FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Videos of me playing - any tips?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Videos of me playing - any tips?
    Posted: 02/09/2016 at 6:45pm
Hi,

I have edited this post and linked my second video on the first post - if anyone has any criticisms of my game, or would like to point out strengths, that would be very helpful.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by SmackDAT - 03/18/2016 at 5:35pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Sponsored Links

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2016 at 6:50pm
Oh, I'm the chinese guy in the black/red shirt, btw.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 11:02am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Hi everyone,

This is the first time I have posted a video of me playing - this was a video of me playing Senior British League against a good opponent - losing 3-1. 

This guy was on fire when I played him and seemed to be hitting every loop imaginable LOL and then there's typical me complaining about every ball I miss Pinch

I'm definitely not the best player, so I would like to ask you guys for your opinion on tips for improvement. This was the last match of the day, so I wasn't playing 100% (nor was a focused 100%), but any observations about my game would be appreciated.

Hopefully if this works out, I'll upload more videos of me playing.

Skip to 2:20 for the match (sorry about the terrible cameraman!)

Thanks,

SmackDAT.

Your serves tend to drift a bit long, and aren't fast enough, so that allowed your opponent to seize initiative on your serves.

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 11:09am
Best tip I can give: buy a tripod.
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 11:48am
SmackDat,

It seems like whenever your opponent pushes to your backhand, you hit your opening loop crosscourt into his backhand 90% of the time.  Why hit your opener to the middle of his backhand right where he's standing when you can make him move by playing down the line or at his elbow?  

Here is what happened the one time I saw you play your opening backhand down the line:

Now here is a more tipical point from your match:

Which of the two makes more sense to you?

Edited by Ringer84 - 02/10/2016 at 11:53am
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 12:10pm
Nice match. I didn't read the whole post and was going to suggest the English guy sitting near the camera or recording the match had good suggestions. But I guess everyone in the room probably has a British accent. Good luck with the rest of your matches!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 12:55pm
What was all the laughing about? Is there some history behind this match? 
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Hi everyone,

This is the first time I have posted a video of me playing - this was a video of me playing Senior British League against a good opponent - losing 3-1. 

This guy was on fire when I played him and seemed to be hitting every loop imaginable LOL and then there's typical me complaining about every ball I miss Pinch

I'm definitely not the best player, so I would like to ask you guys for your opinion on tips for improvement. This was the last match of the day, so I wasn't playing 100% (nor was a focused 100%), but any observations about my game would be appreciated.

Hopefully if this works out, I'll upload more videos of me playing.

Skip to 2:20 for the match (sorry about the terrible cameraman!)

Thanks,

SmackDAT.

Your serves tend to drift a bit long, and aren't fast enough, so that allowed your opponent to seize initiative on your serves.

Thanks for the suggestion, definitely didn't play tight enough in this particular game. Especially against a player who is a power looper, where it is essential to get in first.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 3:57pm
Smackdat,

For someone as young as you are, the main thing I would change is that you pushed way too many serves and you attacked the ball repeatedly into someone standing ten feet off the table.  The blocks should have been shorter and wider, and the returns of serve should all have been much more aggressive, and all the attacks should have been wider as well.  You probably have better strokes than I do but you have no guarantee of beating me playing that way.  You have to fight more for the first attack.

Getting wiser about placement and mental skills usually begins when you realize that your power is not getting you what you need.  For learning adults, this begins at a much earlier age than someone like you.

But the first thing to address is pushing all those long serves.  You are way too young to be doing that.  Have one of your teammate serve to you all serves for 30 minutes to random locations all over the table and you must loop everyone or let it double bounce if short.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 5:15pm
2 things;

You are giving up the table way to easy. Even when you take the initiative, you step away from the table.

Reaching instead of moving. Keep moving at all times.
The holy grail
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 6:50pm
You've got all the good moves and you have some bad ones as well. I am sure you can see that yourself. The only serious remark I was going to make shares Speedplay's opinion-you tend to back off after every next ball. Try to resist this urge and work on your lateral moves. Think seriousely about this
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 6:51pm
Damn, am I serious.....
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 7:59pm
Thanks for the replies, I will definitely work on staying closer and moving more.

Here is another video from last weekend against a top 40 UK Junior (which I just managed to win):

https://youtu.be/upjDHtzRiGQ

If the problems are consistent, then please point them out, or any new faults in my game.

Thanks again everyone.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 8:19pm
I'm in that video! hah, hah.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2016 at 8:47pm

Thanks for the replies, I will definitely work on staying closer and moving more.

Here is another video from last weekend against a top 40 UK Junior (which I just managed to win):

If the problems are consistent, then please point them out, or any new faults in my game.

Thanks again everyone.

You have a nice game.  Like others have already said, you could definitely work on better/aggressive return of serve on your backhand, better serves to prevent attacking loop returns, and just work on more consistency in your counter-driving game.

But, another thing I noticed .... Your venue is actually in the infield of a velodrome!  Very interesting.  I've never seen such a thing before.  Smile 
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2016 at 4:37am

Thanks again everyone.

One big difference that stands out is much better mental game. Unlike in the first video, you paid no attention to the reaction of your teammates after each point, and concentrated on your match. Much more positive play this time.

Edited by vvk1 - 02/11/2016 at 12:27pm
andras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2016 at 5:05am
I'll just note that I think is very important.
In each game both you and your opponents do NOT short game .
Learn to serve short- changing back spin heavy and not spin ,
 taking care of the placement
of the service so as to move the opponent is the easiest way to take the initiative .
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2016 at 6:20am
It isnt a critic , but look carefully,count and you will see what I saw-the ratio of the points lost when away from the table to the ones you won when being closer.
Nice game though
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2016 at 10:11am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Thanks again everyone.

One big difference that stands out is much better mental game. Unlike in the first video, you paid no attention to the reaction of your teammates after each point, and concentrated on your match. Much more positive play this time.

Agree here, good videos Kevin. All I can say is in the first match is the mental aspect perhaps of having the video or your teammates cheering you on took your focus away from the match a bit. Your opponent remained relatively focused throughout, and when points werent coming as easy, you probably felt a bit of pressure with the camera and maybe your teammates energy/reaction changing a bit.

I like the flat hitting you do, ever consider using pips on your backhand? It seems suitable for some of the blocks and strokes you do. Twiddle onto the forehand on the high shots and those forehand flat smashes you do will be practically un-returnable Big smile

Timo Boll CAF Penhold
Donic Bluegrip R1
Andro Hexer Grip SFX
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2016 at 10:27am
Watching the second vid was more informative.

Main issue for me is that you don't vary the placement of your FHs. It seems once you get in a rally you tend to keep hitting it cross court. Your opponent was taking advantage of this after awhile and would change direction which threw you off. I think this is in part why you lost most of the mid distance rallies. So I think you should concentrate on your FH placements. The most neglected placement is to the middle of the table from a wide angle. For example if you are hitting the ball from the wide FH practice aiming to the middle at the persons torso instead of always trying to go wide. Same thing with the BH or the FH hit from the BH corner. Next placement would be up the line more. Try hitting no more than two FHs to the same place for awhile.

One thing I really like are your copies of pro serves like the ML BH serve, which I am amazed he fell for so many times. You must have really good deception or he is really bad at receiving it. My favorite is the Micheal Maze serve thoughClap

Edited by V-Griper - 02/11/2016 at 10:29am
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2016 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Are you one of the umpries? Tongue
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2016 at 7:07pm
Bump - linked second video on the first post. Any analysis of the video will be welcome.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2016 at 12:43am

Hi,

I have edited this post and linked my second video on the first post - if anyone has any criticisms of my game, or would like to point out strengths, that would be very helpful.

Thanks everyone.

funny moment in the background at 14:45
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2016 at 7:31am
great game, just be more positive on your backhand, just a bit flat footed on service returns
and pick the right hand side of the table first 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2016 at 8:17am
Did you model your game based on Kong Linghui? Your style is really similar to his btw. Your BH is amazing in the blocking and countering game, it is so solid and like a brick wall (if I were your opponent I would have directed all attacks to the middle to FH side just to avoid your BH). Now you lose a lot of points attacking with the forehand (you tend to miss the 2nd or 3rd attack), so that is something to work on! Also you go diagonal lines with your FH almost all the time, try to mix it up with some down the line shots (the few times where you went down the line you almost always won the point). I think you could also experiment with more sidespin and nastier angles on your attack (exiting the sides of the table). But otherwise a very impressive and solid game that you have there!
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 12:13pm

Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Are you one of the umpries? Tongue
Tinykin has umpired one of my matches before, he's a Bluecoat.
The Older I get, The better I was.
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 1:19pm
 I don't think there are many players on this forum that are at your level or higher, so you won't get much valuable advice on here.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

I don't think there are many players on this forum that are at your level or higher, so you won't get much valuable advice on here.
Hi rocketman222, are you sure about that? 

I thought that there are/were quite a few high level players on this forum - of course I am just assuming, but since many users have fast equipment and such, I would have guessed that their level would be quite high. And also I don't think my level is that high - I do many quite a few unforced errors when pushed by strong players.

Besides, if I can't get (valuable) advice here, where else can I get it online? LOL 

Out of curiosity, what would you estimate me and my opponent's rating in USATT? I posted a thread about this previously, but since there is no rule of thumb in converting TTE ranking to USATT, it would be interesting to know what fellow forumers think.

- SmackDAT
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 5:15pm

What an uninformed statement ! The OP shows a TT England rating of below 600, meaning there are plenty of players here to give him advice.
The Older I get, The better I was.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

What an uninformed statement ! The OP shows a TT England rating of below 600, meaning there are plenty of players here to give him advice.
True - although I don't play any senior tournaments since I'm still a junior, so my "real" playing level would be around 150-200, as I have beat quite a few players ranked around 150. Nevertheless, the statement is probably still uninformed.

Edited by SmackDAT - 03/13/2016 at 6:01pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic