Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how to attack under the table high balls....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sh.muneebali View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sh.muneebali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to attack under the table high balls....
    Posted: 09/22/2015 at 11:27am
hello all,

I would like few tips on how to attack when, lets say someone does under-spin, side-under (left or right) from under the table that lands high on my side.

First, it's hard to read the spin (some players can disguise it very well by moving their wrist in one direction and then immediately faking the other direction)
Second, I've heard to counter these balls, just smother and kill, which does work if the ball is only Side-spin, but if it's got under-spin, straight into the net

A lot of times, these balls are high that can be attacked, when I watch videos of Pros, they completely demolish these balls because they're high and to them it doesn't matter what type of spin is on it, as long as its high.
They wait and launch powerful loop or flick at the top of the bounce. Ofcourse, they practice a lot a lot a lot. I want to know what the proper technique to counter and/or attack these types of deliveries.

Bonus Question :): A lot of people talk about racket head speed with forehand/backhand flips and FH/BH loops, my question is that what's the reason for the speed.
My assumption, the faster the swing on top of the ball, it will reverse whatever spin they got on and induce my own topspin

My apologies for the long post....but help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Bolterixus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2015 at 11:32am
Smashing can work sometimes. Yes, would you can also do when the ball starts to drop is to top spin the ball if you know it is a back spin. Other things which you can try are things like playing the ball short so you know it hits the table, but the best idea to hit high balls is to smash it. It also depends what type of bat you use
Blade: Primorac OFF-
FH: Bryce Speed FX
BH: Sriver
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2015 at 11:33am
It seems to me like you have a pretty good grasp on all this.  It just takes practice.  If it were easy to hit those balls, people wouldn't perform that under the table shot.

Even pro's do it, so I assume pro's must miss the returns from time to time.  
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Bolterixus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2015 at 11:33am
I agree with you cole
Blade: Primorac OFF-
FH: Bryce Speed FX
BH: Sriver
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2015 at 12:32pm
Pros also make mistakes attacking these balls. You just need to increase your spin reading skills :)
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Pros also make mistakes attacking these balls. You just need to increase your spin reading skills :)

+1WinkTongue
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2015 at 12:37pm
would you all agree that it's best to move forward and take the ball on the rise or at the top of the bounce?

if I let the ball drop my odds of hitting the ball into the net go up drastically.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2015 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

would you all agree that it's best to move forward and take the ball on the rise or at the top of the bounce?

if I let the ball drop my odds of hitting the ball into the net go up drastically.

Some players get loads of spin and taking it early is already risky.  So I guess it depends on the opponent.  If you wait and stay relaxed, you actually have a TON of time to react to the spin. You may not hit the strongest shot, but maybe you don't need to.

Something else to consider is reading the spin based on how the ball falls.  The ball will kick in the opposite direction of the bias of its fall.  In other words, if you see the ball falling a bit to the left of vertical, it will kick right.

And finally, don't crowd the ball.  Give it room. That way if you misread and it jumps in toward you, you won't be completely jammed up.  It is generally pretty easy to take an extra step in to hit a high ball or deal with a ball that kicks away from you.  Just stay relaxed and don't get all keyed up.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2015 at 1:16pm
Using a more open paddle tends to reduce my errors on this. I rarely hit winners off of it but I tend to keep an advantage in the point.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
FHBHwings View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FHBHwings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2015 at 1:20pm
for the raquet headspeed it allows you to generate your own spin and also it basically ignores some of theirs.
sh.muneebali View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sh.muneebali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2015 at 3:10pm
I guess, it'll have to be something like this to be on the safest side.
Watch closely how the ball is being spin (mostly, it will be either side, under, or side-under)

Scnerio 1, On the FH side:
Then, hit the ball flat because there shouldn't be any spin on that region, then lift and close the paddle quickly with the wrist which is your forehand flick.
Or
Mimic the spin for variety

Scnerio 2, On the BH side:
BH side-top flip as fast as possible on top of the bounce to negate the spin
Or
Mimic the spin for variety

If shot is low and short, then, to be on the safe side, just 'dab' it over

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic