Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Butterfly Raystorm vs RITC 802-40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly Raystorm vs RITC 802-40
    Posted: 07/25/2016 at 5:00pm
Hello Everyone!

What are your opinion on Butterfly Raystorm vs RITC 802-40? Which one is faster, spinnier, softer?
How do they compare to each other?

your input is greatly appreciated!

JackStar
BTY ZJK SUPER ZLC CPEN/STIGA XX CS
FH: DIGNICS 09C/ H3 NATIONAL
BH: SKYLINE 3-60

My Feedback
Sponsored Links

JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 7:10pm
Raystorm is a little faster and moderately spinnier than 802-40. I recall them feeling similar for hardness.
I never found any advantages to 802-40 except price, but that was coming from inverted.
Regards,
Jonathan
Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 7:31pm
I've tried raystorm but never 802-40, so cannot compare, but of the short pips I've tried, raystorm is one of the ones that plays more similar to inverted.
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: Victas VO>103
BH: der Materialspezialist Breakout 2.0
Lefty
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 10:46pm
As said above, Raystorm is faster, spinnier and softer than 802-40. Better to attack.
802-40 is cheaper and better to block.
However I wouldn´t use any of these SP. There are tensioned SP much better than both, specially with 40+ ball, in my opinion.
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

As said above, Raystorm is faster, spinnier and softer than 802-40. Better to attack.
However I wouldn´t use any of these SP. There are tensioned SP much better than both, specially with 40+ ball, in my opinion.

I have recently switched to 802-40 on my cpen FH. before this I was using Evo MX-P on FH. It's been 3 weeks and so far I've enjoyed the characteristics of this SP rubber. But, I'd like something much faster. Spin is Ok, a little more is also fine but I'm now sure less spin than 802-40 will be beneficial for my style or not. Can you suggest me other SP rubbers, other than raystorm, with spin similar to 802-40 but faster?
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2016 at 11:46pm
I am using 802-40 now on FH and I have used 802 with Mystery III sponge. Coming from an inverted rubber and moving to short pips 802 Mystery III is easier to use as it is more grippy, sponge is a bit harder. It is easier to block as the angle is similar to inverted. For 802-40 blocking angle is more open. I found 802-40 harder to control, less grippy, softer sponge, a notch faster and deadlier and easier to smash. 
I believe 802-40 is deadlier if you play a more active offensive style and 802 Mystery III better on a push-block defensive style. I played with short pips without coaching used them in ways I found suitable to my style of play. I am a push-blocker and rarely venture  2-3 steps away from the table.
I play with 802-40 on FH and on another setup 802 Mystery III on BH I don't know why, it just feels right when I do so. Oh by the way I twiddle a lot even in the middle of rallies.
802 Mystery III is cheaper but this hasn't kept me from buying the more expensive 802-40 (the EJ bug in me).
My thoughts and opinion for whatever its worth.

Edited by Knuckle Ball - 07/25/2016 at 11:51pm
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 12:25am
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

I have recently switched to 802-40 on my cpen FH. before this I was using Evo MX-P on FH. It's been 3 weeks and so far I've enjoyed the characteristics of this SP rubber. But, I'd like something much faster. Spin is Ok, a little more is also fine but I'm now sure less spin than 802-40 will be beneficial for my style or not. Can you suggest me other SP rubbers, other than raystorm, with spin similar to 802-40 but faster?

Joola Ultra Express or Moristo SP
rulia View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rulia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 3:01am
802-40 is a faster, raistorme is a bit spinner.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 3:13am
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Joola Ultra Express or Moristo SP

Try andro hexer pips or spinlord waran
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 8:27am

Moristo SP in MAX would be a good choice.
However I didn´t become a fan of this rubber. I like more Yasaka short pips, started with Xtend PO and upgraded to Rakza PO, which in my opinion, has the ideal balance between speed, spin and control for a SP.
I still want to try Hexer Pips.
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 8:52am
Hexed imo is way too bouncy the rubber seems comparably way too soft but the pip spacing is close playing like an over boosted smooth sheet with less tack.

I had 802/802-40 on a carbon hinoki blade, I could not find a difference in spin or speed between the two

Ray storm is similar to Hexer in pip spacing and grip/spin but less softer/bouncy imp has better control.
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 9:03am
Raystorm has vertically and 802-40 has horizontally oriented pips. What effect does that have on playing characteristics of the rubber? What does penhold players prefer for their forehand?

Edited by ronakvyas86 - 07/26/2016 at 9:04am
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 10:33am

Raystorm has vertically and 802-40 has horizontally oriented pips. What effect does that have on playing characteristics of the rubber? What does penhold players prefer for their forehand?

Majority of the man penhold Sp players prefer horizontally aligned...
Wang zeng yi- 802 variant
He zhiwen- 802 or spinpips
LGL- spinpips

Female Sp penhold tends to play with vertical such as shan xiaona with flairstorm and the Japanese girl with spectol

In general I think the horizontal alignment has more spin and vertical alignment have more speed and knuckle
For me the vertical hits flatter but the ball skids on the pip more, you have to drive with the horizontal and it is more stable as the ball does not skid as much but the shot is slower

My observations were based on different rubbers... Maybe someone who has used both alignment of the hexer pips can chime in

Edited by JohnnyChop - 07/26/2016 at 10:46am
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 10:50am
The speed and spin of 802-40 depends greatly on the sponge as there are many variations...
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 1:12pm

[QUOTE=TT newbie] As said above, Raystorm is faster, spinnier and softer than 802-40. Better to attack.

I have recently switched to 802-40 on my cpen FH. before this I was using Evo MX-P on FH. It's been 3 weeks and so far I've enjoyed the characteristics of this SP rubber. But, I'd like something much faster. Spin is Ok, a little more is also fine but I'm now sure less spin than 802-40 will be beneficial for my style or not. Can you suggest me other SP rubbers, other than raystorm, with spin similar to 802-40 but faster?[/QUOTE]

That was my impressions of 802 and/or 802-40 on my clipper Cpen FH. Simply too slow. Don't get be wrong. Loved the feeling and control but on an average hit when factoring speed, I felt it was significantly down from anything inverted.

I think it was a me thing as I've seen plenty of SP players hit very fast.  If I were to ever give it another go, I'd probably try some more modern tuned SP like a Haifu Dolphin or something.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 12:15am
are you using the factory white sponge?  that's a control oriented sponge for sure
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 12:54am
Originally posted by The Canadian Bacon The Canadian Bacon wrote:

Hexed imo is way too bouncy the rubber seems comparably way too soft but the pip spacing is close playing like an over boosted smooth sheet with less tack.

I had 802/802-40 on a carbon hinoki blade, I could not find a difference in spin or speed between the two

Ray storm is similar to Hexer in pip spacing and grip/spin but less softer/bouncy imp has better control.

802-40 makes no knuckle efect but hexer is spinny and when I
played with it gave trouble to my opponents

Edited by bbkon - 07/27/2016 at 12:55am
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2016 at 4:59pm
If you want a faster SP, you should try Spinlord Waran.  That is one of the better SP I have tried coming from an inverted rubber.  One of my club mates has switched to it from 802-40 and he loves it.  He can loop and smash with better precision.  He said that the feel is much better and the sponge gives him good speed.  He is a penhold player.

My own experiences with Spinlord Waran is similar.  I am a shakehand player.  I use the SP on the BH.  It is very solid on block and you can create good spin on chop and BH opening loop.  Of course, the spin will not be as good as inverted.  I just like the variation of the spin SP gives at this point.  Still experimenting it for now.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2016 at 3:09pm
Ok...I've played with both and I would agree with most of the assessments. Raystorm is a little softer, has more spin, and is more like inverted rubbers. I was never a fan of 802-40, but for the money it's ok. I also think the alignment of the pips is like someone said above...more spin vs faster, and maybe a little more weird.
I currently play with Victas > 102 short pips and have found them to be about the best SPs out there for me. Victas is the premium version of TSP, and for years TSP has been considered the best SPs you can play with. The 102 is fast, spinny, and just a pleasure to play with. I play with them in 1.8mm. 2.0mm would be pretty fast. Another excellent fast and spinny SP rubber is Adidas Blaze Spin, and Joola Express Ultra, but I prefer the Victas rubber. Victas also has 101 SPs, and they are better at blocking and disruption. Victas 102 is supposed to play like TSPs Spin Pips, and 101 is supposed to be similar to TSPs Spectol.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic