Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TT Psychology- more important than all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rosecitytt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TT Psychology- more important than all
    Posted: 07/22/2016 at 8:11am
It's a pity players focused a lot on paddle, rubber, hitting form, etc. But it seems mental stability. or psychology plays a big roll in tournament match outcome.  I have seen people get angry here on forum very easily, and use "A**", "F***" words.
In real tournament even at low level, I have seen examples, one player can not get over a net ball or edge ball, and BIG fail eventually.

Here is an good example, of HUGH playing in Nationals (like Round16)

Darker Speed OEM 10mm Jpen
FH:Beijing Swords
RPB:Tenergy 05 2.1
Sponsored Links

The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2016 at 10:48am
I miss Dianne on the circuit another good junior who left for whatever reasons...one of the fiercest cadet/junior ...with a "never give up" attitude. (even though she gave up ...lol)

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 07/22/2016 at 10:49am
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by rosecitytt rosecitytt wrote:

It's a pity players focused a lot on paddle, rubber, hitting form, etc. But it seems mental stability. or psychology plays a big roll in tournament match outcome.  I have seen people get angry here on forum very easily, and use "A**", "F***" words.
In real tournament even at low level, I have seen examples, one player can not get over a net ball or edge ball, and BIG fail eventually.

Here is an good example, of HUGH playing in Nationals (like Round16)

This looks to me like you are simply building a narrative.  How do you know how much this affected Judy?  Did you interview her or her coach or are you simply making inferences?  If you do have additional info, it would be good to include it in the video.

At 1:30 of the video you mention her body language.  Frankly, I see no problem with expressing emotional disappointment through body language ... for a moment or two.  The key is not to let such expressions dominate.  It is fine to fully experience the frustration so long as you quickly move on.  In fact, I think letting yourself own the emotion is a great first step toward getting it out of your head.  It is when you don't move past the emotion that you have a real problem.  Your video doesn't show her body language and if it adjusts after her reaction.  IMO, that would be important to know.

In short, while I agree that psychology and managing emotions and quickly getting over things like nets and edges is important in table tennis, I don't think you've made much of a case that Judy Hugh did a poor job of that here.  After all, she did win the match. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2016 at 5:25pm
Rosecitytt enjoys building these narratives. At this point, I presume he either ales the videos or knows the person who makes them closely. I am not a fan of the overall sensationalism of relatively straightforward TT but to each his own.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2016 at 5:55pm
The horrible shrieks of Jiang were more notable, btw...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2016 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Rosecitytt enjoys building these narratives. At this point, I presume he either ales the videos or knows the person who makes them closely. I am not a fan of the overall sensationalism of relatively straightforward TT but to each his own.

So, I went to random.org and generated a 12x12 bitmap of truly random black and white pixels. It had 71 black and 73 white pixels. I tallied the pixels left to right and then top to bottom by row, assigning pixels as a "score" for player White and player Black depending on the pixel color.  The tallies were grouped as though they were table tennis scores.  Here's the match I got.

11-9, 11-9, 11-7, 8-11, 9-11, 5-11, 6-11

Wow!! Black was dominating with a 3-0 lead. With such a commanding lead, Black probably relaxed a bit in game four and allowed White to win a game.  Bolstered by this win, White gains confidence and manages to win a close game 5.  Black is now dismayed and has lost confidence and loses badly  in game six leaving the match tied.  Having been so close in game 4 to winning the match Black is now completely discouraged and tanks again.  The steely nerve, fight and determination of White has won the day while Black has relvealed his lack of psychological strength.

OTOH, maybe it was all just random luck. (Note that I could arbitrarily tally the pixels in vertical columns bottom to top and right to left and would probably get a quite different looking match.)

So what's the point?  Simple.  When you have closely matched players each player could be playing perfectly at the limit of their capabilities and you are still likely to still see large ebbs and flows due to randomness alone.  It may be hard to actually discern points won or lost due to psychology, skill, technique etc. through the filter of this randomness.

Edited by wturber - 07/22/2016 at 6:26pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2016 at 11:48pm
Yes, and this looks convincing at a first glance. However, when the players are not closely matched, the story can be very different. In a tournament game between a better player and a less good player (say 300 rating points difference) when the better player is losing, say at 5:8 (possible) he/she will have all the motivation and skills to support his effort to equalize/prevail while the underdog player has to be doing wonders in order to win (possible, but hard to accomplish). 
The point is that randomness becomes less of a factor in "mismatched" cases. So, the real question is: are the players closely matched? But on what grounds do we reliably make this assessment? 
In fact, it is possible that in a given match the players are always mismatched in some ways. That brings us to the conclusion that randomness as a factor should be eliminated.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2016 at 1:27am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Yes, and this looks convincing at a first glance. 
And second glance and third ... I've done a few of these, and I doubt anybody can reliably distinguish between these "match scores" and real matches.

However, when the players are not closely matched, the story can be very different. In a tournament game between a better player and a less good player (say 300 rating points difference) when the better player is losing, say at 5:8 (possible) he/she will have all the motivation and skills to support his effort to equalize/prevail while the underdog player has to be doing wonders in order to win (possible, but hard to accomplish). 
Agreed.  

The point is that randomness becomes less of a factor in "mismatched" cases. So, the real question is: are the players closely matched? But on what grounds do we reliably make this assessment? 
We use the same kind of criteria that you used for mismatched players -ratings and playing record over time.

In fact, it is possible that in a given match the players are always mismatched in some ways. That brings us to the conclusion that randomness as a factor should be eliminated.
In the sense that players would like to eliminate it, yes.  In the sense that is actually not a factor, no.

All you have to do is to observe the degree of accuracy and repeat-ability of players' shots and to note the presence of unforced errors to understand that there is a fair degree of randomness that adds noise to the skill that players exhibit.  

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2016 at 3:00am
The randomness upon which this whole thread is based is the edge ball.  Like it or not, edge and net balls do affect the outcome of matches. In the video, we are shown one edge ball and two net balls which win points for Jiang, and three net balls which fly long for Hugh.  Perhaps it's not so much randomness but the reality that the game hinges on millimetres; even so, for the players it can seem like luck or fate or the will of the table tennis gods.  From a mental health point of view, randomness is probably a better way to deal with whatever happens.

FWIW, I don't buy the OP's premise that the edge ball affected Hugh for the remainder of the game.  Like Jay, I think this is building a narrative.  Even so, there are occasions when a single edge ball does affect a player's state of mind.

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2016 at 10:22pm
I agree with my predecessors here...
On the other hand, there is a particular serve I do that relies on edging the ball. I stand in the BH corner, pretend to do BH serve to the righty opponent BH, and in the last moment I send it slow/short to his FH aiming at... basically the edge. On a good day it works (= edges) about 60% of the time, I do it maybe 6-7 times during the match. Why? Dunno, maybe for fun, but maybe also to upset the opponent a little?
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2016 at 7:41am
I think it's stupid that some people rage about net and edge balls so much.Like when it's 9:10 and the opponent has an edge ball and the player that loses complains that he only lost because of an edge ball.Think about it...if your opponent gets a lucky ball in a close situation you should remind yourself that it wouldn't have mattered if you didn't lose the point before.Yes your opponent got two lucky balls at 9:9 and so?How did he get the other 9 points?If you would have played better those two points wouldn't have mattered.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

The randomness upon which this whole thread is based is the edge ball.  Like it or not, edge and net balls do affect the outcome of matches. In the video, we are shown one edge ball and two net balls which win points for Jiang, and three net balls which fly long for Hugh.  Perhaps it's not so much randomness but the reality that the game hinges on millimetres; even so, for the players it can seem like luck or fate or the will of the table tennis gods.  From a mental health point of view, randomness is probably a better way to deal with whatever happens.

FWIW, I don't buy the OP's premise that the edge ball affected Hugh for the remainder of the game.  Like Jay, I think this is building a narrative.  Even so, there are occasions when a single edge ball does affect a player's state of mind.

Net and edge balls are two clear case of randomness in the game, but there is more randomness than just that.  But that really is another discussion.  My point about bringing up randomness in my example was to illustrate how easy and natural it is to see and build a cause and effect narrative around 100% random events.  It is in our natures to do that. So we should be careful about what we infer when we are missing big chunks of information. Our natural inclination is to make causal connections.

I agree that nets and edges can affect a player's state of mind. So I agree with RosecityTT that it is important to work on your mental game to eliminate or minimize the effect. But I would expect that vast majority of high level players like Judy to be well above average in that area.             
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 2:32pm

I agree with my predecessors here...
On the other hand, there is a particular serve I do that relies on edging the ball. I stand in the BH corner, pretend to do BH serve to the righty opponent BH, and in the last moment I send it slow/short to his FH aiming at... basically the edge. On a good day it works (= edges) about 60% of the time, I do it maybe 6-7 times during the match. Why? Dunno, maybe for fun, but maybe also to upset the opponent a little?

I've tried working on a similar serve, but have never gotten near a 60% rate on edge balls. If I were to improve my success rate, I'd certainly use it.  Such a serve is a developed skill that works within the rules of the game.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 2:47pm
Funny thread. I have no idea what the generic you are taking about in terms of randomness. Table tennis ball movement is physics. Classical mechanics. I may not understand all the variables, but there is nothing random in it. Psychology has less a part than it is given credit. I either play better than my opponent or I do not. In only very rare instances does psychology play a role.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

I think it's stupid that some people rage about net and edge balls so much.Like when it's 9:10 and the opponent has an edge ball and the player that loses complains that he only lost because of an edge ball.Think about it...if your opponent gets a lucky ball in a close situation you should remind yourself that it wouldn't have mattered if you didn't lose the point before.Yes your opponent got two lucky balls at 9:9 and so?How did he get the other 9 points?If you would have played better those two points wouldn't have mattered.

Yup.  He lost partially because of the edge and mostly for other reasons. Even with two back-to-back edge balls, they only represent 10% of the points.  

The idea is to create enough of a gap so that a bad run of luck is unlikely to determine a game or match.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Funny thread. I have no idea what the generic you are taking about in terms of randomness. Table tennis ball movement is physics. Classical mechanics. I may not understand all the variables, but there is nothing random in it. Psychology has less a part than it is given credit. I either play better than my opponent or I do not. In only very rare instances does psychology play a role.

Yes, if you have all of the information about the forces that can affect the ball, then it is 100% deterministic.  But we never have all the information.  In fact we seldom even have most of it. 

From a player's perspective their ability to place the ball in a particular spot has a significant component of randomness.  Place a target on a table and make a large number of attempts to hit the target.  Mark all the spots where you actually land. Those spots as compared to the actual target are an example of the randomness I'm talking about. I suppose you could just as easily call it variability or "degree of precision."

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

VanJr does not realize that the only way I ever beat him is through the use of subtle psychological ploys.  There are subliminal messages on all my TT gear that encourage him to go for all those low percentage winners.  Every time during warm-up that he hits his Bh with wrong technique I compliment him on how much better the Bh is getting.  I pretend to lose track of the score often and always make sure to get it wrong in my favor so that he is distracted from planning his tactics.  I often groan, limp, and otherwise pretend to be infirm in various ways to play on his sympathy as a doctor.

Mark - Phd in TT phsycology

PS - Oops. Did I just say all that out loud.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

So, I went to random.org and generated a 12x12 bitmap of truly random black and white pixels. It had 71 black and 73 white pixels. I tallied the pixels left to right and then top to bottom by row, assigning pixels as a "score" for player White and player Black depending on the pixel color.  The tallies were grouped as though they were table tennis scores.  Here's the match I got.

11-9, 11-9, 11-7, 8-11, 9-11, 5-11, 6-11

Wow!! Black was dominating with a 3-0 lead. With such a commanding lead, Black probably relaxed a bit in game four and allowed White to win a game.  Bolstered by this win, White gains confidence and manages to win a close game 5.  Black is now dismayed and has lost confidence and loses badly  in game six leaving the match tied.  Having been so close in game 4 to winning the match Black is now completely discouraged and tanks again.  The steely nerve, fight and determination of White has won the day while Black has relvealed his lack of psychological strength.

OTOH, maybe it was all just random luck. (Note that I could arbitrarily tally the pixels in vertical columns bottom to top and right to left and would probably get a quite different looking match.)

So what's the point?  Simple.  When you have closely matched players each player could be playing perfectly at the limit of their capabilities and you are still likely to still see large ebbs and flows due to randomness alone.  It may be hard to actually discern points won or lost due to psychology, skill, technique etc. through the filter of this randomness.

This is very probably one of the most interesting posts I have ever read on a sports forum.  Since I deal with stochastic processes all the time it should have been obvious to me but I have never really thought about it before in this context, and in particular it never quite occurred to me what happens when we divide a bunch of random points  into 4 our of 7 games to 11, and how a narrative could be generated from pure randomness.

I think people are programmed by evolution to tell stories in an effort to make sense of the world.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 4:49pm
Having beaten and lost to people with match scores like:

14-12, 6-11, 11-9, 4-11, 11-9.

The point you are making enters my mind all the time, Baal. That's why I respect Ma Long a lot and sometimes shake my head and how much emphasis people place on supposed majors.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I think people are programmed by evolution to tell stories in an effort to make sense of the world.

Exactly! 

You might find "Fooled by Randomness" by Taleb to be an interesting read, and would be in a better position than I am to critique some of his points.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Since I deal with stochastic processes all the time it should have been obvious to me but I have never really thought about it before in this context, and in particular it never quite occurred to me what happens when we divide a bunch of random points  into 4 our of 7 games to 11, and how a narrative could be generated from pure randomness.

The narrative can be even more interesting when you observe the "match" point by point. 

The first time I did this years ago, I simply used a coin toss to create the "match."  

FWIW, I got the idea when I read a bit (probably Taleb) about how if you ask one group to put a series of 100 random 1s and 0s on a chalk board (using just what they think is random) while a second group does so based on a coin flip (that is actually random), that it is usually easy for an experienced observer to determine which sequence was based on the truly random coin flip sequence and which was faked.  The faked one will have far fewer long runs. Intuitively we expect randomness to be smoother in the short run. We can learn that the longer a random sequence the more likely that there will be a long run, but we don't tend to intuit it.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 7:13pm

On the other hand, there is a particular serve I do that relies on edging the ball. I stand in the BH corner, pretend to do BH serve to the righty opponent BH, and in the last moment I send it slow/short to his FH aiming at... basically the edge. On a good day it works (= edges) about 60% of the time, I do it maybe 6-7 times during the match.
Do you have video showing you doing this?

I'm not calling you a liar, but I do find this pretty unbelievable.  If it were possible for you to do it 60% of the time then a player in the top 10 could do it every single time.  If they could do that often how come we never see them even attempt it?
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 8:21pm
Well it's been a while.  It must be time for another slanging match between fatt and me.  Wink

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

a particular serve I do that relies on edging the ball...

about 60% of the time, I do it maybe 6-7 times during the match.

If it were possible for you to do it 60% of the time then a player in the top 10 could do it every single time.
that's a wrong premise; some tricks do not require to be top 10 to execute
No, it's a correct premise.  Anything I can do, a top pro can do ten times better.  That's basically what makes them the best.  If JacekGM can do something 60% of the time then Ma Long can do it better.

an easy to do down the line serve that flirts with the edge
If you look at JacekGM's quote, he's not talking about a "down the line serve".  He's talking about "edging the ball"; that is, a ball which catches the very edge, just like in the original video.  He says he can do it 60% of the time on a good day.  I'd just like to see it.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 8:24pm

On the other hand, there is a particular serve I do that relies on edging the ball. I stand in the BH corner, pretend to do BH serve to the righty opponent BH, and in the last moment I send it slow/short to his FH aiming at... basically the edge. On a good day it works (= edges) about 60% of the time, I do it maybe 6-7 times during the match.

I'm not calling you a liar, but I do find this pretty unbelievable.  If it were possible for you to do it 60% of the time then a player in the top 10 could do it every single time.  If they could do that often how come we never see them even attempt it?
that's a wrong premise; some tricks do not require to be top 10 to execute; what jacekgm mentions is one of them: no physical strength required; no technical knowledge either...just an easy to do down the line serve that flirts with the edge; no biggie for most club players to train all the way to the highest level a pro could reach (for that trick only). I do it sometimes without trying.
I can't help thinking that attempting to do it on purpose is a dangerous path though; I generally do not like to gamble and that trick sounds like one. 60%? on a very good day at best; 20% on a bad one and that loses the match if used too many times. 

"About 60% of the time" implies a better record on good days and a worse one on bad days, so that the average success is about 60%.  Further, you'd expect half of the "misses" to still be on the table.  So only 20% or so are outright point losers.  I like these odds a lot and would use the serve if I could do that.  When I worked on this, I doubt I ever got even 25% success.  Keep in mind that you only have an error window of 20mm.  But it was fun in that could definitely increase the number of edge balls on the serve.

Given the low percentage of good returns on edge balls, a 60% success rate would compel me to use the serve pretty often.

Edited by wturber - 07/25/2016 at 8:26pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 8:57pm

....serving down the line as close to the edge as possible is one of them.

Serving so as to hit an edge ball about 60% of the time is not one of those basic skill situations in my experience.  I spent hours practicing it.  It struck me that in order to be able to pull it off using a serve technique that would be both legal and not a dead giveaway would take LOTs more hours - which is why I stopped pursuing it.  However, I've always like the notion.  So maybe I'll start practicing it again.  I think it should be a bit easier with hardbat that it would be with inverted.

If I could hit an edge 50% of the time, miss the edge but serve on the table 25%, and miss the edge but serve off the other 25%, I'd be pretty happy.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 9:11pm

....serving down the line as close to the edge as possible is one of them.

Serving so as to hit an edge ball about 60% of the time is not one of those basic skill situations in my experience.  I spent hours practicing it.  It struck me that in order to be able to pull it off using a serve technique that would be both legal and not a dead giveaway would take LOTs more hours - which is why I stopped pursuing it.  However, I've always like the notion.  So maybe I'll start practicing it again.  I think it should be a bit easier with hardbat that it would be with inverted.

If I could hit an edge 50% of the time, miss the edge but serve on the table 25%, and miss the edge but serve off the other 25%, I'd be pretty happy.

Isn't it then just a 50:50 serve, may be slightly better than that? Assuming that you will lose 25% by outright misses and non-edge ones are going to flipped/killed (since opponent knows where you are going)? 

I never tried to do that, but it does sound that short BH serve down the line needs to get the angle right, which might be easier than trying to hit the end line.  Purely speculation on my part, though.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Isn't it then just a 50:50 serve, may be slightly better than that? Assuming that you will lose 25% by outright misses and non-edge ones are going to flipped/killed (since opponent knows where you are going)? 

I never tried to do that, but it does sound that short BH serve down the line needs to get the angle right, which might be easier than trying to hit the end line.  Purely speculation on my part, though.

It would depend on the opponent.  With some players it might be less than 50/50.  With some more.  It depends on how well they handle edge serves and how well they flip forehand shots.  A landed serve that misses the edge does give the receiver a pretty clear swing from the side of the table since the ball is close to the edge - if the receiver moves his feet. So it isn't a super hard ball to attack.  It also depends on my ability to disguise the ball's direction and whether my opponent lets the fact that I'm trying to hit an edge serve bother him.

And yes, it is far easier to target the side edge. What I tried was a motion that starts in a way that could be fast to the deep backhand, but that I change at the last moment to be short almost dead to the forehand with a very slight sidespin.  It could be that trying to use sidespin is a mistake since it is on more variable to deal with, but it seemed to make it easier to disguise the stroke. A short punch stroke might be easier to control.

Since the ball needs to be hit at a little bit of an angle, the depth of the shot does matter as well.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 12:58am
All I want from life is for JacekGM to set up a video camera, walk to the table and serve 10 times.  If he can clip the edge 6 times out of 10 then I will do the most publicly humiliating thing I can think of: post a video of me playing.

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced it can't be done.  6 edge balls out of 10 serves?  It's just not going to happen.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 1:07am

All I want from life is for JacekGM to set up a video camera, walk to the table and serve 10 times.  If he can clip the edge 6 times out of 10 then I will do the most publicly humiliating thing I can think of: post a video of me playing.

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced it can't be done.  6 edge balls out of 10 serves?  It's just not going to happen.

Well, he said, "about." Anything close to 50/50 would be impressive to me.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 2:52am

"About 60% of the time" implies a better record on good days and a worse one on bad days, so that the average success is about 60%.  Further, you'd expect half of the "misses" to still be on the table.  So only 20% or so are outright point losers.  I like these odds a lot and would use the serve if I could do that.  When I worked on this, I doubt I ever got even 25% success.  Keep in mind that you only have an error window of 20mm.  But it was fun in that could definitely increase the number of edge balls on the serve.

Given the low percentage of good returns on edge balls, a 60% success rate would compel me to use the serve pretty often.
The original post said "on a good day 60%", not that his overall average was 60%.  In fact, he didn't say anything about what his overall average would be, which would be a lot more helpful.  On a good day, I can shoot 20 free throws in a row in basketball.  Sadly, the vast majority of days aren't good days for me and basketball.

I have never seen anyone, include a professional, who could serve an edge ball (not just on the white line) 50% or more.  And if you did get the edge 50%, then what happens to the other 50%?  Some large portion goes off the table, which is automatic loss of point.  So you better hope that you win pretty much all the other points.  

And how effective is an edge ball anyway? And edge ball that adjusts upwards or sideways might still be killed.  Only the edge balls that barely clip the table as they continue to fall would be easy points.

Sounds to me like a suicide serve.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic