Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Concept vs. Technique

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zephyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concept vs. Technique
    Posted: 12/04/2015 at 8:26pm
I was watching a tennis match on youtube and really focusing on players preparation, contact point, and technique. While there are general similarities among all of the forehand/backhand techniques of an individual player, every shot is different and nuanced due to the different speed/spin/depth, etc of the incoming ball. This got me to thinking about my own game and some of the bad habits, physical and mental, I have fallen into over the years. After around 8 minutes of watching the tennis match and thinking about what connects all of the different forehands and backhands the players are hitting, I came to the idea that they have a general thought about what to do with the ball rather than how they were going to hit the ball. Every player hits the ball in a similar physical way, what separates them is what they are trying to achieve with the ball, and their physical bodies. Nadal wants to hit a spinny high forehand, so Nadal wanting to hit the ball that way, and his physical body stats determine what his 'technique' is going to look like. We all have the same physical body mechanics, but differences in body weight, height, muscle etc. will determine what our end, physically perfect technique will look like. 

With the idea of what I want to do with the ball, topspin into a can I set onto the table; I was able to hit the can at a percentage of > 50% with almost 100% of the balls coming into close contact of the can. I am going to play tomorrow without thinking of technique and instead thinking about what I want to do with the ball and where I want to put it. 

Does anyone else do something similar?
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2015 at 8:30am
Originally posted by zephyr zephyr wrote:

I was watching a tennis match on youtube and really focusing on players preparation, contact point, and technique. While there are general similarities among all of the forehand/backhand techniques of an individual player, every shot is different and nuanced due to the different speed/spin/depth, etc of the incoming ball. This got me to thinking about my own game and some of the bad habits, physical and mental, I have fallen into over the years. After around 8 minutes of watching the tennis match and thinking about what connects all of the different forehands and backhands the players are hitting, I came to the idea that they have a general thought about what to do with the ball rather than how they were going to hit the ball. Every player hits the ball in a similar physical way, what separates them is what they are trying to achieve with the ball, and their physical bodies. Nadal wants to hit a spinny high forehand, so Nadal wanting to hit the ball that way, and his physical body stats determine what his 'technique' is going to look like. We all have the same physical body mechanics, but differences in body weight, height, muscle etc. will determine what our end, physically perfect technique will look like. 

With the idea of what I want to do with the ball, topspin into a can I set onto the table; I was able to hit the can at a percentage of > 50% with almost 100% of the balls coming into close contact of the can. I am going to play tomorrow without thinking of technique and instead thinking about what I want to do with the ball and where I want to put it. 

Does anyone else do something similar?

Just about every good player in the world.  You accept your technique and apply it.  Even when I have bad technique, my best matches, I am not thinking about it - I am just doing what comes naturally.  After the point is over, I may shadow the correct stroke that I could have played, but just about every good player knows that you practice your technique, but you don't think about it during the point.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2015 at 11:32am
Yep.
As contextualised in 'The Inner game of tennis' and 'the inner game of golf'.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2015 at 12:25pm
Read this.  It is almost entirely about that idea.  Written long long ago by a zen monk.

http://terebess.hu/zen/UnfetteredMind.pdf
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2015 at 2:21pm
I constantly teach this, Technique is a fashion, If technique achieves the desired result at the top, its correct.
What happens in reality is that correct technique is derived from what at some point was not, otherwise the correct technique would never evolve.

Knowing how to play table tennis is a completely different thing and the principles always remain the same.
 The key to success at all levels in TT is to win by playing the 'game' (out foxing your opponents) by using the technique you can consistently rely on.
As we rise up the standards, every player fails ultimately on one of the two, either technique or matchplay, until you get to the top player in the world, and they have for their moment covered all bases. 
 Very interesting stuff this.
The Older I get, The better I was.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2015 at 3:11pm
Seems to me that everyone who knows a bit about our game agrees here, which is very good.
However, for me it is kind of hard to get it from the OP what the big deal here is. 
That we should not worry about our technique? Is it so? 
Or that we should "take it easy" before important matches? 
Or that we should try to be "in the zone" which is a truism? 
Maybe the title promised too much...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
zephyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 12:20am
Perhaps the simple title promised too much.

Or perhaps this forum is an outlet for everyone that doesn't have the resources available to them to practice on a regular basis.

I see rubber and blade reviews as the singular driver of traffic on this forum. Personally I have been critiqued and given very specific, close to step by step instructions to me on my strokes. 

You know what worked the best? Taking some time off and coming back to the game. What this afforded me was the opportunity to understand that there is nothing specific to any sport in terms of how your physical body attempts to influence the ball, and that is the main topic of this conversation. 

Many people have agreed with me that the best thing that you can do is have an understanding of your physical body in space, and how you want to influence the ball. Yet the majority of the advice on this forum is what equipment you should be using and how you should be executing your shot in very specific terms that confuse the majority of people. 

My take-away is that we already know how to hit the ball properly, and what gets in our way is people that try to break down the obvious and simple mechanics that we are born with into very specific instructions.

Edited by zephyr - 12/11/2015 at 12:28am
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 12:48am
Well, I very much believe that stroke technique is extremely important.  In fact for amateur players I would say that it is inferior technique that holds them back from improving beyond their current level.  We all experience those matches against certain players that don't have "pretty" technique themselves, yet they give us all sorts of trouble.  The fact is that those opponents expose the worst aspects of our technique.  A higher level player with better all-around technique would simply not have any such trouble with these same players.

As far as a general mental approach to the game, you need to "trust your training" and try to be relaxed when you play.  In other words, you can't force your technique to be better just by visualizing it in the middle of a match.  Instead, you need to clear your mind and play with your natural instincts, without predisposition of how you're going to hit every ball during the match.  Improving your technique happens during training, not during matches.

It all becomes glaringly obvious when we play the opponent that is much higher rated than ourselves.  Suddenly, those serves, serve returns, loops, and blocks don't look so good anymore.  You realize that there is always room for improvement in all aspects of our game.

The mark of very good player isn't the way they hit any one stroke, rather it's their ability to hit every stroke in different degrees, and in response to varying degrees of spin.  The distinguishing thing about high level players is their ability to adapt and change the way they are playing.  But they are only capable of doing that because their excellent technique allows them to stay in control under so many different circumstances.

Edited by geardaddy - 12/11/2015 at 1:04am
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 2:46am
Originally posted by geardaddy geardaddy wrote:

Well, I very much believe that stroke technique is extremely important.  In fact for amateur players I would say that it is inferior technique that holds them back from improving beyond their current level.  We all experience those matches against certain players that don't have "pretty" technique themselves, yet they give us all sorts of trouble.  The fact is that those opponents expose the worst aspects of our technique.  A higher level player with better all-around technique would simply not have any such trouble with these same players.

As far as a general mental approach to the game, you need to "trust your training" and try to be relaxed when you play.  In other words, you can't force your technique to be better just by visualizing it in the middle of a match.  Instead, you need to clear your mind and play with your natural instincts, without predisposition of how you're going to hit every ball during the match.  Improving your technique happens during training, not during matches.

It all becomes glaringly obvious when we play the opponent that is much higher rated than ourselves.  Suddenly, those serves, serve returns, loops, and blocks don't look so good anymore.  You realize that there is always room for improvement in all aspects of our game.

The mark of very good player isn't the way they hit any one stroke, rather it's their ability to hit every stroke in different degrees, and in response to varying degrees of spin.  The distinguishing thing about high level players is their ability to adapt and change the way they are playing.  But they are only capable of doing that because their excellent technique allows them to stay in control under so many different circumstances.

Well said   StarStarStarStarStar
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 7:57am
Hi,

There is a good answer for this discussion.  The sport is based on principles that provide the foundation for play dynamics.  I wrote a 435 page book expanding on this notion.

Two sources substantiate this claim on principles.  When, some decades ago,  the USTTA hired Henan Li (prior National Director of Junior Development in China) as National Head Coach and coach of the National Training Center in Colorado Springs, she stayed at my house for an extended period of time prior to starting her job.  During this period of her stay, she spent a very significant amount of time training me as a coach, using the materials from the highest level educational table tennis documentation in the Chinese National Coaching Education System.  It became decidedly clear within 3 minutes of the first lesson and throughout this extensive educational process that table tennis understanding at the highest level of the Chinese system is grounded on a foundation of principles, not mechanics.

A second source of substantiation comes from all rigorous intellectual disciplines.  All these subject matters are based on principles, starting with First Principles.  The Principles of Chemistry, the Principles of Architecture, the Principles of Accounting and onward to a virtually unlimited number of examples as to how these systems of thought create structure and strength for their bodies of understanding.

Within the Pacific Ocean of details encased within these extremely complex disciplines, the function of and understanding of the discipline's principles is greatly under appreciated, except by the very finest in the respective fields.

Because of the remarkable physicality of the sport, table tennis has a very strong inclination to the mechanical perspective.  The comparative ineffectiveness of this perspective as a foundation for play dynamics is manifest.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 11:20am
I don't think it's an either-or proposition. 

But I think from what I have seen, too many coaches spend too much time teaching their students technique and not enough teaching them how to win or at least do better with what they have.  Some of the coaches I have known who are very effective with adult players are much better at finding that balance.

In response to geardaddy, let me ask a few very important questions. 

You see player A with ugly technique beating player B with prettier technique.  Why would you conclude that making player B's technique even better will help him beat player A?  Is that really the limiting factor?  I would argue that your last post may draw the wrong conclusion.  Player A is getting more out of the technique he has.  Player A knows more about not beating himself.  Player A is probably not thinking about his technique and is just playing.  His technique limitations may set an upper limit that is lower than B's potential, but why is B not playing at his potential?

Of course, people should try to get technically better if they can, but not to the exclusion of all else, and maybe there are other things they need a lot more urgently.
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

But I think from what I have seen, too many coaches spend too much time teaching their students technique and not enough teaching them how to win or at least do better with what they have.  Some of the coaches I have known who are very effective with adult players are much better at finding that balance.

In response to geardaddy, let me ask a few very important questions. 

You see player A with ugly technique beating player B with prettier technique.  Why would you conclude that making player B's technique even better will help him beat player A?  Is that really the limiting factor?  I would argue that your last post may draw the wrong conclusion.  Player A is getting more out of the technique he has.  Player A knows more about not beating himself.  Player A is probably not thinking about his technique and is just playing.  His technique limitations may set an upper limit that is lower than B's potential, but why is B not playing at his potential?

Of course, people should try to get technically better if they can, but not to the exclusion of all else, and maybe there are other things they need a lot more urgently.

Of course there is a mental aspect of the game, which is not about stroke technique and instead is about choosing the proper strategy.  Staying relaxed will help keep an open mind to the game situation, and a player needs to know how to find the weaknesses of his opponent and adjust his strategy to exploit those weaknesses and cover their own weaknesses as much as possible.  This is an area where playing matches is important to develop those mental skills.  Is this what you are suggesting as "other things they need a lot more urgently"?

Obviously a player's ability to execute different strategies is limited by their stroke technique.  I am saying that most amateurs are in a place where their technique deficiencies are a bigger limiting factor than their mental strategy deficiencies.  As players become more skillful with their technique, then success in winning matches becomes more and more about the mental game.

Perhaps saying that someone has "ugly" or "pretty" technique was not a good approach.  Someone can have strokes that look "ugly" or "pretty", but that is not necessarily the same as saying that they have bad or good technique.  My analogy above was just meant to illustrate that player A, with some technique deficiencies, matching up with an player B that has his own technique deficiencies, but player B's strengths just happen to match well against player A's weaknesses.  My point is that attempting to execute different mental strategies will only get you so far.  Ultimately the stroke technique needs to be "fixed" to be able to get to a higher level. 

Edited by geardaddy - 12/11/2015 at 12:23pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 12:40pm

I am saying that most amateurs are in a place where their technique deficiencies are a bigger limiting factor than their mental strategy deficiencies.  As players become more skillful with their technique, then success in winning matches becomes more and more about the mental game.

I don't completely agree with these two things, especially the second.  I see a surprising number players who have such idiotic shot selection that it defies all logic (a tendency that continues as they improve) and I see some players who are newer to the game, with less refined technique, who intuitively are able to minimize those classes of errors.  I suspect I won't convince you, but that is very much my impression from watching this for a long time.

I am not saying technique is useless and people should not work on it.  You definitely need reliable and good tools.  But some technical issues players have are never going to get better, that is just reality, and if you are thinking too much about it while you play, you will be worse.  
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 1:10pm

I am saying that most amateurs are in a place where their technique deficiencies are a bigger limiting factor than their mental strategy deficiencies.  As players become more skillful with their technique, then success in winning matches becomes more and more about the mental game.

I don't completely agree with these two things, especially the second.  I see a surprising number players who have such idiotic shot selection that it defies all logic (a tendency that continues as they improve) and I see some players who are newer to the game, with less refined technique, who intuitively are able to minimize those classes of errors.  I suspect I won't convince you, but that is very much my impression from watching this for a long time.

I am not saying technique is useless and people should not work on it.  You definitely need reliable and good tools.  But some technical issues players have are never going to get better, that is just reality, and if you are thinking too much about it while you play, you will be worse.  

I don't think we are really disagreeing that much.  Perhaps a matter of perspective.  What you describe as "idiotic shot selection" is IMO an artifact of improper or incomplete technique.  In other words a player gets into a certain situation and continues to exhibit the same bad habits in doing an "idiotic shot" because they don't really know how to execute alternative responses.

What I see is that those who are new to the sport first of all get better at the mental game of executing different strategies that work for them.  So, they improve until they starting hitting barriers where their bad technique, or lack of adaptability in their strokes (which is part of having good technique), holds them back from going to the next level.

Edited by geardaddy - 12/11/2015 at 1:12pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 1:30pm
No not disagreeing much but differing in a pretty significant way about the underlying psychology of it, and the most efficient way to get past a barrier.  A lot of this is age-dependent also.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 3:24pm
To me, the most important reason to have good technique is to avoid possible injury from hitting wrong.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 3:38pm
Baal,

Could you expand on the "bad shot selection" idea you mentioned.  I would be very interested in hearing what kind of mistakes you see the most often, what mistakes are most prevalent at various levels, and what mistakes are most often made by particular styles.

I try to help out a lot of 1000-1500 level players at our club and this would help me focus them in better directions in their matches.  I am pretty good with basic technique and drilling, but often end up being less certain of what they are doing wrong during a match.

Mark
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 4:07pm
Mark, This is going to be a long post.  Let me write more of it this evening.  The stuff I will focus on is for 1900 and below more or less,   

One I see is people stepping around to try to attack forehands where (for that particular player) it is doomed to fail -- either they are going to miss, or hit a weak attack that can be brought back easily and then the player is off balance for the rest of the point.  They repeatedly try to make a shot they just cannot possibly execute well enough to make it a high percentage play.  

It varies in details with different players.  Generally I mean doing something repeatedly that for that particular player is a low percentage shot.  I know one guy who tries to attack third balls with his BH, which is ok, but he tries to hit it like Ovtcharov instead of just hitting a solid topspin shot, or he attempts it when he has not moved his feet at all and would be better advised to just push low.  
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 4:21pm

What about the PushBlocker who has good technique on the few different shots he uses but his strategy is superior vs highly skilled opponents.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 4:53pm
Most interesting topic on here in a while
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2015 at 9:58pm

It seems to me that that way we are quickly going toward the master-slave dialectic, perhaps in its extreme Alexander Kojeve version... while for some of us this is semantics. 
You write " Player A is probably not thinking about his technique and is just playing" How can we/do we know about it? How can we even discuss all that without making many presumptions?

(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 12:52am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

It seems to me that that way we are quickly going toward the master-slave dialectic, perhaps in its extreme Alexander Kojeve version... while for some of us this is semantics. 
You write " Player A is probably not thinking about his technique and is just playing" How can we/do we know about it? How can we even discuss all that without making many presumptions?

Zen.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 1:47am
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Most interesting topic on here in a while
I dunno, Fegerl's serve generated a pretty interesting thread to read LOL
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 1:54am
Shocked
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 11:26am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Baal,

Could you expand on the "bad shot selection" idea you mentioned.  I would be very interested in hearing what kind of mistakes you see the most often, what mistakes are most prevalent at various levels, and what mistakes are most often made by particular styles.

I try to help out a lot of 1000-1500 level players at our club and this would help me focus them in better directions in their matches.  I am pretty good with basic technique and drilling, but often end up being less certain of what they are doing wrong during a match.

Mark

Mark, watch your students to see if they are trying to attack balls that are beyond their skill level to attack, or with balls they can attack, trying to win points outright with a single all out shot instead of a more measured higher percentage shot.  This is really common in the 1000-1500 range.  Impatience.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 11:32am
I think it is more a matter of technique than impatience. It is much easier to bang the ball than try to make a measured stroke at our level.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 11:49am
True but not everybody falls into that trap.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 11:51am

Mark, This is going to be a long post.  Let me write more of it this evening.  The stuff I will focus on is for 1900 and below more or less,   

One I see is people stepping around to try to attack forehands where (for that particular player) it is doomed to fail -- either they are going to miss, or hit a weak attack that can be brought back easily and then the player is off balance for the rest of the point.  They repeatedly try to make a shot they just cannot possibly execute well enough to make it a high percentage play.  

It varies in details with different players.  Generally I mean doing something repeatedly that for that particular player is a low percentage shot.  I know one guy who tries to attack third balls with his BH, which is ok, but he tries to hit it like Ovtcharov instead of just hitting a solid topspin shot, or he attempts it when he has not moved his feet at all and would be better advised to just push low.  

I'm trying to teach a couple of people this, so here are my two cents.

Most players U1600 and even some higher with general misconceptions about table tennis believe that faster play is about hitting the ball harder.  This is not true - faster play is really about 

1) reading the play (faster) 
2) having a shot designed to match the play, 
3) preparing to take that shot and
4) executing that shot.

You can hit the ball as hard as you want, but if you don't read the ball/play properly, you will usually be late to the ball, and if you do not move and prepare to take the shot properly, you will take bad shots.  At the lower levels, they may not even have the right shot, and that hurts as well.  They may see a serve is a side-topspin serve to their backhand but have no loop or good counter for it.

Therefore, IMO, the best way to learn to play faster is to develop consistent spin shots that give you time to read and return the ball with good placement - in other words, develop good rally shots.  When you have developed these rally shots, then you can then spend time improving their quality.  You can also spend time developing shots that you take when you read the ball clearly.  So this is how I generally think of it with examples:

Example 1: I serve a backspin serve to the backhand and expect a return to my backhand (percentages).  I get a push long into my forehand.  However, for this serve, I recovered to the wide backhand because I wanted to use my forehand to attack behind this ball.  Seeing the push going to forehand would probably be easy if the player revealed his intentions early, and in this case, he did not so I am far from the play.  But I know that this guy's push isn't that great and I can spin up a ball with side-topspin below net height from the wide forehand if I get to it - I am not going to kill the ball.  So I try to hustle and get to the ball and spin the ball up.    I will likely miss that, but if I get there, I can do it at a 60% clip, but if I am late, I will lose the point easily.  I was late on the play, I read the play late, I have to play a conservative shot to stay in the point.

Example 2: I serve a no-spin serve to the short forehand and I expect a push because I disguise my no-spin serve as a heavy backspin serve.  My opponent pushes the serve and gets some backspin.  However, my view is that his backspin cannot be that heavy because he was pushing a no-spin ball.  I see the ball float a little high and the trajectory looks familiar to me.  The ball was pushed into the middle of my forehand strike zone.  This is a familiar ball that I have practiced against a number of times - I can either give this ball slow spin or rip this ball for a winner.  I can put it to the forehand with sidespin wide or loop it down the line easily.  This particular opponent tends to counterloop anything I place to his forehand so I loop with sidespin short and wide to his forehand.  The options are largely because I am on time.  I also know I can make this shot in my sleep, so the quality of the shot is dictated by my opponent.

Example 3:  I am in a rally and my opponent pops the ball up.  When I was lower rated, my first instinct would have been to rush to that ball and smash it as hard as I can.  But I now have options and the ball is so slow that I subconsciously process them.  I wait for my opponent to commit and then I try to see where I should go - I can hit the ball hard, or hit it soft and wide, or hit the ball insideout etc - all options because I know that I don't have to jump on the ball to make the shot.

So Mark, what you have to convince your students is that better players play faster largely because they can read the opponent more easily and not because they are hitting harder shots per se.  And what your students need to to is learn to play at a comfortable enough pace that they can take time to read the play better with practice and experience.  The reason I gave two examples on the serve is that serve, receive and third ball are primarily where it is easier to train and play faster because they are controlled situations.

The biggest mistake players make is to think that jumping on the ball all the time is how to play faster.  Or that looping hard to a higher rated player is the only way to give them trouble.  IT's quite possible that you have no chance, but if you do, it will be by making plays that they find hard to read, which may involve hitting the ball hard, but only when you are on time to the ball and have that option to do so consistently or what you are doing is what you do at a high rate in practice.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

You can hit the ball as hard as you want, but if you don't read the ball/play properly, you will usually be late to the ball,

Yep, this is very true, but there is something to add to it, maybe NL, you have noticed this too.  Something I notice a lot (also with myself), is that when you are late seeing the ball and getting to the ball, you end up rushing your shot!  You sometimes have to really force yourself to wait for the ball.  Another one of the paradoxes of racket sports. 

Eric Owens used to hammer this into me.  "You have more time than you think you do".  It may be the most useful thing he ever taught me.

Rushing tends to lead to a bad shot selection.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 3:35pm

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

You can hit the ball as hard as you want, but if you don't read the ball/play properly, you will usually be late to the ball,

Yep, this is very true, but there is something to add to it, maybe NL, you have noticed this too.  Something I notice a lot (also with myself), is that when you are late seeing the ball and getting to the ball, you end up rushing your shot!  You sometimes have to really force yourself to wait for the ball.  Another one of the paradoxes of racket sports. 

Eric Owens used to hammer this into me.  "You have more time than you think you do".  It may be the most useful thing he ever taught me.

Rushing tends to lead to a bad shot selection.

Yes, I have and I am also guilty of this as well.  It's actually logical for most players to feel in trouble when playing in situations they have not practiced and being late to the ball is one of them.  What you have to realize is how much danger you are in and it is rarely as much as believed.

Usually, the first step I use is to let them loop the ball from below the table or on the fall pretty early.  This helps because they are usually used to taking the ball on the top of the bounce or above net height and they don't realize that looping is supposed to make that more moot.

Of course, over time, it is best to have them practice all kinds of shot being late to the ball so that they get a feel for that timing and realize that you don't have to scoop the ball just because it is dropping and that out of position shots also create incoming trajectories for the opponent that the opponent finds unfamiliar and hard to deal with.  The most important thing is to get your body into a relatively balanced position from which you can play a stroke whose feel is familiar.

I am a believer that you should not beat up yourself for missing shots which you do not practice on a regular basis and people should not underestimate the complexity of making an unfamiliar table tennis shot.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/12/2015 at 3:38pm
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic