Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by lucifer lucifer wrote:

makes you wonder who is their target.
for almost the same price you can buy a timo boll spirit or a viscaria.

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">From a very quick google search, I can buy the True Carbon for €87, which is £73 (damn you Brexit, that exchange rate sucks).</span>

I'm not allowed to buy Butterfly products from outside my territory, so I can only get a Viscaria from my official vendors, and their price is fixed at £120.

The True Carbon is 60% of the price of the Viscaria.  And that's with me spending 5 minutes searching - could probably get it cheaper with more effort.

So it's aimed at people like me, I guess?

you can't do directly comparison
for €87 you only get True Carbon. you don't get Viscaria
you get what you pay for

Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">From a very quick google search, I can buy the True Carbon for €87, which is £73 (damn you Brexit, that exchange rate sucks).</span>

I'm not allowed to buy Butterfly products from outside my territory, so I can only get a Viscaria from my official vendors, and their price is fixed at £120.

The True Carbon is 60% of the price of the Viscaria.  And that's with me spending 5 minutes searching - could probably get it cheaper with more effort.

you get what you pay for

I'm only comparing on price, with the argument that it's "close" to the price of the Viscaria, which it is not. It's a cheaper alternative. I'll leave the comparison of the performance of the two blades to those who have used both. See earlier in this thread for that.

I presume you've used both to make the "get what you pay for" comment. What did you think of the True Carbon?
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 1:07pm

I presume you've used both to make the "get what you pay for" comment. What did you think of the True Carbon?

I didn't use True Carbon but I used other "alternatives" to Butterfly blades. and I realized if you want Viscaria, for example, you should buy Viscaria. if you want TB ALC you should buy it and not to look for alternatives

Edited by piligrim - 08/04/2016 at 1:07pm
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 1:11pm
Has anyone tried the fl handle? Is it similar to Vis too? 
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 1:28pm

I didn't use True Carbon but I used other "alternatives" to Butterfly blades. and I realized if you want Viscaria, for example, you should buy Viscaria. if you want TB ALC you should buy it and not to look for alternatives

Well not everyone has the money like you do.

Or maybe buying other equipment brands is a statement to counter high BTY prices that have been sky rocketing since the ban of speed glue.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 1:53pm
I have the flared handle TC. Very comfy little bit thicker than the norm and not as long and thin as the Crest handle for me. Does remind me of the Stiga legend size handle a bit. Blade balance is really good as others have commented.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 2:05pm
Having played with Viscaria and OTC they are very similar blades. I actually prefer OTC cause the handle size and its available in straight for less than $350...... If you like Viscaria and are in the market give OTC a serious look. OTC with 2 sheets of MX-P is almost the same price as Viscaria.

Edited by jpenmaster - 08/04/2016 at 2:05pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 3:04pm

Yes, but what if you like a Viscaria and want it in ST? 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 3:06pm

you get what you pay for

99% of the time I would agree with you about that.  This may be the exception.  I think the TC is just as good a blade.  And I am certainly in a position to do a direct comparison!  I doubt there is a bigger Viscaria fan than I am, and not so many people have owned so many.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 6:31pm

The True Carbon is 60% of the price of the Viscaria. 

You're way wrong, Andy.

You see, if I pay $150 to buy a Viscaria now & then use it for 15 years, I can sell it for $600 later (expected price of the silver tags at that time).

Wink
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 7:58pm
If Dima use TC and win Gold in Rio, then it will be an instant collector item and sort after in years. I believe ZJK is doing the same to boost Viscaria. But Dima probably won't change blade before a big event, especially one with totally different handle size than what he has been using in years. Anyway I paid 57.3 Euro for mine after discount. A bargain for sure. 

No mention of material used in composite layer but it seems that ALC is common place and cheap in China these days. A Yinhe ALC can be had for as little as $30. Unless Buttefly has the patent right to it, I wonder why Donic can't advertise and use it. 
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

If Dima use TC and win Gold in Rio

what??? you mean Dima can beat Jike and Ma Long????
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 8:39pm

I know I know...wishful thinking to boost the value of my TC like the way ZJK do to Viscaria. But I am well prepared and already bought the new design HL5. Clap
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 8:45pm

Beating Ma Long is a long shot (pun intended ) but Dima's recored against Jike is 3-5 and he won the last match so that is not too far fetched.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 8:17am
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Well not everyone has the money like you do.

Or maybe buying other equipment brands is a statement to counter high BTY prices that have been sky rocketing since the ban of speed glue.

Table Tennis is not expensive sport. if you know how much money you have to pay to play Hokey you will agree that $150 for blade its ok.

of course if you can't afford it you can buy cheaper blade from different brand. but it won't be same as Butterfly. if you want Viscaria you should buy Viscaria. if you want Mizutani you should buy Mizutani.
if you buy blade to play for long time $150 its not expensive.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 8:27am
I am ok with the argument that for people who live in the US and Europe, Japan, Korea, etc. $150 is not completely out of line these days for a blade that can be used for many years, but I think the discussion of the True Carbon is really not a question of price (although it is indeed less expensive than Butterfly ALC blades).  

Some people -- like me -- are going to like the True Carbon on its own merits, irrespective of its price. 

I think it stands equally against any blade currently sold by Butterfly, and it will be preferred by people who like blades with ST handles that are more round than square, especially if they have large hands.  If you are seeking the elusive ST Viscaria, stop looking and just buy one of these.  The handles are a bit on the largish side, so if you like your handles very thin or more square, you won't like this. 

I actually now play with this blade and I played with Viscaria since 2007.  I have also owned TBS, TB-ALC, ZJK-ALC, and Xiom Stradivarius, and at one time or another I have at least hit with many of the Butterfly ZLC and sZLC blades (as well as several other company's ALC blades, which aren't as good).  People can decide for themselves if that experience means anything, but I think I have a strong basis for posting an opinion on this, certainly more than people who have not actually played with the True Carbon. 

Let me add one other thing.  I spent a stupid amount of money having two custom Viscaria ST blades made for me, and sold them both a couple of weeks later.  But I am still very much liking my True Carbon.  It is a better blade than those were.  I am not going to say it is better than the really good FL Viscarias I was using, but I find that ST handles are really suitable for me.  And orignal Viscaria ST blades for for $500 now!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 9:30am

Table Tennis is not expensive sport. if you know how much money you have to pay to play Hokey you will agree that $150 for blade its ok.

of course if you can't afford it you can buy cheaper blade from different brand. but it won't be same as Butterfly. if you want Viscaria you should buy Viscaria. if you want Mizutani you should buy Mizutani.
if you buy blade to play for long time $150 its not expensive.

For me, it's a simple thing consisting of two points.  

First, many blades are made to very high standards these days, and it's very possible to get blades which are equivalent in performance terms to Butterfly for far less cash.  Exactly the same?  No.  Equal (or better) in performance terms?  Yes, in my experience.  If you like and currently use Butterfly's blades, but know deep down in your heart of hearts that you can't be bothered to make the very slight adjustments needed to switch to any alternative, then fine - spend the money.  To me, this is just a waste of cash that could be spent on other things because I'd play at the same level, and with the same happiness.

Secondly, as a matter of principle I avoid BTY these days because of their price rigging, which I find unethical.  I don't expect everyone to agree or do the same, and it doesn't eat me up or make me want to protest outside their head office or anything, but there you go.

IMO, most of Butterfly's attraction is just a carefully designed and coordinated aura that they've built up over the years.  Of course their stuff is well made and performs well, but their pricing used to be much more in-line with the market average (with perhaps a 10% premium on top).  Since their enormous price hike and introduction of territorial restrictions, they just don't represent value for money any more.

Now, I'm not attacking you, or anyone else who chooses to spend their money on Butterfly stuff.  It's a free world (unless you want to buy Butterfly stuff from Japan - not quite so free there I suppose), anyone can spend whatever they want.  Feel free, go crazy.  But I won't agree that Butterfly stuff is more expensive because it's intrinsically better in some way, and I'll generally say so to help counter the brand fascism that has built up around them.  There is a good argument to be made about buying Butterfly to support the sport, due to their sponsorship of junior events and so on.  But don't kid yourself - you don't "get what you pay for" (except in the literal sense of paying money to get a thing) with Butterfly.

As you say "if you want a Viscaria, buy a Viscaria".  Yes, but perhaps ask yourself why you want a Viscaria, and is it a rational decision you're making?  Why won't a really similar blade for far less money do the job?  And if it isn't rational (and not everything is, of course), take ownership of your emotional decision and then understand that other people just don't care about brands, or professionals who use things, or popularity, and buy things based on what they do when you use them.  Because I'd rather save money and take my family out for the day, or save towards our next holiday, or any number of other things.  Money (unlike the wood to build blades) doesn't grow on trees.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 9:36am
Baal, are the handles solid and weighty or pretty hollow (the Donic Crest series handles felt very hollow)?
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 9:49am
I strongly agree with Andy's second point.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:03am
Where to buy OTC now as TT11 is out of stock and I don't want to pay the retail price at megaspin?
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:11am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Where to buy OTC now as TT11 is out of stock and I don't want to pay the retail price at megaspin?

I got mine from Dandoy. See if you can get one there as they are having it with promo price now.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:12am

Dandoy has it

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:23am
Back-ordered only. 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:25am

Back-ordered only. 

tibi.
danieldangz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danieldangz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:27am
Dandoy is also out of stock

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:32am

To me, this is just a waste of cash that could be spent on other things because I'd play at the same level, and with the same happiness.

that the point. I don't feel I play at same level and have same happiness if I use substitute blade

Secondly, as a matter of principle I avoid BTY these days because of their price rigging, which I find unethical.  I don't expect everyone to agree or do the same, and it doesn't eat me up or make me want to protest outside their head office or anything, but there you go.
IMO, most of Butterfly's attraction is just a carefully designed and coordinated aura that they've built up over the years.  Of course their stuff is well made and performs well, but their pricing used to be much more in-line with the market average (with perhaps a 10% premium on top).  Since their enormous price hike and introduction of territorial restrictions, they just don't represent value for money any more.

I can agree that Butterfly prices could be lower but if you won't but there stuff you just punish yourself.

But don't kid yourself - you don't "get what you pay for" (except in the literal sense of paying money to get a thing) with Butterfly.

As you say "if you want a Viscaria, buy a Viscaria".  Yes, but perhaps ask yourself why you want a Viscaria, and is it a rational decision you're making?  Why won't a really similar blade for far less money do the job?

because in my opinion it's not similar. it's ok to buy other brand. I for example like Infinity for example. but not because it similar to some butterfly blade that i think too expensive.

Because I'd rather save money and take my family out for the day, or save towards our next holiday, or any number of other things.  Money (unlike the wood to build blades) doesn't grow on trees.

if you not EJ and don't buy new blade every week then no reason to save few bucks on blade that you will use for many years.

TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 11:00am
Originally posted by danieldangz danieldangz wrote:

Dandoy is also out of stock

So it is a popular and hot selling item at the moment. Lucky I got mine before Olympics so I can watch Dima play while holding it ! Clap

If you can't find it anywhere then Dandoy is good to let you place your order with discount pricing and wait for restock. Other sellers may get stock but sold out again before you know it. So better get in line for it now. 
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 11:15am
Well, almost all US online stores have it. Just need to pay a little more. I can order one from Megaspin and have it next Monday. 

By the way, megaspin has a summer sale with code summer16 for 5% off. That is probably the best price in US at the moment. Ammerican table tennis has an assembled paddle with blue P turbo rubbers for $155. Not bad either.
powerhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powerhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 11:18am
What's the head size of the Donic True Carbon blade please.
Blade: Butterfly Viscaria

FH: Dignics 09c

BH: Dignics 05
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 11:49am
Funny how people are willing to continually post an opinion about a blade they haven't used.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic