FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Seeking Backhand RPB Tips - Follow-up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
simon_xuan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking Backhand RPB Tips - Follow-up
    Posted: 11/11/2015 at 3:27pm
Hi, folks:
A couple of years ago I posted a link on my RPB backhand stroke video for your advice. I received quite a lot of valuable feedback from the forum members. I used these instructions to practise and drill to try to improve my vertical movement issue of my body gravity point and the stabilization of elbow position. I would like to post another video to share a clip of my recent play, at least I feel some progress made. I would like your input on my forearm movement, which I think is is too much forward, and the consistency, which kind of not able to return the ball at the fixed location on the table. Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C9xK4xylrs&feature=youtu.be

Edited by simon_xuan - 11/11/2015 at 10:37pm
RPB Rocks!

BTY Innerforce ZLC Cpen | DHS H3N Blue Sponge | Victas V>15 Extra

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36695
Sponsored Links

berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2015 at 4:03pm
Not too bad looking an rpb counterdrive; the only advice I would give is start your stroke from a higher position, for example a little lower than chest height, use a slightly shorter follow-through, and don't let your left arm go out too far from your body as you stroke.  I'd also recommend, if you're not using it already, the Wang Hao grip, the thumb and forefinger pinched together near the top of the handle and your index, middle, and little finger curved slightly to your right with the pads of the first joint of those fingers resting on the rubber.

A former rpb user, with hardbat no less (inverted sponge too),

B. Mann
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2015 at 4:25pm
Thank you Berndt for the advice. One of my pals also pointed out my start position too low issue. Without finally taping myself, I wouldn't have noticed this issue while focusing more on how to at least get the backspin ball back. Forward movement is what I need to focus next. As for the RPB back fingers, I have a short fingers and find curving at the back somewhat cause the paddle to drop headway. I will try to adjust a little bit as well. I however did noticed my fingers at the back are all straight rather than curved cupping. Thanks again.
RPB Rocks!

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2015 at 4:59pm
I think you may be trying to generate too much topspin with the neutral blade angle you are using.  You start (end of backswing) with a neutral angle (vertical blade face) and often finish with a just slightly open blade angle.  With that blade angle you have to swing quite vertically to generate significant topspin.  Your blade angle progression is best suited to flatter hitting.  Of course to flat hit you would need to start higher and finish lower (a flatter swing plane).  As suggested,  just starting higher will help flatten out the swing plane.  Just do not try to generate too much topspin with an exaggerated vertical motion right at ball contact. 

If instead of generating topspin by swinging so vertically, try closing your blade just slightly (at end of backswing), keep that angle through ball contact, and let the natural rolling motion around the elbow close the racket angle even a little more in the follow through.  Do not make an effort to close the blade during the swing, but do not fight the natural tendency for the blade to close slightly as the arm starts to fully extend.  Fighting that tendency can actually cause you to open the blade just before contact if your timing is slightly off. 

This can start you on your way to looping with the RPB.  In that case you have a significantly closed starting blade angle (45 to 60 deg) and a flatter stroke plane where you contact the ball more on the top quarter than on the back of the ball.

Note: I do not play RPB but have been doing a lot of coaching with 1300 USATT RPB player whose strokes look very similar to yours.  We have had good luck in improving his consistency and power by starting the forward swing with the blade slightly closed.  I am not a certified coach and not that high level of player so if you get contradictory info from better sources please defer to them.

Mark
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2015 at 10:56pm
Mark, I think you pointed out my bottleneck in my stroke for the lack of horizontal motion for top spin. I try to compensate it by moving the forearm upwards. That didn't work either, only ended with higher gravity point of ending stroke at the cost of flying off balls. I will try the closed angle approach. Thanks a lot. Simon
RPB Rocks!

rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2015 at 2:32pm
The number one issue, I think, is stabilization of your elbow position. I know you mentioned in the post that you were aware of the issue and has improved in this area. But I think it is still a big problem and it has room to improve.

I have a list of suggestions:
1. Don't move your elbow (too much). Your elbow needs to be close to your body all the time, and not to move it during the full cycle of your stroke. I think this is what stabilization of your elbow means.
2. Make your stroke compact. Too big a stroke does not necessarily generate good power. When making close to table strokes, you need to make it short and fast, so good recovery, and still with good power.
3. Make the ball contact close to your body and don't let the other should away from the table all the time.
4. Move your feet to adjust your position. Even it is fixed position practice, the balls are still landed in different spots. You need to move feet to adjust your body position, instead of reaching by moving your arm (including elbow).

I think elbow stabilization (#1) is the most important here. If you do #1, then it limits your upper arm movement, your stroke is automatically small and compact (#2), and force you to move your feet to get in to position (#4). Because the stroke is compact, you have to rely more on your body rotation to generate power, then your other should will come back naturally and the ball contact will be closer (#3).

Just my two cents.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2015 at 2:50pm
Thanks Rick. Bad habits are difficult to get rid of once formed. I realized what I am conscious of and what I can execute in strokes is two different things. I rechecked the video and I can see my elbow was moving back and forth horizontally. Alright, I need to remind myself on the lock-elbow key point. Obviously I have a lot to continue to work on. Thanks again for all the input.
RPB Rocks!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic