Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drop down vs straight back backswing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drop down vs straight back backswing
    Posted: 05/13/2016 at 2:07pm
When watching a group of players do Fh to Fh counters during warm-up I have noticed 2 distinct styles of backswing.  In one style the first movement has the racket drop almost straight down by straightening the arm and letting the elbow move slightly back so the arm hangs almost vertically.  Then the body turns (rotates).  And finally the racket is lifted up by bending the arm at the elbow until the forearm is about horizontal.   The forward swing is completed by rotating the body forward and lifting (with the upper arm) the elbow slightly.  These movements overlap slightly so that there is a certain circular quality to the swing.  In the other style the first movement is the racket moving out (to right handed players right) and back.  This is done mainly by rotating the body, but the upper arm can also be moved back a little as well.  There is very little vertical movement of the racket.  Although the racket moves in a quarter-circle motion, from the opposite end of the table it appears to be moving almost in a straight line.  The forward swing is done by rotating the body forward.  Effectively the backswing and the forward swing travel on the same path but in opposite directions.

The first style, drop down, really looks awkward.  It seems to have a lot of extra movement, racket down then up and straighten arm then  bend arm, in the backswing.  The straight back swing looks much more efficient.  However, when watching better players counter back and forth at high speeds, the drop down method seems to keep up perfectly well with the straight back method.

When the players start to loop the relative efficiency of the two backswings seems to switch.  The drop down method seems much more fluid and natural.  The straight back method now has to add a down component and an upward adjustment motion to get into position.  Additionally, if the player is trying to get the arm whip action he has to time the straightening of the arm with the incoming ball so he can then have a good "elbow snap" action.  From the little experimentation I have done it also seems that in the drop down method the blade angle naturally adjusts to a more closed looping position while with the straight back method I have to consciously rotate the wrist/forearm to set the angle.

For those of you have taken any of the coaching certification courses, I was wondering if they suggested teaching one method over the other, taught both methods, or if I am completely imagining that 2 methods exist?  If they discussed the 2 methods what are advantages/disadvantages of both?

Mark 
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 2:23pm

AKA tl;dr

Last but not least, my findings in a long forgotten thread.

Edited by zeio - 05/13/2016 at 2:45pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

When watching a group of players do Fh to Fh counters during warm-up I have noticed 2 distinct styles of backswing.  In one style the first movement has the racket drop almost straight down by straightening the arm and letting the elbow move slightly back so the arm hangs almost vertically.  Then the body turns (rotates).  And finally the racket is lifted up by bending the arm at the elbow until the forearm is about horizontal.   The forward swing is completed by rotating the body forward and lifting (with the upper arm) the elbow slightly.  These movements overlap slightly so that there is a certain circular quality to the swing.  In the other style the first movement is the racket moving out (to right handed players right) and back.  This is done mainly by rotating the body, but the upper arm can also be moved back a little as well.  There is very little vertical movement of the racket.  Although the racket moves in a quarter-circle motion, from the opposite end of the table it appears to be moving almost in a straight line.  The forward swing is done by rotating the body forward.  Effectively the backswing and the forward swing travel on the same path but in opposite directions.

The first style, drop down, really looks awkward.  It seems to have a lot of extra movement, racket down then up and straighten arm then  bend arm, in the backswing.  The straight back swing looks much more efficient.  However, when watching better players counter back and forth at high speeds, the drop down method seems to keep up perfectly well with the straight back method.

When the players start to loop the relative efficiency of the two backswings seems to switch.  The drop down method seems much more fluid and natural.  The straight back method now has to add a down component and an upward adjustment motion to get into position.  Additionally, if the player is trying to get the arm whip action he has to time the straightening of the arm with the incoming ball so he can then have a good "elbow snap" action.  From the little experimentation I have done it also seems that in the drop down method the blade angle naturally adjusts to a more closed looping position while with the straight back method I have to consciously rotate the wrist/forearm to set the angle.

For those of you have taken any of the coaching certification courses, I was wondering if they suggested teaching one method over the other, taught both methods, or if I am completely imagining that 2 methods exist?  If they discussed the 2 methods what are advantages/disadvantages of both?

Mark 
Dropping the arm more creates loops with more spin and less speed, straight back backswing creates loops with a more direct nature, and less spin in general. Need I say more?

Edited by SmackDAT - 05/13/2016 at 2:40pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 2:43pm
:)

Edited by slevin - 05/13/2016 at 2:44pm
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 3:13pm
mjamja,

There are world class players that do it both ways. Wang Liqin used the drop down method when hitting counters:    

Kreanga uses the back-and-forth method, as we can see at 5:24:

So what does that suggest to you and me as sub-2000 level amateurs? That this topic is  way down on the Importance List and you should do whatever is comfortable for you.

Edited by Ringer84 - 05/13/2016 at 3:17pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 3:19pm
Last but not least, my findings in a long forgotten thread.

thanks interesting link and discussion
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 3:38pm
The question is not about what I am going to do.  It is about how I should be coaching beginning students.  I was wondering if the ITTF coaching courses favored one method over the other or even if they addressed the issue at all.

Right now I tend to favor teaching the straight back method since it is what I learned and what I do.  I think it is a little simpler to get people (especially adult beginners) to execute.  However, I have run across a player or two who have great difficultly in looping the ball when I try to change them from counters to loops.  They seem to always make too solid of contact.  I was wondering if maybe I was creating problems for them by starting with the straight back approach to their counters.

Mark
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 3:46pm

The question is not about what I am going to do.  It is about how I should be coaching beginning students.  I was wondering if the ITTF coaching courses favored one method over the other or even if they addressed the issue at all.

Right now I tend to favor teaching the straight back method since it is what I learned and what I do.  I think it is a little simpler to get people (especially adult beginners) to execute.  However, I have run across a player or two who have great difficultly in looping the ball when I try to change them from counters to loops.  They seem to always make too solid of contact.  I was wondering if maybe I was creating problems for them by starting with the straight back approach to their counters.

Mark

The reason why the first method works so well is that forearm snap tends to close the racket regardless of how the racket starts out.  In a sense, I agree with Ringer - just do what works for you.  But in another sense, I find the method of recovering close to the body better because it facilitates my elbow position and forehand to backhand transition better.  So I would strongly advocate you learn bringing in the racket back to ready position in a way that facilitates your forehand to backhand transition.

Your student issues are related to other things.  You have to do things to convince them about how the inverted surface works.  I like to force them to take the ball on the fall or show them myself that I can loop balls below table height with brushing contact.  Beginners tend to think line of sight force, not spin arc and dip.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 4:04pm
Next Level wrote "Your student issues are related to other things.  You have to do things to convince them about how the inverted surface works.  I like to force them to take the ball on the fall or show them myself that I can loop balls below table height with brushing contact.  Beginners tend to think line of sight force, not spin arc and dip."

Been there, done that, didn't help.  That is what has me looking for other possible solutions.

Mark
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 4:19pm

Next Level wrote "Your student issues are related to other things.  You have to do things to convince them about how the inverted surface works.  I like to force them to take the ball on the fall or show them myself that I can loop balls below table height with brushing contact.  Beginners tend to think line of sight force, not spin arc and dip."

Been there, done that, didn't help.  That is what has me looking for other possible solutions.

Mark

If it didn't help, how did they get the ball to arc onto the table without making proper contact?
Cybershape Carbon
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 4:39pm
NextLevel wrote "If it didn't help, how did they get the ball to arc onto the table without making proper contact".

They don't get the ball to arc or land on the table.  They hit line drives that either hit the net, clear the net about 1/2 ball height and are devastating winners, or clear the net by more than 1/2 ball height and continue to sail harmlessly off the end of the table.  The winners are about 1 in 5 in practice and about 1 in 10 in match play.

Again, the fact that they just can not seem to figure it out despite my extensive efforts makes me wonder if I am really doing something wrong in my coaching.

Mark
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 5:07pm
Thanks a lot for this thread Mark, Its helping me understand my forehand much better!
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 5:11pm
My thoughts on this are that....
  1. Use the straight arm back down method when you are lifting backspin, since you have more time and you need that extra lift.
  2. Use the other one when you are driving back topspin/nospin balls, since you don't need that much lift and you mostly want to perform the shot in time

Edited by rocketman222 - 05/13/2016 at 5:12pm
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 5:16pm

NextLevel wrote "If it didn't help, how did they get the ball to arc onto the table without making proper contact".

They don't get the ball to arc or land on the table.  They hit line drives that either hit the net, clear the net about 1/2 ball height and are devastating winners, or clear the net by more than 1/2 ball height and continue to sail harmlessly off the end of the table.  The winners are about 1 in 5 in practice and about 1 in 10 in match play.

Again, the fact that they just can not seem to figure it out despite my extensive efforts makes me wonder if I am really doing something wrong in my coaching.

Mark

Maybe this person has a low education level...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 5:17pm

Mark

Then get them to do it until the mind adapts.  You overestimate the role of the coach.  You keep on looking for things.  There are many brushing exercises.  You can also make them break their rackets on a spinning wheel until they figure it out.  But you have to get it into their head that until they figure it out, they will never get better beyond a certain point.  Getting beginners to appreciate the value of spin is the second hardest thing I have to teach.  The hardest thing is getting adult beginners to stop being so focused on putting the ball on the table.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

My thoughts on this are that....
  1. Use the straight arm back down method when you are lifting backspin, since you have more time and you need that extra lift.
  2. Use the other one when you are driving back topspin/nospin balls, since you don't need that much lift and you mostly want to perform the shot in time

IT's more to use 1 every time (with a few exceptions for rapid anticipation and blocking), but without looking at what is really happening when a player does option 1, it is hard to explain that the player is not striaghtening the arm so much as returning to ready position and keeping his rotation tight.  The straightening is slow and doesn't complete itself until the ball is near, which is when the real stroke and the acceleration begins.
Cybershape Carbon
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 5:59pm
This excerpt, zeio, is a fine example of 2016 science fiction, but what has it to do with table tennis? 

Do you use the drop down or straight back and forth method when you forehand counter?  I used to be a straight back and forth guy when countering with inverted, but I'm not about to argue with Wang Liqin.

There are many roads to table tennis nirvana for players whose main stroke is the loop drive; just be sure that at ball contact your shoulder, upper arm, forearm, wrist and racket do not form a straight line.  Also, if you're a right-hander, do not let your backswing go left of your right butt cheek before beginning your forward motion.  The opposite is true, of course, for left-handed players.

Faffrd
The Grey Mouser
Fritz Leiber Jr.

Edited by berndt_mann - 05/13/2016 at 6:10pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2016 at 11:43pm
I tell players that the stroke should go in a straight line from the start to the end of the stroke and  hit the ball in the middle of the stroke.  That's as simple of an explanation as I can give them.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2016 at 1:45am

Mark
Mark, you've taken training from Stellan, can't you adapt that?

Assuming you're working with beginners and recreational players under 1000, then here is what I do:

1) I emphasize going from front to back and not dropping the paddle at all.  The goal is consistency and dropping the paddle adds a lot of complications to timing your hit on the ball.  In point of fact, you don't need to drop the balls to generate decent spin; just close your paddle more and increase your racket speed. People who hit very flat shots (no arc) usually have their paddle too open.

2) To me, the hardest thing to teach is the body rotation instead of using the shoulder, something I think you also struggle with.  And once you get them thinking about body rotation, then people tend to lose their backswing (cut it short) and then overswing their follow-through (swing around to the other side of their head or body).  So I try to correct that while working on the body rotation.

3) If I can get them to make good body rotation at a moderate pace of hitting, then I working on brushing the ball.  The emphasis is on a small snap of the forearm. I tend to put less emphasis on the exact mechanics for adding spin and more on getting them to visualize brushing the ball.

4) To expand upon he idea of increasing spin, we can do drills where people move away from and closer to the table, to spin balls off the bounce, on the top of the bounce, and after the top of the bounce.

5) Once the student gets to work on these steps, then I work on footwork, moving the ball around.

Keep the mechanics as simple as possible for the beginners.  If someone wants to learn more complicated motions later, they should have a professional coach to guide them.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2016 at 3:18am
I think the recovery pattern is a very individual choice. There are players from one end of the spectrum to the other in terms of the recovery pattern. 

What I find is that players with the "drop down" method tend to have more fluid FH's that are more stable and powerful (for e.g. Wang Liqin, Ryu Seung Min), while players with the "straight back" method tend to have faster, more explosive and hard to read forehands (Ma Lin, Zhang Jike). But there are also those who take the middle ground such as Ma Long and Fan Zhendong. 

Nevertheless, the most important part of the FH counter is firstly the mechanics (core rotation, forearm snap), as well as the control of the ball contact, arc and placement. The recovery pattern is highly individual and it is not really that important. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2016 at 4:42am
I find it is often a mistake to be too strignebt when.classifying forehands, but this is especially true for the top Chinese. What marks them more than anything else is a diverse approach to forehand technique, with the ability to use shots on third ball or easy balls that are markedly different from those used to rally.This likely extends to their stroke recovery patterns as well.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2016 at 11:45am
I think if you actually think about stuff like this while you're playing, you will be stiff as a board.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2016 at 11:51am
Nah, Mark is pretty smooth, FWIW.  The only issue is that what he is actually doing does not align with what is on his mind.

Edited by zeio - 05/14/2016 at 11:57am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2016 at 12:03pm
Read this.  It is very old now.  Maybe even a bit dated, but still a classic.

https://www.amazon.com/Inner-Game-Tennis-Classic-Performance-ebook/dp/B003T0G9E4?ie=UTF8&btkr=1&ref_=dp-kindle-redirect
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2016 at 12:04pm
Jim Butler also very much recommends this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Ugly-Mental-Warfare-Tennis-Lessons-ebook/dp/B009K5DOTA/ref=pd_typ_k_sp_1_1/185-9225337-5011622?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PEVA422CACKNXDB4345
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2016 at 12:11pm
Baal,

We are learning, not playing. Yes, there are ways to induce such technical changes with lots of practice but sometimes, we have to bring some clarity to the goal. Mark clearly thinks and plays as zeio described (his practice is often far better than his theory) but you do need some theory or an ideao of why something is preferable to something else
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2016 at 12:13pm
BTW, I am speaking as a coach or a thinking/teaching player, not as as player who is just executing.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic