Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The best poly balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AL_in_MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AL_in_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2016 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Bilbo Bilbo wrote:

Quick questions, as I am getting a little confused about the different Yinhe 40+ balls here...are both the Red box and Blue box balls we talking about here 3 stars or lower grade?

The Yinhe Blue and Red are both 3 star balls, the Red is apparently a recent upgrade of the Blue, said to be at the lower limit of the size tolerance and spinnier than the Blue..I've played with the Blue previously also, it's also very good, but the Red is even better IMO...

The Red Box balls are also ITTF approved, but not sure if the Blue is too..

Edited by AL_in_MN - 08/26/2016 at 2:08pm
Blade:Yinhe W-1
Rubber:Air Illumina 2.1

Sponsored Links

Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2016 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by AL_in_MN AL_in_MN wrote:

Quick questions, as I am getting a little confused about the different Yinhe 40+ balls here...are both the Red box and Blue box balls we talking about here 3 stars or lower grade?

The Yinhe Blue and Red are both 3 star balls, the Red is apparently a recent upgrade of the Blue, said to be at the lower limit of the size tolerance and spinnier than the Blue..I've played with the Blue previously also, it's also very good, but the Red is even better IMO...

Thanks for the clarification...I will keep an eye on that next time!
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: Victas VO>103
BH: der Materialspezialist Breakout 2.0
Lefty
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2016 at 3:07pm
Both are approved
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2016 at 4:13pm

Originally posted by AL_in_MN AL_in_MN wrote:

Thanks for the clarification...I will keep an eye on that next time!
Cole has a very good price on the red one, even better than taobao LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2016 at 9:41pm
I read that the Yinhe S40+ in Red is the Fourth generation while Blue is Third. S means Super and aimed at international market so they only have limited supply in homeland China at the moment. The Red is better in heat resistance, rounder and tougher. It won't get damaged too much by sea container transport through hot region. Also Yinhe has price control in taobao which means no store can advertise their price lower than a set limit. I guess that is why the price can be lower oversea. Hope the price in China can drop in the future.    

I have a pack of Red from taobao and measured no difference to Blue in size and weight. I believe the new Butterfly G40+ is the one closer to the lower limit of 40mm by far. 

I have high hopes on DHS new D40+. No 3 star yet, only 1 star on sale at the moment. It bounce higher than celluloid but lower than seamless. Surface is rough. It play just fine exceeding my expectation for 1 star. No breaking after hour of play. Love to try their 3 star when available. Should be a winner.  

Edited by TurboZ - 08/27/2016 at 5:00am
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2016 at 8:32am
Back to the G40+ butterfly ball made in Germany. As I wrote on another thread the sound is so hideous that the sound alone removes it from ANY discussion as an acceptable ball. No matter how it plays (and it certainly does not play as well as NP40+ or any of the XSF family of balls). I can imagine how the discussion went at butterfly:
Table tennis playing consultant: "Mr Butterly CEO, the new ball plays OK but it sounds broken/cracked, I do not recommend production of this prototype."
Non-table tennis playing CEO: "Sounds find to me, lets make a million of them in Germany, those dumb players think everything from Germany is quality."

a player whose ears are still ringing...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2016 at 11:46am
I don't like G40+.  They fly fast and very straight in the air and then slide on the table.  WIth a little wear, the sliding makes them unplayable.  Some people will find the sound unbearable, but to me that is the least of their problems.

I still think that NP40+ play the best in the sense that they are closest to celluloid.  Their durability averaged over time is ok, not great not terrible; frankly not that different from the best Nittaku celluloids (durability was not a big advantage of those either).  The surface gets marred easily.  They come out of the box with insane amounts of powder on them.  But they play nicely.  Their cost is absurd.  And given the cost, one ought to expect more for durability.  

Overall, if one wants to factor in everything, including price, playing qualities, average durability, then it is still hard to beat the various seamless balls.  They play ok (and consistently), are by far the most durable (on average over time*), and they are relatively less expensive than other plastic balls.  There are quite a few reports that not all of the brands of seamless balls are precisely identical.  There are some complaints about roundness of XSF (but not other brands).  Most of the seamless ones are a bit on the slow side compared to the others.  They also bounce the highest (a big plus).  I am not sure what to make of the difference between the red and blue Yinhe versions.  I have not had boxes of each to compare.  If they could make all of the seamless just a tiny bit smaller and lighter I would be really happy.

Avoid all Chinese seamed balls!!!  They all suck, still.  Maybe that will change some day, not yet.

* I am anticipating the post that says something like "I tried a seamless ball and I hit an edge and it broke and therefore they must all be terrible".  I use the term "averaged over time" because I have had hundreds of seamless balls of multiple brands, so I know exactly how they behave --  literally since the first week they started selling them in North America.  I believe I was the first person on English language websites to start to tell people that seamless balls were a decent option because if you recall, the earliest "prototype" versions of seamless balls were so bad that nobody wanted to try the eventual commercial versions.  I bought some XSF anyway, and was surprised. 
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2016 at 12:07pm
I like the NP40+ the best of the new balls, hate the G40+ balls, but I could live with the seamless if everybody else could. I do not like going from one to the other, it throw's my timing off. For close to the table attacking the seamless is better for me, cause it does not come out and bounces higher, for away from the table the NP40+ is better for me cause it comes out and does not bounce as high as the seamless. Is it just me ?    
Shifter
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2016 at 2:20pm
Just yesterday we played with three ball types and it was a nice reminder of how different these balls are - particularly when playing hardbat as we were.

Nittaku NS40+ (2*) - The ball is hard and slow and requires extra effort to hit fast.

Kingnik 3* Seamless - The ball is softer on the blade, but still not exactly soft.  More bounce.  Easier to hit fast.

Gambler 3* Platinum (white) - What a pleasure. Easy to hit with speed.  Felt good on the racket - neither soft nor hard.  Just a bit of give.  The ball seemed to spin more as well.  

All the balls are playable and can be adjusted to in short order.  But the celluloid ball is clearly more fun to play with.  Of course, this is with OX rubbers.  With sponge the experience could well be different. I had pretty much fully adjusted to the plastic balls of various types.  But this side by side comparison did make me a bit sad that we've had this conversion to plastic crammed down our throats. None of the new balls are as good overall as the older celluloid. 
(Note: I have the new Yinhe S40+ balls, but haven't played with them yet.)

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2016 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Back to the G40+ butterfly ball made in Germany. As I wrote on another thread the sound is so hideous that the sound alone removes it from ANY discussion as an acceptable ball. No matter how it plays (and it certainly does not play as well as NP40+ or any of the XSF family of balls). I can imagine how the discussion went at butterfly:
Table tennis playing consultant: "Mr Butterly CEO, the new ball plays OK but it sounds broken/cracked, I do not recommend production of this prototype."
Non-table tennis playing CEO: "Sounds find to me, lets make a million of them in Germany, those dumb players think everything from Germany is quality."

Thank you...butterfly is usually the gold standard for equipment quality (as much as people on the forums wish to deny this lol) but they have totally messed up with the G40. the ball is a total joke, sounds totally cracked right out of the box and i have noticed this on nearly every one i have tried. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2016 at 10:53pm
Bigger problem is that G40 sound is not their biggest problem.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2016 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Bigger problem is that G40 sound is not their biggest problem.

i have not noticed what you mentioned yet because i can't stand to use them long enough to get to that point, lol. nittaku premiums have been the only way to go for me, but you pay the price for quality.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 2:39am
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Thank you...butterfly is usually the gold standard for equipment quality (as much as people on the forums wish to deny this lol) but they have totally messed up with the G40. the ball is a total joke, sounds totally cracked right out of the box and i have noticed this on nearly every one i have tried. 

Butterfly is selliing $200 blades with 2 piece plies. That s not quality.my short pip sheet lasted 4 months even booster cant make it playable again, if butterfly does this people say its a bad batch but if a small chinese brand sells a defective sheet people will bash the brand. Butterfly is overhyped.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 8:50am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Butterfly is selliing $200 blades with 2 piece plies. That s not quality.my short pip sheet lasted 4 months even booster cant make it playable again, if butterfly does this people say its a bad batch but if a small chinese brand sells a defective sheet people will bash the brand. Butterfly is overhyped.

Overhyped? Why does nearly every American and international top player use at least one Butterfly piece of equipment on their racket (blade and/or rubber)? Why do top players sponsored by other companies sneak in using Butterfly blades with disguised handles? Yes there are plenty other products out there that are perfectly or sometimes even better suited for certain people, that doesn't even come close to making Butterfly bad, just cause some people are upset with their pricing policies.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 3:15pm

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Overhyped? Why does nearly every American and international top player use at least one Butterfly piece of equipment on their racket (blade and/or rubber)? Why do top players sponsored by other companies sneak in using Butterfly blades with disguised handles? Yes there are plenty other products out there that are perfectly or sometimes even better suited for certain people, that doesn't even come close to making Butterfly bad, just cause some people are upset with their pricing policies.

The power of marketing. Why do you think a lot of people drink cofee at starbucks ?every person i know who bought a superzlc got it now in a drawer 2 juniors and several 2100 guysi know some blades are fine but most are overrated most people like to play with the priciest raquet just for status sake
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 6:55pm
I doubt professionals care about marketing.  Anyway lots of them use stiga too.

Beyond that, I doubt many professionals are ordering their butterfly off taobao or whatever.  I'm sure they're getting the best of the best from sources close to the factory.

Also part of it depends on the model.  I think you'd be surprised how many butterfly blades are made by sunflex and other companies as well.

TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 7:04pm
Play again with my G40+ today for an hour. The ball is still as good as new visually after about 3 hours of play. We are not gentle with it especially a Jpen hitter bash it all the time.  I can love it just for that. The surface is totally smooth when new like a used celluloid. So grip and spin may suffer because of that. But if you can play with a smooth celluloid, you should be fine with the G40+. 

We moved to orange celluloid the next hour because a player with eye problem prefer orange over white. I play better instantly because of all the increase in speed and spin. They are different but no noticeable adjustment is needed.   
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 7:13pm
I like the plastic balls in general when they become slicker.  For me they're just TOO gritty to start.  The biggest reason they don't spin isn't as much the size of the ball as it is how much they check on the table.

For me they just get better until they break.  If they start out slick, better still.

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 8:08pm
For tournament play, The Organizers select the ball. Why should I worry? 
In my area it is the 3* XSF most of the time... very playable.
Next topic, please.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 9:55pm
sorry wrong threadEmbarrassed

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 08/29/2016 at 9:59pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 9:57pm
sorry wrong thread againEmbarrassedConfused

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 08/29/2016 at 9:59pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 9:58pm
oh crap TongueEmbarrassedConfusedOuch

i play with whatever balls are allowed because the other guy/gal have (grammar nazi is it has or have?) to play with the same ones :)

btw Yinhe has a distributor in Ottawa if any canucks want to support their local supplier...just tables and balls for now Wink

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 08/29/2016 at 10:03pm
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2016 at 2:16am
Originally posted by <span style=line-height: 16.8px;>The Canadian Bacon The Canadian Bacon wrote:

i play with whatever balls are allowed because the other guy/gal have (grammar nazi is it has or have?) to play with the same ones :)

Very true. A friend took a Komann from HK and we all start playing with it with no complaint. Problem is if he is playing with someone else he will take the ball with him and I need to settle with others. This in and out does affect my game a bit. But I am quite used to that by now. 

Edited by TurboZ - 08/30/2016 at 6:58am
Cubinican View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cubinican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 12:08am
I’m looking for a review on the Andro Speedball..
Anyone try it out?
Galatians 6:7
BTY Innerforce ALC
Tenergy 05 fx
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53243&PID=654967#654967
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I like the plastic balls in general when they become slicker.  For me they're just TOO gritty to start.  The biggest reason they don't spin isn't as much the size of the ball as it is how much they check on the table.

For me they just get better until they break.  If they start out slick, better still.

I dont know if its me but the butterfly training ball are hard to spin even feeding multiball
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 3:55pm
I like the Nittaku premium plastic balls because i am most used to them...but we need a universal ball...so we can buy a ball that plays the same regardless of which company manufactures it
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
guillem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

I like the Nittaku premium plastic balls because i am most used to them...but we need a universal ball...so we can buy a ball that plays the same regardless of which company manufactures it

ClapClapClap

I couldn't agree more!!!

We need more homogeneity with the balls so we can concentrate more on the game and not on the ball. Bacause let's face it, you cannot play all the balls the same if you are to make the most of each ball in every point (= to take advantage of each ball's characteristics).

It's my humble opinion.
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 5:42pm
i remember how much trouble Boll had with the ball in the Rio Olympics...
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic