FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Interesting Service Strategy/Thought

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting Service Strategy/Thought
    Posted: 11/24/2015 at 3:09pm
Sponsored Links

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 3:19pm
Leaves the server too vulnerable for a receiver's BH loop cross-court, while the chances of an edge are negligible, IMHO.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 3:37pm
Ovtcharov does it a lot but his version much deeper than this, right into the corner (he's not going for the edge).  Then it can catch right handed players in a bad position.  (I use that trick too, it is pretty easy to learn). 

The good thing about what this guy is doing, though, aiming for an edge, is that it helps develop all kinds of soft hand touch that helps you execute other kinds of serves.  Anything you can do to help that is good, even if it is for serves you aren't really planning to use. 
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Leaves the server too vulnerable for a receiver's BH loop cross-court, while the chances of an edge are negligible, IMHO.
yep. Just about any cross-court will be fatal.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2015 at 12:19am

Assuming the player is high level, I would think they have the footwork to cover it.  Even at the amateur level, you could probably recover from the cross court loop if you have long pips for a block.

Still, i would assume this serve is mainly used for a surprise.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2015 at 10:26am
I like it. I always wondered why TT players don't aim for an edge on the serve. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2015 at 10:39am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Assuming the player is high level, I would think they have the footwork to cover it.  Even at the amateur level, you could probably recover from the cross court loop if you have long pips for a block.

Still, i would assume this serve is mainly used for a surprise.

That's my take on it too. Ovtcharov spends entire matches serving to the opponents' short fh to condition them, and then serves once to the bh hoping for the surprise effect.
victorm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2015 at 11:19am
+1
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2015 at 1:50pm
I see this being more effective if server serves from the backhand corner. Leaving him less vulnerable to the cross court BH that's been mentioned, but also giving the server an open look at ripping the return down the line of the opponent's FH.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2015 at 2:37pm
I'm always critical of people's home serving videos because I did mine in one take. I'd say the reason people don't serve for the edge is the same reason that guy had a separate cut for every shot. If he could do even a few in a row we'd have seen it.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic