FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TBS/Viscaria + Tenergy substitutes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2015 at 11:01pm
Whatever alternatives people may settle with, just do not skimp on glue.  Get a quality one.  Those rubbers deserve something better than Tear Mender.

Edited by zeio - 08/07/2015 at 11:06pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2015 at 11:54pm
Yes, I have definitely come to appreciate using a good quality glue.
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 12:50am
No.
You'll save money if you go to the forest and search for trees which give you natural glue for free.
Like instructed here
http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Natural-Glue/

a

Edited by minja - 08/08/2015 at 1:05am
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 2:16am
Originally posted by minja minja wrote:

No.
You'll save money if you go to the forest and search for trees which give you natural glue for free.
Like instructed here
http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Natural-Glue/

a
minja, you sound mighty salty about something.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 3:08am
Might be his/her time of the month.

Nothing wrong with it, we would all appreciate a heads up though.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 3:13am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

Minja, you're an awesome troll.

Beeray, I agree with you. You don't have to aim for ALC from Butterfly or effectively knock-offs from other brands (especially since they often are slightly inferior), there are other great compositions. The Rossi Emotion, 7-ply blades, etc.

The hype for Rossi Emotion is real, may be deserved, but overblown by far.

What I wanted to say (which is a bit off-topic) is that the case presented by Haggisv sounds like young improving kids to me, since it's usually when uninformed parents need to step in and decide whether to cash in for better equipment. At that stage, moving to ALC isn't a must, there are other cheaper quality blades that have all the requirements for a fast improving kid, and won't be holding them back.

I switched to the Emotion after my Viscaria got stolen (not by choice, an emergency backup for a league match) and it's definitely a very solid do-it-all blade. It's a complete, easy-to-play blade for a very reasonable price, which I think makes it a good candidate. But it's far from the only one. And of course, if you can afford one, an ALC is very good.

Minja, apologies for the name-calling, but you are flaming more than is needed.
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 3:19am
minja is supposedly a 2600 player, so how dare we argue with him?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 3:54am
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">minja is supposedly a 2600 player, so how dare we argue with him?</span>

Skill is no guarantee of sanity.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 4:14am

What I wanted to say (which is a bit off-topic) is that the case presented by Haggisv sounds like young improving kids to me, since it's usually when uninformed parents need to step in and decide whether to cash in for better equipment. At that stage, moving to ALC isn't a must, there are other cheaper quality blades that have all the requirements for a fast improving kid, and won't be holding them back.

I switched to the Emotion after my Viscaria got stolen (not by choice, an emergency backup for a league match) and it's definitely a very solid do-it-all blade. It's a complete, easy-to-play blade for a very reasonable price, which I think makes it a good candidate. But it's far from the only one. And of course, if you can afford one, an ALC is very good.

The JRE is used at all levels - from international down.  One of the best players on the UK circuit uses it, and I see many promising juniors using it at Grand Prix events too.  It's a great blade, nothing wrong with it, and represents an absolute bargain when compared to Butterfly's insane pricing.  It's a gem.

Saving money on equipment doesn't automatically mean that you'll spend more in the long run.  You can only believe this crazy idea if you also accept that every player who picks up a bat below a certain value will automatically be an EJ, which is plainly untrue.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 7:57am
Even cheap 7plies can be pretty powerful, often spinner and provide better feeling than expensive composites right? And seeing that many pros still use the clipper, why not just suggest a similar 7 ply,unless the kids technique and power seriosly dictates that he will need a carbon composite to generate enough power. Used to use tbs and I found zlc and and my current force pro better in many aspects,though I must admit t05 works wonders on an alc blade. And I noticed that someone someone who doesn't wanna change rubbers often (cuz they lose spin and kick) will have a small advantage using all wood or something dwelly which can counteract the lose of spin with added dwell.... Just my opinion :)
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 9:47am
I recommend 729 V6 (TBS) or Yinhe Challenger (Vis) with Yinhe Moon on both sides.
There are some Tenergy substitutes but they are not worth to use.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 9:54am
There are many Pros using SK7and Clipper. Henzell plays with Yasaka products. Some good players prefer Andro.
Samsonov plays with Evolution. CNT have Hurricane.
And there still have pips players.

I have no idea why the coaches are very fancy in BTY stuffs and only T05.
Lack of knowledge on equipment, maybe?

Edited by chop4ever - 08/08/2015 at 10:03am
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 10:55am
Some coaches sell equipment to their students. Maybe its a money generating scheme.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 11:29am
chop4ever says there are some Tenergy substitutes but they are not worth using (in one post) and them mentions one of the all-time great players using Evolution, which is probably the best example in existence of a Tenergy substitute.

It turns out that Butterfly does much less for the players they sponsor than  other companies, so many players for economic reasons use other products (nominally), but how often is it a Butterfly blade with some other handle pasted on?

That's not a reason why junior players should be pushed into expensive Btfly products.  You probably won't buy your kid a BMW or a Mercedes for their first car either.  And some of the other blades listed are good.  But Butterfly is able to jack up their prices because people are willing to pay them, and there is a reason. And among Butterfly's product line, the Viscaria and the TBS are among the greatest blades they ever made, along with the Korbel and a few others.
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 12:47pm

Beeray, I agree with you. You don't have to aim for ALC from Butterfly or effectively knock-offs from other brands (especially since they often are slightly inferior), there are other great compositions. The Rossi Emotion, 7-ply blades, etc.

I'm not flaming, just trying to think with logic, but it seems you need to get to 2600 before you are able to do that.
I can't really think of a person who has enough money to play a hobby like tt regularly and doesn't have 60 or 70 extra to spend in a product he knows will last 10, 20, 30 years.

From your post it seems like one of the reasons you bought JRE is because you thought about saving money.
The difference in price between jre and viscaria is 20 dollars.
If 20 dollars is of really importance to you then you are near starvation.
Specially living in UK, 20 dollars is like two meal at McDonalds.

That's why I said from the beginning this whole thread is a joke.
The thread starter wants to go to a guy living in Australia and taking his kid to play tt to buy jre because it will save him 20 dollars and be of the same quality.

In the end this thread is not about that.
It's about looking cool showing you know everything about the subject.
While making the other person look bankrupt LOL

Edited by minja - 08/08/2015 at 1:02pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 12:58pm

I'm not flaming, just trying to think with logic, but it seems you need to get to 2600 before you are able to do that.
I can't really think of a person who has enough money to play a hobby like tt regularly and doesn't have 60 or 70 extra to spend in a product he knows will last 10, 20, 30 years.

You must not get around that much then.  120 to lay down on a blade, along with another 60 or 70 for rubbers, isn't chump change to parents who have mortgages, bills, kids with other interests, car payments, holiday savings etc.   We see a wide variety of families at my club with vastly different circumstances.  This can be a lot of cash for an up-front outlay to some of them.  You must move in rich circles.  Congrats!

But perhaps you would discuss 1st world economics to these parents and explain how they really should have this cash down the back of their sofas somewhere.  They'd love that, I'm sure.

It's also a risk for some parents.  They just don't know how long their kids will be into TT, so going all-in on a premium setup could be a waste of cash if the kid quits in a few months.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 1:03pm

Minja, for most pros a blade wouldn't last 10-20-30 years, since some change as soon as 6 months. For us common folks although investing in a good blade might seem like a good idea, can still be deterring because most players like to change setups very often just to try new things and saving 40-50 dollars here and there might seem okay.

Another thing is young players who are advancing fairly quickly while getting coaching usually change and upgrade the blade quickly as well.

If people have money to blow, let them. Their finances is their business.

Edited by DreiZ - 08/08/2015 at 1:04pm
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

You must not get around that much then.  120 to lay down on a blade, along with another 60 or 70 for rubbers, isn't chump change to parents who have mortgages, bills, kids with other interests, car payments, holiday savings etc.   We see a wide variety of families at my club with vastly different circumstances.  This can be a lot of cash for an up-front outlay to some of them.  You must move in rich circles.  Congrats!

But perhaps you would discuss 1st world economics to these parents and explain how they really should have this cash down the back of their sofas somewhere.  They'd love that, I'm sure.

It's also a risk for some parents.  They just don't know how long their kids will be into TT, so going all-in on a premium setup could be a waste of cash if the kid quits in a few months.

dude the difference in price between joola rossi emotion and viscaria is 20 dollars.
since you are from uk that's 12 pounds.
that's one meal at mcdonalds.

a parent, a person who doesn't have money for 1 meal at mcdonalds won't have a car, won't have a mortgage, won't go on holidays.
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Minja, for most pros a blade wouldn't last 10-20-30 years, since some change as soon as 6 months. For us common folks although investing in a good blade might seem like a good idea, can still be deterring because most players like to change setups very often just to try new things and saving 40-50 dollars here and there might seem okay.

Another thing is young players who are advancing fairly quickly while getting coaching usually change and upgrade the blade quickly as well.

If people have money to blow, let them. Their finances is their business.

If you like changing setups often then you have 50, 500 and more to spare.

A young kid with a viscaria will never need to change blade.
That's why coaches suggest them to get a viscaria in the first place.

I've known quite a few people who keep the same blade for ages and are not poor but the cost of a blade is something to them.
And this whole thread is just sad, most people here probably buy a new blade every couple of months, and then go think about saving 40 on a blade (which means they see themselves as beggars).

Edited by minja - 08/08/2015 at 1:14pm
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 1:13pm
I've heard it's wise to change your blade every couple of years as sweat and micro-fractures in the wood do create wear.
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 1:14pm
There were so many changes in last 10 years only. May you imagine anyone still playing with 10+ years old TBSpark, for example? Besides, if you're active or competitive player, it is very likely the blade won't last for too long. The blade may last 10, 20, 30 years only with collector.

Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

There were so many changes in last 10 years only. May you imagine anyone still playing with 10+ years old TBSpark, for example? Besides, if you're active or competitive player, it is very likely the blade won't last for too long. The blade may last 10, 20, 30 years only with collector.

Look at timo boll or zhang jike.
They have been using the same blade for all their career.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 1:29pm
The other factor for the students and parents is to "keep up with the Jones". Kids/parents WILL compare what they have versus what other kids have.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
minja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

The other factor for the students and parents is to "keep up with the Jones". Kids/parents WILL compare what they have versus what other kids have.

You are really giving your kid a nice kick start.
My kid uses JRE because I wanted to save 20 and then spend them at the bar.
He may not be olympic champion, but I saved my 20 bucks!
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 1:38pm
Please stop ... guessing.

We have member here at MyTT who has Timo's personal blade in his collection. Enough?

Also note that Viscaria in the UK costs 104GBP and JRE may be found within EU for as low as 54EUR shipped (incl. VAT).

You're right regarding Viscaria, though: with its slim handle it may be suitable for kids.

Edited by Ray - 08/08/2015 at 1:44pm
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 1:48pm
There are plenty of examples of top players using the same blade for a long time. Dan Seemiller for example uses the same blade since 30+ (!) years.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 2:02pm

That's just my observation as a coach. In the SF Bay Area, I see some parents buying their kids a MJ or Photino with T05 on both sides.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

There are plenty of examples of top players using the same blade for a long time. Dan Seemiller for example uses the same blade since 30+ (!) years.

If I have to guess, he uses rubber cement.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 2:06pm

dude the difference in price between joola rossi emotion and viscaria is 20 dollars.
since you are from uk that's 12 pounds.
that's one meal at mcdonalds.

a parent, a person who doesn't have money for 1 meal at mcdonalds won't have a car, won't have a mortgage, won't go on holidays.

Wrong. Maybe the problem is that you don't know how much things cost. Viscaria here in the UK is £104, plus postage. You can't shop around - butterfly stop you. The JRE on the other hand is £39 free shipping from Tim's. So...what's your next straw man?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2015 at 2:09pm

Professional players use the JRE, and your cost info is totally wrong.

The idea that a cheaper blade will stunt the growth of a player...just idiotic. You've been bewitched by marketing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic