinkhall before. I saw your backhand in match videos and feel like that is your strong point. Some seriously spinny stuff. Did Drinkhall struggle with it?
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 9:47am
Just to expand on what Wiggy says, there are about 25-30k active players. But it's all about non-rated team competitions in the UK and only about 1000 players or so actually play in rated competitions whether team or singles events. And even there, probably only 150 or so are very active (ie > 4 rated singles events per season).
So the ranking list is a good general guide but not very accurate below the top 20 or so.
TTE is making changes. in fact we now have a rating list which includes more of those players that actually play but don't appear on the ranking list.
BTW, to emphasise the great gulf between us and French TT, English players ranked 20-30 would probably rank >200 in France.
Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 10:52am

Wow that is amazing. I would kill to say that I beat Paul Drinkhall before. I saw your backhand in match videos and feel like that is your strong point. Some seriously spinny stuff. Did Drinkhall struggle with it?
Yes he did, but he was only 14 at the time, although I do believe he was number 1 in Europe in that age group. outclassed me but lost through inexperience.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Just to expand on what Wiggy says, there are about 25-30k active players. But it's all about non-rated team competitions in the UK and only about 1000 players or so actually play in rated competitions whether team or singles events. And even there, probably only 150 or so are very active (ie > 4 rated singles events per season).
So the ranking list is a good general guide but not very accurate below the top 20 or so.
TTE is making changes. in fact we now have a rating list which includes more of those players that actually play but don't appear on the ranking list.
BTW, to emphasise the great gulf between us and French TT, English players ranked 20-30 would probably rank >200 in France.

I agree to a certain extent Tiny, But I think the list is pretty accurate up to the top 150/200, its very difficult to find players who can compete  on level terms in the British league div 1's, the standard starts to tail off, players outside the top 200 get low averages unless they are rapidly improving in which case they don't stay outside for long. 
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 1:36pm
True, in that the 150/200 players would still be 150/200 but their ranking would shift around a bit. I was thinking of all those vets of high standard that don't play GP or singles events where the rating multiplier is higher than either SBL or VBL.
Anyway, I much prefer this system than the US system where every match counts. Our local league would be very different if players start thinking about their ratings.
Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 1:42pm
BTW beating PD at 14yo was quite an achievement. I can only remember him being beat by top 5 players when he was that age. By age 16 he was the English no1, aided by Cookie dropping himself from the ranking list.
Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 5:44pm

BTW beating PD at 14yo was quite an achievement. I can only remember him being beat by top 5 players when he was that age. By age 16 he was the English no1, aided by Cookie dropping himself from the ranking list.
It was a big upset at the time, he also lost to Dave Harvey though, so maybe a bad weekend, I seem to remember something going on with his coach at the time.

FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 6:15pm
Glad everybody is enjoying getting older and fatter?...I started out in sept. 2010 weighing 170lbs....35 years of beer behind me. currently I am playing 5-6 days a week @135lbs. I did not think I would dip below 150lbs. I am struggling to stay above 130lbs. so I took a week away from the table to gain some weight and got myself to 135lbs. again. My goal is to be around 145-150 it will have to be muscle weight or it wont happen untill I stop training. If you guys happen to lose a few pounds, I hope I can find them, 56 years old and too skinny!
If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2015 at 11:57pm

I would guess that APW was playing no less than USATT2500
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2015 at 8:04am

The days of division 1 north and Ormesby with Paul, Bryn (what ever happened to him?) and Steve Baily and I think Keith Roger if memory serves right. 

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2015 at 9:29am
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

The days of division 1 north and Ormesby with Paul, Bryn (what ever happened to him?) and Steve Baily and I think Keith Roger if memory serves right. 

We were both younger and fitter! what ever happened to David Atkinson ? I used to have some real battles with him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic