FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Advice for Attacking Lobs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice for Attacking Lobs
    Posted: 02/19/2016 at 12:34am
So this has been a long-running embarrassing problem for me ever since the first time I picked up a racket... I cannot reliably smash against high quality lobs with a respectable amount of power for an adult male, let alone consistency Cry.  By high quality lobs, I mean spinny lobs that land deep on my side of the table and kick every-which-direction.

Fortunately for me, I rarely play opponents under 2200 that are capable of lobbing well in matches and I can hide my smashing weakness by playing drop shots or touchy nonsense, but I inevitably lose whenever a good lobber is across the table from me... and I'd like to stop doing that.

For now, I just wait for the ball to drop and just loop it back, but I'd like to be able to actually smash the ball like I see many higher level players do.  But regardless of attempted loop or smash, I have a high tendency to mis-hit or completely whiff the lob...  Thumbs Down.  I miss off of the table more frequently than I net the ball, but both problems show up frequently.

A couple questions off the top of my head about this:
- Is it better to keep the racket high and swing forward or try to swing at the ball in a straight line to the table (I seem to only be able to do the latter when the ball lands relatively shallow on my side of the table) or something else?

- Is there a "correct" jumping form to attack very high lobs?  Every time I try to do this it's just a gamble and it feels very awkward.

- What are some other guidelines or tips for keeping my smashes more consistent?

Bonus question - how do you even lob effectively/consistently in the first place??  Confused

About me - I am a USATT 1979 rated 5' 9" cpen attacker with rpb and inverted rubber both sides (see signature... yes I switched back to penhold after 6 months of shakehand chopping with short pips).  

Edited by schen - 02/19/2016 at 12:34am
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 1:14am
I like to hit the ball on the rise off a lob. You need to be careful about the spin. I like to give myself enough room to be able to step into the ball as take it on the rise. Since ball is rising, I don't have to swing that hard to generate power - so I focus on reading the spin and making clean contact - hardest thing to do is to slow down the swing. 
I am not sure about cpen though - most cpen players at our club also have issues with lobs - not sure why as I play shakehands grip. Video of how pro's handle lobs!

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 1:23am
The key for me is to keep my feet moving.  Too many players stop moving when they see the lob coming and when it spins off to the side they are standing flatfooted and can't get into position to make a good shot.

I also try to keep the ball to the lobbers backhand.

Be very patient.  Too many players get frustrated when some of their smashes get returned and try to really kill the next lob and usually miss the table or whiff the ball.
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 8:22am
When your opponent starts lobbing, he's pretty much yours so wait for the ball patiently while getting into position. Unless you're playing Mizutani himself, don't hit on the rise.

As mts388 said, the key thing is what you do with your feet. You will naturally want to twist your core while hitting but a planted pair of feet will make that movement awkward. You can fix this by pivoting on your left foot, and let the core dictate where your right foot should land (assuming you are a right hander). Some players like to jump into the pivot, you can come down on the ball with a bit more power that way.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 8:54am
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

So this has been a long-running embarrassing problem for me ever since the first time I picked up a racket... I cannot reliably smash against high quality lobs with a respectable amount of power for an adult male, let alone consistency Cry.  By high quality lobs, I mean spinny lobs that land deep on my side of the table and kick every-which-direction.

Fortunately for me, I rarely play opponents under 2200 that are capable of lobbing well in matches and I can hide my smashing weakness by playing drop shots or touchy nonsense, but I inevitably lose whenever a good lobber is across the table from me... and I'd like to stop doing that.

For now, I just wait for the ball to drop and just loop it back, but I'd like to be able to actually smash the ball like I see many higher level players do.  But regardless of attempted loop or smash, I have a high tendency to mis-hit or completely whiff the lob...  Thumbs Down.  I miss off of the table more frequently than I net the ball, but both problems show up frequently.

A couple questions off the top of my head about this:
- Is it better to keep the racket high and swing forward or try to swing at the ball in a straight line to the table (I seem to only be able to do the latter when the ball lands relatively shallow on my side of the table) or something else?

- Is there a "correct" jumping form to attack very high lobs?  Every time I try to do this it's just a gamble and it feels very awkward.

- What are some other guidelines or tips for keeping my smashes more consistent?

Bonus question - how do you even lob effectively/consistently in the first place??  Confused

About me - I am a USATT 1979 rated 5' 9" cpen attacker with rpb and inverted rubber both sides (see signature... yes I switched back to penhold after 6 months of shakehand chopping with short pips).  

First things first, there is nothing wrong with being unable to smash lobs consistently if you don't practice it.  Even world class players have problems with this.

The most important thing is to be side on to the table and always moving your feet to adjust.  Reaching will cause you problems.

The less tacky the rubber the better.  Take the ball later if the ball has more spin.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 9:25am
Absolutely nothing wrong with "drop shots or touchy nonsense"!!!!
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 10:01am
Some lobs are just hard, i don't care who you are. Usually i crush high balls so hard that they crack when they hit the table. But. When our coach lobs the ball bounces at the end of the table and it is so high that I can't get on top of it. It also kicks sideways and I have to make last second adjustments. I lose a lot of these points and yet I still think I am very good in killing high balls. Some lobs are just difficult to kill, and I know this and don't get upset when I lose a lobbing point.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 10:02am
The smash stroke vs lobs is never used in any situation other than smashing a lob. My thought is overhead smash as in tennis. If your more experienced with volleyball than tennis, think spike. As soon as you recognize the ball will land deep with topspin, begin to back peddle so that you can move forward when you smash.

Here's a point from my match with Adam Bobrow at the 2009 US Open. 
Note that I move early to where I think the ball will be struck, not to where the ball meets the table. 
Note also that Adam is wearing the same Santa shorts that he wears in the recent post of his Westside RR match vs Lu Guo Hui  

Edited by heavyspin - 02/19/2016 at 10:06am
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 10:33am
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

It's not easy to smash high ball with PH grip. Even Ma Lin changes to SH grip to smash high lob balls, so maybe you should try it too.

There are some common mistakes when dealing with high ball, which I don't think you do, as your USATT indicate you are quite a good player already.

The common mistakes are getting to the ball too early or too close, and they have to look up to see where the ball is going, and miss. What they should do is tracking the ball early, guess where it's going, then move in and hit, not moving-in while still tracking the ball. Another mistake is the racket is at a low starting position, so this mean the stroke will have to go up, then hit down, which is very hard to do with a high bouncing ball. The racket should be at high starting point, so you only need to step in and hit the ball down. All kids have problem hitting high balls, and I remember my coach had us work on these 2 things that I mention. This was many moons ago though

Da Baobei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Baobei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 11:01am
It's risky to do a jump-smash. You lose stability and tire out faster, although it can work sometimes.

I think it's better to step back and take the ball at around shoulder height. It's very hard to hit a winner on a deep spinny lob so focus on placement rather than power. It can be tempting to hit them full power on the rise or kung fu jump-smash them but try to be patient and wait for a shorter ball.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 11:17am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-mCPEiTr8

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 11:56am
I think if you are under 2000 you shouldn't even try dropshot. There is no practice for this, you need to be pretty good to have that kind of touch. Also, you can't dropshot high and deep lobs.... dropshot is more feasible near the net or at least the middle of the table.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

I think if you are under 2000 you shouldn't even try dropshot. There is no practice for this, you need to be pretty good to have that kind of touch. Also, you can't dropshot high and deep lobs.... dropshot is more feasible near the net or at least the middle of the table.

But on the other hand, most U2000 can't punish weak drop shots, right? They'll get them back but it's a nice change of rhythm. Also saves your stamina and burn theirs since you make 'em run. Of course the hard part is to land the drop and gotta be careful vs. someone athletic and fast on their feet...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 1:59pm
"There is no practice for this, you need to be pretty good to have that kind of touch."

Well, you defeated your own argument there Victor. The chance to practice a drop shot from a lob is indeed a rare opportunity, which makes it a golden opportunity to practice it when you can. Why wait until you're rated 2000?!?

FdT
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 5:21pm
The standard smash starts low, goes up and then down.  Same for both penhold and shakehand whether it is done on the ascend or descend.  The swing trajectory goes like the script letter l.

For ceiling high lobs, there is a standard jump smash in which you plant your non-racket leg with the bounce of the lob, then bend your racket leg up and hop to carry out the smash.

Try to be patient and don't go all-out on power.  Form often breaks down when hitting full-power.  Hit with 80% of maximum power.  Add some brushing contact.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 6:34pm
Thank you all for the tips and videos, I'll look them over and give them a shot this weekend!
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 10:02pm
Andrej Gacina smash at 0:45 and and a nearly identical one from Chuang Chih Yuan at 2:20

Edited by Lestat - 02/19/2016 at 10:06pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"There is no practice for this, you need to be pretty good to have that kind of touch."

Well, you defeated your own argument there Victor. The chance to practice a drop shot from a lob is indeed a rare opportunity, which makes it a golden opportunity to practice it when you can. Why wait until you're rated 2000?!?

FdT
Well how did I defeat my argument? If you attack it at least tell me what's wrong with it. I don't see anything inherently contradictive.
As for trying stuff before you reach 2000 - I am all for it - try whatever makes you skip. However in my observation, you can occasionally see a 15-16-17x00 swing some crazy shot and make it, but never have I seen a low rated player make a beautiful stop-touch / drop shot. Unlike looping, where you can practice a correct stroke, this is like not even a stroke, but a really good hand eye coordination and touch. This is very difficult to develop on low level in my opinion, and since my TT time is limited I prefer to invest my practice hours in something with higher returns.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2016 at 12:18pm
 I have seen plenty of sub 2000 players doing drop shots. And doing them well. It does take practice. In any case I defeated your argument.

In any case, Seemiller's advice is good here, keep the opponent moving not only side to side from close and away from the table.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2016 at 2:34pm

I have seen plenty of sub 2000 players doing drop shots. And doing them well. It does take practice. In any case I defeated your argument.

In any case, Seemiller's advice is good here, keep the opponent moving not only side to side from close and away from the table.

in any case in any case... It's not even important who is right here. What I was saying that you never made an argument. In other words you never said why that was so and so. So in NO case you have defeated anybody's point without making an argument. 
As for you having seen many sub 2000 doing drop shots, i realize that what you've seen has the same weight as what I've 'seen', and yet I call you a liar. Not even one, but many. Looks like you don't feel uncomfortable to lie do defend your position, and I don't respect that.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2016 at 7:44pm
"I think if you are under 2000 you shouldn't even try dropshot. There is no practice for this, you need to be pretty good to have that kind of touch. "

This is what you said. Which is pretty stupid. How does a 2000 rated player get to be a 2000 rated player if he avoids practising advanced shots and and waiting until he gets a rating of 2000? It really is a stupid statement. You yourself admitted "there is no practice for this". I did explain this also: "The chance to practice a drop shot from a lob is indeed a rare opportunity, which makes it a golden opportunity to practice it when you can." Yet you completely ignored my argument. You seem to have the reading skills of a three year old. Go back to my post and re read.

IN ANY CASE, and I will repeat this, Dan Seemiller gave good advice on this. He says to keep moving your opponent not only from side to side but close and away from the table. And one way to do this is via drop shot.

FdT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2016 at 8:21pm
OK, i will try this one last time, although at this point I fear that you either lack the intellectual capacity to understand the concept of argument, or lack the integrity to talk to the point of discussion and keep moving the goal posts.

I have seen plenty of sub 2000 players doing drop shots (1). And doing them well. It does take practice (2).

In any case I defeated your argument (3).

If you want to prove somebody wrong you need to find some contradiction in their argument with some facts of reality. You state 1 , 2, and then ALREADY you go to 3 (meaning that 1 and 2 must lead to 3). But you haven't pointed to any fault of my argument, only a CLAIM that YOU HAVE SEEN something. Other that becoming a LIAR, because you certainly haven't seen many U2000 who do that, you achieve nothing to attack my point. Again, from a logical perspective, it doesn't matter if I am right or not, because your statement has NO BEARING on my claim. I have seen pigs fly. What can I attack with this? 
Now go to school and don't talk to me for a week. 
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2016 at 8:35pm
I've seen sub 2000 players doing drop shots and other difficult techniques. According to Victor I must be a liar as well though because it is 100% impossible for a low level player to have a few good shots in his/her arsenal. Is this a debate forum where internet trolls pretend to be the most well educated person on the planet to touch a keyboard?? 
<3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2016 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by hidasjoki hidasjoki wrote:

I've seen sub 2000 players doing drop shots and other difficult techniques. According to Victor I must be a liar as well though because it is 100% impossible for a low level player to have a few good shots in his/her arsenal. Is this a debate forum where internet trolls pretend to be the most well educated person on the planet to touch a keyboard?? 
According to you, are you on topic? Is this the point of my post? Exactly what motivates you to jump in this with a complete distortion of my post? What exactly are you thinking, lets make it all about him calling other liars, and that will distract the attention that the other dude didn't even make a point and yet punched his chest victoriously? What exactly are you trying to achieve, getting into this with your deliberate distortion? 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2016 at 8:52pm
can an admin close this 
or 
delete all posts from me, fulanodetal, and this last little guy, 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2016 at 9:38pm
yes, deleting ALL post by Victor would a much welcomed breath of fresh air.
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2016 at 1:24am
"and this last little guy" ..... lol Clap Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with that tough guy.
<3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic