Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryu Seung Min Instructional Translation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
b3nhold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3nhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryu Seung Min Instructional Translation
    Posted: 04/11/2016 at 8:30am
I have never understood the dialogue in the Ryu Seung Min Instruction videos, although I have watched them many times.

https://youtu.be/xwieeP1QC0k

I was wondering if there are any Japanese forum members who could translate parts of it that may be of use.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
JPen player.
Sponsored Links

coffeeholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2016 at 2:45pm
I only caught the first 5 minutes. I'll see if I can remember to come back to do some more. Also, I am translating the player's response (in Korean) since I do not speak Japanese :)

1. he shows his general grip

2. short grip: thumbs out, extra support on the back with fingers stacked; return using a pushing motion

3. stance: knees slightly bent; he doesn't think there is a perfect angle, but just bent so you can move freely and lightly; important that you keep loose and allow your body freedom to move around naturally

4. forehand drive: start lower and strike sooner; waiting any longer will turn into loop play; as stated earlier, stay loose and keep in rhythm with leg movement. since you don't know where the ball will come next, and opponent loops can drop pretty fast, it's important to maintain rhythmic movement to get the right timing to hit the drive

5. loop drive: the goal is to keep the ball in contact with the racket as long as possible; think of it as you are wrapping the ball with your racket; it is still a fast hit, but also with the goal of maintaining the longest amount of contact time during that short time

to be continued... hopefully :)

Tibhar Samsonov Alpha | Yasaka Rakza 7 | Xiom OmegaIV Euro
Rubbers don't offer control. YOU are the control!
b3nhold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3nhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2016 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by coffeeholic coffeeholic wrote:

I only caught the first 5 minutes. I'll see if I can remember to come back to do some more. Also, I am translating the player's response (in Korean) since I do not speak Japanese :)

1. he shows his general grip

2. short grip: thumbs out, extra support on the back with fingers stacked; return using a pushing motion

3. stance: knees slightly bent; he doesn't think there is a perfect angle, but just bent so you can move freely and lightly; important that you keep loose and allow your body freedom to move around naturally

4. forehand drive: start lower and strike sooner; waiting any longer will turn into loop play; as stated earlier, stay loose and keep in rhythm with leg movement. since you don't know where the ball will come next, and opponent loops can drop pretty fast, it's important to maintain rhythmic movement to get the right timing to hit the drive

5. loop drive: the goal is to keep the ball in contact with the racket as long as possible; think of it as you are wrapping the ball with your racket; it is still a fast hit, but also with the goal of maintaining the longest amount of contact time during that short time

to be continued... hopefully :)

Thankyou for your information. This was quite beneficial and I can't wait to put extra things into practise. I will try and be more relaxed and just focus on timing as mentioned above.

If you are a Korean speaker, you may be able to get more information out of this video. It has the smash and drive (no other shots I don't think) but he seems to be quite detailed on both. It is potentially a more enlightening video as he is coaching amateurs and goes over what they ARE doing and what they SHOULD be doing so in practise you may be able to work out what you are doing wrong.

Again all in Korean, so I can't understand a word. Korean learning takes time   

Anyway if anybody can help out I would be happy. By no means any pressure as I'm sure translation takes a good amount of time people don't always have.
JPen player.
b3nhold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3nhold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2016 at 5:35pm

Bonus, for shakehanders he also gives a demonstration. 2 in 1!

If this is one of a series and you know of the other videos then that would also be useful.

/Ben
JPen player.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic