Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Follow up - Blocking Flat Hits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Follow up - Blocking Flat Hits
    Posted: 01/21/2016 at 1:15am
Tonight I got a chance to play all three of the players whose flat hits give me so much trouble.  I still am not happy with the overall results, but I did do much better than I normally do.  I really focused on trying to make sure that I had some forward motion on every block and that did result in returning more than half of the balls I was able to reach.  However, I never really seemed to take quite enough of a stroke to make the returned balls a real threat so I still lost most of the points.  I seem to tense up as soon as I see that big backswing from my opponent and lose the ability to make a fluid forward stroke.  But maybe with more exposure to the fast flat kill I will get better at making a real counter stroke.  The other thing that still bothers me is the number of balls that went by me so fast that I did not get a blade on the ball (often past me before I even reacted with a backswing to the proper side).  I am thinking that I must be getting stuck too close to the table during the pushing phase therefore just do not have enough time to respond.  I probably need to get back out a little more when pushing starts and also I need to work on getting back some extra distance as soon as I see the attack coming.

I did get a chance to watch a visiting player try to deal with these same flat hits.  He used to be the number 1 player at the club, but now only comes rarely.  When he got stuck close to the table he did seem to have almost as much trouble with those shots as I did.  However, I did notice two major differences in his ability to deal with these players.  First, his pushes seemed much more difficult for them to attack.  They had to wait longer to get in their attacks and often he was able to open before them.  Secondly, he often was able to take the flat hit much farther away from the table than I do.  Partly because as a 2 wing looper he does play a little more back than I do.  But also he seemed to be able to get an extra step back before they could execute their hit which gave him more time.  At the greater distance he was often able to loop back their hits with considerable spin. 

So in summary:
1) I will keep working toward using more of a true counter-hit stroke to return these shots. 
2) I will work on getting an additional half-step back off the table once the first deep push or topspin is played.
3) I will investigate the footwork I seem to be missing to get that extra step back once I recognize the flat kill is coming.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.  I will keep working to implement them

Mark
Sponsored Links

schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2016 at 7:32am
I missed the first thread about this, but I had a lot of difficulty with that kind of ball as I was developing.  My old coach Shao Yu gave me a nugget of advice that goes hand in hand with the first point in your summary.

Emphasize the follow through on all of your strokes against these kind of balls.  The ball is most like a no-spin ball and if you are uncomfortable with an incoming no-spin attack, freezing up/choking/half-strokes will be the end of you, just like with any other no-spin ball (serve, push, chop, block, etc).  The same principle has also helped me overcome my fear of junk rubbers early on too.

Ultimately though, flat-hits are a risky shot which is why you don't see many world-class players employing them against each other.  In match play, you can also solve this problem by taking away his opportunities to flat-hit.  Improve the quality of your shots leading up to where the flat-hits would give you trouble (push quality, ball placement, loop depth, etc.) and you'll find you won't even need to deal with such shots as much because he'll be hesitant to flat-hit or make an error.

Distance from the table simply depends on your play-style, but personally I wouldn't change my comfort zone or play-style to accommodate them, otherwise they will already have the advantage forcing you to play a game you are not accustomed to.  Ma Lin fell victim to this against Liu Guoliang in the WTTC 1999 - he was clearly uncomfortable with Guoliang's flat hits/smashes to the point where he is practically forced to lob every other point when he'd much rather be at the table.

Edited by schen - 01/21/2016 at 7:49am
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2016 at 1:54pm
Thanks Schen,

Good point about not getting out of my comfort zone on the playing distance.  I use short pips on the Bh so that makes it even more of an issue if I get too far back.

What I was referring to was a tendency to getting stuck playing at my serve return distance (where the paddle is right at table edge or just over it in the ready position).  When I watch better players they all seem to return and as soon as a long ball is played (or looks like one will be played) they move back at least so that their paddles are clearly a foot or so behind the end-line in the ready position.  Of course some move farther than that.

What are your thoughts on a reasonable minimum distance off the table once the short game is over (rally starts)?

Mark

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2016 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Thanks Schen,

Good point about not getting out of my comfort zone on the playing distance.  I use short pips on the Bh so that makes it even more of an issue if I get too far back.

What I was referring to was a tendency to getting stuck playing at my serve return distance (where the paddle is right at table edge or just over it in the ready position).  When I watch better players they all seem to return and as soon as a long ball is played (or looks like one will be played) they move back at least so that their paddles are clearly a foot or so behind the end-line in the ready position.  Of course some move farther than that.

What are your thoughts on a reasonable minimum distance off the table once the short game is over (rally starts)?

Mark

Again, schen's point remains that whatever you retreat to has to be where you primarily rally from. It doesn't matter precisely where as long as you practice playing there enough or just by chance play great from there.

I used to play at a distance that some considered too close and I have spent time trying to develop a game at a slightly deeper distance. But I am developing it. So I don't have a problem adjusting my playing distance. If you just decide to start playing there and still practice at a much closer distance, you are going to lose points for a while and may never make up the deficit unless the march experience is sufficient for learming.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic