Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProfessional e-Coaching/Analysis of MyTT'ers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Coach K View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Professional e-Coaching/Analysis of MyTT'ers
    Posted: 09/14/2015 at 7:39pm
Greetings, members of MyTableTennis.net. My name is Coach K and I've come here today to bestow my knowledge of our beloved sport with the esteemed members of the forum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In recent months, I've been perusing this hotbed of table tennis knowledge and have now decided to create an account in which I can infuse my wisdom to the dedicated players, coaches, fans and analysts here. As a limited time offer and to show my legitimacy, I will be doing free analyses for the first few volunteers who share match or training video with me. Please feel free to contact me through this thread, in private message, or via my soon-to-be-established website.

As a preliminary test run of sorts, I have analyzed and documented my findings on some of the more established forum members, whom I surmise to be excited to read my recommendations.

I will be establishing my website and other forms of social media in the coming weeks, but this is not for me to advertise my brand. This is for you all, the players. I look forward to hearing from you.

Coach K (full name withheld for potential sponsorship dealings to come)

NextLevel

The man, the myth, the resident mastermind. What else can be said? NextLevel is one of my FAVORITE posters on this site, and I consider myself to be somewhat of his understudy. A great deal of my knowledge to this date has been derived from his postings so it is an honor for me to now reciprocate the exchange of ideas. To keep it brief (free-of-charge analysis must be truncated), NextLevel thrives in his recognition of Dewitt's pattern of backhand opening into an attempted exploitation of the wide forehand. Despite some apparently mobility issues, NL covers the wide forehand well, and makes Dewitt pay. However, I must suggest that NL increase the aggressiveness on his backhand returns and vary his returns in both placement and spin, allowing him to take the driver's seat on offense. 

pushblocker

Love him or hate him, pushblocker may be one of the most controversial players in USATT history. One thing is for sure. His 2300 ratings are real, and his spin reversal is real. While PB thrives on spin reversal, his offensive game is evidently weaker, and thus he can be exploited by more passive opponents. Furthermore, I see a tendency to prefer the backhand return, and quick powershots to his forehand often find him chasing the ball to the barrier. A more neutral stance to accommodate quicker reactions on the forehand is recommended. For deeper analysis of what I'd suggest to compensate here, I can't yet offer.

Shay2Be

Don't let the 2 in his name fool you. Shay2be has rapidly risen the ranks and won't be settling for "2nd" place any time soon. MyTT born and bred, this vicious forehand looping Pennsylvanian will make you pay if you bring the weaksauce to his forehand. To this end however, I've found his wind-up to be too large and stiff, allowing him to be punished in the re-looping game. In a word, the backhand seems a bit stiff as well. I would suggest a slower rate of uptake on the looping motion, as it is a bit forced and not smooth. A big mentor of mine suggests a 70% speed to 30% spin focus in addressing the backhand loop off underspin, and I would echo these sentiments.

schen

When I saw Schen's heavy chops and powerful forehand rips, I nearly fell out of my seat and I was laying on my bed! In a word, I love his forehand stroke but think it would be optimized with a more direct stroke, as he tends to end up to the side and actually decelerates at the point of contact.

***SChen approved advice***

Once again, please feel free to share your thoughts with me here, and I will make myself available to anybody seeking advice. I plan to establish myself as a premier internet coach and believe this will be a mutually beneficial venture for all parties involved.

Keep calm, forum on, and pong hard my friends. I'll be open to any questions.

Edited by Coach K - 09/15/2015 at 1:01am
Sponsored Links

heavyforehand View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2015 at 8:39pm
Cool stuff, has push blocker lost some weight? I saw him play in person at a club years back and he was very impressive.  A complete wall basically.
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (86 grams)

FH : Joola Rhyzm Max

BH : Joola Rhyzm Max

Weight - 186 grams
Coach K View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2015 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by heavyforehand heavyforehand wrote:

Cool stuff, has push blocker lost some weight? I saw him play in person at a club years back and he was very impressive.  A complete wall basically.

I believe I read in a recent thread that he is very dedicated in weight loss efforts, but I do not want to comment on behalf of the man himself.

On a side note, I was PM'd by forum user Matt Pimple, who shared his detailed review of a Dr. Neubauer long pimples rubber. I would highly suggest reading this; long pip play is an aspect of the game that is very crucial but often overlooked. Many of us here are familiar with the playing characteristics of Tenergy and the latest alternatives, but would we know what to do if our opponent stepped up to the table wielding a sheet of Buffalo? Probably not, but if you read this thread, that could be a big game-changer. I particularly like the videos at the end of the post which feature a high level player and how he responds to and adjusts for the spin reversal in drill and matchplay.

Thread here: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72731&title=dr-neubauer-buffalo-test-report-with-videos

-Coach K approved.

Edited by Coach K - 09/14/2015 at 11:33pm
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 12:20am
Thanks for the feedback!  I can definitely agree with your points, and I am still trying to get comfortable with my shakehand form.  Hopefully it will match my penhold forehand sometime soon :)
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Coach K View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 12:22am
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!  I can definitely agree with your points, and I am still trying to get comfortable with my shakehand form.  Hopefully it will match my penhold forehand sometime soon :)

No problem! I'm sure the transition takes quite a while as your hand feeling and ball sense adjusts, but you'll be ripping those forehand putaways PH style in no time! Please do share any and all details of your adventure into shakehand as it progresses.

-Coach K
Chicobo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 10:50am
Hi Coach K,

I recently made a thread asking for advice with a practice video my friend made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vsJY3fUHMM. I noticed that the other matches ITT have been full matches. I recently got a video camera and will try to record a few matches at a local rec center tourney I'm playing in later this week. 

If I could get your analysis on my play, that would be great. I should have the link up within a week-ish.

[Placeholder for tourney full match]

Thanks
Stiga Genesis x2 on Nexy Rubicon
Galaxy Moon/Air Illumina Alpha on Andro Temper Tech Off-
USATT 1620...Learning to play vs long pips
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 1:12pm
You seem pretty serious about this, maybe you should list some qualifications so people will have a reason to buy into your thoughts? You'd think that would be the first step....
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 1:18pm
Maybe it is just me, but  my gut feeling is that "Coach K" is yet another "minja" incarnation. Just read the first post.
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Maybe it is just me, but  my gut feeling is that "Coach K" is yet another "minja" incarnation. Just read the first post.

Doubt it, minja was far too concerned with subtle humblebrags to be concerned about helping anyone else on the forum.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

You seem pretty serious about this, maybe you should list some qualifications so people will have a reason to buy into your thoughts? You'd think that would be the first step....
===========================
+100

Qualifications and accomplishments (tournaments won), if great, should get him lots of students.

Edited by skip3119 - 09/15/2015 at 1:36pm
skip3119
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Doubt it, minja was far too concerned with subtle humblebrags to be concerned about helping anyone else on the forum.

Wasnt minja banned for a certain amount of time. I would think the mods would block all his IPs too. I was PM by Coach K to critique one of my old videos. He seems alright if he asks someones permission first before they give advice.
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 2:31pm
nevermind, mods please delete

Edited by idk - 09/15/2015 at 2:34pm
Coach K View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Chicobo Chicobo wrote:

Hi Coach K,

I recently made a thread asking for advice with a practice video my friend made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vsJY3fUHMM. I noticed that the other matches ITT have been full matches. I recently got a video camera and will try to record a few matches at a local rec center tourney I'm playing in later this week. 

If I could get your analysis on my play, that would be great. I should have the link up within a week-ish.

[Placeholder for tourney full match]

Thanks

Hey Chicobo! Thanks for consulting me.

Lost in translation must've been which player you are in the video! No worries, I will go ahead and share my thoughts with the games of both players, and I won't charge you double for this session, haha! From here on out I will refer to the players as Blue and White (shirt colors) as this is the only information to go off.

Blue:

I really like what I see in his rallying abilities, especially as far as the initial drills go. He has a relatively strong understanding of spin, spin reactivity, and the appropriate touch for his shots. The continuity of the rally at 00:40 seconds in despite some wacky spins shows a higher level of understanding. Mid-distance looping is clearly his strength, and his favorite part of the game, given his tendency to revert to this position/shot-selection throughout drills and point-play. Unfortunately, I am afraid that I see much breaking down once the serve-and-follow begins. One thing that troubles me is his racket positioning when receiving the 3rd ball, I would like to see a more neutral position so that he can quickly adjust to either a backhand or forehand, depending on the point that is unfolding. Perhaps he knew that you would be pushing back his serve, and he cheated towards such a response? I do not know.

I would like to estimate Blue firmly at 1800, but I would say that depending on his opponents and how adaptable his one-sided spin looping game is, he could pressure a player +150 points on him (1950) but I could also see him struggling to cleanly beat a player up to -150 points below him (1650). These are approximate ranges of course but this is what stood out to me. As mentioned earlier, he has a good sense of spin and how to compensate, so I would like to see a fuller stroke on his backhand openings against underspin, I will encourage more confidence, as his mild approach will actually result in him dumping the ball into the net more than he should be.

White:

This here is a promising player. I see someone who perhaps lacks competitive tournament and serious match experience but is comfortable in drills.  He is loose, relaxed, and maintains solid form throughout drills and even into the game. It is best to reserve judgment if and until I see further match video, but my guess is that under my tutelage and with continued practice, we will see someone rising the ranks rather quickly. I do not want to correct anything with the forehand stroke because I see no causes for concern, and I see someone who has a knack for looping and countering. Oftentimes, heavily trained players do not have the composure and smoothness of white so I really like what I see.

One thing I will comment on is the tendency to reach for balls. Remember: footwork comes before the shot. Without a doubt, if white would position himself better for some balls, he would make a more comfortable, reliable, and formidable shot. The sequence from 00:20-00:30 illustrates this well. Same goes for the backhand. In both cases, I see no need for correction of strokes, rather, it is time to take these to the next level with some series of drills I can recommend to translate these solid fundamentals into success in  matchplay.

Coach K View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

===========================
+100

Qualifications and accomplishments (tournaments won), if great, should get him lots of students.

I honestly appreciate the support and interest I've reached in this thread and in my Private Messages. As Skip suggested, let me share more information about myself.

As many table tennis players were, I was born in China. In my youth, I ascended the ranks in the Liaoning province and could have been invited to join the provincial junior team, but at this juncture, my family and I decided I should pursue formal education rather than table tennis. Soon after, I attended grammar school in Canberra Australia and college in Norway, where I majored in English. In Norway, I had the opportunity to partake in trainings at the Norwegian Elite Sports College. I met the local legend Geir Erlandsen and trained with him for a number of sessions but he was still focused on his pro career at this time. I fully believe that the 5 or so matches we played was a greater source of knowledge for me than any 5000 other matches I had played in my life. I won several intercollegiate and regional Norwegian cups to tack on to my previous successes in China as a Liaoning top young player, and 3-time Dalian city cup secondary school champion and vice-champion for singles and doubles, and 2-time Dalian city Kong Jia Xian Open. After leaving Norway with the completion of my studies, I did some world travels to explore my horizons with my newly learned English which I am rather proud of. I traveled to Canada, New Zealand and Switzerland most notably. In my 3 months in Switzerland I won several city and regional tournaments and trained with a player who a few years later went to the USA and attained a 2550 or so rating. 

The important thing here is that I do not wish to brag about my achievements as player, I am focused as a coach and sharing knowledge now. In fact, I have much to learn as a coach because my successes as a player required little critical thinking of my own, a fault I must admit. I plan to travel to some of the premier table tennis clubs around the world and observe/study/analyze the games of high level players and coaches. I have been given no formal invites by clubs but I am open to any clubs that are willing, if not, I will just observe and share my findings here. As the famous quote goes, an education is expensive, being educated is free.
Coach K View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 8:07pm
I was recommended in private by Sir patrickhrdlicka that I should provide a more in depth analysis that can be of strategic value for the initial 4 (NextLevel, pushblocker, shay2be, schen). I will post such an analysis soon here but would like to hear the feedback of these 4. Thanks. Coach K.

@NextLevel @pushblocker @shay2be @schen
Coach K View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 10:51pm
Ok I'm honestly a bit ANGRY at the apathetic response from those who I have helped, to not even do me the decency of a RESPONSE? Do you people on this forum want to learn or what?????????????

-Coach K
IlliaV View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Coach K Coach K wrote:

Ok I'm honestly a bit ANGRY at the apathetic response from those who I have helped, to not even do me the decency of a RESPONSE? Do you people on this forum want to learn or what?????????????

-Coach K

i doubt they've all seen the thread yet. pretty sure nl and pushblocker would love to comment on your coaching if they see it.
Coach K View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by IlliaV IlliaV wrote:

-Coach K

i doubt they've all seen the thread yet. pretty sure nl and pushblocker would love to comment on your coaching if they see it.

Thanks for the advice. I regret showing my impatience, this is not behavior of a good coach. I look forward to their responses and thoughts.

-Coach K
simon_xuan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 11:25pm
Great tips Coach K. Great to have you on the forum. Thanks.
RPB Rocks!

BTY Innerforce ZLC Cpen | DHS H3N Blue Sponge | Victas V>15 Extra

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36695
IlliaV View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2015 at 11:54pm

Thanks for the advice. I regret showing my impatience, this is not behavior of a good coach. I look forward to their responses and thoughts.

-Coach K

it's understandable. you showed a lot of effort and kindness in your diagnosis. 

I too am frequently checking this thread to see what those members think about your tips.
Coach K View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 12:30am
Originally posted by IlliaV IlliaV wrote:

-Coach K

it's understandable. you showed a lot of effort and kindness in your diagnosis. 

I too am frequently checking this thread to see what those members think about your tips.

Thank you Illia. If you have anything to add please do so, I'd love for this to become an open forum of thought sharing. I will soon be releasing my more advanced series on NL, PB, S2B, and SC. These will feature advanced analysis of their strengths and weaknesses, how they should approach games to win, and what opponents can do to approach them to achieve victory.

Coach K
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 12:55am
I am sure you know the following words: solicitation and tampering.

Just so you know, you're using other people's videos presumably without their express consent for potential personal gain.  Your tone and approach is even bolder than the one employed by another member whose avatar starts with an h and ends with an n a year or two ago.  His/her passion was not well-received.  Good luck.

Quote Tampering can be more insidious. One simple example:  The coach or one of his or her parents approaches a skater and suggests their technique or program is flawed and will hurt their performance on tests or in competition. They act baffled as to why  the skater's coach hasn't fixed it, or suggest the coach isn't capable of fixing it. They may initially offer "free advice" on what the skater should do, then suggest lessons to help the skater resolve their "issues."
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 1:20am
Just for the record: here is my response to coach K (from a PM conversation - only my responses are shown):
_________
Hi Coach K - 

I did notice your post and actually think that e-coaching is an interesting concept. 

Here are my suggestions why you are not having success yet: 1) people want to know who you are and what credentials you have. Are you 'entitled' to have an opinion (coach for X years; what is your level; use your real identity) or are you an opinionated blogger who would like to make quick money by providing some general input? 2) Rather than giving superficial analyses of ~5 forum members, I would provide an in-depth analysis of your e-coaching skills about a forum volunteer, who agrees to you posting the video+analysis. If people become convinced that you are a capacity, you might get some customers. 3) Many forum members probably have access to coaches already and don't see any benefit. 4) They like table tennis but are not really interested in paying for a coach. 5) you have not given it enough time.

I hope this helps - 
Patrick
_________
I followed this up by:

I can appreciate that you want to establish yourself based on who you are as a coach rather than a player (however, 'regular' coaches inherently are recognized either on the achievements as players or a track record of coaching success - Samson Dubina, just to take an US example, would probably be able to run e-coaching without a problem due to name recognition). 

I am not sure if the players appreciated having their weaknesses analyzed and exposed on an international forum (however, you kept your discussion very [too] general to be of any strategic value). I think a better approach would be do an in-depth analysis of an volunteer...  
______
-P

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 09/16/2015 at 1:44am
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Coach K View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 1:36am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

I am sure you know the following words: solicitation and tampering.

Just so you know, you're using other people's videos presumably without their express consent for potential personal gain.  Your tone and approach is even bolder than the one employed by another member whose avatar starts with an h and ends with an n a year or two ago.  His/her passion was not well-received.  Good luck.

Quote Tampering can be more insidious. One simple example:  The coach or one of his or her parents approaches a skater and suggests their technique or program is flawed and will hurt their performance on tests or in competition. They act baffled as to why  the skater's coach hasn't fixed it, or suggest the coach isn't capable of fixing it. They may initially offer "free advice" on what the skater should do, then suggest lessons to help the skater resolve their "issues."

I am honestly shocked that you would imply I am here for such insidious reasons. YouTube videos are public domain, and I am free to post and discuss videos that have been uploaded by the users themselves and freely distributed amongst this forum. If they have an issue with it, they can tell me individually or remove/hide the videos, none of which has happened. Furthermore, I am not looking to steal students, I am supplementing or being the single source of information for those who want it. Either this is the biggest overreaction of all time, or you are trying to incite drama, and I would guess you are affiliated with another e-coaching service.
Vlad0 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 2:15am
Coach K, it doesn't work that way! The main job of a coach is to be a sparring partner, watching all the time what the "student" do and correct him. Also you probably know that after some level a player knows exactly what have to do and what are his errors, so obviously doesn't need advice but good practice. I'm shocked a little. 
TB ALC 86gr + D09c/T05
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 3:21am
A prime chance for me to become one of those posters who quote an entire conversation below, but I will refrain from that.

The four videos referenced above are licensed under the Standard YouTube License, which explicitly states under "6. Your Content and Conduct" that "C. For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content."

In case you need more citations:

Quote 2. Anything I find on the Internet is in the public domain.

Since we’ve been awash in Internet-related copyright litigation for some time now (remember Napster? heard about those RIAA file-sharing lawsuits?) I’m surprised people still believe this. But they do.

Yes, there are public domain works on the Internet (this site helps you find them), but the reason those works are in the public domain has nothing to do with the fact that they’re on the Internet. They are in the public domain because they’re not protected by copyright — not because copying them is as easy as right clicking your mouse.

The fact that something is posted on the Internet does not give you or me the right to copy and distribute it freely. Unless a work’s creator expressly gives up his or her rights, those right are reserved. If you use a copyrighted work without permission and your use doesn’t qualify as a fair use, that’s copyright infringement.

6. Posting a video to YouTube puts it in the public domain.

No, it doesn’t. People seem to think that because the public can access videos on YouTube, for free, the vids are in the public domain. (I suppose this follows from the “everything on the Internet is public domain” misconception.) They’re in a public space, true, and people don’t have to pay to see them, but that doesn’t affect copyright.

You do in fact retain copyright in your video when you post it to YouTube (that would be your video, not your Stephen Colbert clip). But by posting it you grant YouTube a license to do pretty much whatever it wants with your work. That includes sublicensing it to others and modifying it (making derivative works). The license terminates within “a commercially reasonable time” once you remove your work from the YouTube site. And you still own the copyright.

You may claim fair use but that is not for you or me to decide.  However, your approach raises a flag in my personal "code of ethics" and I am sure there are others out there who share similar sentiments.  The utter lack of response from one who "you have helped" is a strong, silent statement.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Coach K View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 7:47am
Vlad0 - many of the best coaches in the world do not actually physically stand at the table and spar with their players. You clearly do not know much about advanced table tennis.

Zeio - maybe you are wrong maybe you are right. In that case, we should start making it against forum policy for anybody to post a video that is not theirs and commenting on it, right? I'd say the real reason that people have not thanked me yet is because they are struggling to accept that I could be the best alternative for their learning, and that they haven't ever realized the truth in what I am saying.
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 8:00am
great job coachk
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 8:23am

Vlad0 - many of the best coaches in the world do not actually physically stand at the table and spar with their players. You clearly do not know much about advanced table tennis.

Zeio - maybe you are wrong maybe you are right. In that case, we should start making it against forum policy for anybody to post a video that is not theirs and commenting on it, right? I'd say the real reason that people have not thanked me yet is because they are struggling to accept that I could be the best alternative for their learning, and that they haven't ever realized the truth in what I am saying.

OMG.  

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2015 at 8:27am

Ok I'm honestly a bit ANGRY at the apathetic response from those who I have helped, to not even do me the decency of a RESPONSE? Do you people on this forum want to learn or what?????????????

-Coach K
LOL LOL LOL  This is roll on the floor, laugh out loud funny! You joined the forum yesterday.  Today you're angry?  Woohoo!

Btw, clown is spelt with a C not a K.  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic