Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The best poly balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
CalibraTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalibraTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best poly balls
    Posted: 08/11/2016 at 4:43am
Hello Friends, which poly balls do you thinhk are the best for matches, and best poly balls for training with a lot of balls?
Blade: Liu Shiwen FL
Fh: Victas v22
Bh: Victas v15 extra
Sponsored Links

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 5:04am
Rio 2016 :-D

CalibraTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalibraTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 6:20am
Good joke :-)
Blade: Liu Shiwen FL
Fh: Victas v22
Bh: Victas v15 extra
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 11:57am
Originally posted by ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) wrote:

Rio 2016 :-D

That labeling actually makes the balls not legal per the ITTF T3 Technical Leaflet.  

C.1 The Stamp The stamp on the ball must include the following four components: 
• The ITTF Approval. This may be indicated by the initials “ITTF” or ITTFA by "ITTF approved", or by the ITTF logo.
• the trademark or brand name 
• the inscription “40”, or “40mm” for celluloid balls 
• the inscription “40+” for non-celluloid balls 
• the name of the country where the company headquarters are registered, or the expression "made in ..." The same text must appear on all balls of an approved brand. I.e. it is not permissible to put one country name on some balls and a different one on others with the same brand name.  Wrong claims will be penalized with a fine and can lead to immediate withdrawal of the ITTF approval. 

No other text is permitted. The stamp may cover an area no greater than 280mm² described by a circle or a rectangle with a maximum side length of 25mm circumscribing all letters and symbols. It may be printed in one or two colours, but the same colour or combination must be used for all balls of one brand. All inscriptions must be easily readable. The trademark or brand name should be the most pronounced inscription.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by CalibraTT CalibraTT wrote:

Hello Friends, which poly balls do you thinhk are the best for matches, and best poly balls for training with a lot of balls?

On this forum, the general consensus is that either the Nittaku Premium 3 star or one of the seamless ball from Kingnik, Xushaofa, Yinhe, etc.  Are the best.  The Nittakus are generally more consistent and carry a bit more spin, while the seamless balls have a bit more bounce, aren't generally as consistent in roundness, etc. and carry a bit less spin.  And while the seamless balls are generally very similar and perhaps were once all identical, there now does seem to be some variations between different seamless brands even though we think they are all made in either one or possibly two factories. Also, the new Yinhe seamless in the red "international" box are thought to be slightly smaller and to carry spin a tad better than the blue box Yinhe balls.

In the past, any seamed ball from China was considered poor quality.  But these have improved some. Perhaps some brands have improved quite a bit.  Nonetheless, I've seen more ball breakages using the DHS ball in the Olympics than I think is typical.  I saw two ball breaks in one match.  

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
ri0t1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ri0t1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 12:23pm
Nittaku Premium 3 star celluloid are best :D
Xiom Europe Vegas|FH Tenergy 05|BH:Tenergy 05FX|
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 12:30pm
We use Kingnik, Yehne, Nexy and the Nittaku and none of the players seem to notice the difference.  The cost of the Yehne and Kingnik is much lower so we use more of them than anything else.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 12:31pm
I liked the nittaku a little better than the yinhe (xushoafa) and said so even though I sold the yinhe.

I do like the s40+ yinhe better than even the nittaku.  I know I sell them so...but I really do think that.  And factoring in price there's just no comparison. 
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 12:58pm
Wturber, there was an update to a leaflet somewhere which made allowances for official events to have their own logo added.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 2:16pm
My preference:

Fast match ball, hard feel = Butterfly G40+ (Attackers preference)

Medium speed match ball, appealing feel = Xushaofa (Defenders preference)

Training Ball, hard-ish fast-ish = Butterfly Easy Ball (Durable and good value)

Enjoy!
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 2:31pm
At first when G40+ came out I did not like it that much, now after playing with it for few months I think it is the best ball available. I will have to add that Butterfly quality control for this ball is a big question mark? !!! Whenever I buy a 12 pack, it seems as between 5-7 balls are perfectly round, the rest is not (I do this by performing simple spin test with fingers on the table). I also do not like that when you hit an edge with this ball, there is simply a mark/line on the ball so you can simply toss it! Or you can try to play with fire (matches / lighter) or heat gun/hairdryer but I doubt you will ever get 100% back of the roundness.
Overall once this ball is new and it confirms with the spin test and therefore it is round it is the best ball out there. Simply generates more spin, feedback and is accurate!
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Wturber, there was an update to a leaflet somewhere which made allowances for official events to have their own logo added.

I just checked the most recent T3 (March 2016) and you are correct.  

"For designated events, the ITTF may allow a second stamp to be applied on balls which are already ITTF approved and will be used only in that event. In this case, the second stamp shall be on the opposite site of the sphere and the lettering of both stamps shall have the same orientation. This means, if the center of the first stamp is interpreted as a point on the equator, the center of the second stamp shall be 180 degrees of longitude away and both letterings shall have their top side towards the north pole. The permission to print a second stamp and the design of the second stamp shall be individually authorized by the ITTF."

Thanks.  
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 3:48pm
For me it's...

1 - Gambler. New ball logo looks great, the ball sounds great. Price can't be matched. It's the ball our club uses.

2 - XSF. Only tied in quality. I really like this ball. We don't use it however. 

3 - Yinhe. A good ball. I should note I have the yinhe blue (which is the older one). I think it plays fine but after playing with the gambler ball, the Yinhe bounce sounds weird now as it sounds more plasticy if that makes any sense. This ball is good. Just the Gambler sounds a little better.

I'm going to a tournament in Sergeant Bluff IA this weekend where they'll be playing with Nittaku 3 star 40+. I'm sure it'll play great and be ever so slightly spinner than what i'm use to. But still can't go for this ball for the price. Our club could never afford it... If anybody is there this weekend, let me know and say hi.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by suds79 - 08/11/2016 at 3:49pm
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 4:15pm
I prefer the seamless balls, XSF, YinHe, Gambler.  (Haven't tried the new red box Cole has).

Next would be the Nittaku 3 Star and 2 Star.  If you get round ones I can't really tell much difference between the 2 balls.

Next down my list would be the Butterfly G40+.  Just can't seem to love this ball, but I play fine with it.  It does come with the problem of some not being round and also of creasing easily if it hits an edge.

I can't seem to even find a seamed Chinese made ball I really like.  Maybe that will change some day.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 4:47pm
I broke FOUR Nittaku NP40+ Premium in the last two sessions...brand new ones...they didn't even last five minutes each.  I had to use XSF instead.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 4:51pm
The XSF plays bigger than the NP40+ but otherwise it's very good.  I think if the factory actually reduced it a bit in size like Cole says, it should be ideal ball.  I don't want to pay $3+ each for NP40+ that last less than 5 minutes...
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

I broke FOUR Nittaku NP40+ Premium in the last two sessions...brand new ones...they didn't even last five minutes each.  I had to use XSF instead.

Ouch.  That's a couple of expensive sessions.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 5:40pm

In our last two-day tournament with over 60 players, I only needed a few more than one dozen NP40+ balls.  Breakage for us has been pretty rare.  Likewise, the 2* Nittakus that I'm using are holding up for long periods of time. They will crack from time to time, but not frequently - and I'm using hardbat.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 6:02pm
I almost never crack any of these balls.  Clearly I suck. Plus I brush the ball too much.

-cell balls played great out of the box but wore slick and light to the point where I wished they would break.

- plastic balls start out too gritty and heavy.  To me they just continue to get better until they do break.

One interesting report came from the Wichita club where they got a batch of yinhe blue box and almost none broke for months.  Then they all popped within a week like lightbulbs changed at the same time.

Edited by cole_ely - 08/11/2016 at 6:03pm
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 6:12pm
I probably had a bad batch...need to order more but now I am not sure I want to... Some new ones that my buddies brought recently sounded kinda weird, like "tiny"...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 6:14pm

I probably had a bad batch...need to order more but now I am not sure I want to... Some new ones that my buddies brought recently sounded kinda weird, like "tiny"...

Try the 2* balls instead.  At $2 each, it doesn't hurt as much to break or lose one.  I think they play pretty much the same.  I can't tell the difference.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I almost never crack any of these balls.  Clearly I suck. Plus I brush the ball too much.

I am the opposite. I´m a SP hard hitter and this poly ball can´t last more than 3 training sessions. I use DHS 40+ 1 star.
TT became more expensive for me after the new ball.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 7:31pm
[QUOTE) TT became more expensive for me after the new ball.[/QUOTE]

TT became less expensive for me after the new ball.  The balls are cheap and last much longer.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 8:36pm
MTS388,

The new ball really did not matter in your case.  You are just getting so old that you do not have the strength to break a ball (old or new) unless you step on it.

By the way,  I am getting to that same point pretty quickly.  Or maybe I am already there.

Mark - Pensioner who is saving money since he is too weak to break balls anymore.
RoyPips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyPips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2016 at 8:02am
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

In our last two-day tournament with over 60 players, I only needed a few more than one dozen NP40+ balls.  Breakage for us has been pretty rare.  Likewise, the 2* Nittakus that I'm using are holding up for long periods of time. They will crack from time to time, but not frequently - and I'm using hardbat.

We use Nittaku NP40+ Premium at our club and I don't remember any broken balls during game play. Big smile That has to be some kind of record among the balls. Clap

On the other hand, I have stepped on many balls and that seem to be only way to break them for me... LOL
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2016 at 9:21am
If you have not tried the newer, small logo Gambler ball I would encourage you to buy a box of 6 (less than 6.00) and give them a try.  Many of the players at our club groaned when I brought around some of the original Gambler seamless with the big logo.   After experiencing the breakage and inconsistency of many of the other plastic ball these same players now PEFER the Gambler.  Our standard club ball is some of the original X seamless balls. Most of our players feel this ball tends to float a bit and feels light.
It holds up very well.
In 8 months of play I have only had one Gambler ball break-it hit the edge of the table very hard.
Tom at zeropong is very serious about putting out a great product. I have talked on the phone with him many times and he can give you incedible detail about his ball. 
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2016 at 9:25am
PS   The last nittaku premium and the last G-40 Butterfly ball I played both broke in less than 5 min of warm-up play.  Cry   I don't think any seamed ball can compare with the seamless balls on the durability issue.
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2016 at 10:50am
Seamless is just a better way to go IMO. Hope all the balls go to seamless in the near future. I've rarely had any seamless balls break, but I still have seamed balls crack, although not as often as before. I played with a new DHS ball about 4 months ago and it still didn't bounce nearly as much as the Nittaku Prems, Butterfly G40+, or the seamless ones. Hope the DHS balls they used at the Olympics were improved, but doubt it.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Schlager72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2016 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Originally posted by CalibraTT CalibraTT wrote:

On this forum, the general consensus is that either the Nittaku Premium 3 star or one of the seamless ball from Kingnik, Xushaofa, Yinhe, etc.  Are the best.  The Nittakus are generally more consistent and carry a bit more spin, while the seamless balls have a bit more bounce, aren't generally as consistent in roundness, etc. and carry a bit less spin.  And while the seamless balls are generally very similar and perhaps were once all identical, there now does seem to be some variations between different seamless brands even though we think they are all made in either one or possibly two factories. Also, the new Yinhe seamless in the red "international" box are thought to be slightly smaller and to carry spin a tad better than the blue box Yinhe balls.

In the past, any seamed ball from China was considered poor quality.  But these have improved some. Perhaps some brands have improved quite a bit.  Nonetheless, I've seen more ball breakages using the DHS ball in the Olympics than I think is typical.  I saw two ball breaks in one match.  

Thanks Turber, that's a very informative post...

Edited by Schlager72 - 08/12/2016 at 12:39pm
M.Maze
FH H3 Neo (prov)
BH MX-P
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2016 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Seamless is just a better way to go IMO. Hope all the balls go to seamless in the near future. I've rarely had any seamless balls break, but I still have seamed balls crack, although not as often as before. I played with a new DHS ball about 4 months ago and it still didn't bounce nearly as much as the Nittaku Prems, Butterfly G40+, or the seamless ones. Hope the DHS balls they used at the Olympics were improved, but doubt it.

The durability knock on seamless balls is that edge hits with rackets tend to shatter them.  This becomes a pretty significant problem for players who are stong loopers who hit the ball with the edge of their blade frequently.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic