Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing Serve - how do I setup my Loop now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
heavyforehand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 7:08pm
Well I will get to play with the Rhyzm tomorrow. I glued it on both sides tonight.

Obviously the weight has gone up and the power is substantially more - the ball bounces much higher off the paddle by a fair amount.

The good news for me is that my loop has improved a lot. I am hitting it much more now and winning a lot more points with it. So with the new rubber I should probably focus on more brush since it is a lot faster.

I would imagine it will take me some time to get my feel back, but I'm thinking chopping from medium distance may be even better. I have been doing that a lot on defense and it works well but now I should be able to impart a lot more spin on the ball.

The original topic - my serve. I have been doing backhand from the middle of the table. Multiple spins. I was told today to try sidespin from the left side of the table because it should get me even more balls to my forehand. Im going to give that a go. Things have been encouraging lately. I am able to slide in long topspin serves now and then to get free forehand drive winners. Im also attacking a lot more balls then before with loop drives. I still tend to chop a little too much and wait for a ball I can loop, but I'm hoping the new rubber helps me loop backspin more often. I had the confidence to do that with Rakza 7 so I'm sure it will translate over to the Rhyzm as well.

Edited by heavyforehand - 09/15/2015 at 7:10pm
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (86 grams)

FH : Joola Rhyzm Max

BH : Joola Rhyzm Max

Weight - 186 grams
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 12:13pm
Thanks a lot fellas! The Rhyzm recommendation was dead on. It's like Mark V but way better. Easier to loop and the adjustment was far easier than I thought.

On serve I can use a lot less effort and get the same level of backspin. My FH loop requires less effort, and on my first match ever with the rubber I won 3 of 5, so my confidence was there pretty fast.

As of right now I currently can not see a downside with the switch. I also am more confident on bachand now that I'm back to a higher speed and thicker rubber. I know I can get the bite to keep the ball in so I'm looping more now.

A few weeks of really locking in with it and I think my game will only go up now. Really appreciate the advice.

Weight - 186 grams
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by heavyforehand heavyforehand wrote:

Thanks a lot fellas! The Rhyzm recommendation was dead on. It's like Mark V but way better. Easier to loop and the adjustment was far easier than I thought.

On serve I can use a lot less effort and get the same level of backspin. My FH loop requires less effort, and on my first match ever with the rubber I won 3 of 5, so my confidence was there pretty fast.

As of right now I currently can not see a downside with the switch. I also am more confident on bachand now that I'm back to a higher speed and thicker rubber. I know I can get the bite to keep the ball in so I'm looping more now.

A few weeks of really locking in with it and I think my game will only go up now. Really appreciate the advice.

How good do you really want to get at this sport?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 1:31pm
Not sure how to answer that, but Ill try. I play about every day and would like to play tournaments and win.

Why do you ask?

Weight - 186 grams
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 1:48pm
Because know your goals helps me put advice and its value in their proper context. At your rating level (assuming it hasn't changed), one's ability to objectively assess certain things is a bit limited. I was where you were 4 years ago so I remember it. There is much more value in acquiring and building q consistent spin oreiendted stroke than anything else you are doing right now will bring to your game. Find the right coach and keep that focus in mind and the rest falls into place. Other things are largely distractors.
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 1:58pm
Agree completely. I already have a coach who is good and just wanted to get the gear thing sorted so I can move on. We use the new balls and going over the advise in this thread about using more modern rubbers and developing on them just really started to make sense. 

Im just happy it was an easy transition. Really took no huge adjustment for me to switch to these max rubbers. My blade is very nice too so I think Im all set. I prefer to use the same gear for a long time because I get used to it and get better. So the switch to rhyzm made me think I'd take a step back - relieved that I did not.

Weight - 186 grams
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 2:38pm

Agree completely. I already have a coach who is good and just wanted to get the gear thing sorted so I can move on. We use the new balls and going over the advise in this thread about using more modern rubbers and developing on them just really started to make sense. 

Im just happy it was an easy transition. Really took no huge adjustment for me to switch to these max rubbers. My blade is very nice too so I think Im all set. I prefer to use the same gear for a long time because I get used to it and get better. So the switch to rhyzm made me think I'd take a step back - relieved that I did not.

It's virtually impossible to take a meaningful step back when you are under USATT 1600.  When people talk about protecting their game style, ratings etc. at that level, I try to make sense of it and I guess while it may be natural to feel that way, I can tell you that it's based on a very wrong view of where you are in the TT chain.
Cybershape Carbon
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Because know your goals helps me put advice and its value in their proper context. At your rating level (assuming it hasn't changed), one's ability to objectively assess certain things is a bit limited. I was where you were 4 years ago so I remember it. There is much more value in acquiring and building q consistent spin oreiendted stroke than anything else you are doing right now will bring to your game. Find the right coach and keep that focus in mind and the rest falls into place. Other things are largely distractors.

With the possible exception being footwork.  Getting your footwork right early on and avoiding certain footwork pitfalls is, IMO, probably more important than good strokes if your goal is to reach a relatively high level.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 3:59pm
Awesome you can put the EJ bug away and start having some fun.

Congrats.

TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

With the possible exception being footwork.  Getting your footwork right early on and avoiding certain footwork pitfalls is, IMO, probably more important than good strokes if your goal is to reach a relatively high level.

I've seen 2100+ kids with relatively bad footwork but excellent strokes so I am not convinced per se.  My footwork sucks as well.  My hierarchy is strokes, foot positioning then footwork.  And at almost any time, if you are willing to put in the work to develop new leg muscles, you can always work on your footwork.  Since foot positioning is an aspect of strokes, technical footwork IMO is about optimal ways of getting into position.  That said, subpotimal ways work better than many people think they do - that's what I have noticed from watching players with good strokes but bad footwork play.

On the other hand, I am speaking in the context of inverted.  Short pips etc. have different timing demands.  Inverted allows you to play at your own timing more than any other surface.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/16/2015 at 4:23pm
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 6:33pm
I actually have good footwork. Wide base and I set up then hit. Probably my strong point. Im fast and played a lot of basketball so the wide base lateral movement comes naturally. When my feet are moving, and I line up my right foot to the ball on a forehand I can hit very big drives.

I usually know I'm struggling if my feet aren't moving well enough. In my opinion, it is super important, at least for me.

Do have a question. I just hit the side of my blade against the table and its a little splintered on the side. Its around a 1 inch long split that goes along the edge of the blade. Which sucks, but its bound to happen. Is there anything I should do? I use edge tape. 

In a few months I planned to buy another blade as a backup but Id rather not right now.

Weight - 186 grams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 6:37pm

It's virtually impossible to take a meaningful step back when you are under USATT 1600.  When people talk about protecting their game style, ratings etc. at that level, I try to make sense of it and I guess while it may be natural to feel that way, I can tell you that it's based on a very wrong view of where you are in the TT chain.

Yes, but I spend 1-3 hours a day for weeks developing feel with a setup, so when it changes, I don't like it.

In this situation it was not an issue luckily. I find myself going for loops earlier in the points and looking to attack quicker, which I believe is a good thing.

Weight - 186 grams
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 7:39pm

Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

I've seen 2100+ kids with relatively bad footwork but excellent strokes so I am not convinced per se.  My footwork sucks as well.  My hierarchy is strokes, foot positioning then footwork.  And at almost any time, if you are willing to put in the work to develop new leg muscles, you can always work on your footwork.  Since foot positioning is an aspect of strokes, technical footwork IMO is about optimal ways of getting into position.  That said, subpotimal ways work better than many people think they do - that's what I have noticed from watching players with good strokes but bad footwork play.

On the other hand, I am speaking in the context of inverted.  Short pips etc. have different timing demands.  Inverted allows you to play at your own timing more than any other surface.

My thinking is that footwork is foundational to developing and deploying good strokes and being in a good position to play the next ball.  But I'm not an expert and I'm speaking from my personal experience and observation of players who are below 2200 or so.  Further, my recent experience is with using hardbat exclusively, and perhaps that requires greater attention to footwork due to the speed/spin disadvantage of hardbat.  

If a 2100+ level kid has poor footwork, then my bet is that his progress will hitch or slow down at some point until they fix it due to poor foundation.  But maybe I'm over-emphasizing it.  Who knows?  I'm not an expert. I'll leave it to more expert players like Mr. Wiggins to perhaps wade in with greater authority.

I agree that players can reach levels that are fairly lofty by typical club standards and still have pretty rotten footwork.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 7:40pm

Yes, but I spend 1-3 hours a day for weeks developing feel with a setup, so when it changes, I don't like it.

In this situation it was not an issue luckily. I find myself going for loops earlier in the points and looking to attack quicker, which I believe is a good thing.

If you are spending that much time and your rating is still 1000, maybe you need to re-evaluate what you are doing or review how many hours you have put in and whether your output is worth it.

Cybershape Carbon
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 8:33pm
I think the problem with all these footwork debates is that everyone seems to have a different definition of what footwork even is.

If someone does not bend his knees enough when moving between shots, is this classified as a footwork problem or a basic, body possitioning problem?

If a player plays his forehand with his right foot in front of his left foot and the coach considers this a problem (more debateable nowadays), is this a footwork problem or a foot positioning problem?

Many coaches advocate taking many small hops in between strokes. If a player doesn't do this, is this a problem related to footwork?

I guess your opion on the importance of footwork is heavily determined by just how all encompassing you consider the term "footwork" actually is. When people say "oh, my footwork is terrible!", I find that to be pretty vague and not particularly useful.

Edited by Ringer84 - 09/16/2015 at 8:36pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 12:58am

Ooo! I just love this statement.  One small inaccuracy: replace 1600 with 2100, excluding highly coached and improving children.  Otherwise, good description.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 1:05am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Ooo! I just love this statement.  One small inaccuracy: replace 1600 with 2100, excluding highly coached and improving children.  Otherwise, good description.

It's all relative to your goals.  I actually consider 1600 to be a good player with potential to beat anyone who has a very bad day and most trained 1600 players can loop.  Especially true for adult learners and casual kids.  Others may have different bench marks and stability measures and that is fine too.  I can see the logic of 2100 as well, though I consider the bar to be a good player to be much lower.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

I think the problem with all these footwork debates is that everyone seems to have a different definition of what footwork even is.

If someone does not bend his knees enough when moving between shots, is this classified as a footwork problem or a basic, body possitioning problem?

If a player plays his forehand with his right foot in front of his left foot and the coach considers this a problem (more debateable nowadays), is this a footwork problem or a foot positioning problem?

Many coaches advocate taking many small hops in between strokes. If a player doesn't do this, is this a problem related to footwork?

I guess your opion on the importance of footwork is heavily determined by just how all encompassing you consider the term "footwork" actually is. When people say "oh, my footwork is terrible!", I find that to be pretty vague and not particularly useful.

No, that's not the main problem even if it is a factor.  The problem has more substance than that and comes up in the context of what a learner with limited resources should invest his resources working on.

To answer your questions:

1.  Not bending knees is a problem of form, and is not a footwork problem per se, though it can exacerbate or mitigate footwork or stroke issues in many specific contexts.

2. Since the optimal position for a forehand loop for a right handed player is left foot in front of right, the answer to the question depends on how the foot positioning arose.  If it is the natural preference of the student, it is a form problem.  IF it is the outcome of a series of movements that make it inevitable and expedient, it is not a footwork problem.  If it is a choice/bad habit after a series of movements that should leave one correctly in the natural left foot in front of right position, then it is a footwork problem and needs to be addressed.

3. Yes, that's a footwork problem.  You need those steps to enhance alert responses to unexpected shots.  That said, I don't remember consistently bouncing or taking small hops between strokes.  That's the kind of point I am trying to make about footwork.
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 1:51am

If you are spending that much time and your rating is still 1000, maybe you need to re-evaluate what you are doing or review how many hours you have put in and whether your output is worth it.

Who says my rating is still 1000? I posted something like that weeks ago. I dont know what my rating is but the only guys that beat me right now are 1600-1900. The 1600 matches are pretty close. Im not sure what that makes me but i have had a lot of improvement since ive returned to the game. Anyway the snarky stuff is not needed and i dont even know what point you are trying to prove with it.

Weight - 186 grams
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 9:37am

No, that's not the main problem even if it is a factor.  The problem has more substance than that and comes up in the context of what a learner with limited resources should invest his resources working on.

1.  Not bending knees is a problem of form, and is not a footwork problem per se, though it can exacerbate or mitigate footwork or stroke issues in many specific contexts.

2. Since the optimal position for a forehand loop for a right handed player is left foot in front of right, the answer to the question depends on how the foot positioning arose.  If it is the natural preference of the student, it is a form problem.  IF it is the outcome of a series of movements that make it inevitable and expedient, it is not a footwork problem.  If it is a choice/bad habit after a series of movements that should leave one correctly in the natural left foot in front of right position, then it is a footwork problem and needs to be addressed.

3. Yes, that's a footwork problem.  You need those steps to enhance alert responses to unexpected shots.  That said, I don't remember consistently bouncing or taking small hops between strokes.  That's the kind of point I am trying to make about footwork.

I agree with all of this, especially the bolded part.  I should have said A PROBLEM rather than THE problem in my original post. 

Although I personally agree with your opinion on the 3 examples and which fall under the label of footwork, I have talked to other coaches who would not.   In scenario #3 for example, I had one coach tell me that he felt this was an example of poor RECOVERY between shots, and not an example of footwork itself.

Edited by Ringer84 - 09/17/2015 at 9:48am
Timo Boll Spirit
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 9:51am

Who says my rating is still 1000? I posted something like that weeks ago. I dont know what my rating is but the only guys that beat me right now are 1600-1900. The 1600 matches are pretty close. Im not sure what that makes me but i have had a lot of improvement since ive returned to the game. Anyway the snarky stuff is not needed and i dont even know what point you are trying to prove with it.

That's good to hear - the snarky stuff is definitely not needed but comes up when someone posts repeatedly about the impact of equipment changes.  Since you posted the 1000 rating a few weeks ago and wrote about a 1000 player with heavy spin loops, I am happy that it has significantly improved.  

You are going to improve a lot if you play 1-3 hours a day and work on your technique, no matter what you use.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

I agree with all of this, especially the bolded part.  I should have said A PROBLEM rather than THE problem in my original post. 

Although I personally agree with your opinion on the 3 examples and which fall under the label of footwork, I have talked to other coaches who would not.   In scenario #3 for example, I had one coach tell me that he felt this was an example of poor RECOVERY between shots, and not an example of footwork itself.
High rated coaches (and I am not one) do disagree about these things.

Just to expound on our agreement.

My own agenda/peeve/position is that because footwork is required to develop extremely high level players and that habits are very important in general, it needs to be built into such players as early as possible.  Also, many good players come up in systems where footwork is emphasized so they pass on that emphasis to many of their junior learners.  They also sometimes cannot look at a player outside of the prism of their footwork training.  

But does this mean that footwork is what is making the player highly effective?  Does this make the contribution of footwork to the player's effectiveness much higher than the anticipation/touch/feeling/stroke quality developed over years of drilling?

There isn't a systematic answer, but I think that there are good reasons to ask the questions, especially when better players often tend to beat lower rated players while hardly moving.
Cybershape Carbon
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 10:56am
I have only very recently learned  to run a Faulkenberg drill with a blocker, after many years of failing.  Interestingly enough, none of my recent improvements on the drill have had anything to do with what I consider footwork.  
Timo Boll Spirit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 11:02am

That's good to hear - the snarky stuff is definitely not needed but comes up when someone posts repeatedly about the impact of equipment changes.  Since you posted the 1000 rating a few weeks ago and wrote about a 1000 player with heavy spin loops, I am happy that it has significantly improved.  

You are going to improve a lot if you play 1-3 hours a day and work on your technique, no matter what you use.

I started playing TT when I was kid. Never knew about level, gear, anything. There was o internet or youtube or anything really. I took time off and came back 5 years ago. the club I was in moved far from me for a while. I barely played. 

So essentially my knowledge of levels was not correct, but I wasn't starting off as a complete noob. The guy I said was a 1000 is actually a 1600. I was just being conservative since I didn't know and didn't want to inflate things.

Im a better player than my posts infer. I just don't want to come off as an exaggerator on the internet especially when learning about gear and things of that nature.

Weight - 186 grams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 11:10am
On footwork, coming from an athletic background I believe it is always important.

For example ,wide stance bent knees for me results in much more accurate ball striking. Right foot behind the ball on FH and ball centered on me for bh. Stepping under the table for push shots. It makes a huge difference for me. Especially when I play further back from the table and need to stretch wide. If I take that extra moment to be properly setup, I always hit with more confidence because  I know the ball is going where I want it.

Weight - 186 grams
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 11:38am

I started playing TT when I was kid. Never knew about level, gear, anything. There was o internet or youtube or anything really. I took time off and came back 5 years ago. the club I was in moved far from me for a while. I barely played. 

So essentially my knowledge of levels was not correct, but I wasn't starting off as a complete noob. The guy I said was a 1000 is actually a 1600. I was just being conservative since I didn't know and didn't want to inflate things.

Im a better player than my posts infer. I just don't want to come off as an exaggerator on the internet especially when learning about gear and things of that nature.

That makes sense.  It also explains my disbelief since you were being much too conservative.  So you simply exaggerated in the wrong direction.   You must know that there is very significant skill and competitive difference between a 1000 player and a 1600 player - one is clearly an experienced beginner who is trying to break into intermediate status while the other is clearly a serious intermediate player.  Many of the good older serious adult players on this site are 1600 players, some trying to improve, some content with their playing level.  Most 1000 level players can easily improve if they decide to take the sport seriously from a technical perspective, while this is not as true for 1600s.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/17/2015 at 11:39am
Cybershape Carbon
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 12:18pm
It's not unusual for people to keep a static rating between 1000 and 1500 for a while as they improve.  They're adding shots and they have to sort all that out.  It doesn't mean you're not getting better.

One thing I want to throw out that I see a lot.  When working on your push and looping the long push, don't push as hard as you can and then try to loop.  Try to push heavy and then a little flatter...that's the one you want to attack.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 12:51pm
Good point. My weakness is push and return of serve. I am working on these things. That is where the points begin so if I can't start points off properly I already put myself in a bad position. It's no coincidence that when I win matches its because I returned and pushed well to setup my loops.

My serve has become much more effective and I have learned how to setup loops off of it. I do sometimes still miss short returned forehands because of backspin. Its a habit because I served topspin so much that I expect the ball to be attackable. I do slide in topspin now and it is incredibly effective. Now my opponent sees 3-5 spins per match as opposed to 1 when I started and was just serving topspin to lower level guys.

This game is all about instant reaction and instinct so it always fascinates me how I can tell myself - "don't attack a short backspin return"and still do it and net the ball. lol.

Not sure what a low level rating is - 1000? Anyway, I never lose to those players to the point now where they do not play me anymore. In the past I would drop matches now and then to lower level guys but I see the game a little better now and don't really struggle unless the player is more advanced.

Edited by heavyforehand - 09/17/2015 at 12:53pm

Weight - 186 grams
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 1:15pm

Not sure what a low level rating is - 1000? Anyway, I never lose to those players to the point now where they do not play me anymore. In the past I would drop matches now and then to lower level guys but I see the game a little better now and don't really struggle unless the player is more advanced.

Ratings are hard to judge by visual inspection and I would not say a 1000 rating is low level - it's just that most players at that level or below have untrained technique or are just developing aspects of it so you can't tell what matchups they will struggle with - there is so much they can get better at that they struggle against many things usually all decent forms of pace and spin. Some of them may do one or two things decently with respect to pace or getting service spin, but nothing specially good.

If you don't know someone's rating, it's better to just say you aren't sure, though estimates based on scores against a bunch of other players are fine.  Just yesterday, someone saw me playing a match on video and estimated me at a 150-200 pts below my usual level.  But 150-200 pts at my level is significant.  As you get better, smaller rating differences are more meaningful as ratings become more reliable.
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 1:47pm
Makes sense. Only reason I know the guys rankings I listed is because I asked them. 

Any advice on the 1 inch split in my blade that I described? Just curious if thats going to be an issue.

If I end up needing to get a new blade in a few months I may go up a click to something like  the Stiga Offensive Classic or something very similar. I really love that bat. It is faster, thin and lighter than mine somehow even though it has max rubber. But for now the Appelgren is serving me well. I just hope it's not too damaged.

Edited by heavyforehand - 09/17/2015 at 1:47pm

Weight - 186 grams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic