FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Best robot under $1400

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best robot under $1400
    Posted: 11/29/2015 at 10:35am
Hi guys,

Recently our club has come into some money, and we've decided to buy a robot. We should have around $1400 (maybe a little bit less) and we'd like to get a good robot for training. What do you guys recommend? Obviously we need not get the most expensive thing if a cheaper one works fine, the club is almost always tight on money.

Thanks!

Edited by Argothman - 11/29/2015 at 10:35am
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 12:49pm
Try to supplement the budget and get an Amicus Advanced or An Amicus Pro. The higher level club players will thank you for that. There are a few other choices, but almost none that can produce balls as realistic and then serve and rally in the same sequence.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 1:09pm
That's too bad that your budget is sitting right around $1,400, as most of the nicer, higher end robots cost just a bit more than that (between $1,600 - $1,900).  If you are going to spend that much money on a robot, I would increase the budget a few hundred dollars more and get an Amicus or possibly the top-end robot from Paddle Palace.  I've never used it, but it looks to have a nice digital control pad and the ability to shoot different spins (topspin, underspin, sidespin) in the same sequence.

What is the approximate level of the players in your club?  If most of the players are lower rated, you should be fine with a Newgy, but just make sure you understand the limitations.  You will not be able to create realistic paterns of play, as all Newgys are single wheel robots and cannot produce underspin and topspin in the same sequence.  Nor can it produce no-spin balls. 

Edited by Ringer84 - 11/30/2015 at 1:16pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
raptor3x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptor3x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Try to supplement the budget and get an Amicus Advanced or An Amicus Pro. The higher level club players will thank you for that. There are a few other choices, but almost none that can produce balls as realistic and then serve and rally in the same sequence.

Megaspin has a 15% off coupon at the moment (should still be good at least for today) that applies to the Amicus robots, Wink.  Seems like they changed how the coupon works, discount on the Amicus is only ~3% now.

Edited by raptor3x - 11/30/2015 at 1:46pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 2:14pm
I think you'll be fine with a Newgy.  Your players who have a skill level of U1800 will really appreciate the idea that you bought a robot for them.  Many clubs ignore the lower level players when doing something special.  Some clubs find that when they buy a high tech robot the top level players use it all the time and the weaker players get intimidated and won't use it as much as they should.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 4:36pm
Ease of use must be a consideration. The butterfly ones look complex. I know the paddle palace is easy to use.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

That's too bad that your budget is sitting right around $1,400, as most of the nicer, higher end robots cost just a bit more than that (between $1,600 - $1,900).  If you are going to spend that much money on a robot, I would increase the budget a few hundred dollars more and get an Amicus or possibly the top-end robot from Paddle Palace.  I've never used it, but it looks to have a nice digital control pad and the ability to shoot different spins (topspin, underspin, sidespin) in the same sequence.

What is the approximate level of the players in your club?  If most of the players are lower rated, you should be fine with a Newgy, but just make sure you understand the limitations.  You will not be able to create realistic paterns of play, as all Newgys are single wheel robots and cannot produce underspin and topspin in the same sequence.  Nor can it produce no-spin balls. 
Without the digital control, it only costs 1500 Embarrassed
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

One important difference to note, however, is that the robot you linked to is a dual head robot, while the robot I linked to is a single head robot.  I would guess that the dual head robot can produce many of the same effects as the single head, though. But I'm not sure.

Edited by Ringer84 - 11/30/2015 at 5:57pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 6:01pm
I have been very happy with my Newgy 2050. It is relatively inexpensive (on sale for $649), computer-controlled, pre-programmed with 64 drills, programmable (i.e., drills can be modified to have a greater randomness to them), etc. Yes, it is only a single-wheel robot (i.e., only one spin at the time), but in order to train footwork and specific movement patterns, I think it is extremely good for the price. I think almost everyone can benefit from it. A robot is only a training supplement and can never replace multiball drills and real people anyway imo.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 6:36pm
I've had a Newgy 1040 for a while. I suck at flat balls, I think mostly because of the lack of practice against them. I sort of blame the limitations of the robot. However for a club its just fine for warming up and still plenty to learn from.

I'm actually very curious about the ipong 300...can it just produce me a flat ball? Because then i'd be set.

At my clubs, before a tourney I'll do serve practice on the robot table. It's pretty handy having the net catcher right there.

Edited by wilkinru - 11/30/2015 at 6:37pm
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

That's actually a very different robot.
Cybershape Carbon
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 7:28pm
We might actually be able to supplement our budget, the school offers opportunities to do work at the recreation center periodically for ~200.

The Amicus advanced does seem to be the best option, so I'll definitely try to supplement our budget to aim for that.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 8:37pm
I used an Amicus at our club and because it was more complicated than a Newgy there was enough damage by the members that I quit using it.

The Newgy is cheap and easy to fix any problems.  The Amicus was very expensive to repair.

If you get the Amicus someone needs to be by the robot showing members how to use it most of the time.  Again beginning players may not want to use it because it has more than they need and the better players will hog it.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2015 at 1:20am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I used an Amicus at our club and because it was more complicated than a Newgy there was enough damage by the members that I quit using it.

The Newgy is cheap and easy to fix any problems.  The Amicus was very expensive to repair.

If you get the Amicus someone needs to be by the robot showing members how to use it most of the time.  Again beginning players may not want to use it because it has more than they need and the better players will hog it.

I can see this.  Not sure about the cost but I can see students damaging the Amicus.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic