Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing doubles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kitkit890 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitkit890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing doubles
    Posted: 11/09/2015 at 11:09am
Hello guys. I just wanted to ask about tips in playing doubles. We don't have a coach, so we really have no idea. It would be a mixed doubles, and we're both right handed. We're joining a competition soon and we were assigned to represent our school lol, so we're quite nervous. :)
Blade: 729 Bomb (penhold)
FH: DHS Hurricane III Neo
BH: 729 Focus III Snipe
Sponsored Links

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2015 at 11:30am
Step out to the right, then back, so you dont get in the way of each other. Very basic, but helped me a lot when I was new to doubles.

Others then that, it's often a good idea to hit the ball back to where its coming from, to force your opponents to move out of the way for each other.
The holy grail
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2015 at 11:40am
+1 on speedplay recommendations.

When playing with RH partner - I find it easier to return serves with my backhand - so my partner is already in position. So if you or your partner have a decent backhand that is one thing to consider.

Try to serve short and low. Try to stay away from center line, at our club lots of arguments as to where the ball bounced.

Both you and partner should have the same mentality - one starts attacking the other should continue the attack. Always try to setup your partner for a put away shot. 

The hardest part is to get out of each others way.  Good way to practice this is to play against a single player on the other side. 
Good luck
PS: Don't get upset with your partner if she/he misses an easy shot - they weren't doing it on purpose.

Edited by jrscatman - 11/09/2015 at 12:31pm
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2015 at 11:46am
Check out the below link...(Should work now)

Edited by bes - 11/09/2015 at 2:15pm
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2015 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

Check out the below link...(Hope it works!)
bes
The link does not work. 
Butterfly MPS
avi3230 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avi3230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2015 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

Check out the below link...(Hope it works!)
bes
The link does not work. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Lp4q8WLQKgxEukZn7Md0qyI0mml86KYYgShRrW0liI/edit?pli=1

just add : after https and it will work fine.
kitkit890 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitkit890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2015 at 9:27am
Wow. Playing doubles is more demanding on footwork since we constantly need to get out of each other's way.

Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

PS: Don't get upset with your partner if she/he misses an easy shot - they weren't doing it on purpose.

No worries, I won't :D
Blade: 729 Bomb (penhold)
FH: DHS Hurricane III Neo
BH: 729 Focus III Snipe
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2015 at 11:43am
People want to know why TT isn't as popular as tennis.  I've been lead to believe that doubles in tennis has as many or more participants.  People want to play with their wife, best friend, etc.  I understand that doubles in tennis is more manageable for those less mobile.  TT it's probably the opposite.

Still, I wonder if doubles ratings or teams doubles ratings might not be just what the sport needs.

Edited by cole_ely - 11/10/2015 at 1:18pm
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2015 at 11:58am
NCIS Gibbs Rule #6...

Never say you're sorry. It's a sign of weakness...

This is between partners. Just shouts of encouragement and motivation...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2015 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

People want to know why TT isn't as popular as tennis.  I've been lead to believe that doubles in tennis has as many or more participants.  People want to play with their wife, best friend, etc.  I understand that doubles in tennis is more manageable for those less mobile.  TT it's probably the opposite.

Still, I wonder if doubles ratings or teams doubles ratings might not be just what the sport needs.
Our club there is a group the enjoy playing doubles. The really good singles players don't play, but the mid level players enjoy playing it. 
Note: In Tennis it is recommended couples do not play together as partners. Apparently, disagreements might not end on the court might get taken home!
Butterfly MPS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic