Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looper hitter but better at chopping.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
el luchador View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looper hitter but better at chopping.
    Posted: 03/11/2016 at 1:10pm
My ideal style will be looping/ blocking.

BUT, I am finding that I can win against people who are slightly better than me if I chop a lot during the game. it slows the game down , and slows the attacks because people my skill level are not that good at returning chop balls. its funny because Im left handed so its a lot of forehand chopping (close to the table ) against right handed players but traditionally, choppers chop with the backhand.

I have a butterfly grubba pro all- blade which I don't like because it vibrates a lot and is slow as molasses BUT, I think it would work great for a defensive setup.

I am also in my mid 30s and significantly overweight (almost 300 lbs)

so , I would like to be a looper/blocker but I win more games with chopping.

should I focus my attention on chopping or should I work on becoming a better looper.

thanks
Do or do not, there is no try- Yoda
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2016 at 2:00pm
Become a chopper and blocker.  You will be less prone to injuries and will win more.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2016 at 2:06pm
At your age and level you should pick a style that you like to play.  You are not likely to get to a national team level no matter what style you choose so just do what you enjoy doing the most.  You are more likely to practice and therefore improve if you do something you like doing.  Maybe you are naturally one of those "all-around" players who can do a lot of different things.  This can be very effective if you can learn to see what your opponent does not do well against and then switch to that style. 

It is always a trade-off.  The more different types of strokes you use the more practice time you must put in to bring them all up to a particular level.  However, if you have a lot of different strokes you can hit you can often find one, even if it is only executed at a lower level, that will give a particular opponent lots of trouble.  This is particularly true against players below the USATT 2000 rating who almost always have parts of their game much weaker  than others.  But no matter what you decide, you will only start winning consistently against the level of players that just barely beat you  when you improve the level of all the strokes you use.  If 1000 level players beat you then your strokes need to come up to a certain level of execution before you beat them.  Once you are there you will need too improve those strokes even more to beat 1400 level players.  And improve them even more to beat 1800 level players.

Most important thing is to have fun.

Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2016 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Become a chopper and blocker.  You will be less prone to injuries and will win more.

thanks for that . I do love that line of thinking as I do enjoy winning :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el luchador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2016 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

At your age and level you should pick a style that you like to play.  You are not likely to get to a national team level no matter what style you choose so just do what you enjoy doing the most.  You are more likely to practice and therefore improve if you do something you like doing.  Maybe you are naturally one of those "all-around" players who can do a lot of different things.  This can be very effective if you can learn to see what your opponent does not do well against and then switch to that style. 

It is always a trade-off.  The more different types of strokes you use the more practice time you must put in to bring them all up to a particular level.  However, if you have a lot of different strokes you can hit you can often find one, even if it is only executed at a lower level, that will give a particular opponent lots of trouble.  This is particularly true against players below the USATT 2000 rating who almost always have parts of their game much weaker  than others.  But no matter what you decide, you will only start winning consistently against the level of players that just barely beat you  when you improve the level of all the strokes you use.  If 1000 level players beat you then your strokes need to come up to a certain level of execution before you beat them.  Once you are there you will need too improve those strokes even more to beat 1400 level players.  And improve them even more to beat 1800 level players.

Most important thing is to have fun.

Mark

hey thanks for the advice. I like winning so if I can do that Im happy getting better at chopping but I like your idea of becoming a better allaround player.

I start getting lessons next week and I am excited to get my technique down.

Im signing up for two hours a week. is this enough to start seeing some improvements quickly?

thanks
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2016 at 5:22pm
Well, you don't see too many fat choppers! :p

Gotta be pretty mobile at a decent level to chop back fast returns and from all angles.

I suffer the opposite problem! I like to chop and chop, but the games I win come from fast attack close to the table loops and power blocks.  
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2016 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by el luchador el luchador wrote:

BUT, I am finding that I can win against people who are slightly better than me if I chop a lot during the game. it slows the game down , and slows the attacks because people my skill level are not that good at returning chop balls. its funny because Im left handed so its a lot of forehand chopping (close to the table ) against right handed players but traditionally, choppers chop with the backhand.

I have a butterfly grubba pro all- blade which I don't like because it vibrates a lot and is slow as molasses BUT, I think it would work great for a defensive setup.

should I focus my attention on chopping or should I work on becoming a better looper.

thanks
You will be outclassed by higher level players if all you do is chop. If you plan to play at a higher level, you must either do what you suggested - loop and counter style game, or switch to a modern defensive style (difficult for less mobile players though).

That being said, there is absolutely no problem with developing a heavy push/chop to incorporate in your game - just don't rely on it too much and use a variety of strokes.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2016 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

thanks
You will be outclassed by higher level players if all you do is chop. If you plan to play at a higher level, you must either do what you suggested - loop and counter style game, or switch to a modern defensive style (difficult for less mobile players though).

That being said, there is absolutely no problem with developing a heavy push/chop to incorporate in your game - just don't rely on it too much and use a variety of strokes.

I think that gets bantered about too much. Realistically speaking, is he ever going to reach a level where classical defense is going to be limiting? 

I've seen plenty of defenders (who can barely put away a 3 foot high float ball over the table) be the best players in their clubs and win various tournaments. 

If you want to be a top end pro, I'd agree. But for the quality of play this guy will most likely face... hmm?! 
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2016 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

thanks

I think that gets bantered about too much. Realistically speaking, is he ever going to reach a level where classical defense is going to be limiting? 

I've seen plenty of defenders (who can barely put away a 3 foot high float ball over the table) be the best players in their clubs and win various tournaments. 

If you want to be a top end pro, I'd agree. But for the quality of play this guy will most likely face... hmm?! 

Well, classical defence can work against players of his maximum potential level bracket. What I'm trying to get at is that you must be very good at classical defence relative to a modern defender to expect the same kind of results - at least at the level I play at. Example: there is one classical defender who plays in local League in his 40s who has played for at least 20 years with the style, and often has to fight against players who have less skill and experience.

The style will become ineffective at a lower level than you think it does, unless the player is incredibly proficient relative to the proficiency of attackers and modern defenders that he/she plays.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic