FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Sealing a Clipper CR?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealing a Clipper CR?
    Posted: 07/21/2016 at 8:43pm
I always seal my blades, including my Allround CR and OC-CR.   I don't hesitate sealing those CR blades for the following reasons:
1.  Stiga blades prone to splinter
2.  If I do a bad job and the surface becomes harder (hence faster), I don't care because they are not that fast.

Now, I try my friend's Clipper CR.   It has a very sweet feeling (it's not sealed btw).   I am thinking of getting one, but I hesitate to seal it for the following reasons:

1.  The one that I borrow now is not sealed and it gives very good feeling.  I am afraid that sealing will diminish the good feel.
2.  It is a quite fast blade.  If I do a bad sealing job, it will be too hard and too fast.

Should I seal Clipper CR?
Will it splinter if I don't seal it?

Many thanks.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
Sponsored Links

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2016 at 11:34pm
I've never had splintering problems with any of my clipper CRs (6 or so in total), so I don't think you need to worry about that.

That said, one thin layer of zissner shellac doesn't seem to change the feeling of the blades I've used it on, and with water-based glue in mind I think it can help protect the blade - I regret not sealing a few of my older clipper CRs because WBG seemed to have made the outer plies "soggy" over time.  
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2016 at 5:58am
Seal it. Just do one layer, max two. You will not feel the difference.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 8:04am
It´s a must to seal any Stiga blade, unless it has it´s annoying barnish coating like RW series.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 11:02am
As long as you are using good glue (easy to peel off) like Revolution no3, you should not have any problems if the blade is not sealed. Sometime if your blade is sealed depending on the glue you use, it might not hold as good as non sealed surface will.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 7:56pm
Thank you All for your kind input.

I think I will seal it thinly. Stiga Blades tend to splinter.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 10:33pm
I visited a nearby store and I changed my mind of getting a Clipper CR (at least for now).   The stocks that they carry, all show really awful QC.

First it feels a bit hollow (not firm as my friend's blade) and quite flexible.
Weights are around 95 grams and above (not really a problem actually).
One of the blade has the tag not properly attached.
Limba grain is awful and all the blades have knots (one or two on both sides).
One particular blade looks soggy (can see lots of tiny wood fibers sticking out).

Wow, I know that Stiga has rather bad QC, but all copies of their blades look like that?

I think I will wait for the next batch.  Hopefully I don't change my mind.

As a matter of fact, for around twice the amount of money, I checked Nittaku Barwell and oh boy, what a beauty.  It is expensive but it is quite justified, considering the quality.

But I just read the other thread, about a member who complains because he got defective Nittaku blade.   I guess nowadays, it is rather hard to get a good quality blade.

I remember also, current BTY Korbel is not as nicely built as my old Korbel.  I wonder why....
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 8:14am
Wow. Able to examine a blade in a store. You are fortunate!
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2016 at 10:59am
When I bought Gergely for my son, because I am fuzzy about the weight, the seller let me take all their stock of 6 (or was it 8 ?) home for a few days because the seller did not have an accurate scale. I weighed them and chose two blades, paid it and sent back the rest. But then of course I am a regular and frequent customer.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2016 at 11:06am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

When I bought Gergely for my son, because I am fuzzy about the weight, the seller let me take all their stock of 6 (or was it 8 ?) home for a few days because the seller did not have an accurate scale. I weighed them and chose two blades, paid it and sent back the rest. But then of course I am a regular and frequent customer.

that must be quite some time ago. nowadays the gergely is very hard to findUnhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic