Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help on Chinese Forehand Loop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slowd16z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowd16z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help on Chinese Forehand Loop
    Posted: 10/09/2015 at 2:50pm
Lately I've been trying to adjust my forehand loop technique to be more of a traditional Chinese style(straight arm and upwards motion) but I'm finding that all of my attacks are flying way past the end of the table. Is there a trick to keeping the ball on the table other than closing my racket angle more? When I close my racket angle, my arm swing seems a little too horizontal. I notice that if I brush more I can't get any power on my attacks. I'm currently using a Viscaria with Hurricane 3 NEO Commercial on my forehand.

Edited by slowd16z - 10/09/2015 at 2:56pm
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by slowd16z slowd16z wrote:

Lately I've been trying to adjust my forehand loop technique to be more of a traditional Chinese style(straight arm and upwards motion) but I'm finding that all of my attacks are flying way past the end of the table. Is there a trick to keeping the ball on the table other than closing my racket angle more? When I close my racket angle, my arm swing seems a little too horizontal. I notice that if I brush more I can't get any power on my attacks. I'm currently using a Viscaria with Hurricane 3 NEO Commercial on my forehand.

The more things change...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 3:30pm
chinese loop with open arm for max leverage, however there is no significant upward motion to talk about. If you go upward you will lose power. I have found out after 4 years of TT that you can drive the ball strongly forward and still make nasty topspin. 
Anyway, you don't make enough spin. You need spin, to curve the ball down. And yet the answer is not to start brushing the ball UP and lose all your power. Sounds confusing but you have to work on your contact with the ball until you learn to make spin without losing power. When I started looping i was brushing too much, like every noob, and was fascinated when my opponents touched the ball and it flew in the sky. But as I started playing better players I saw people smack through or drive straight through my 'loops'. It was embarassing. In best case for me they just control and punch block my loop right in the corner. Little by little I started appreciating power and speed and placement and care less for spin. I needed just enough spin to bend the ball around the net, that's it, i no longer used it to win points. And thats how I am now 4000 USATT rating.
No, just kidding. I am 1750 so take my post for whatever you like.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 3:34pm
Seriously, pick a specific player and model their stroke if you are not looking to find yours.  Rather than talking about this magic Chinese forehand, specify the specific player whose stroke you are trying (unwisely, IMO) to copy.  I know someone who has spent years perfecting his Ma Long loop only to admit that his Zhang Jike/Euro style loop is easier to control and very spinny.  But of course, when you spend years trying to perfect something, will you not use it even when you have a better stroke elsewhere?

Edited by NextLevel - 10/09/2015 at 3:35pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 6:09pm
Chinese coaches and professionals mentioned the importance of using your body, not your arm, to loop the ball. By doing that you can improve power as well as consistency of your strokes. Paddle angle is just matter of adjustment.
When you watch Chinese players' video, pay more attention to their legs movement and body rotation.

Danzors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danzors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 6:26pm
^ +1 to Rick. I think focusing on just one part of your body, rather than getting the legs and hips involved is going to lead to injury. In fact, I had chronic shoulder pain due to flawed technique. Everyone's body mechanics are different so finding the stroke that you can produce maximum power + spin will be the best for you.

If you try a few things, you'll get a sense for what feels natural and what feels too forced with little effectiveness. I would say to trust that feeling and go towards it rather than wasting your time trying to do something for looks.
Tibhar KJH
Xiom Vega Pro
onehander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 6:54pm
+1 to Rick.  It's a whole body involvement.  Odd as it might seem, to me it feels similar to making a classical eastern grip tennis forehand swing.   The vast majority of tennis players today use a semi or
western grip forehand, so that does not apply here.  But coming from a traditional tennis forehand, the DHS TG2 neo and H3 neo both feel absolutely natural compared to euro/japanses rubber for me.  Mid 
distance loop drives land consistently with great spin and speed.  
wanhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 10:34pm
You need to Boost your rubber for more dwell time its too hard..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic