FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

BBC (Charlie)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2016 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

Matt Pimple is right: the Viscaria core is kiri, NOT balsa !!!

And what's kiri ? Kind of balsa wood, right?
Smile
Sponsored Links

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2016 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

Matt Pimple is right: the Viscaria core is kiri, NOT balsa !!!

And what's kiri ? Kind of balsa wood, right?
Smile

Not right! Different family of trees.
Kiri: Paulowniaceae family
Balsa: Malvaceae family
And here is what you can find on OOAK regarding kiri and comparison to balsa:
"kiri: (aka Paulownia, Royal Paulownia, Princess Tree, Empress Tree); A light weight, soft but very tight and torsionally stiff type of wood, mainly used as core veneer. (Almost every Butterfly table tennis blade that is made in Japan has a Kiri core.) More durable, heavier and harder than balsa. (This is one of the main reasons why Butterfly blades are heavier than other manufacturer's blades.) Density .26-35 gm per cubic centimeter. Janka: 250; SG: .26; PCF: 16
This wood is from the Paulownia family. It’s a bit over double the hardness of balsa, but it remains very light-weight. This is a great core wood for faster blades with heavier medial and outer plies. Just like balsa, it cuts down on vibration and makes a blade with a little less feeling than something made with a wood like cypress; just like balsa, it cuts down on vibration and makes a blade with a little less feeling than something made with a wood like cypress; Janka: 250; SG: .26; PCF: 16"
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2016 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Kiri: Paulowniaceae family
Janka: 250; SG: .26; PCF: 16
Balsa: Chroma pyramidale
Janka: 90; SG: .12; PCF: 9

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2016 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Renol Renol wrote:

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Charlie can vary the core thickness of the Excalibur to make it off - off+ if you like. The normal thickness is 5.9 but he made mine 6.0 th speed things up a bit. Just tell Charlie you want an off Excalibur and he can make the core slighter thicker.

Is the Excalibur one of the new blades that Charlie mentioned with nano-carbon?

Judging by this

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74034&PID=913189&title=bbc-excalibur#913189

yes, it is made with nano-carbon. Interesting that there is no vibration, right? All the blades with nano-carbon I tried had some vibration - however in this case, probably because it has so many layers, the blade is stiffer because of 10 layers of glue.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Renol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2016 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by Renol Renol wrote:

Charlie can vary the core thickness of the Excalibur to make it off - off+ if you like. The normal thickness is 5.9 but he made mine 6.0 th speed things up a bit. Just tell Charlie you want an off Excalibur and he can make the core slighter thicker.

Is the Excalibur one of the new blades that Charlie mentioned with nano-carbon?

Judging by this

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74034&PID=913189&title=bbc-excalibur#913189

yes, it is made with nano-carbon. Interesting that there is no vibration, right? All the blades with nano-carbon I tried had some vibration - however in this case, probably because it has so many layers, the blade is stiffer because of 10 layers of glue.

Thanks.

Anyone know if Charlie is back in business?
Blade: DHS Long 5
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
BH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
victorm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2016 at 8:27pm
I'll wait to see the new line of blades he will have over the next few weeks! Hopefully soon!
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

So exciting!

I've already ordered one.
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 2:57am
I'd be really interested in charlie's take/improvement on the clipper, does he have any 7ply wood blades?
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 7:36am
Rocketman that's the blade I'm playing with by Charlie. It's a 7-ply blade with 2 thin carbon layers and it's called Flashdrive 3.0. It weighs about 85 gms but he can vary the weight a little depending on what you like. I was playing with the clipper for several months and although I played ok I kept losing to a 2150-2200 looper. I just didn't have the feel with the Clipper I had with other blades. I contacted Charlie and he sent me the Flashdrive. I beat that looper 3-0 the first time I played him with it. The blade has plenty of power but it has much better control/feel than the Clipper. I'm playing much better now after switching to Charlie's blade. He sells it for $80 and it's worth every penny. The handle is also the best I've ever had.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 10:45am

Rocketman that's the blade I'm playing with by Charlie. It's a 7-ply blade with 2 thin carbon layers and it's called Flashdrive 3.0. It weighs about 85 gms but he can vary the weight a little depending on what you like. I was playing with the clipper for several months and although I played ok I kept losing to a 2150-2200 looper. I just didn't have the feel with the Clipper I had with other blades. I contacted Charlie and he sent me the Flashdrive. I beat that looper 3-0 the first time I played him with it. The blade has plenty of power but it has much better control/feel than the Clipper. I'm playing much better now after switching to Charlie's blade. He sells it for $80 and it's worth every penny. The handle is also the best I've ever had.

Dave, could you give us a short review on the FlashDrive blade?

Is it stiff or flexy, how thick it is, does it have any vibration, are the outers soft or hard, how's the short game, do you know the woods used for it etc. And of course your impressions on different types of strokes, control/speed etc.

Thanks!

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 11:17am
I love the FlashDrive 3.0 blade! It's a 7-ply thin fairly stiff blade that has good control. I would rate it about Off- as far as speed goes. It has 2 thin plies of carbon, and hard koto outer plies. I was playing with Stiga Clipper and doing ok, but just didn't have the great feel I had been used to, so I began looking for an alternative. Decided to give Charlie a call, and timing must have just been right as he was ready to start making blades again. He sent me this FlashDrive and I immediately started playing better with it as I had better feel/control, but still plenty of power to finish the point with. I used to play with a Donic Burn Aratox RS Carbon blade that was similar in weight/thickness/feel, but I think this blade is even better for me as it has slightly more power/throw angle.
You were spot on about the Quad-Trip in saying that it has too much vibration and sometimes is a bit springy. I came to the same conclusion, so I didn't really care for it as much. But the FlashDrive doesn't have that springy feeling and it's perfect for hitting. Charlie said it was more of a hitting blade, but I've played great with the Rhyzm Tech on my BH with it. I tend to brush loop and spin it more than drive it and it's been great for that as well. The best part though is it only sells for $80, and you know how great his handles are. To sum it up it's a solid-feeling blade that has plenty of power, but still has good touch/control.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 4:49pm
AcudaDave, would you be able to compare it to say Timo Boll ALC(my current blade), as i do find it to have enough vibration/feel.

Plus doesn't having nano-carbon, like any other carbon dampen the feel?
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 4:57pm
Hm, 3 days ago I tried to contact him (with email), but up to now he did not answer. Ermm
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 4:58pm
Charlie called me today to get my address to ship out my new Flashdrive 3.0.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 5:56pm
LOG1C1AN , you are in LA, where do you play?
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 7:24pm
I'm in the SFV. A couple of days a week at Allen & Sons, and a couple of days at the Vietnamese Community Center, and once in a while at Balboa Park.

You are welcome to test drive the Flashdrive once it arrives if you want to meet up.

Edited by LOG1C1AN - 01/15/2016 at 7:26pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 8:09pm
That'd be awesome, i m in SFV too, i usually go play @ LATTA, i must know you if you play at the temple in lincoln heights?
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 8:46pm
I've heard of latta of course, but I've never heard of the temple. Send me a PM with contact info and I'll let you know once the blade arrives.
Renol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 10:12pm

I love the FlashDrive 3.0 blade! It's a 7-ply thin fairly stiff blade that has good control. I would rate it about Off- as far as speed goes. It has 2 thin plies of carbon, and hard koto outer plies. I was playing with Stiga Clipper and doing ok, but just didn't have the great feel I had been used to, so I began looking for an alternative. Decided to give Charlie a call, and timing must have just been right as he was ready to start making blades again. He sent me this FlashDrive and I immediately started playing better with it as I had better feel/control, but still plenty of power to finish the point with. I used to play with a Donic Burn Aratox RS Carbon blade that was similar in weight/thickness/feel, but I think this blade is even better for me as it has slightly more power/throw angle.
You were spot on about the Quad-Trip in saying that it has too much vibration and sometimes is a bit springy. I came to the same conclusion, so I didn't really care for it as much. But the FlashDrive doesn't have that springy feeling and it's perfect for hitting. Charlie said it was more of a hitting blade, but I've played great with the Rhyzm Tech on my BH with it. I tend to brush loop and spin it more than drive it and it's been great for that as well. The best part though is it only sells for $80, and you know how great his handles are. To sum it up it's a solid-feeling blade that has plenty of power, but still has good touch/control.

How is the FlashDrive as compared to the Excalibur?
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 10:37pm
Flashdrive is a little faster and Charlie thinks of it being more of a hitting blade. I like the Flashdrive but the Excalibur is probably better for looping. I also think the Excalibur has more gears, but they are both great blades.
Renol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2016 at 11:19pm

Flashdrive is a little faster and Charlie thinks of it being more of a hitting blade. I like the Flashdrive but the Excalibur is probably better for looping. I also think the Excalibur has more gears, but they are both great blades.

Thanks.

Edited by Renol - 01/16/2016 at 6:01am
Renol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2016 at 8:33am
Correct me if I am wrong.

Currently there are 3 new blades by BBC as follows:

Quad-Trip (OFF- to OFF/ALL+) - 82-83 g
Composition: 7 plys (4 cypress layers + 3 nano-carbon layers)
Thickness: 6.7-6.8 mm

FlashDrive 3.0 (OFF-) - 85g
Composition: 7 plys (5 koto layers + 2 nano-carbon layers)
Thickness: ?

Excalibur (ALL+/OFF-)
Composition: 11 plys (4 koto layers + 2 blasa layers + 1 carbon + 4 nano-carbon layers)
Thickness: 5.9 mm

Edited by Renol - 01/16/2016 at 10:07am
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2016 at 9:38am
Yep that's correct. The wood layers of the Flashdrive are koto as well. They are a dyed "rock" koto. He also uses Wenge wood in the handles as this wood is good at being water resistant.
Renol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2016 at 10:11am

Yep that's correct. The wood layers of the Flashdrive are koto as well. They are a dyed "rock" koto. He also uses Wenge wood in the handles as this wood is good at being water resistant.

I saw your review and pictures for Excalibur. Are the dyed wood a special kind of koto?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2016 at 12:43pm
FlashDrive is OFF-? slower than, say, Korbel?

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2016 at 9:47pm

So exciting!

I've already ordered one.

Great! In the last two-three weeks I had been testing a new blade of his - called Quad-Trip. Perhaps I should send it to someone else who is in need of (OFF-) blade with slight vibration. I do not like vibration blade at all even if vibration is next to non-existent.

If you are in US-48 and interested, let me know. I will email Charlie and ask him what is his preference. maybe he would prefer me to simply mail it back.

Blade's weight is 82-83 g, shakehand FL handle. Thickness around 6.7-6.8 mm with 4 cypress layers and three super-thin special carbon layers between them (Charlie calls that material "nano-carbon", I think).

Sorry for my late response.... but only ST for me, even when just testing Smile
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2016 at 10:58pm
I received an Attack JR yesterday. I can't believe how nice Charlie's blades are.

I ordered another just now. This time the Attack I shape.
victorm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2016 at 11:28pm
Really nice - which blade model is this?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2016 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by victorm victorm wrote:

the All Around
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2016 at 11:52am

the All Around

How slow (ALL?) is the All-Around ?

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2016 at 6:08pm

the All Around

How slow (ALL?) is the All-Around ?

This ATTACK JR was for a friend and doesn't have my typical rubbers on it. But from a brief hit with this one and from the ones I tried in the past, I think ALL+ might be fair. Or perhaps ALL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic