Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New blade, need advice./ended up with Korbel.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New blade, need advice./ended up with Korbel.
    Posted: 10/07/2015 at 2:23pm
Brief history,

Played for roughly 10 years, 9 of them as a defender with anti on one side. Recently changed style, trying to play as a two winged looper. Used the Dawei Wavestone for a very long time, liked it a lot, but... Felt I needed a change and picked up my old LKT Ayous/Hinoki (? Think thats the name of it) and was pleased with some aspects, not so pleased with other aspects :/. Felt like it had a really low throw, had serious problems getting arcs on my loops. Could be the old T05, could be crappy technique, but those where the same with the Wavestone where I did get some arc on my loops. Also, the blade feels really dead on blocks, which Im not that pleased with.

What I want is a fairly stiff blade, soft to medium outer plies, pace all+ to off. Want it to feel lively on blocks.

Been looking at the Bty Petr Korbel, which sure looks like a nice blade, but also tempted by the spinlord ultra spin.
Will be paired with T05 on fh, not decided about bh rubber yet.

So, any suggestions or opinions about the blades mentioned?

Also, while Im at it, is th difference between red and black T05 big? Leaning towards black fh rubber, but only used re T05 before.

grateful for any help.

Edited by Speedplay - 10/22/2015 at 5:52pm
The holy grail
Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 2:47pm
Korbel is a good all around offensive blade. Only comes in Flared now. If handle design and weight not an issue I say go for it. Many players use it with T05.

Tibhar Stratus Powerwood is a good alternative blade to korbel but with a little more power as I've read from reviews.

Tibhar Stratus Samsonov CB, if you want to try a fairly stiff yet soft/medium carbon blade with little vibrations that is in off-/off category.

If you want more dwell and less speed I suggest a Primorac off- (although many consider it an ALL+ blade), can be a loop monster with T05.

Also, from what I've read black/red forehand mostly applies to Chinese tacky rubber, black having more tack. You don't have to worry about color of your rubber for Japanese rubbers or euro tensors. It won't affect your speed and spin.

Edited by DreiZ - 10/07/2015 at 2:51pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 2:58pm
Prefere flared handle, so thats not a problem for me. As for weight, Ive seen Korbel listed at both 75 and 85g and I know how inaccurate the listed weights can be, but would like it to be 80-85, certainly not looking for a light blade.

Will check out the Tibhar blades you mentioned.
The holy grail
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 4:31pm
80-85 is considered light-medium these days I think. Japan made korbel is somewhere between 85-95 last time I saw. Euro korbels might come lighter, not sure to be honest, but the jap made Korbel I had was over 90g. Might want to send an email to the vendor or whoever you are purchasing your next blade from to see which weights they have in stock. Good luck!
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Uskglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uskglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2015 at 4:55pm
I love the Korbel, one of my friends plays with one often and I loved the feel of it so much I bought a Yinhe Earth 3 (which is a pretty good Korbel clone) just to get a feel for that type of blade (my friend is a chopper so his rubber choice is much different than mine would be). I love it so much I've actually gone back to it from the TBS I bought to replace it, that soft feel and slight flex is just great.

So if you're looking to try out a 90% Korbel blade go buy a Yinhe E3 for $25 and see if you like it. 
Yinhe Earth.3 - DHS TG3 Neo/729 Aurora
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 6:33am
M. Maze ALC blade could work...

Black T05 is spinnier than Red...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 8:15am
If you want to try something a little different, you can order my blade from Taiwan. It's a 3+2 ALC blade which plays OFF-/OFF. I have come to love the blade and I use it over my Butterfly and Xiom ZLC/XZLC composites.

All the blades DreIZ recommended are pretty good. Not clear whether you are looking for all wood or a composite.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Vlad0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 1:29pm

Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

Black T05 is spinnier than Red...

Throw is higher also. Of course this mean that red is more secure to incoming spin.

You can't go wrong with Korbel - a blade you can play with a whole your career. 

Edited by Vlad0 - 10/08/2015 at 1:31pm
TB ALC 86gr + D09c/T05
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Vlad0 Vlad0 wrote:

You can't go wrong with Korbel - a blade you can play with a whole your career. 

Very true - one coach I played with in Hungary plays with Korbel and Tenergy 05 on both sides, the blade being the same since he was a teen.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 3:52am
Thanks folks,

Looks like Im going to give the Korbel a go, black T05 for fh but still undecided about th bh rubber. Will report back when its been bought and tested.
The holy grail
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 3:27pm
An older blade but if you can get to try a XIOM Strato.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 5:52pm
Got myself a Korbel blade, found one at 84 grams, which suits me perfect as Im not a fan of light blades.

Ive had a Brief test drive with it and so far it feels like a good blade for me. Not the dad feeling I got from the LKT Ayous Hinoki blade, but not as lively as the Wavestone I used a long time before. Felt like a very consistent blade and high quality. Hate to admit it, but Bty do make good stuff.

Hopefully my EJ:ing ends here. Thanks for the advice and recommendations.
The holy grail
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 6:03pm

Korbel is a great blade. I'm thinking of switching to it coming from my TBS. A tic more dwell for spin. There is always a trade off with any blade in this case nothing beats the balance of the TBS so we will see.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 6:36pm
how much did the korbel cost ? 
you could have easily went for the avalox p700 or bt777. The stiff route. the good route. with 47 deg rubbers = automatic blocks on table given you can control your wrist :D

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2015 at 11:15pm
Speedplay, when you pack your TT bag, make sure you put the Korbel in there, and NOT the Schildkrot 900... :D
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 2:39pm
Asifgunz, Ive tried the cheap route, loved the Wavestone blade, but being a lazy prick, I wanted to make sure that the blade was easily to get hold of and that quality was good so no need for replacements. The Korbel is easy to get hold of, quality feels great, so Im really happy with it. As for the price, I think its roughly 55-60 USD.

BH-Man, I wanted control for my TT game, not a weapon of mass destruction.
The holy grail
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2015 at 5:28pm
Speedplay,

Did you get a ST or FL? And is it made in Japan?
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2015 at 6:56am
Flared, and no idea where it is made, but from a trustworthy dealer, som Im assuming its an original with good quality.

Had another go with it today, still very pleased with it. A tad faster then the LKT Im coming from, but a really nice feel to it. Seems to suit my bh (paired witha Tibhar Quantum) better then my fh at the moment, but I expect to get the fh working soon as well.
The holy grail
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2015 at 5:47pm
C'Mon Speedplay, you coulda shown us a photoshopped image of the parcel packaging saying it was mailed from Area 51...

You still luvin' it down there in the SOUTH?
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2015 at 6:39am
Always lovin it here in the lovely south😉

Unfortunately, I dont get to play as much as I used to, but on the upside, we now have a real trainer so I feel like Im still making progress.
The holy grail
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic