FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Switching from Penhold to Shakehand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
marceldacs View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marceldacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Switching from Penhold to Shakehand
    Posted: 08/15/2015 at 8:51pm
Hello,
I have been playing penhold for 2-3 years now but am deciding to switch to Shakehand since Penhold kind of hurts my fingers. I had a question about shakehand. 

-When I am doing a normal forehand stroke, is it normal for me to feel as if the racket is pointed to my left when it contacts the ball (I'm right-handed)? Is this happening because i am hitting the ball too late in my stroke? Should i hit the ball earlier in my stroke when the racket IS perpendicular to the table?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

marceldacs View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marceldacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2015 at 8:57pm
Another quick question. I have been told to bend my wrist down while hitting with the forehand so that the racket handle is in line with my fore arm. Should my wrist be kept totally stable during my strokes, or should it snap up. I also feel like i have to consciously force my wrist to be straight. Will this become naturally relaxed over time?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2015 at 9:12pm
I will refer you to Ma Long.

Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2015 at 9:23pm
I think you need to relax, get used to playing that way and not worry about those kinds of details in the mechanics.  Make sure not to grip too tight. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2015 at 9:31pm
The specifics of how you contact the ball don't really matter as long as you are getting an output that you like.  If not, you can look at how you contact the ball in detail.  

Unless you are training to be a world champ, just do a stroke that comes fairly naturally to you.  As long as the contact is brushy, there are other details that are much more significant than the specifics of ball contact (the finishing position and backswing, for example).

The specifics will mostly affect how you should optimally block.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic