Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P7 Substitute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2015 at 8:28pm
I guess what they did was alter the pip geometry a tiny bit(realised after reading yogis review hehe) , so all in all I guess 5Q+ is a 'little' bit more dynamic and maybe less deader compared to the older 5Q. Sensitivity to incoming shots should be the same making the passive game almost similar while being a little lively the active game gets an improvement.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Sponsored Links

Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 9:37pm
From what I was told... Hexer is the closest thing to P7 but I have never tried Hexer... can anyone compare? If I had to go for Tibhar I would lean towards MX-S and get used to it... or MX-P which I think is an overpowered, harder version of the same concept as P7 but... with less control on 3rd ball for sure....

So far it does seem that I will not really find a substitute and that I am going to have to make several adjustments...in that case I might aswell go for T05 as for me it's rather close to P7 but inferior for 3rd ball - and better at rallying
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 4:22am
Hexer is hard. It feels different from p7. Hexer hd is similar to tenzone.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 4:44am
I would actually have said Genius or Baracuda - but 5q is probably it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 5:02am
MX-P is nothing like P7. From Nextlevel's reviews, MX-S is even more different.
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 11:26am
Nope, Hexer is nowhere near, tried it.
MX-S is certainly different, but seems like it could be a good choice if you're willing to make changes to your game.

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 11:41am
If one's willing to make changes to their game, then any grippy rubber is a P7 substitute :-)

Edited by vvk1 - 08/09/2015 at 11:41am
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 11:47am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

If one's willing to make changes to their game, then any grippy rubber is a P7 substitute :-)

You got me there LOL
Embarrassed

But, the change needed to play with H3 would be much, much bigger, you have to admit.
MX-S should have at least couple of similarities; as I understood, it is (like P7) a rubber with not too much catapult, you have to play with the whole body to get the best out of it.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 11:50am
I think, what Vajica means, is that P7 and MX-S both have a harder sponge and softer top sheet, while Andro Hexer has a harder top sheet. Therefore I agree: MX-S is near to P7 than Hexer. 

Of course these rubbers are not extremely similar, because MX-S is slower in passive game (lower catapult) and faster, if you attack with full power.

I think, I am able to compare these two rubbers, because both are my actual choice, 
P7 (2,0) on forehand and MX-S (1,8) on backhand.
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 11:54am
Thanks Magic_M, it means a lot when you can compare them directly!
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by vajica vajica wrote:

You got me there LOL
Embarrassed

But, the change needed to play with H3 would be much, much bigger, you have to admit.
MX-S should have at least couple of similarities; as I understood, it is (like P7) a rubber with not too much catapult, you have to play with the whole body to get the best out of it.

Absolutely! I've gone through a switch from MX-P to H3 a year ago, and it took me almost an entire summer to get the hang of H3 on FH.  So, yeah, it should be much easier to switch to MX-S from P7 than to H3 - but only because MX-S is not tacky like a Chinese rubber such as H3. It is tackiness and its effect on blocking and "flatter" strokes that really make H3 such a tricky beast to master. And "whole body playing" is useful regardless of which rubber you use on FH!

vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 12:11pm

You got me there LOL
Embarrassed

Absolutely! I've gone through a switch from MX-P to H3 a year ago, and it took me almost an entire summer to get the hang of H3 on FH.  So, yeah, it should be much easier to switch to MX-S from P7 than to H3 - but only because MX-S is not tacky like a Chinese rubber such as H3. It is tackiness and its effect on blocking and "flatter" strokes that really make H3 such a tricky beast to master. And "whole body playing" is useful regardless of which rubber you use on FH!

Yep, my example of H3 was perhaps a bit too much, but I had to have a solid argument LOL
Anyway, I think you get my idea, as people report MX-S should be a really good rubber, esp. in plastic balls era, so it should be worth a try, and yet, it is not THAT far away from P7 as some other rubbers are.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 12:16pm

You got me there LOL
Embarrassed

Yep, my example of H3 was perhaps a bit too much, but I had to have a solid argument LOL
Anyway, I think you get my idea, as people report MX-S should be a really good rubber, esp. in plastic balls era, so it should be worth a try, and yet, it is not THAT far away from P7 as some other rubbers are.

+1. If I had to consider a replacement for P7 on FH now, I'd definitely be looking at MX-S - considering the unebbing flow of praise on this and other forums.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 12:27pm
No unebbing flow of praise here. I like the rubber, but it has its issues that you may or may not want to deal with, the most important is that it leads slightly larger strokes close to the table and much larger strokes away from the table than T05 or MX-P. It suits specific kinds of players - people with larger strokes, people who are comfortable with less ball arc, people who want Chinese like rubber without tack. But people looking for catapult or easy spin will hate it.
Cybershape Carbon
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 1:02pm
I was just joking. Still, you must admit that considering the scathing reviews rubbers like Killerspin Fortissimo or Stiga Caligra had received in the past, what you, Ilya, and others wrote about MX-S is mainly positive.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 1:14pm

I was just joking. Still, you must admit that considering the scathing reviews rubbers like Killerspin Fortissimo or Stiga Caligra had received in the past, what you, Ilya, and others wrote about MX-S is mainly positive.

Well, like all reasonable rubbers that do something good (T05, MX-P, Rasant, etc.), the criticism is relatively muted but does exist.  If you produce enough spin, then you are okay with me, regardless of issues.  You could probably count the rubbers I would truly enjoy using on one hand.
Cybershape Carbon
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2015 at 9:38am
I like P7 and I cannot lie
Those other rubbers can't deny
When a push comes in with itty bitty spin
And you loop it in their face
It gets spun.

You swines got my interest in P7 up again - haven't tried it for ages.  I used to find it a bit too jumpy in touch play, but it's just perfect with the new ball for me.

It reminds me most of a harder-sponged Baracuda.  I may stock up.
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2015 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I like P7 and I cannot lie
Those other rubbers can't deny
When a push comes in with itty bitty spin
And you loop it in their face
It gets spun.

You swines got my interest in P7 up again - haven't tried it for ages.  I used to find it a bit too jumpy in touch play, but it's just perfect with the new ball for me.

It reminds me most of a harder-sponged Baracuda.  I may stock up.

Nice parody, Andy. That's exactly what P7 reminds me of... Baracuda! 'Cuda with a better topsheet. 

I've recently and only briefly swapped to T05FX and T64FX, but have been disappointed in the results. Next on my list of possible suitors is Rasant Grip and Powergrip.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2015 at 9:05pm
Hey Mindtrip, I will take your old rubbers ;D

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2015 at 9:38pm
@mindtrip: Powergrip is definitively not P7. Rasant Grip is closer in this regard, but also not quite "it" (it has a slightly firmer, less dynamic feel). My hope resides with Tibhar rubbers...or off-brand P7 production.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 11/01/2015 at 1:21pm
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2015 at 10:38pm
Y'all shouldn't give up on P7 so early. I'm guessing that the reason Adidas bailed (apart from poor profitability) is that there must be plenty of unsold inventory around.

Rubbers have limited life, so look out for deep sales...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2015 at 11:55pm
I prefer Baracuda. And Hexer.
Cybershape Carbon
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 7:37am
How would yu guys compare the p7 vs the rakza 7 in terms of spin and speed? I'm guessing p7 being a tad bit spinnier with a higher throw and maybe a bit slower and ofcourse less jumpier.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 7:44am
Donic Baracuda is a reasonable suggestion. Our equipment expert Matt used to use Adidas P7 and says it's a shame the brand will discontinue!

In terms of similarities the Tibhar Evolution MX-S is relatively similar to P7. It is a little heavier and there are some minor differences in feeling and throw but you could probably make a smooth enough transition between the two rubbers.

Great to see so much experience and knowledge here in the forum about equipment, we love it! :)
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 2:23pm
But isn't the main reason many people love the p7 its easy to play nature? On the other hand mx-s is a lot more demanding right? Though both are uber spinny rubbers from what iv read.. So if it's only spin that the player is after! Then makes sense! Though I'm a bit confused abt whatever I just said lol 😂... PS- p7 vs rakza7 anyone?
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 3:06pm
P7 is not as spinny as MX-S - if it were, I would be using P7. I have only been able to compare the spin of MX-S to Tenergy 05 for my stroke feeling, though I used different levels of contact for both rubbers given the different sponge hardnesses.

P7 is bouncier than Rakza 7, but one person who used them both could not stand Rakza 7 after having used P7 for a while. His level is between 1750 and 2000 depending on the day and his mood, for what its worth.
Cybershape Carbon
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2015 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

How would yu guys compare the p7 vs the rakza 7 in terms of spin and speed? I'm guessing p7 being a tad bit spinnier with a higher throw and maybe a bit slower and ofcourse less jumpier.

You answered it yourself already :D
The throw is the main problem for switching to R7, other is fine for me.

The good news is, I tried MX-S :) :) :)
 and, yep, IMO it is a great rubber.
Harder overall feel then with P7, though the surface is also soft.
Spinny as you and your body can make it!

The only thing is, slow, controlled loops are much easier done with P7, you simply must loop very active every time with MX-S, but when oyu get it right you are rewarded 100% 

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2015 at 12:35am
The stroke for slow spinny loops with MX-S is larger. Whether it is harder or not depends on your technique.
Cybershape Carbon
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2015 at 12:54am
Damnit! Sooo need to stock up on some p7 😛
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2015 at 5:18am
Originally posted by tabletennis11 tabletennis11 wrote:

Donic Baracuda is a reasonable suggestion. Our equipment expert Matt used to use Adidas P7 and says it's a shame the brand will discontinue!

In terms of similarities the Tibhar Evolution MX-S is relatively similar to P7. It is a little heavier and there are some minor differences in feeling and throw but you could probably make a smooth enough transition between the two rubbers.

Great to see so much experience and knowledge here in the forum about equipment, we love it! :)

TT11, it is so unreasonable that you don't sell what your equipment expert uses. You should get some P7 and start a fire sale.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic