Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Developing "touch"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Developing "touch"
    Posted: 02/17/2016 at 5:17pm
Just wondering if anyone could guide me on developing a better touch in the short game? Are there drills? What should I focus on?

Edited by JohnnyChop - 02/17/2016 at 5:20pm
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Sponsored Links

heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2016 at 5:50pm
Here's something I invented several years ago using a robot. Try to hit the ball in the container. Could be worthwhile, but I'm not sure. Note that I don't usually have access to a robot and haven't really performed this drill since. 

MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2016 at 6:00pm
Focus on feeling the ball through your blade's handle. Have a soft grip on the handle when making contact. Take note of the spin of the serve. If it's backspin, I typically make very light contact, catching mostly side, but also a little bit of bottom too. I've also been known to neutralize the incoming spin by hitting the same contact point/angle as the server, except I roll the ball back. Essentially, if given backspin or side, I'll use the same motion, but with much less racket speed, yielding a return to server with very little spin. Some players spin the ball back with a hard push. For me, those balls go deep and give the opponent opportunity to attack.

I believe Brian Pace has a Dynamic video on YouTube about using the short game to set up the loop.

Sensitivity of rubber and softness of blade also come into effect in short game play.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2016 at 6:10pm
Practice game where all shots have to be short unless someone really pops one up. When that happens kill.

When I think "push short" I tend to hit the ball too high since I use an arching trajectory to land ball short. Now instead I try to think "soft and low". Result is not quite as short but stays lower and even if it does go off end of table most times it can not be attacked strongly. Usually it must be spun up instead of hit.

Good luck

Mark
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2016 at 6:18pm
Touch develops with frequency of practice and (sadly) continuity of equipment (EJs need not apply).
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2016 at 6:32pm
blocking for a heavy looper helps you develop soft hands that can soak up pace.  that's different from short game touch.

as stated, touch is one of those things that's primarily gotten from sheer table time. Some basement players who don't know how to play at all still have very good touch simply from playing a lot. I don't know that it's something that can be specifically drilled in.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2016 at 10:39pm
One thing important; if you stretch your arm out to reach for the ball, you will have no touch whatsoever in the short game. 

You need to get your whole body in and take the ball closer to your body so your arm is relaxed.  Only then will you have touch (you will be using smaller motor units to make the shot, in physiological terms).

But then, you have to make special efforts to get back after the shot!

Reaching kills touch (reduces motor control) on all shots.
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2016 at 4:00am
Actually, counter-hitting practice can enhance touch a lot!! Aim to go for 200, 300, counter-hits. Also, play games where you can serve backspin, and push. Lastly, practicing looping against a chopper. 
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2016 at 3:52pm
Thanks guys I had an inclination that more table time against various opponent is the only real way to go!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 5:07am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

One thing important; if you stretch your arm out to reach for the ball, you will have no touch whatsoever in the short game. 

You need to get your whole body in and take the ball closer to your body so your arm is relaxed.  Only then will you have touch (you will be using smaller motor units to make the shot, in physiological terms).

But then, you have to make special efforts to get back after the shot!

Reaching kills touch (reduces motor control) on all shots.

Yes, head as near to the ball as possible with right foot under the table ( right hander)
The Older I get, The better I was.
zettalith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zettalith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 11:25am
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

...Lastly, practicing looping against a chopper. 

I definitely agree with this statement. I had a friend that dramatically improved his game and touch by just practicing with a chopper about 5hours a week. As for me, I have gradually gotten better touch over the years but there is still so much room for growth.
IFL ZLC,Rasant g,Rasant g
YEO,TG2,T64
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic