Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stiga infinity vps v replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stiga infinity vps v replacement
    Posted: 08/24/2015 at 7:55pm
My poor stiga infinity vps has been great but after tonight I think its on its way out...death by table impact...CryCry I seem to have the age old problem of the top layer coming away from the blade Cry Ouch Its been glued a few times already so i've decided to have a change of blade.

While I'm at it I'm looking for something with a bit more speed than the infinity but the same hard or solid feel that the blade has. The other thing is my blade is 82g on my scales so It can't be too heavy.

My style of play is topsin drives both wings with good touch and control needed for my blocking and service and return. I tend to stay close as much as possible.

I'm using Tibhar MX-P FH 2.0 and 1.7 BH.

Not really into EJing really so help is much needed!

Cheers

Sponsored Links

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2015 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

My poor stiga infinity vps has been great but after tonight I think its on its way out...death by table impact...CryCry I seem to have the age old problem of the top layer coming away from the blade

That seems to be an ongoing Stiga quality issue
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 2:02am
Vega Pro or Euro comes to my mind.

Edited by speaquinox - 08/25/2015 at 3:29am
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 9:47am
Buy a new Infinity. 
Detach the rubber's edges first (1 cm) and then from side to side.
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 10:37am
Next time try to use some protector, like varnish, on the blade. It might prevent future damages
Figueiredo81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Figueiredo81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 12:10pm
I never felt the need to varnish good quality blades. If a player doesn't like to play with varnished wood then he must opt for Butterfly, Tibhar (careful as some are already varnished), Nittaku.
I never had a Japan made Butterfly splinter on me but China made low price stuff from Butterfly are not from the same league.

Edited by Figueiredo81 - 08/25/2015 at 12:18pm
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 12:18pm
E nota-se assim tanto a diferença entre 2 madeiras iguais com as mesmas borrachas, uma com e outra sem verniz (em pequena quantidade e destes "vernizes" novos sem VOC)?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Figueiredo81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 12:22pm
It really depends on the amount of varnish you use but yes, the difference exists. Might be more or less depending on the lacquering service. Personally I prefer pure wood surface. This way the rubbers bond better and don't detach easily on the borders when you hit the ball or table with the blade. 
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 12:25pm
I had that problem when I laquered blades and used sami
pryde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pryde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 12:26pm
for me, use varnish is better, because easy to remove the rubber, and protect from splinter.
all of my stiga blade (exclude new one which has coating on top), i put thin varnish.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Figueiredo81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 12:27pm
Of course you did, SAMI was really strong VOC Glue with forbidden substances like toluene. The rubbers did curl like crazy. You can always use edge tape to minimize the problem.

Edited by Figueiredo81 - 08/25/2015 at 12:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Figueiredo81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 12:39pm
My advice to OP is to go for BTY Primorac (OFF-) or Korbel (OFF) but JAPAN MADE! The normal Primorac and Korbel are made in China and are nowhere near the same playing quality and finish. These blades are very good replacements and adequate to your need for good feel and control.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Figueiredo81 Figueiredo81 wrote:

I never had a Japan made Butterfly splinter on me
I don`t know, where the Butterfly Liu Shiwen is produced, but this was definitely the blade with the lowest quality (outer veneer) which I ever had - and I think, I had more thane 300 blades in my hands in the last years. The outer veneer spinters even if you look at it.

Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Figueiredo81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2015 at 5:28pm
That's very hard to believe... Did you got ripped off and bought a fake?
I've owned 20+ Bty Japan made and one ocasional splinter every now and then and that's it. Blades last years in my hand.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 1:54pm
I bought my Liu Shiwen directly from Butterfly Germany. When I removed the rubbers for the first time, I had 3 or 4 small splinters at the edges. But as I said, I don`t know where the Liu Shiwen is produced. 

I phoned with Butterfly Germany and told them about the bad quality of this blade. They answered, that this must be my own mistake (by cutting the rubbers). I have to say, that 1) I am a real EJ and 2) I am playing table tennis since a very long time (I am 50+). I glued and cutted hundreds of rubbers without such veneer-damages. I told them (Butterfly), that I have never had such problems with the older Butterfly blades like Primorac, Korbel, Viscaria, ...

Fact is, that this was the worst blade (quality, not playing-skills), that I ever had and fact is also, that they did not exchange the blade. This behavior, together with the high prices (without any discount) is a bit too much for me.
Da Baobei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Baobei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Figueiredo81 Figueiredo81 wrote:

My advice to OP is to go for BTY Primorac (OFF-) or Korbel (OFF) but JAPAN MADE! The normal Primorac and Korbel are made in China and are nowhere near the same playing quality and finish. These blades are very good replacements and adequate to your need for good feel and control.

The non-japanese bty blades are made in Hungary, not China. Other than that, if you really like the infinity you should get one from China (silver sticker) or Japan (JTTAA branding on the bottom of the handle). The finish and qc of these are way better than the versions with the standard paper sticker.
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 3:16pm
Paying premium price for China made or JTTAA Stiga blade is ridiculous.

Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Da Baobei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Baobei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 4:14pm
If he intends to keep it for years it's not ridiculous. Trying several blades to find one that comes close to his infinity will be more expensive. Also the silver sticker ones are not China made, they all come from Sweden but have different finish and qc.
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2015 at 5:06pm
The Stiga Carbonado blades are good. Little faster than Infinity I think. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic