Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

No toss serve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No toss serve
    Posted: 07/18/2016 at 2:28am
Hi forumers,

Can someone please explain to me again exactly where the advantage of the illegal no toss serve?

I played a short pimple player... in one occasion he did a no toss short serve... He did it so beautifully that the ball had double bounced by the time I reached it...

I know this was illegal serve..

But I was in awe on how the ball moved so quick... so low... 

He can't do the short serve that effective if he has to toss the ball...

Also, regardless how my opponent is serving i.e. toss or no toss, I normally move after my opponent's bat hit the ball...  so the 'illegal' benefit must be after he hit the ball.... but what exactly this is? Confused

Thanks
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
Sponsored Links

Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 10:39am
No toss servers should be crushed with maximum amount of offense and humiliation, without regard for their age, gender, or anything else. Very often they are high level and there would be very little investment necessary on their side to adopt a legal serve, but they prefer to play 'uninformed' and take 2-3 extra points every game. I make a point of being extra obnoxious so to make a scene they never forget. I don't even get upset inside as they are not that rare. I just want to extract maximum effect from the scene, try to get everybody watching and finding out what this is about, so the cheater feels uncomfortable even the next match, against a player who doesn't protest. If you understand the decision that those people have consciously made you wont feel bad when you humiliate them. 
ri0t1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ri0t1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

I make a point of being extra obnoxious so to make a scene they never forget.

You Victor, make a scene... No way >.>
Xiom Europe Vegas|FH Tenergy 05|BH:Tenergy 05FX|
mycuzinvinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycuzinvinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 2:41pm
Pongz, I think you hit one of the reasons in your example above, 'timing' for the receiver.  It can be so quick and unexpected for the returner, that it becomes an advantage for the server.  Also, I have seen it where the toss is so low, the hand follows the ball and it becomes lost in site behind the servers hand, another advantage.

I called my opponent on it in league play, kept stopping play, frustrating him.  In the end I forced him to stop his no toss quick backhand serve, and then he called me a cheater for winning the match.  Confused
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 3:29pm
I've observed two kinds of low toss players.  The first is just someone who has played for years and just doesn't care enough to change since he isn't doing much with the serve beyond putting it into play.  These are usually older players who started playing in the '60s or earlier. These players are breaking the rules, but they any advantage they gain by the low toss (not much, if any) is negated by the fact that they don't try to gain much advantage with their serves.

The other kind of player uses a low toss specifically to gain an advantage.  This is frequently from a timing change where they will low-toss/quick serve you at a critical juncture.  You can almost predict it based on the situation.

Aside from the timing change, another advantage of the low toss is that many are actually backwards tosses as well. So they can get more speed and/or spin in addition to the timing change.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 5:18pm
These without a doubt are the worst of the cheating serves! It is the one cheat that I cannot ever improve against and have no interest in doing so.

It cheats the returner from the timing entirely. It also cheats the returner from being able to get a focus on the ball.

wturber is right about the situation and when people tend to do these serves. Only recently have I observed this in my own matches - it's another advantage of having experience.

Most of the time I think it is because they are under pressure and it's just harder to toss that ball up. I could be wrong on that. I did correct one guy after a practice match about his low/no toss serves and he told me to tell him the moment I see them when we play again.

I'm not going to have my league/tourney matches under the eye of a ref most of the time so hiding the ball and extra deception on serves will slip through, however not throwing the ball up gives me no chance at all.

Edited by wilkinru - 07/18/2016 at 5:22pm
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 7:36pm
I recently watched a game in the Australian open between Buddy Reid the recent winner at the World veterans (I think in the over 75's) and a young Australian player, after a few low trow serves Buddy was warned then had a point taken off, the young player then indicated to the umpire to not worry so the rest of the game Buddy just did low toss serves
  So it was acceptable for the current world champion to not to do legal serves because he is older
It not something I worry about ,Im just telling the story
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I recently watched a game in the Australian open between Buddy Reid the recent winner at the World veterans (I think in the over 75's) and a young Australian player, after a few low trow serves Buddy was warned then had a point taken off, the young player then indicated to the umpire to not worry so the rest of the game Buddy just did low toss serves
  So it was acceptable for the current world champion to not to do legal serves because he is older
It not something I worry about ,Im just telling the story

I just took a quick look at some video of Buddy Reid and he seems to fall clearly in that category of being an older player who is not doing much at all to gain an advantage on his serve.  He's mostly just putting the ball in play.  The younger player you referenced understood this and probably because of this and as a deference to Buddy's seniority preferred not to have the infraction penalized.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 8:36pm
Thanks for all the responses so far... Thumbs Up

Though I also feel frustrated with illegal serves such as no toss serve, but my main question is about the 'science' or the 'why'...

I am challenging the assumption that the benefit of no toss serve is about throwing your timing off...

Maybe it is not that simple...

My opponent did not rush the serve, I was in ready position... The ball simply moved/bounced in the air as ideally as possibly from what I can see...

He can repeat the no toss serve quite consistently producing the 'ideal' movement in my opinion, but he can't produce it if he has to toss the serve...

Also, I experiment myself, I also notice my serve is 'better' i.e. lower, quicker, shorter with no toss serve than toss serve...

In these two scenarios, there is no 'throwing your timing off' factor...

Comes to think about it, the only difference between these two serves, one ball is basically stationary whereas the other one was moving downward by gravitation when the ball was hit...

so the ball's movement must make my or my friend toss serve not as effective as  the no toss serve..

If I can understand the mechanic and know how to counter this, my aim is to improve my short serve.. Imagine if we can produce the no toss serve using the toss serve.... if I make sense... 

Thumbs Up

Regards

Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Pongz Pongz wrote:

I am challenging the assumption that the benefit of no toss serve is about throwing your timing off...

Maybe it is not that simple...

My opponent did not rush the serve, I was in ready position... The ball simply moved/bounced in the air as ideally as possibly from what I can see...

He can repeat the no toss serve quite consistently producing the 'ideal' movement in my opinion, but he can't produce it if he has to toss the serve...

Then he has a timing problem himself.  The way to serve fast and long is to hit the ball at a low height.  the less the ball is moving vertically, the easier it is to do that.  So yes, a low toss serve will help a player do that.  It makes it a little bit simpler to time the ball contact.  But no, it isn't necessary.

Also, I experiment myself, I also notice my serve is 'better' i.e. lower, quicker, shorter with no toss serve than toss serve...

In these two scenarios, there is no 'throwing your timing off' factor...

Sure.  See above.

Comes to think about it, the only difference between these two serves, one ball is basically stationary whereas the other one was moving downward by gravitation when the ball was hit...

so the ball's movement must make my or my friend toss serve not as effective as  the no toss serve..

If I can understand the mechanic and know how to counter this, my aim is to improve my short serve.. Imagine if we can produce the no toss serve using the toss serve.... if I make sense... 

All that is needed to compensate for the very slight vertical speed of the dropping ball is a slightly different difference in racket angle and perhaps speed of contact.  With practice, you should be able to replicate any no-toss serve with a legal 6-8 inch toss.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Then he has a timing problem himself.  The way to serve fast and long is to hit the ball at a low height.  the less the ball is moving vertically, the easier it is to do that.  So yes, a low toss serve will help a player do that.  It makes it a little bit simpler to time the ball contact.  But no, it isn't necessary.

All that is needed to compensate for the very slight vertical speed of the dropping ball is a slightly different difference in racket angle and perhaps speed of contact.  With practice, you should be able to replicate any no-toss serve with a legal 6-8 inch toss.

Thanks wturber...

Your answer does make sense... so in effect you are saying: 

1. my or my friend toss serve was not as low as the no toss serve...
2. racket angle to compensate the vertical speed... so to produce short no spin ball, I should open the racket to hit the ball more horizontally?? 
3. speed of contact to compensate vertical speed means maybe to loosen up the finger??

Is that right?

Comes to think about it, I do have different stance for no toss and toss serve... I normally bent lower for no toss serve...  maybe I should try the same stance to see any difference...

Thanks

Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2016 at 1:19am
Timing is the most obvious advantage gained from no toss serves, but not the only one.  With a serve that has no vertical motion it becomes much easier to disguise the difference between top and bottom spin serves.  I've seen players use no-toss serves and they can generate very different spins with no visible change in  the serve motion.  It's just so much easier with no toss than with a falling serve.

I also think its' easier to disguise the length (short, half-long, long) of the serve when there is no toss.
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2016 at 1:41am
In my personal experience, and I have become quite sensitive to this issue, the people with the no toss serve are always aware that the rules require a toss. As a matter of fact they have no problem serving with the toss; they just lose serve quality. These are people with rotten morals. Sometimes I exaggerate, but in this case I am not. Rotten morals: they consciously take the decision to cheat and get more points. I mess with them even when I don't play. They deserve no mercy, they deserve insults and humiliation and to be turned into example. You know, for one thing the Balkans are better than Americans - we have no manners and very low tolerance for this kind of sh1t. Americans are ALWAYS avoiding confrontation. 'He is an old man'.. I don't want to hear it! Have some balls for once in your life! Go confront somebody! 
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2016 at 6:09am

No toss servers should be crushed with maximum amount of offense and humiliation, without regard for their age, gender, or anything else. Very often they are high level and there would be very little investment necessary on their side to adopt a legal serve, but they prefer to play 'uninformed' and take 2-3 extra points every game. I make a point of being extra obnoxious so to make a scene they never forget. I don't even get upset inside as they are not that rare. I just want to extract maximum effect from the scene, try to get everybody watching and finding out what this is about, so the cheater feels uncomfortable even the next match, against a player who doesn't protest. If you understand the decision that those people have consciously made you wont feel bad when you humiliate them. 

Wow, you are my new hero in table tennis!!
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2016 at 8:46am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Timing is the most obvious advantage gained from no toss serves, but not the only one.  With a serve that has no vertical motion it becomes much easier to disguise the difference between top and bottom spin serves.  I've seen players use no-toss serves and they can generate very different spins with no visible change in  the serve motion.  It's just so much easier with no toss than with a falling serve.

I also think its' easier to disguise the length (short, half-long, long) of the serve when there is no toss.

Absolutely agree... I am trying to understand the reason behind it.

At least, these are the differences between my no toss and toss services:

1. Much lower stance, initial ball's position is on my eye level for no toss
2. Much less hand movement for no toss. 
3. Much shorter initial distance between my bat and ball
(Actually sometimes, I just tap the ball for no toss and it looks good and effective to my eyes.)
4. Much less 'information' is given to the opponent due to 2&3??

Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2016 at 8:47am
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

Wow, you are my new hero in table tennis!!

I can see your point Victor Smile
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2016 at 3:58pm
With the discussion of intentional no toss serves, I want to point out that unintentional no toss serves area also frequent.  What I've observed in a great many cases is that people who toss the ball for their normal short serves will suddenly do no toss when using their long fast serve.  For the under 2200 crowd, I would call this a very common problem.  And usually they are completely unaware of it (because all their other serves do have a vertical toss).

When I point this out to people in tournaments, they genuinely seem unaware of it.  They also seem genuinely unable to add a toss to their long fast serve (at that moment, in that match; I'm sure they could learn with practice).
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2016 at 9:44pm
I see your point... 

Some serves like the backhand or tomahawk serves probably fall in this category too... It is easy not to toss the ball high enough with these kind of serves... 

some people just toss the ball very low and drop their palm... so it looks like a legal serve... but it is not legal...

Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic