Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Last set(5th,7th sets) game plan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last set(5th,7th sets) game plan
    Posted: 04/10/2016 at 2:59pm
Tried looking for threads addressing this, but did not find much, so here it goes

What is your general game plan for the decision set(say you are tied 2-2 or 3-3), and any tips that you use

• Do you play more conservatively or more aggressive?
  • Do you bring out any special serves?
  • Whats your preferred state of mind for the last set?
I m asking this cause i have been losing tournament games that go to the last set and could use any tips that you guys have
Sponsored Links

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2016 at 3:51pm
I think one of the keys is awareness of what has actually been happening in the match.  How have you been winning points?  How have you been losing points?  Has your opponent adapted to tactics that won you points earlier in the match? 

On a more detailed note, things like which serves are giving your opponent trouble and which ones he is handling well.  Is your opponent possibly over-anticipating your placement on certain tactics so that he might be vulnerable to a slight change in placement tactics?  Is your opponent predictable in any of his placements on certain shots that you might be able to anticipate to your advantage?  Is your opponent more vulnerable to a slow spiny opening than a fast one? 

In summary
1. Try to do more of the things that won you points earlier in the match
2. Try to not do things that lost you points earlier in the match
3. Be aware if opponent seems to have adapted to a tactic that worked early on but now is losing you points and adjust it accordingly
4. If you opponent has been using a particular tactic very effectively try to come up with counter tactic or just be more ready to respond to that tactic.

You can use the time in the towel breaks to try to make quick mental notes of what has just happened in the previous points for future reference.  At the end of each game try to make some mental notes on the items mentioned in the summary that you can use later in the match.

Mark - Who wishes he would take his own above advice more often in matches
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2016 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Tried looking for threads addressing this, but did not find much, so here it goes

What is your general game plan for the decision set(say you are tied 2-2 or 3-3), and any tips that you use

• Do you play more conservatively or more aggressive?
  • Do you bring out any special serves?
  • Whats your preferred state of mind for the last set?
I m asking this cause i have been losing tournament games that go to the last set and could use any tips that you guys have

There s a scientist in the chinese team who makes reasearch for the chinese team and claims you should be aggresive until the #5 point then 5-8 you should be consistent then 8 to 11 agressive again.player who makes the point #5 wins 80% of the matches
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2016 at 4:17pm
@mjamja, mark those are very wise words, awareness of what is working and what is not, especially when you have no coach or another player watching over your match and advising you during breaks.

@bbkon, there is definitely a lot of truth in that, i agree that the player to first reach 5 usually wins the game, and in matches that i lost in the last set, i ended up on the other side of that, i try to be aggressive in getting to 5 and then i end up missing a lot of shots and the result is my opponent reaches 5 before me.
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2016 at 4:40pm
Very nice tips, guys. I often lost in the last set, too. I tend to play too safe, sometimes from the beginning of the last set or at few last points, and I often lost when I did that.

I think you must consider/read what your opponent is trying to do and how well he is doing it as well. That's what I think people call read the game and adjust. If he is playing aggressively, making mistakes/unforced errors, you should play safe. If he is playing aggressively and don't make many mistakes, you have to play more aggressively. You have to adjust after each point, it's like a mind game, I think that's what all the top players do and what makes them better or worse than each other.
heplayslikearobot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heplayslikearobot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2016 at 1:56am
The first thing is to calm down and breathe. This will help you think and play better so you can not only make the right choices but also not be tense.

You need to reflect on the game. What made you win points? What made you lose points? It's all about analyzing the game and adjusting your tactic. By this time, you should have found bad habits or parts of his game to expose. 

Another thing is risk taking. Basically, if you're down, playing normally/safe (statistically speaking) will basically give away the game because playing at the normal standard, you're losing in terms of points and more likely to lose points. Taking risks increases your chance of winning and losing to the point where your opponent has no real control over the ball and you're the only one really dictating if the ball is going to go out or not, depending on if your shot goes in. Playing safe against good players just won't work; they are too consistent. Playing risky also puts your opponent in somewhat of a bad mental state. At least getting a few points back and losing rather than just pushing will surely make the opponent think ''thank god''. This can be incredibly important for upcoming games.

The whole risk concept was an idea from Liu Guoliang in an interview. I basically summed up what he said; when you're down, taking risks is essential and the best thing to do.

Edited by heplayslikearobot - 04/11/2016 at 1:58am
Sent from my iPhone
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2016 at 3:52am

@mjamja, mark those are very wise words, awareness of what is working and what is not, especially when you have no coach or another player watching over your match and advising you during breaks.

I think that is the first and biggest issue.  It's not easy to play a match and coach yourself.  Matches that go 5 games tend to turn on the small things and this is where coaching or insights from someone else is most valuable.  If we go strictly by the book, you need to appoint your one and only coach before the match begins.  In practice, it is helpful if you have a friend or passerby watching to ask what they think.

It is helpful to record one's matches as that helps you develop a tactical mindset as you review the match.  It also gives you a chance to revise your view of what actually happened as the result or your feelings at the time of playing may have biased you to see things in an extreme way. IT's easy to believe you choked when you missed a high ball when you simply did not have the technique to kill it consistently, to give an example.  

One of the things I learned rewatching my matches against good servers was to stop letting my missing their serves affect my play on my serve and to give myself the whole match to develop an antidote to the issue.  I don't think I would ever have arrived at this conclusion without videotape, as it was only after watching a few such matches that I realized that I always got better at returning the opponent's serves, even if only to stay in the point, but usually had let my past misses get me to a point where I was going for too much on my own serve points.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2016 at 1:38pm

@bbkon, there is definitely a lot of truth in that, i agree that the player to first reach 5 usually wins the game, and in matches that i lost in the last set, i ended up on the other side of that, i try to be aggressive in getting to 5 and then i end up missing a lot of shots and the result is my opponent reaches 5 before me.

The guy is called zhang xiaopeng did a lot of research and he designs the training drills of CNT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic