Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how to remove 30-40 year old rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
apex600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apex600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to remove 30-40 year old rubber
    Posted: 07/27/2016 at 4:18am
I bought and old blade but the original srivers are still on the blade.

the rubber and sponge are both so hard and frail that I can't get them off in a normal way.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links

CalibraTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalibraTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 6:47am
I have the same problem with old Stiga 2000, please some suggestions :-)
Blade: Liu Shiwen FL
Fh: Victas v22
Bh: Victas v15 extra
sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 11:47am
Unfortunately there is no easy way. With rubber that is not brittle you could use lighter fluid to put in between blade and rubber to dilute the glue. But yours is brittle, possibly very well glued too (older glue), as such if you try to take the rubber off it will definitely break into pieces with sponge still stuck to blade. You have to slowly remove in numerous steps, remaining that wont come off you have to sandpaper.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 11:56am
Use a lot of acetone to try and dissolve the old glue. After that start - very carefully - pulling the rubber/sponge off the blade. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on that. As soon as some peeling off happens, pour more acetone in between sponge and blade. Etc, etc.

If at the end some remnants of sponge are left on the blade, use - with extreme caution - some sharp metal blade to slice them off or some very fine grade sandpaper to get rid of them.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 12:10pm
use this and acetone with time and patience. The wider the blade the better.

Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 2:05pm
Use a RAZOR to cut/separate rubber from sponge, once you are left with sponge only you should be able to peel it of with your hand/fingers by pressing hard and trying to push/roll.
Worked for me :-)
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

use this and acetone with time and patience. The wider the blade the better.

I use GooGone in place of acetone.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 9:56pm
Stay away from the metal scraper if you can. Using acetone/Googone/cooking oil etc, softens the wood and any slip with the scraper causes wood damage. It's better to use the plastic scaper if you are new to this. The guys who do it all the time use metal ones.
Patience is the key. Oil a bit, wait a while, then scape a few mm, oil a bit,....and so on. This can take hours if it's a valuable blade.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 10:43pm
Acetone isn't aggressive enough.  Chip away the topsheet to expose the sponge.  I use ronsonol lighter fluid or naptha. Squirt it on to saturate the sponge.  Wrap a plastic bag around it and leave it for 12 hours.  It should peel right up.

probably not ideal for the blade but it works easily and I've not seen any damage
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 11:09pm
I just scrap and scratch away for an hour then sand,  have a acetone (didn't do anything)
 just did one with ancient rubbers , I get a few of them to do, 
actually some pre-mades especially yellow sponges are much harder 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 11:12pm
I removed two such rubbers from a racket recently, took me 3 hours and lot of sore fingers so be patient.

Edited by sunny - 07/27/2016 at 11:12pm
rosecitytt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosecitytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2016 at 8:52am
I have found using 3M scotch Kutchen cleaning pad (dry), the green side is very useful in removing old yellow sponge from wood, no use of any Acetone or oil, just DRY RUBBing and it does not hurt wood.

Edited by rosecitytt - 07/29/2016 at 11:47pm
Darker Speed OEM 10mm Jpen
FH:Beijing Swords
RPB:Tenergy 05 2.1
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2016 at 9:12am
Chemical is the fastest but you have to let it dry out from the wood...reseal if you want.

I'm in the process myself but i decided the longer,messy way this time.

First i use the razor:

to get to this:

after i'll use these sanding sponges to get to the wood:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic