FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Just how professional is table tennis?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just how professional is table tennis?
    Posted: 10/02/2015 at 8:45am
Here is  the 2015 Asia Cup semi-final between Liu Shiwen and Zhu Yuling.

Watch from 04:30 to 06:30, then ask yourself, "Would this happen in tennis or football or cricket or ... ?"

Sponsored Links

Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Here is  the 2015 Asia Cup semi-final between Liu Shiwen and Zhu Yuling.

Watch from 04:30 to 06:30, then ask yourself, "Would this happen in tennis or football or cricket or ... ?"

I do hope that it would. It is a rule that you have to wear a number on your back and to me it´s professional to follow the rules. It´s like you are not allowed to wear anything but white in Wimbledon. If I remember correctly, it was last years Wimbledon when there was a debate if one lady should be disqualified becouce her bra brace was not white. So I think we are doing ok;).

What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 11:38am
Why would we still in 2015 require a pinned on number on the back when these women have their names on their shirts and we all pretty much know who they are?
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 11:46am
Wait... this is about number tags?...

I thought it was about the camera showing LSW's butt... LOLEmbarrassed

But yea... tags are uncomfortable, old and useless rule.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Why would we still in 2015 require a pinned on number on the back when these women have their names on their shirts and we all pretty much know who they are?

We know them but the umpires don't Wink

Actually, many events don't require numbers any more: World Tour, US Open, North American championships... (as long as the name is on the shirt). Not sure why some do.
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 11:58am
No story here. This is very common in sports.

At the last Olympics, track and field athletes were required to have both a number pinned to their back and their named pinned to their front. You don't see races being held up for affixing numbers because the athletes know they might get disqualified for not showing up ready to race.

At Wimbledon, players have been sent back to the dressing room to change because of dress code violations.
http://descrier.co.uk/sport/wimbledon-women-forced-play-bra-less-dress-code-violations/

The NFL told Marshawn Lynch he would be ejected from the game if he wore gold cleats.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 12:03pm
It's the rule, but you think these umpires or organizers would correct clothing infractions before the warm ups and let the players play.

I remember someone mentioning before the Olympics - the organizers would check every bag, towel (anything visible) to make sure no logo's that are not sponsor logos are visible on the athletes. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2015 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Wait... this is about number tags?...

I thought it was about the camera showing LSW's butt... LOLEmbarrassed

But yea... tags are uncomfortable, old and useless rule.

Perhaps useful for large tournaments with lots of amateurs so you can better identify opponents, etc.  But for professional events, I don't see the need.  And in the later stages, I don't even see the need for names on shirts.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2015 at 12:58am
I agree with the OP. Sticking a piece of paper with safety pins or whatever to your back at the pro level I just find tacky. The name on the back should be enough. I've occasionally seen it flopping around and it really does look unprofessional.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2015 at 1:08am
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

At Wimbledon, players have been sent back to the dressing room to change because of dress code violations.
http://descrier.co.uk/sport/wimbledon-women-forced-play-bra-less-dress-code-violations/
All of this is true, but I just can't imagine anyone asking Novak Djokovic or Rafa Nadal or Roger Federer to stick a number on their shirt.  I wonder how Serena Williams would react to being sent to the sidelines for someone to stick pins through her dress.  Sharapova would probably scream the place down.  (Although she does that already, so no one might notice.)
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2015 at 1:34am
I don't like that for professionals. In regular amateur tournaments that would be ok. 
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2015 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Check out the latest related post .... at USA Hobby Table Tennis Coalition on timeline page of FaceBook ...
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic