1 [9.09%]
3 [27.27%]
1 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time wasted talking about new 40+ balls
    Posted: 08/28/2016 at 3:56am

How many hours have you wasted talking about the 40+ Plastic balls on forums, at clubs, etc. ?

If the balls were properly R & D you wouldn't have wasted your chatter !!!

This doesn't even take in account your financial losses from trying different balls and breakage due to quality issues.

Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Sponsored Links

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2016 at 4:07am
Less than 10 hours, I'm a n00b Big smile
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2016 at 3:07pm
I'm probably underestimating at 40+.  That is certainly true if I include time spent on the lies and misinformation the ITTF put out regarding celluloid before the 40+ ball spec was released.  If I include time spent writing writing our club FAQ and the time spent doing bounce tests as well, I'm probably in the 100+ hours.  
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2016 at 3:28pm
5 minutes or less.
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2016 at 8:55pm
I started playing table tennis in the early 1980's and of course learned how to play with the small 38 ball. I stopped playing in 1990 and didn't pick it up again until 2002 and of course was introduced to the 40 ball and new service rule but at the time I was so excited about getting back into the game that the changes didn't affect my interest in the game one bit.

When the speed glue ban came into effect about 8yrs ago, it didn't really bother me much because I did find it rather strange that table tennis halls smelled like a science laboratory from all the players glueing and re-glueing. I got used to tensor rubber and continued playing at the same pace as before the glue ban.

This new 40+ ball change really pissed me off and I haven't really been motivated to play as much anymore since the change. I didn't understand the rationale behind the decision to make the ball change. I felt like there should have been way more quality assurance testing done before implementing the change. I felt like the pro players should have been given the opportunity to influence the decision on whether to change the ball or not. The new ball really affected my style of play in a negative way as I'm a spin oriented player and this bigger ball nullified the effectiveness of my trick spin shots and now forced me to play a more physical style in order to win points. When I watch the pros play and see how many times matches are interrupted because of break of ball, I find it embarrassing for our sport.

Let's just say that I still haven't fully embraced the new ball. I haven't bought any new balls and am not following the reviews on what the best brand is and in fact still have an unused case of brand new Nittaku white 40 balls collecting dust in my closet.

With all I just said, I just witnessed Vladimir Samsonov battle for the Olympic bronze medal in Rio and he is a player who also has somehow seemed to adjust his game to whatever challenges the new rule/equipment changes come with. He is truly a great ambassador to our sport and an inspiration to tall players like myself.

I just need to get over it and get back on the table.
who no know go know
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2016 at 10:16pm
"The new ball really affected my style of play in a negative way as I'm a spin oriented player and this bigger ball nullified the effectiveness of my trick spin shots and now forced me to play a more physical style in order to win points. "

I've said the same thing almost verbatim myself.  It feels like I've adjusted a bit.  Against some styles it hurts me, like when I'm trying to throw a looper off her game.  But against some styles I play better.  I play better against long pips because the spin is easier for me to manage now.  Plus the ball bounces higher which suites me since I can't bend my right knee as much anymore, and I'm 6-1.  Also the slower ball does give me more chance to get a bigger stroke in so I can compensate for spin with more physicality.

For sure I find myself getting winded faster.  Feels more like tennis no doubt.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 9:08am
I'm going to be experimenting again with pips out (sp,mp,lp all with sponge)...no need to talk about the newer balls.LOL

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 08/29/2016 at 9:10am
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 11:40am
There is no choice for zero.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 9:17pm
Nobody talks about polyballs in Tucson, because we can't afford them.  Tucsonan table tennis players don't go in for that there newfangled stuff.  We're hard core, even if I'm the only one outside of the garage or recroom who plays with a hardbat, and we drink our Bullleitt bourbon straight from the bottle.   
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 10:04pm
http://50.56.238.19/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/lets-talk-balls2-600x262.png

Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Nobody talks about polyballs in Tucson, because we can't afford them.  Tucsonan table tennis players don't go in for that there newfangled stuff.  We're hard core, even if I'm the only one outside of the garage or recroom who plays with a hardbat, and we drink our Bullleitt bourbon straight from the bottle.   

You can play with celluloid for "local" tournament but not for ITTF sanctioned tournaments.

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 08/29/2016 at 10:07pm
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2016 at 1:25am

We use the cell balls due to quality and cost issues unless necessary to practice for a tournament.

This eliminates all the different Poly balls.

We do appreciate all your consumer R & D OJT.

Since the US uses mostly NP40+ which most people on here say is the closest to a cell ball, We feel it is more cost efficient to use cell balls most of the time.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 08/30/2016 at 1:55am
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2016 at 2:23am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

"The new ball really affected my style of play in a negative way as I'm a spin oriented player and this bigger ball nullified the effectiveness of my trick spin shots and now forced me to play a more physical style in order to win points. "

I've said the same thing almost verbatim myself. 
I'm in the same boat.  My game was built by heavy, heavy spin and the new ball has really hurt it.  

I pushed our club into moving entirely to the 40+ balls, not because I like them (I hate them), but because I don't see the point in fighting ITTF.  Given a choice, I would go back to celluloid in a heartbeat and play a lot better (and with a lot more enjoyment).

One thing I noticed is that we have several noobies that started over the last couple of years and who have adapted to the new balls much quicker that more experienced players.  The result is that I see people with only two years of experience able to challenge people with 10 years of experience, whereas i am sure that if we had stayed with the celluloid ball, it would have taken them a lot longer to reach that level.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2016 at 6:34am
I have a spin based game also and if anything the new ball helps me.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2016 at 10:40am
Because I dislike the new ball, I've returned to what I enjoyed in the late 1980's which is strength training. I'm spending way more time lifting in the gym than I do playing TT. As a result, my rating has dropped under 2k but I placed 1st in the bench press and incline press competitions in my gym earlier this month. 

Edited by heavyspin - 08/30/2016 at 10:42am
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by The Canadian Bacon The Canadian Bacon wrote:

http://50.56.238.19/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/lets-talk-balls2-600x262.png

Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

You can play with celluloid for "local" tournament but not for ITTF sanctioned tournaments.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that you can for ITTF sanctioned events.  Celluloid balls are still legal under ITTF rules. But ITTF run events will not use celluloid.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic