FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Hitting to much, little spin in loop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitting to much, little spin in loop?
    Posted: 12/04/2015 at 12:54pm
I realized that when I loop, I tend to hit the ball too much, which resulting in a lack of abrasion (grabbing) to the ball and thus less spin. I know that in order to impart more spins on the ball, the paddle needs to hit the ball lightly.  I have tried to solve the problem, but feel very hard to fix it. I know closing the paddle can somehow increasing the abrasion, but you can not close your paddle when looping underspin. I feel that I have apply all power (foot, waist, arm, wrist,...) for the loop.

Anyone has the same problem or any suggestion to it? I think that many might have the same problem.

Edited by kindof99 - 12/04/2015 at 12:55pm
Sponsored Links

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 1:13pm
relax your arm and grip, use hip and body rotation forward and  try to accelerate your fore arm and wrist over the ball. 
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

relax your arm and grip, use hip and body rotation forward and  try to accelerate your fore arm and wrist over the ball. 

Thanks. I think I have done all these. I feel my problem is that when my paddle contacts the ball, it hit the weight center of the ball, so it creates only little spin. To create more spin, I have to hit the upper or lower part of the ball. It is just very hard to do that consistently. Maybe, more practice is what I need?
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Thanks. I think I have done all these. I feel my problem is that when my paddle contacts the ball, it hit the weight center of the ball, so it creates only little spin. To create more spin, I have to hit the upper or lower part of the ball. It is just very hard to do that consistently. Maybe, more practice is what I need?

you should brush the upper part of the ball with your wrist. Then your able to create more spin on your loops. I guess your problem is that you contact the ball too flat, with too little wrist and fore am acceleration. The cause of this problem can be that your grip is to firm,too tense. Relax your grip!
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 2:14pm
Actually you can loop underspin with a closed blade and this is the more modern technique.  In the modern technique you overcome the underspin by swinging the racket fast enough that the racket is moving faster (tangentially to the ball) than the underspin is spinning backwards.  If the blade is faster than the underspin at contact, the reaction is actually as if you were hitting a light topspin ball instead of hitting an underspin one. You get maximum tangential speed if your swing plane angle matches your blade angle (max brushing) so you want to trying and match these up.  But what angle do you use. 

There is no one right angle in terms of getting the ball back, but different angles have different difficulties and benefits.  If you use a neutral blade angle then you have to swing straight up to match swing plane to blade angle.  Because you are swinging straight up you need less racket speed to overcome the underspin since the more upward motion helps lift the ball more.   If the ball is travelling almost horizontally, using a vertical swing means the timing will be more difficult.  This is why you most often see the vertical swing loop used by letting the ball start to drop (move more vertical) before swinging.  The more vertical stroke also produces a slower ball since none of the swing energy is going into producing forward motion.  As you close your blade a little (say to 70deg) your swing will be primarily up, but will need to be a little forward as well.  You get less lift from the swing direction (less upward) so you have to swing faster to overcome the same amount of topspin as with the vertical swing.  However, you do get a lower and faster ball with the more forward swing. 

For non-world class players a 45 deg angle is probably the maximum practical angle for normal pushes.   Of course if the underspin ball bounces high enough more closed angles can be used.

One thing to mention is that the swing plane angle is determined by how far back in your stance you contact the ball.  For a vertical swing you need to position yourself (or let the ball travel) so that you contact the ball when it is even with your hitting arm shoulder.  For 60-70 deg swing you will need to contact the ball more forward like just in front of the hitting arm side toe.  For 45 deg you will be contacting the ball more even with the non-hitting arm foot.

One way to practice this is to use an empty small plastic water bottle with the ball sitting on the open top.  Put the bottle on your Bh corner of the table (right at edge) and stand to the outside of the table positioned so the ball is about even with the middle of you back foot and the right distance to your right (for right handers) for comfortable contact.  Practice swinging with the blade at about 60 deg and the swing angle the same.  You should be able to hit the ball off the top of the bottle without hitting the bottle.

Good luck.

Mark
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 2:49pm
Thanks a lot, Mark.

The looping curve is generally a semi-circle. Where would you contact the ball with the paddle?

Also, when would you fold your forearm in the swing plane? I read some chinese articles that said one should start to fold the forearm about a couple of inches before contacting the ball.

Also when to start to twist the wrist? 

Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Actually you can loop underspin with a closed blade and this is the more modern technique.  In the modern technique you overcome the underspin by swinging the racket fast enough that the racket is moving faster (tangentially to the ball) than the underspin is spinning backwards.  If the blade is faster than the underspin at contact, the reaction is actually as if you were hitting a light topspin ball instead of hitting an underspin one. You get maximum tangential speed if your swing plane angle matches your blade angle (max brushing) so you want to trying and match these up.  But what angle do you use. 

There is no one right angle in terms of getting the ball back, but different angles have different difficulties and benefits.  If you use a neutral blade angle then you have to swing straight up to match swing plane to blade angle.  Because you are swinging straight up you need less racket speed to overcome the underspin since the more upward motion helps lift the ball more.   If the ball is travelling almost horizontally, using a vertical swing means the timing will be more difficult.  This is why you most often see the vertical swing loop used by letting the ball start to drop (move more vertical) before swinging.  The more vertical stroke also produces a slower ball since none of the swing energy is going into producing forward motion.  As you close your blade a little (say to 70deg) your swing will be primarily up, but will need to be a little forward as well.  You get less lift from the swing direction (less upward) so you have to swing faster to overcome the same amount of topspin as with the vertical swing.  However, you do get a lower and faster ball with the more forward swing. 

For non-world class players a 45 deg angle is probably the maximum practical angle for normal pushes.   Of course if the underspin ball bounces high enough more closed angles can be used.

One thing to mention is that the swing plane angle is determined by how far back in your stance you contact the ball.  For a vertical swing you need to position yourself (or let the ball travel) so that you contact the ball when it is even with your hitting arm shoulder.  For 60-70 deg swing you will need to contact the ball more forward like just in front of the hitting arm side toe.  For 45 deg you will be contacting the ball more even with the non-hitting arm foot.

One way to practice this is to use an empty small plastic water bottle with the ball sitting on the open top.  Put the bottle on your Bh corner of the table (right at edge) and stand to the outside of the table positioned so the ball is about even with the middle of you back foot and the right distance to your right (for right handers) for comfortable contact.  Practice swinging with the blade at about 60 deg and the swing angle the same.  You should be able to hit the ball off the top of the bottle without hitting the bottle.

Good luck.

Mark
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 4:08pm
Read a couple of articles by chinese coaches. They mentioned that you need to adjust the paddle angle a little bit at the moment that the paddle contacts the ball. This will give a longer contact line between the paddle and the ball. I surely understand this. My question is whether an ametur can really implant this in his looping. It requires very nice feeling of the ball on the paddle and very fine adjustment of the wrist and forearm.

Edited by kindof99 - 12/04/2015 at 4:21pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 4:15pm
If you post video of your stroke, it is very easy for us to see what you are doing wrong and get a fix for it.  It is easy to over complicate looping by thinking too hard about it.  It is something that can be done and learned almost effortlessly if you have the right kind of instruction.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 4:23pm
I have not recorded video yet. I just feel that I am very close to have powerful loops, but seems just need a little more. A little frustrated. 
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 4:29pm
I normally focus on making a straight line swing from the knee, through the contact point, and up to about shoulder high.   There is some curve as I start the swing forward with hip rotation until the racket comes around and clears my body.  There is also curve in the follow through after the racket reaches shoulder high.  I do not think too much about the curve parts since if I get the straight line part right they come out right naturally.

Remember that the kind of loop you have decided to hit, slow, normal, aggressive will determine the angle of the straight line swing.

This is a simplification of course.  But it is hard to describe just in words.

You want max blade speed at contact so any elbow closure or wrist action needs to start before contact, but not so early that it has already started to slow down at ball contact.  That couple of inches suggestion seems like a good starting point.  Experiment a little to get a feel for what gets the most spin for you.  Sometimes you have to think about doing it earlier or later because where you are thinking you do it, is not actually where it takes place. 

Mark
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 4:39pm
Doesn't the hip and body rotation start before contacting the ball?

I understand is that when the right foot (right handed player) starts to push from the floor, the body weight shifts and the forearm starts to fold, then the paddle will make contact with the ball. 

I watched a couple of videos. Several players did not start to push their rights foots until almost contacting the ball. 
zephyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zephyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 9:00pm
Yes the hip and body rotation definitely start before contacting the ball. If you had a large piece of paper in front of you and you were told to hit your paddle through the paper, you would not put the paddle against the paper and then push of with your foot and torque your hips against the paper. You would pull your arm back, load up on your dominant foot, and then use the force from your push off to drive your hips to drive your arm into the paper. If you think about driving the ball forward while imparting spin, you should be able to achieve your desired outcome. The most important thing is to be physically fit and fast enough to be able to want to put a certain amount of spin and placement on a ball, and have the speed and footwork to get into position to do that. 

Edited by zephyr - 12/04/2015 at 9:01pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 9:25pm
there are about 3 types of looping vs. underspin generally based on timing.

a. off the bounce or on the rise - it is when you loop the underspin ball before it reaches the highest peak of its bounce. This is done using a closed angle about 30 degrees? of you racket angle based on the table. You need to close the angle because you are looping the ball above the playing surface of the table. This means using speed and hitting the ball more through the sponge to overpower the underspin. This is the fastest kind of loop but the least accurate and also the spin is less with more emphasis on the speed. You can also brush the ball lightly but it isn't that fast and not that effective. Great for half long serves and gives your opponent less time to react.

b. peak timing - when you loop the ball at its highest height of bounce or its peak height. This has the best ratio of speed and spin but it is not as fast as the off the bounce or not as spinny as the late contact. You can contact the ball through the sponge or brush it lightly but hitting through the sponge is the optimal idea. May be done at about 45 degree angle racket.

c. late or after the peak contact - this is done when you loop the ball after it begins to go down towards the floor or table. This is the easiest kind of loop to do, the most accurate and has the most spin but has lesser speed than the first 2. Also, if you opponent gives you heavy underspin pushes or he chops your topspin, then for a  mere mortal this is the kind of timing you use to loop the ball. Brush loops or looping the ball thinly are the spinniest at this timing but tend to be slower. You can also hit through the sponge to give extra speed. Can be done at about 50-60 degree racket angle.

Now of the 3 kinds of loop timing mentioned, which are you trying to do? all of these are looping strokes but they differ in timing and contact. They are classified that way in order to give you a better understand and make you choose which one you are trying to do or learn.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 9:44pm
Thanks, Yogi.

I tried to do the third type: looping on the early drop from the highest point. To me, spin is the most fascinating part of table tennis. 

[

QUOTE=yogi_bear]there are about 3 types of looping vs. underspin generally based on timing.

a. off the bounce or on the rise - it is when you loop the underspin ball before it reaches the highest peak of its bounce. This is done using a closed angle about 30 degrees? of you racket angle based on the table. You need to close the angle because you are looping the ball above the playing surface of the table. This means using speed and hitting the ball more through the sponge to overpower the underspin. This is the fastest kind of loop but the least accurate and also the spin is less with more emphasis on the speed. You can also brush the ball lightly but it isn't that fast and not that effective. Great for half long serves and gives your opponent less time to react.

b. peak timing - when you loop the ball at its highest height of bounce or its peak height. This has the best ratio of speed and spin but it is not as fast as the off the bounce or not as spinny as the late contact. You can contact the ball through the sponge or brush it lightly but hitting through the sponge is the optimal idea. May be done at about 45 degree angle racket.

c. late or after the peak contact - this is done when you loop the ball after it begins to go down towards the floor or table. This is the easiest kind of loop to do, the most accurate and has the most spin but has lesser speed than the first 2. Also, if you opponent gives you heavy underspin pushes or he chops your topspin, then for a  mere mortal this is the kind of timing you use to loop the ball. Brush loops or looping the ball thinly are the spinniest at this timing but tend to be slower. You can also hit through the sponge to give extra speed. Can be done at about 50-60 degree racket angle.

Now of the 3 kinds of loop timing mentioned, which are you trying to do? all of these are looping strokes but they differ in timing and contact. They are classified that way in order to give you a better understand and make you choose which one you are trying to do or learn.
[/QUOTE]
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2015 at 10:48pm

I have not recorded video yet. I just feel that I am very close to have powerful loops, but seems just need a little more. A little frustrated. 

Betcha anything you need to loosen up more than concern for power.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2015 at 12:59am

If you don't have video for yourself, your self-awareness is limited.  Even if you don't want to share video, get video of yourself and analyze it.  We really can't help you but you really need to help yourself.
Cybershape Carbon
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2015 at 10:19am
kindof99, Have you tried this? 

When practicing against your mate or robot, play a few feet off the table and give your best Xu Xin impression. Seriously watch his forehand. (I'm a left penholder but the concept can be done the same for a righty)

When you loop the ball, instead of hitting the back of the ball like you normally would, you drop the head of your blade pointing down towards the floor and you essentially hit the side of the ball as you swing forward. The amount of speed of the ball will be down as you're not putting as much forward momentum on the ball, but the side/topspin will be massive. You will notice opponents often times blocking the ball and it going wide off the table.

Here's why I like this shot as a means of practice.

1 - Variety in your stroke is good. Don't give them the same speed & spin every time.

2 - I feel this best teaches you the difference in feel between hitting the ball more directly and this side method where you will skim the ball more.

Lastly, it's easy. Yes, you can close the face of your blade and work on hitting the ball not as flush all while putting a million balls into the net as you're trying to get your blade speed fast enough or.... you can hit the side of the ball (which by nature hits thin vs hitting flush on the back of the ball) and you will being to feel the difference between hitting flush or thick vs thin.

Try it out and post back here what you think.

PS - warning. don't fall in love with this stroke. It can lead to bad habits if used too often. I tend to use this as my main forehand stroke and often times I deal with not having enough power. I'm currently working on mixing in more drive/power strokes.

Edited by suds79 - 12/05/2015 at 5:25pm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2015 at 3:09pm
Practice is the only way! you have identified the problem. Just a tip though, grip can affect your potential for variation of bat angle on ball contact. Grip angle actually affects a players technique from the moment they first pick up a bat. 
The Older I get, The better I was.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 6:54pm
This is the link for my play.

I realize that I did not push my legs against the floor and  turn my waist before contacting ball. My grip of the paddle also leads to the paddle facing too much upward. Any other suggestion?

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 9:00pm
Elbow snap is too relaxed and unfocused. Will review with more comments later. Little use of the body, but that is not as bad unless you want to be an athletic looper.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/11/2015 at 9:06pm
Cybershape Carbon
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 11:30pm
Thanks, Next. Elbow snap is for sure one of my problems. 

I also observed that I flipped my wrist a little bit before hitting the ball.

Edited by kindof99 - 12/11/2015 at 11:37pm
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 2:15am
Kindof99,

I think you are doing something very similar to my problem that showed up in the video I posted in the "Loopkill against Block (the video)" thread.

When you start you backswing your shoulders rotate, but the arm and the racket do not.  Instead the arm (upper and forearm) move almost straight backward.  You start with your elbow well out in front of your shoulder line (imaginary line running between the right and left shoulders and extending out in each direction).  By the time you finish your shoulder rotation the elbow is well behind the now rotated shoulder line.  The elbow also has to move up as it goes back.  So at the end of your shoulder rotation (when the backswing should be finished) you still have to pull the forearm out to the side so that the Fh blade face is now facing toward the table.

If you look at your swing at 0.25 speed on you-tube you can see that during much of the backswing you can clearly see the complete Bh side (red) of your blade.  If you were rotating the arm out as the shoulders turned you would quickly see the edge (tip end) of the blade only (no red) and then start seeing the black Fh side start to appear.  By the time the shoulders turned about 3/4 of the amount you are doing you would already have the racket out to your side and the Fh blade facing the table.

With your extra arm movement backward and up, you have to start your forward swing with your arm (to get back in line with the shoulders) and this means most of the time you hit the ball with mainly arm motion, with the shoulder turn happening mostly after ball contact.  If you look closely at the start of your forward swing you can see that initially you have to swing slightly down (to get that raised elbow back into position) then you can start the normal approximately 45 deg upward swing.  This complicates your timing and robs you of some of your forward power.

You do not pull the elbow back and up as much as I do, so you are able to recover to a more normal swing than I do, but I think it still  is affecting you.  Shadow stroke and focus on not moving the arm at all relative to your upper body.  Just turn at the hips and as the shoulders turn the racket should first move almost straight to the right.  Then as it moves in a circle (around your point of rotation) it will start moving back and to the right.  Just before the end of the backswing (after following about a 1/4 circle path) the racket will be moving almost straight back and the Fh blade face should be at the perfect angle (facing the table) for ball contact.  You can continue with more rotation if you are flexible enough and want more power, but essentially at the end of the 1/4 circle you could stop.   If you do it this way you should find that you can get the racket into hitting position with less initial shoulder turn than you used before and that you can start your forward swing just by rotating the hips back in the opposite direction instead of having to make all the arm motion adjustments you are doing in the video.

I will try to make a demo video with both motions tomorrow if I can get my video cameral working.

I am getting much better results thinking of "rotate the racket out to the right" instead of thinking "take the racket back".  Maybe thinking that way to initiate your backswing will help you also.

Mark
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 5:11am
@kindof99 you hit the ball too much instead you need to brush more.
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 5:59am
IMHO Mr. Kindof99 doesn't feel correctly the moment of impact beetween blade and ball so that is the reason of hitting too much. Considering his hand doesn't feel the moment of impact just started his brain not give the command to rotate the wrist to brush the ball, and the blade is continuing the forward movement without brush. He might have a setup too hard/thick/stiff/speedy for his level, feeling of setup being the most important thing for a player who try to build correct strokes.

Edited by adishorul - 12/12/2015 at 6:09am
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 9:11am
Originally posted by adishorul adishorul wrote:

IMHO Mr. Kindof99 doesn't feel correctly the moment of impact beetween blade and ball so that is the reason of hitting too much. Considering his hand doesn't feel the moment of impact just started his brain not give the command to rotate the wrist to brush the ball, and the blade is continuing the forward movement without brush. He might have a setup too hard/thick/stiff/speedy for his level, feeling of setup being the most important thing for a player who try to build correct strokes.

I generally started twisting my wrist before contacting the ball. And well, my set up is not the best for learning as you suggest. 

And of course, my timing of contact needs a lot of improvement. I knew that in the video, several balls did not pass the net due to too late contacts. 

It will take a while to work on these issues.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 9:24am

@kindof99 you hit the ball too much instead you need to brush more.

I tried to brush more, but have not succeeded fixing my techniques.

To brush more, what should I do?

1), more wrist twist?
2), more elbow snap as NextLevel suggested?
3), more weight transfer from right to left?
4), more forward motion?

I actually started to have the feeling of brush the ball after I started this post. I used to have a linear looping motion, which resulting in almost no spin. 
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 10:20am
try to study this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIzW16bITyo 
at 1.20 you can see how u need contact the ball to create topspin with your wrist. you seem to use your wrist more to create speed.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 11:16am

Thanks, Next. Elbow snap is for sure one of my problems. 

I also observed that I flipped my wrist a little bit before hitting the ball.

You didn't flip your wrist a little - the wrist naturally does that if you are relaxed.

Your loop is not bad - you just are putting more into pace than you are into rotation/spin.  And to change it you can either brush more or contact the ball more off center.  I think contacting the ball off center will fit your mindset better, but you need to learn both.  The key to brushing is really to time the elbow snap so that it happens when you are close to the ball so that it throws the wrist forward and into/around the ball.

So I would say work on 

1) snapping the elbow closer to the ball.
2) work on looping more slowly but giving the ball more spin and less pace.  Look at the video from Skyline for how the wrist can do this.
3) work on looping hard but contacting the ball off center - hit it around the side top and not from behind. but still finish in the direction you want the ball to go in - don't produce sidespin.

All of those will give you more spin than you are getting now.
Cybershape Carbon
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 5:22pm
The stroke plane angle is too flat. Let the ball drop and intercept it while it is falling. Make sure you see it falling before you try to hit it. This is just to get the feel of consistently spinning the ball all the power and other stuff will come later just get the consistency going first. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Kindof99,

I think you are doing something very similar to my problem that showed up in the video I posted in the "Loopkill against Block (the video)" thread.

When you start you backswing your shoulders rotate, but the arm and the racket do not.  Instead the arm (upper and forearm) move almost straight backward.  You start with your elbow well out in front of your shoulder line (imaginary line running between the right and left shoulders and extending out in each direction).  By the time you finish your shoulder rotation the elbow is well behind the now rotated shoulder line.  The elbow also has to move up as it goes back.  So at the end of your shoulder rotation (when the backswing should be finished) you still have to pull the forearm out to the side so that the Fh blade face is now facing toward the table.

If you look at your swing at 0.25 speed on you-tube you can see that during much of the backswing you can clearly see the complete Bh side (red) of your blade.  If you were rotating the arm out as the shoulders turned you would quickly see the edge (tip end) of the blade only (no red) and then start seeing the black Fh side start to appear.  By the time the shoulders turned about 3/4 of the amount you are doing you would already have the racket out to your side and the Fh blade facing the table.

With your extra arm movement backward and up, you have to start your forward swing with your arm (to get back in line with the shoulders) and this means most of the time you hit the ball with mainly arm motion, with the shoulder turn happening mostly after ball contact.  If you look closely at the start of your forward swing you can see that initially you have to swing slightly down (to get that raised elbow back into position) then you can start the normal approximately 45 deg upward swing.  This complicates your timing and robs you of some of your forward power.

You do not pull the elbow back and up as much as I do, so you are able to recover to a more normal swing than I do, but I think it still  is affecting you.  Shadow stroke and focus on not moving the arm at all relative to your upper body.  Just turn at the hips and as the shoulders turn the racket should first move almost straight to the right.  Then as it moves in a circle (around your point of rotation) it will start moving back and to the right.  Just before the end of the backswing (after following about a 1/4 circle path) the racket will be moving almost straight back and the Fh blade face should be at the perfect angle (facing the table) for ball contact.  You can continue with more rotation if you are flexible enough and want more power, but essentially at the end of the 1/4 circle you could stop.   If you do it this way you should find that you can get the racket into hitting position with less initial shoulder turn than you used before and that you can start your forward swing just by rotating the hips back in the opposite direction instead of having to make all the arm motion adjustments you are doing in the video.

I will try to make a demo video with both motions tomorrow if I can get my video cameral working.

I am getting much better results thinking of "rotate the racket out to the right" instead of thinking "take the racket back".  Maybe thinking that way to initiate your backswing will help you also.

Mark
Nicely done Mark.  One thing I noticed in his video that was also apparent in your video is that for medium speed strokes, the problems aren't that obvious.  You might feel like you don't have the consistency you want, but it probably doesn't feel too bad.  However, when he or you go for a strong shot (power loop, loopkill, etc.), the attempt at extra power exaggerates the flaws in your stroke.  I suppose an analogy would be if your car shutters and chugs at 60 mph.  When you try to drive at 120 mph, the car is impossible to control and quickly crashes.

This is a good example of why we work on perfecting our mechanics are lower speeds, so there aren't those flaws at higher speeds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic